The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-16-2021, 06:13 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Mandela Effect... have you?

For me today there was one. Apparently John Carpenter just gave an interview about Halloween Kills or whatever it is... and I was damn sure I read that he died this past year or so. Like, I specifically remember going at some point, "Damn. Now we're really never going to get Escape from Earth."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:53 AM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

I can't comment on John Carpenter, but I do have something similar to this.

One of my best friend's and I both have the same 8th grade memory. It involves being at a school dance, last dance, someone pairing us with this girl we knew, to dance for like 5 seconds before the whole night ends.

We discussed it in high school and laughed about it again in college. All the same details in our memory, such as the cheetah print shirt the girl was wearing at the time, the person who paired us up. Same school, same dance, obviously. We argued over who's memory it was, but the thing is - neither of us were involved in each others recollection of that memory, so it's not likely one of us saw the whole thing play out and absorbed it as their own memory.

Honestly, I like to think of it as some type of data-transfer. I think that sort of stuff happens when you spend enough time around someone. Whenever I get close to people, I notice we start to think the same things at the same time, or they text me right as I'm thinking of them - stuff like that.

It reminds me how women will hit their menstrual cycle around the same time of the month, if they start spending a lot of time with each other - it's like the mental version of that. We just don't fully understand it yet.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:02 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's probably due to being in online fandoms for 20 years now, but I feel virtually everything I read online about DC or Mavel superheroes, TMNT, Star Wars, Star Trek, Nintendo games, Pokemon, Simpsons, anime, big 80's and 90's movies, various comedies etc.....I could of sworn I read the same discussions or debates about all of these decades ago. And I have.

Besides the "new content" that didn't exist a decade ago, I always feel like people repeat the same arguments about every franchise over and over again to death. To the point where I already know where a conversation is going to go right when it starts. And it's different people too or people new to these franchises...but they come to the same conclusions and post the same things I remember people saying 15+ years ago.

I guess being on online forums for 20+ years will do this though.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:52 AM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

I recently watched the episode of Futurama where Leela finds out she's a mutant. The way I remembered it, it wasn't revealed that she was a mutant until the end of the episode. What actually happens is that it made clear from the start that she's a mutant and we see several flashbacks explaining the origin, it's just Leela herself who don't find out until the end.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:24 AM   #5
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"Damn. Now we're really never going to get Escape from Earth."
As much as I would love for that film to happen, I’d bet it never does!
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

I first heard of this phenomenon on a James Rolfe video some years ago. It's basically a fancy name for people basically misremembering something. Nothing wrong with giving it a name, mind you!

One thing that baffles me is how so many Americans online claim to remember watching a movie titled Shazaam with a genius called Sinbad as the main character back in the 90s. How does that happen?!

I can think of 3 instances of me being a victim of the Mandela Effect:

1 - The Kit Kat dash. I swear there was a dash in the Kit Kat logo. For years I wrote that chocolate's name as Kit-Kat.

2 - Pikachu's tail. You mean the tip of his tail isn't brown but yellow like the rest of it?! WHAT

3 - "THAT'S GOTTA BE KANE!" wait that was Vince and not JR?!
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Fun fact: Nelson Mandela's presidency (April 1994–June 1999) lasted for about one more year than Donald Trump's (January 2017–January 2021).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I've posted about it here before but I remember seeing as a kid an episode of the 1987 TMNT where the turtles went to a Channel 6 costume party near the coast and they were happy because they could be in the party without worrying, then a pirate ship attacked and skeleton pirates attacked.
I've mentioned it here a few times and I always get told that episode doesn't exist or get told it's two other episodes which they aren't.

I also remember being able to get inside E. Honda's Bathtub of Street Fighter II.

I also remember one time during a vacation months before the episode "who shot Mr. Burns?' came out, I made a friend with another kid from the hotel, and he told me he had played a PC game called "Who killed Mr. Burns?" and that in the end you find out it was maggie. Just a few months later "Who shot Mr. Burns? airs and everyone was speculating, because of the friend I had made I thought the episode was based off the PC game and told everyone it was maggie. Everyone laughed at me and it ended up being Maggie, everyone just thought I had cheated and had already seen the episode somehow. I'm not sure if this counts as Mandela effect now that I think about it but still weird since no such game exists, could've been that guy just making stuff up and somehow being right or perhaps he did get to watch the episode beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's probably due to being in online fandoms for 20 years now, but I feel virtually everything I read online about DC or Mavel superheroes, TMNT, Star Wars, Star Trek, Nintendo games, Pokemon, Simpsons, anime, big 80's and 90's movies, various comedies etc.....I could of sworn I read the same discussions or debates about all of these decades ago. And I have.

Besides the "new content" that didn't exist a decade ago, I always feel like people repeat the same arguments about every franchise over and over again to death. To the point where I already know where a conversation is going to go right when it starts. And it's different people too or people new to these franchises...but they come to the same conclusions and post the same things I remember people saying 15+ years ago.

I guess being on online forums for 20+ years will do this though.
That's not mandella effect, it's more like deja vu and not really either. Still interesting. I feel honored to have watched you troll Misty fangirls/boys for over two decades now

Last edited by sdp; 02-16-2021 at 06:49 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
ne claim to remember watching a movie titled Shazaam with a genius called Sinbad as the main character back in the 90s. How does that happen?!
I guess "Kazaam" and "Shazam" are pretty easy to get mentally switched around.

Also, totally off-topic but I think Sinbad is like the whitest black guy I've ever seen. I swear he used to be a lot darker-skinned than he is now. Unless that's my mind playing tricks on me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:54 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I guess "Kazaam" and "Shazam" are pretty easy to get mentally switched around.

Also, totally off-topic but I think Sinbad is like the whitest black guy I've ever seen. I swear he used to be a lot darker-skinned than he is now. Unless that's my mind playing tricks on me.
Still, who'd confuse Shaqueille O Neil with Sinbad? Isn't Shaq as tall as the Big Show?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:54 AM   #11
Slade
god status

We're all in an alternate timeline

Nah, I can't think of any off the top that isn't the usual common ones listed. Berenstain or Berenstein and all that.

Though I am pretty sure Fruit of the Loom did have a cornucopia
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I just rewatched "Wanted" for the first time in years. Huh. If you were to ask me before this, I would have said one of the most memorable things in the movie was the sex scene with Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy... but it turns out there wasn't one at all! wtf...
Old 09-10-2021, 10:33 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

One I had was in a re-watch of The Sopranos.

Spoiler:
Dr. Melfi gets raped & I swore she had Tony exact revenge for her, but in fact, her choosing the moral high ground by NOT doing that is what a following episode is entirely built around.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:27 AM   #14
Sumac
Banned

I had a case of a fake "Mandela effect", when after watching Terminator 2 on TV I haven't seen several scenes, which I remembered from watching this movie on TV before.

I thought, "am I going insane?" "maybe I dreamt them?". But nope - it just our TV people got their hands on an extended edition and were broadcasting it in the middle of the 90s.
And later they were broadcasting regular, theatrical edition, which didn't had some scenes.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:39 AM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Red Sails in the Sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I've posted about it here before but I remember seeing as a kid an episode of the 1987 TMNT where the turtles went to a Channel 6 costume party near the coast and they were happy because they could be in the party without worrying, then a pirate ship attacked and skeleton pirates attacked.:
That happened in Red Sails in the Sunset, an Archie Comic, dated Spring 1991

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2011/...in-sunset.html
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:41 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Denver the Last Dinosaur." I swear this was "Dino the Last Dinosaur." I can even still hear the theme song in my head: "Di-no, the Last Dinosaur... he's our friend and a whole lot more!"
Old 01-30-2024, 04:34 PM   #17
Sumac
Banned

All over the place, but its just my memory is so horrible, so I am easily confused.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote