The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-22-2022, 02:11 PM   #21
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I wouldn't say 'I win' but I have never heard of those shows. Not even in passing.

Like I never had HBO and never seen The Sopranos or Game of Thrones, but I have heard of them.
Well things can still exist and be very popular even if you haven’t heard of them. Lol.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:52 PM   #22
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Amen to that. I've suffered through the first one just out of morbid curiosity but couldn't bring myself to watch the other two.

Singular Point was better; it had better pacing, soundtrack, animation, and characters, but a lot of the story was needlessly complicated and too full of pseudoscientific jargon.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:18 PM   #23
Allio
Foot Elite

TWhich is a shame apparently in an interview that Gen Urobutcher wanted more action in his anime movie trilogy, but Toho wanted it more serious.

Last edited by Allio; 01-22-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #24
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Weird. I can totally see if Toho wanted Singular Point to be its "cerebral" or "intellectual" take on Godzilla then it makes sense (as those are two words I'd use to describe the vibe of the show), unfortunately I think it also made the show come out a little boring
Old 01-22-2022, 04:45 PM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
God those cgi trilogy movies on Netflix were just bad and more sadly boring.
YEAH they were.
Man I tried to get through them too, but I barely made it through the first one. I started the second and just turned it off minutes in.
IMJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #26
Allio
Foot Elite

Now I did like Cosmic Horror Ghidorah. Especially when it was summoned and the readings on the ship registered no life signs, causing the passengers to realize they were already dead.

Also I liked the idea of Mechagodzilla city. The idea that the AI in Mecha Godzilla evolved on it’s own beyond it’s shell was neat. But I understand that people were disappointed in what amounted to a game of Tower Defense.

Again I feel like if Gen Urobutcher was allowed to be the Butcher, I think things would be different.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:54 PM   #27
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Now I did like Cosmic Horror Ghidorah. Especially when it was summoned and the readings on the ship registered no life signs, causing the passengers to realize they were already dead.

Also I liked the idea of Mechagodzilla city. The idea that the AI in Mecha Godzilla evolved on it’s own beyond it’s shell was neat. But I understand that people were disappointed in what amounted to a game of Tower Defense.

Again I feel like if Gen Urobutcher was allowed to be the Butcher, I think things would be different.
Yeah. It had a couple of good ideas but man it really made them dull.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:59 PM   #28
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
Yeah. It had a couple of good ideas but man it really made them dull.
I was going to post this too in response to Allio - it's true.... solid ideas with just awful execution.

I wonder if these would've fared better as classic, hand-drawn anime? Just a thought even though that wouldn't change the content.
IMJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:20 PM   #29
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I was going to post this too in response to Allio - it's true.... solid ideas with just awful execution.

I wonder if these would've fared better as classic, hand-drawn anime? Just a thought even though that wouldn't change the content.
It would have just looked better but still be dull. If they could have smashed the 3 movies into 1 then maybe they’d have been able to keep up a pace to keep the audience awake. Lol.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:26 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I mostly liked the first Godzilla CGI anime on Netflix. It's an interesting concept. They other two... eh, they kind of got lost in the weeds there and made it like a religious thing, oddly.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #31
Allio
Foot Elite

Now I am looking forward to this series. One thing about the Monsterverse while MCU feels kind of samey and the DCEU is busy trying to course correct itself, Monsterverse is unique in a way where each film is distinctive in it’s own tone and style. You can gather a bunch of different people and no doubt there list of “best film” would differ from person to person (as much as four films can differ.)

So I am curious to see what kind of style the show would go for.

Edit: also it’s hilarious seeing Kong fans moving goal posts about how either how he should have won or how Kong was cheated in his fight. Like I get that the “underdog” story is satisfying when they overcome the adversity, but I do think there is something to understanding your limitations.

Last edited by Allio; 01-30-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:41 AM   #32
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Now I am looking forward to this series. One thing about the Monsterverse while MCU feels kind of samey and the DCEU is busy trying to course correct itself, Monsterverse is unique in a way where each film is distinctive in it’s own tone and style. You can gather a bunch of different people and no doubt there list of “best film” would differ from person to person (as much as four films can differ.)

So I am curious to see what kind of style the show would go for.
Yeah, the MonsterVerse is nice because each film has a distinct flavor. I appreciate Godzilla (2014) a lot more now that there are more movies in the MonsterVerse; it did a really good job of building tension and creating a distinct ambiance (it's still far from a perfect film but it's still highly enjoyable, I think). Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. Kong are probably the two most similar in tone but they still have unique offerings.

I think Mothra is different enough that she could hold her own as headliner of a feature film, she has some really cool lore from the original Toho movies that was hinted at in KotM and the canon MonsterVerse comics. Rodan, unfortunately, has kinda picked-up a lackey or henchmen-type of vibe, I don't know that a movie centered around him would work. But I would definitely like to see more of him and all of the original kaijus created for the MonsterVerse on the big screen.

If the show is mainly going to focus on human stories, it needs to be really well-written. I understand it won't have the budget to do massive kaiju fights like a movie would so I won't expect that from it.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:19 PM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I heard this series will take place between Godzilla 2014 and King of the Monsters.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:27 PM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

The very first post in this thread contains a description that says it takes place after King of the Monsters.

Jesus Christ.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:27 PM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I heard this series will take place between Godzilla 2014 and King of the Monsters.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...00&postcount=7
Old 01-31-2022, 03:28 PM   #36
Leo656
The Franchise

I wonder who the f*ck types out his posts for him since by all evidence he can't even read.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:32 AM   #37
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

One of the dudes from Workaholics has been cast in the show

Old 11-20-2023, 12:41 AM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So two episodes are already out of "Monarch." It LOOKS pretty solid, like the first project to take things seriously since the 2014 Godzilla.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:29 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Watched the first two. Wow, this is really good! Very sharply written, likeable characters. Such a contrast with the last couple of films. I'll definitely keep tuning in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Oh, and this seems to be true. The show is primarily set in 2015, one year after Godzilla. Also with flashbacks to the 50s and 70s.

Also, Wyatt Russell is in the 1950s flashbacks and Kurt Russell plays the same character in 2015.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:33 PM   #40
Roseangelo
Emperor

I've been watching it—very good!!
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote