The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #1661
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groverman62 View Post
Luckyday, does it really need to be like those shows? I ask that as a genuine question.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Old 10-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #1662
TLP
Hench Mutant

I think some of the story/character arcs drag on waaayyyy too long. (Mutagen Man, Karai, the turtles in April's cabin, and apparently the upcoming 13-episode story arc with the heroes in Space.)

In the case with "SnaKarai" (I apologize, that name is bad), the reason she wasn't cured by Season 3 is SIMPLY because they want to drag out her mutant state as long as possible so the heroes don't get their happy ending. (This show loves cliffhangers to the point where it's totally expected.) Even if it mean repeating the same plots over and over

I can't help post this link for others to read, as it reminds me of what this show does a lot with it's darker moments:
Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy
Old 10-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #1663
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLP View Post
I think some of the story/character arcs drag on waaayyyy too long. (Mutagen Man, Karai, the turtles in April's cabin, and apparently the upcoming 13-episode story arc with the heroes in Space.)

In the case with "SnaKarai" (I apologize, that name is bad), the reason she wasn't cured by Season 3 is SIMPLY because they want to drag out her mutant state as long as possible so the heroes don't get their happy ending. (This show loves cliffhangers to the point where it's totally expected.) Even if it mean repeating the same plots over and over

I can't help post this link for others to read, as it reminds me of what this show does a lot with it's darker moments:
Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy
Yeah this the show in spades. The characters often go through so much but it's doesn't feel like it most of the time. The show is dark and edgy but without any meaning behind its tragedies. It's just mostly shock factor and somehow that makes it seem less mature even with the dark subtext. It's like this is the kiddie version of Sucker Punch . A movie that trying to be dark and gritty but has a child's idea of it.

I really hated how they are dragging the out the mutant karai arc as long as possible. I was okay with at first because I thought it was going to be a extra layer of conflict of her adjusting but in reality it's an excuse to drag out it as long possible.
There going to be a point when people are going to get sick of this and it's only started recently with season 3. I can't help but feel that she was better off not being Miwa.

They are ruining one of their best well written character into a plot device. There's a lot of interesting potential that they can do instead more of this "capturing the flag" BS.
We’re not unicorns!

Last edited by Luckyday; 10-03-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:31 PM   #1664
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Reading all these post of April and I can't help but feel a similarity here.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #1665
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post

http://www.xcerebro.friko.pl/pics/galeria/ev5.jpg
Particularly something like this happens

(Warning Mute video or computer if you are offended by Lady Gaga.)

Old 10-04-2015, 12:29 AM   #1666
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:

I guess that makes Donnie and Casey the Cyclops and Wolverine of this series.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:11 AM   #1667
Stone Warrior

This season feels disjointed. First half dragged on too long (which is a shame I usually LIKE the Norhompton arc of the past adaptations), the second half about going after Karai led to nowhere and ended in a disappointing note.

The saving grace was the Triceraton arc, but it should have been built up more. Bishop should have more episodes.

Also kudos to the writers that they ease off a bit with the Don/April/Casey romance and allowed her to have actual interaction with the other Turtles, I just wish they don't forget her side plot regarding her missing mom.

Then they lost some brownie points how Casey said the last line that ended the season. I know Nickelodeon most likely demanded the writers to end the episode in a lighter note, but if your narrative has to the take a dark turn, stick to it. The kids will understand. The parents will understand.

We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)
Old 10-04-2015, 03:56 AM   #1668
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:

Yeah and I bet they are going to go with The Dark Phoenix route soon.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:14 AM   #1669
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Particularly something like this happens

(Warning Mute video or computer if you are offended by Lady Gaga.)

I've watched X-Men Evolution twice and I don't remember the Phoenix appearing outside of the flashforward in the final episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Yeah and I bet they are going to go with The Dark Phoenix route soon.
Yeah I have a hard time seeing April's powers going in a direction that isn't a dark one.
Spoiler:
But I hope it gets even darker than the Phoenix.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 10-04-2015 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:31 AM   #1670
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Still a Dark April plot could be an interesting twist in the story. And it could potentially settle the capritello side plot. Plus it has potential for a teen titans reference.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #1671
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I have mentioned the show failing it's tragedies before, but is it bad I didn't care for Splinter dying at all? Hear me out on this...

I'm going to ignore the novel for this as it's easier, but looking back, the show really hasn't built off it's depressing moments. I've mentioned Mutagen Man and Karai several times as examples, but Splinter really is settling up there. For example, take the Invasion when Splinter was thrown into the whirlpool by Shredder. Yes, all those present reacted how they did and it was executed well, by far one of my favorite scenes of the series. Then, it takes a serious case of ignoring the event in question.

During Northampton, the show had a perfect opportunity on the emotional turmoil with the fatherly figure of Splinter, which was brought up in his presumed demise in Within the Woods. However, as that arc proceeded onward, all conflicts in NYC for building off were few and far between. The only true time they contributed to Splinter is Vision Quest with his spirit directly out of the 1990 live action film. Following that episode, he's feral in Return to New York briefly, then all of a sudden back to normal thanks to deus ex April.

I can understand if I need to take time into account and imagine it for myself, but the issue is a television show should explain the context of what occurs. Even if I have fun doing it and immerses me further into the product, it doesn't contribute much to the plot. It ruins the significance of any event present if the character isn't handled well; considering Splinter's importance has declined heavily, they needed one major event to trump season 2 and 1. Balance of FW and 4kids or not, there's no justification to me on this at all.

Due to what they did with ignoring MM and failing to do meaningful ideas with Karai, this tragedy holds no place in my heart. It is simply for shock value and I'm not buying into it going into season 4. Not trying to be a Negative Nancy as I do love this Splinter, but I honestly don't trust what's set in store. It's essentially a double edged sword for me: if he survives, that proves these events are just shock values for minor setbacks. However, if Splinter is truly dead, I expect him to have an effect on the Turtles, Casey, and April (even Karai!) or it'll remain another failure on the show's part tragedy wise.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:33 PM   #1672
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
I have mentioned the show failing it's tragedies before, but is it bad I didn't care for Splinter dying at all? Hear me out on this...

I'm going to ignore the novel for this as it's easier, but looking back, the show really hasn't built off it's depressing moments. I've mentioned Mutagen Man and Karai several times as examples, but Splinter really is settling up there. For example, take the Invasion when Splinter was thrown into the whirlpool by Shredder. Yes, all those present reacted how they did and it was executed well, by far one of my favorite scenes of the series. Then, it takes a serious case of ignoring the event in question.

During Northampton, the show had a perfect opportunity on the emotional turmoil with the fatherly figure of Splinter, which was brought up in his presumed demise in Within the Woods. However, as that arc proceeded onward, all conflicts in NYC for building off were few and far between. The only true time they contributed to Splinter is Vision Quest with his spirit directly out of the 1990 live action film. Following that episode, he's feral in Return to New York briefly, then all of a sudden back to normal thanks to deus ex April.

I can understand if I need to take time into account and imagine it for myself, but the issue is a television show should explain the context of what occurs. Even if I have fun doing it and immerses me further into the product, it doesn't contribute much to the plot. It ruins the significance of any event present if the character isn't handled well; considering Splinter's importance has declined heavily, they needed one major event to trump season 2 and 1. Balance of FW and 4kids or not, there's no justification to me on this at all.

Due to what they did with ignoring MM and failing to do meaningful ideas with Karai, this tragedy holds no place in my heart. It is simply for shock value and I'm not buying into it going into season 4. Not trying to be a Negative Nancy as I do love this Splinter, but I honestly don't trust what's set in store. It's essentially a double edged sword for me: if he survives, that proves these events are just shock values for minor setbacks. However, if Splinter is truly dead, I expect him to have an effect on the Turtles, Casey, and April (even Karai!) or it'll remain another failure on the show's part tragedy wise.
Yup, damn if they do, pissing off the millions of children everywhere, and damn if they don't and taking away any credibility that was left within the show.

The ball is in your court, Brandon Auman.
We’re not unicorns!

Last edited by Luckyday; 10-17-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #1673
Penst0ck
Thug

There is a lack of Mona Lisa in this new intro, and it displeases me.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:42 AM   #1674
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penst0ck View Post
That,...and the theme song is now shortened.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:16 AM   #1675
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penst0ck View Post
I'm assuming she's going to have less than 5 episodes, that's kind of what this show does with most of it's characters.
Hahahaha!
Old 10-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #1676
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
So... You want the show to be flat-out terrible?
Old 10-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #1677
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

The problem with this show is that it goes for shock value. They have SO many good opportunities for plots, but they don't take them. Leonardo's attack should've given him PTSD, Raph should've stayed dark, Karai should've been resolved, so, yeah, I don't think they're going to handle this Splinter thing really well.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #1678
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foombamaroom View Post
The problem with this show is that it goes for shock value. They have SO many good opportunities for plots, but they don't take them. Leonardo's attack should've given him PTSD, Raph should've stayed dark, Karai should've been resolved, so, yeah, I don't think they're going to handle this Splinter thing really well.
Technically, Leo did go through a mild case of PTSD. His trying to deal with his leg injury. I felt it was handled pretty realistically given the type of show it is.

Last edited by ssjup81; 10-25-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #1679
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foombamaroom View Post
There's no way the show could've given Leo PTSD if Nick thought the finale was too adult so would Leo having PTSD. If the show was a comic aimed at adults I'm sure it'd be better , but it's a show ained at kids with elements aimed at fans.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #1680
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
So... You want the show to be flat-out terrible?
Why would it be terrible if it was more like one of those shows?
Hahahaha!
Closed Thread

Tags
cybercubeddefendsall, venting, whining