The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #61
CyberCubed
Overlord

I would never watch a videogame over playing it. Then again I was born in the 80's, I don't get the whole youtube generation.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #62
sdp
-

Specific Game fandoms are smaller unless you count Gaming fandoms which incorporate all games, so I have to agree with Cubed.

But let's go back to the Dino-Rider timeline
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord

If TMNT never existed or failed, Power Rangers would have never been localized stateside most likely.

So I think Batman: TAS would have been even bigger than it was, it had to deal with competition from TMNT and Power Rangers at the time. Then I guess Spiderman and X-men: TAS would have continued.

But then again by 1997/1998 the anime craze would have still happened so Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Digimon, etc. would have killed off everything as usual like it did.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #64
sdp
-

We already discussed this, Power Rangers would've happened since it's very different and Saban had been pitching the show for many years, it was finally picked up because of the Dinosaur theme when prior pitches didn't have it.

The martial arts of the TMNT didn't have a big effect on Power Rangers being picked up because of its martial arts, that 80s boom of martial arts had already finished and PRs started it again. The only influence from TMNT is the long title of "Mighty Morphin" since many shows included long descriptive titles because of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but that's about it.

I wish the anime craze hadn't happened in the US, after that happened the US multi-nationals started acquiring the worldwide license rights for dubs and the rest of the world started getting censored dubs because of Americanized standards. Before that the rest of the world would get uncensored/original soundtrack faithful adaptations. Thankfully DBZ had already finished around most of the world when it began its popularity in the US, but Pokemon wasn't so lucky, we all got the crappy 4Kids version and everything after that pretty much. At last at animes aimed at kids, only exception I can think of is Digimon which did get uncensored dubs around this time.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #65
CyberCubed
Overlord

It is bizarre Pokemon has never had the original released overseas. When it first started they were trying so hard to pretend Pokemon was a cartoon and not an anime in the dub, even though just by the visual style alone and all those weird Japanese only anime gags you would never see in cartoons (that later shows like Teen Titans or Nick's TMNT use) appeared in it.

For the first few seasons it didn't really matter, but now the recent pokemon gens dubs like DP, XY, SM, etc. are completely ruined by the dubs. Not even talking about the voices, but the music changes are atrocious.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #66
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I personally loved the 4Kids dub of Pokemon, despite them calling rice balls doghnuts The voices for the main cast were pretty iconic and I loved some of the stuff they came up like the Pokerap and other songs not present in the Japanese dub.

I was one of those fans in 2006/2007 who was so outraged by the voice change from 4Kids to Pokemon USA that I stoppped watching the anime entirely after season 8. It was only with Sun and Moon that I started watchig the dub again, and I have to admit, they've grown on me. Pokemon USA has been dubbing since 2006 so all the new VAs are used to their roles and it once again feels nostalgic listening to them.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #67
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Pokemon USA has been dubbing since 2006 so all the new VAs are used to their roles and it once again feels nostalgic listening to them.
Well it probably helps matters Ash and TR are the only older characters still around, besides the once in a blue moon Prof. Oak shows up. Besides a few old character cameos, none of the new characters from DP onward ever had any old voices so there's nothing to compare them to.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #68
sdp
-

The original Engish and Spanish dub voices are great, it's the edits that kill it and everyone except japan got the 4kids American edits which is frankly unfair.

I was excited for the dub change because while I loved the original cast I thought PUSA/TPCi would be better than 4kids but they seem no different and we just have worse VAs. I still haven't gotten used to Ash even if the new dub has had more episodes than the others, and even new characters don't feel "right", I don't know why. I'm not even a too anal when it comes to dub changes, I usually don't mind them that much.

Pokemon is too repetitive for me to ever watch the original japanese version subtitled tho, so my only option is the dub.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #69
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

To be fair, some of the obscure VAs of 4Kids joined Pokemon USA after the whole drama finished and everything calmed down.

Famous examples are Gary Oak and Giovanni, who are still voiced by the same people who voiced them in their first appearances.

Pokemon USA is also more faithful to the Original Japanese script rather than making their own script and dialogue up as they go along like 4Kids did I found the 4Kids edits pretty funny and memorable though, so being faithful might come across as dull when no liberties are taken.

If we ever get a long running tmnt show again, I hope it doesn't get an entire cast change in the middle of the series like Pokemon did. That would cause an uproar of apocalyptic proportions in the drome.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 01-16-2018 at 12:13 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #70
sdp
-

All the original Voice Actors of the 4Kids Pokemon dub went to dub Dinosaur King (my review) and it's awesome.

The show has similar enough characters so Veronica Taylor, Rachael Lillis, Sean Schemmel, Eric Stewart, Madeleine Blaustein, Mike Pollock are all in it and voice characters similar to Ash, the gang, Team Rocket etc.

It actually feels you with the nostalgia of the Pokemon dub that was missed after they changed the actors. The show itself is also a Pokemon clone but with dinosaurs but it goes its own way and is super wacky. Super cool show, too bad Sega has abandoned the series, I would love more video games and a new show based on Dinosaur King.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #71
CyberCubed
Overlord

To be fair nobody could have predicted the pokemon anime would be running for 20 years, when the anime first started most expected it to just go on a few years and then end. If you went back in time to 1998 and told people Ash would still be the main character 20 years and 1000 eps later, along with Team Rocket still being around, people would have thought you were crazy.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #72
sdp
-

Yes, I hate those never ending animes like Doraemon, I like my things to end. Pokemon really should've had a new cast member for the second series like most anime do in this type of shows, I really wonder why they stuck with the same cast when the games were obviously going for the "generations" thing.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #73
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
You are sorely, sorely mistaken. The Nintendo fanbase is nuts.
As well as close minded when it comes to educating themselves on non-Nintendo history.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote