The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #181
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
But she didn't STOP him, he went through with it. He says he wouldn't be able to do it again. But he did it the first time.

And Defiant has a cloaking device. He coulda lied to Sisko, or just chartered a runabout to anywhere else outside UFP territory. Hell, do it in the Gamma Quadrant.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but that episode really felt manufactured and forced to me when I rewatched it this year. Great acting, great seeing Jadzia and Worf (and Sisko chewing out Worf), but it was definitely forced for it to work.
She contacted Doctor Bashir who revived him. Do you really think that Sisko would buy whatever excuse Worf would give him for needing to take his brother somewhere in a runabout or the Defiant?

Besides it was made clear killing is not something Worf was cool with. He had his arm twisted once and wasn't going to let it happen again. Next Gen spelled it out at the end of Redemption when he not only spared Duras' son but also prevented Kurn from killing him. It was spelled out again in Ethics when he was convinced not to commit ritual suicide himself and instead chose to take a risky operation to regain his mobility. He just isn't like other Klingons and it's just not his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, editorial was stifling creativity pretty hard during Jurgens's short run. At least he was the guy to make a hard push to finally end the Clone Saga, arguing fans were sick of reading it and writers were sick of writing it, and they eventually followed through, even if he didn't stick around for the resolution.

I always hate when he takes a "break" from Superman, because it just feels like a waste of time. Nobody can touch the guy, and whether it's five months or five years, he's gonna come back, so everything in-between just feels like spinning wheels until he inevitably gets the reigns back. You don't bench Michael Jordan, dammit!
I think the dip in sales and new management at Marvel going who is this blonde guy swinging around as Spider-Man we've got a cartoon with Peter Parker on the air. They were looking to reverse their decision to make Ben the new Spider-Man almost immediately after it happened, it was only a few issues in Peter returned in a support role during the mystery of the Spider-Man skeleton which was clear sign that the status quo would return. Seems a shame he didn't stick around to see Peter come back properly but I actually thought the work he did with Ben was pretty good even if he doesn't

Last edited by Galactus; 08-10-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #182
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't know if Jurgens really dislikes it, but I know he feels like he wasn't allowed to really do his best stuff and felt a little bait-and-switched. He really wanted to write Peter Parker as the main character and I know he was frustrated he wasn't allowed to do that, therefore, even giving it his best shot his heart wasn't really in it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:22 AM   #183
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Interesting. If the Hawley one happens, it won't be Kirk or Picard but connects to real Star Trek in a big way.

https://www.slashfilm.com/noah-hawle...r-trek-update/

That probably means it will never happen.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:11 PM   #184
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Kalinda Vazquez has been set to write a new “Star Trek” movie for Paramount Pictures and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot.

Vazquez, who was named after a character from the original 1960s series, wrote a recent Michelle Yeoh-centric episode of “Star Trek: Discovery” and has served as a consulting producer on the most recent season.

Oh, so it's a hack.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/vazquez...tar-trek-film/
Old 04-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #185
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Paramount dated a new Trek movie for June 2023. Only thing known about it is that JJ is still producing for some reason.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-next-sta...1846652498/amp
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:08 AM   #186
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Paramount dated a new Trek movie for June 2023. Only thing known about it is that JJ is still producing for some reason.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-next-sta...1846652498/amp
This movie is also not the one being presently written by Kalinda Vanquez and is seperate.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #187
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
This movie is also not the one being presently written by Kalinda Vanquez and is seperate.
With CBS and Paramount back together. They can do the movies based on the shows and use the same cast. Its the reason why we had the movies from the Kelvin timeline, Because Paramount couldn't use any of the characters from the CBS shows because back then the IPs was split, CBS with the TV rights and Paramount with the movie rights.

Now that Viacom and CBS are back together. They can do Star Trek movies with any of the characters from the TV shows if they want.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #188
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

The movie has a director - Matt Shakman, who did the WandaVision series.

Originally the article stated it would be with the Kelvin crew but that part has since been deleted.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/star-tr...an-1234792438/
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #189
CyberCubed
Overlord

I feel like we hear about a new director doing a new Star Trek movie every 6 months and then that idea is abandoned and then they do the same thing with another director. Isn't this like the 4th or 5th time we heard about a director doing a Star Trek movie and nothing comes of it?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #190
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
The movie has a director - Matt Shakman, who did the WandaVision series.

Originally the article stated it would be with the Kelvin crew but that part has since been deleted.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/star-tr...an-1234792438/
We've heard this before. I wonder if it will ever truly see the light of day.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:48 PM   #191
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They honestly don't have any business doing a Star Trek movie right now. It isn't like with the TOS cast where the TOS movies sprung from that show and were greatly looked forward to and became a thing or where the TNG movies slid off TV into movie screens. Because what are they going to give us, since they're ruling out Kelvin (as would be wise to)? Some random Star Trek event on the timeline? A big TNG/DS9/VOY movie would work but we all know that's just not going to happen. So what? Some kind of spinoff of STD or STP? How horrible that would be.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #192
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They honestly don't have any business doing a Star Trek movie right now. It isn't like with the TOS cast where the TOS movies sprung from that show and were greatly looked forward to and became a thing or where the TNG movies slid off TV into movie screens. Because what are they going to give us, since they're ruling out Kelvin (as would be wise to)? Some random Star Trek event on the timeline? A big TNG/DS9/VOY movie would work but we all know that's just not going to happen. So what? Some kind of spinoff of STD or STP? How horrible that would be.
Agreed. Star Trek is a mess right now. An I.P. that lost it's identity to identity politics and CW-style drama writing. It's a "relevancy show from the perspective of an echo-chamber" rather than a show first that is punctuated with relevancy and morality plays.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:35 PM   #193
CyberCubed
Overlord

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/s...na-1235021307/

Star Trek 4 to begin filming for a 2023 release. Chris Pine and the 2009 cast are all back besides Chekov. I wonder if they'll recast or just ignore him.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:03 PM   #194
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Agreed. Star Trek is a mess right now. An I.P. that lost it's identity to identity politics and CW-style drama writing. It's a "relevancy show from the perspective of an echo-chamber" rather than a show first that is punctuated with relevancy and morality plays.
That's what it always was.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:07 PM   #195
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
That's what it always was.
It always was a creatively boring pseudo-sci-fi nothingburger, pandering to a small echo chamber?
Boy, I wonder how it has become so popular in this case?
Or maybe, someone just projects their impaired beliefs again...

Last edited by Sumac; 02-15-2022 at 07:11 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:18 PM   #196
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Terrible news. There's nothing left to milk with Kelvin Trek unless they want to make it a "fixing the timeline" movie with one last adventure.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:35 PM   #197
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
It was always was a creatively boring pseudo-sci-fi nothingburger, pandering to a small echo chamber?
Boy, I wonder how it has become so popular in this case?
Or maybe, someone just projects their impaired beliefs again...
That's you're interpretation of what I said...which is wrong.

And no, I didn't project my personal beliefs onto the Star Trek franchise. Gene Roddenberry was very open about the show being a vehicle to comment on social and political issues and promoting progressive politics. Now Roddenberry has never been the be all and end all of the franchise but while other writers have differed in their approach their end goal was always the same. Now you don't have to be a progressive yourself to enjoy Star Trek, after all it's a work of fiction but no one should deceive that the franchise is anything but what it is.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:51 PM   #198
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
And no, I didn't project my personal beliefs onto the Star Trek franchise. Gene Roddenberry was very open about the show being a vehicle to comment on social and political issues and promoting progressive politics. Now Roddenberry has never been the be all and end all of the franchise but while other writers have differed in their approach their end goal was always the same. Now you don't have to be a progressive yourself to enjoy Star Trek, after all it's a work of fiction but no one should deceive that the franchise is anything but what it is.
"Star Trek was always a left-leaning property, but it was never inaccessible to Conservatives on the Right. The Next Generation was the first in the franchise’s history to tackle important social topics without the heavy handedness of political bias. Rather, it presented common sense answers to difficult questions in an era when nobody thought Wokeness would ever become a thing.

Even though the Star Trek franchise has been hijacked and irredeemably corrupted by The Next Generation’s principal actors (and Paramount writ large), the show itself is a breath of fresh air that feels timelessly enjoyable. What a shame that the modern Left have decided to ignore every single moral lesson it tried so hard to talk about."

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/...5t8RHnth-xYLAQ
Old 02-15-2022, 07:20 PM   #199
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
That's you're interpretation of what I said...which is wrong.

I don't think that was his interpretation. I think that's basically the only recourse you'd leave most reasonable people to think given your response.

And your thing about "progressive Star Trek"? Yeah. That is always what Star Trek was, but Discovery is beyond "progressive". It's purely tailored for the "cult of cry".

Roddenberry's "progressive" meant a future accepting of everyone. Discovery's "progressive" is woke $#!( - a far cry from a future accepting of everyone. Woke $#!( isn't "progressive". It's just an angry assault from a generation of people who got trophies for failing and blame rrrrraasssss-cism when they fail in real life and don't get the reward.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:16 PM   #200
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"Star Trek was always a left-leaning property, but it was never inaccessible to Conservatives on the Right. The Next Generation was the first in the franchise’s history to tackle important social topics without the heavy handedness of political bias. Rather, it presented common sense answers to difficult questions in an era when nobody thought Wokeness would ever become a thing.

Even though the Star Trek franchise has been hijacked and irredeemably corrupted by The Next Generation’s principal actors (and Paramount writ large), the show itself is a breath of fresh air that feels timelessly enjoyable. What a shame that the modern Left have decided to ignore every single moral lesson it tried so hard to talk about."

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/...5t8RHnth-xYLAQ
You could have written you're own rebuttal rather than quote a site which is essentially an alt right front that regularly report rumours that any idiot could see is untrue to stir up alt right types against media and creators they don't like.

What they said here is clearly wrong. There's always been a certain amount of Conservatives who have long thought of Star Trek as their own. It's somewhat understandable as it certainly looks militaristic particularly the movies. I've certainly read some interesting Conservative interpretation of episodes...but from interviews we know they are wrong.

There's also been people of more right leaning persuasion that picked up that Star Trek was a very left leaning show and enjoyed it anyway. That's fine as a work of fiction it doesn't have to align with your real world views. Star Trek has definitely changed over the decades but the Conservative 'movement' has changed way more that if any of the classic shows were aired for the first time today the political right would be in meltdown.

Utopia is achieved by abandoning capitalism, hard borders are seen as bad. I can only imagine how the early episodes of Next Gen were it was shows men cross dressing was normal would be recieved. All the issue episodes would be seen as preachy.

The casting of Levar Burton best known for his role in Roots would raise eyebrows. The casting of Avery Brookes as the lead with his views on race, having his character collect African art, then have the actor direct Far Beyond The Stars would have been denounced as IMJ would put it "woke ****".

I'm not a huge fan of Discovery but I find my problems with it are very different to the show's loudest detractors which seem to take issue with any kind of minority being present. Even before the show aired people were getting very angry that the lead character was a black woman and writing it off as terrible. If that's what the modern political finds alienating about the new Star Trek shows...well it doesn't paint them in a positive light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I don't think that was his interpretation. I think that's basically the only recourse you'd leave most reasonable people to think given your response.

And your thing about "progressive Star Trek"? Yeah. That is always what Star Trek was, but Discovery is beyond "progressive". It's purely tailored for the "cult of cry".

Roddenberry's "progressive" meant a future accepting of everyone. Discovery's "progressive" is woke $#!( - a far cry from a future accepting of everyone. Woke $#!( isn't "progressive". It's just an angry assault from a generation of people who got trophies for failing and blame rrrrraasssss-cism when they fail in real life and don't get the reward.
Calm down. You don't even know what woke means. What does any of what you have to do with Star Trek anyway? Is there any version of the property new or old that advocates getting trophies for failing? You do these rants about everything whether it fits or now. Calm down.

Tags
discuckery and pukard