The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #3641
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I never understood the behind-the-scenes reasons of just WHY the Captain N cartoon had to use such wacked-out designs. I think the closest looking ones were Wily, Eggplant Wizard and King Hippo, cept he was green for some reason.

Like I don't get it. These weren't lawyer-friendly parodies, they got the actual rights from Capcom and so forth to use the characters, so I don't get it. I mean the Mario cartoon was on point, small exception King Koopa, but the first NES game did make him look like that due to graphic limitations.

Same with Sonic. They got the rights from SEGA, why the weird Robotnik design as well as Scratch and Grounder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I actually thought the Captain N designs had something to do with the presentation of the intellectual properties and the language under which Nintendo was allowed to present them.

For example, Nintendo had rights to Mega Man, but it couldn't be Capcom's Mega Man directly. Something akin to how the Enterprise in the new crap T.V. shows had to be "25% different" or whatever.

I'm doing a deep dive on something I read about Captain N many years ago when I became nostalgic for seeing again, but I recall something like that.
Yaknow... I'm not sure if Capcom, Konami or any other company besides Nintendo is mentioned in the show's end credits. It might even note "all characters are property of Nintendo." It probably did have a lot to do with Nintendo of America's direction as to the look of characters. And maybe that's tied together with the restrictive third-party licenses they demanded around that time.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #3642
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 09-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #3643
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

This is actually an import from the UK. It was scheduled for release back in 2018, but was never released. So I figured I'd just import it. I hope I don't end up regretting it though, since the same thing happened with the G.I. Joe movies on 4K. They were supposed to get released on 4K in 2018 too, and they actually got released on 4K this year finally. There's still no word on this release getting a US release though.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:14 AM   #3644
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Playing with Power: The Nintendo Story

Old 09-25-2021, 06:56 PM   #3645
Leo656
The Franchise

For my Birthday, my wife got me the movie "Clue".

Today at Target I picked up "Zack Snyder's Justice League" on Blu-ray.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #3646
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Got Cowboy Bebop the complete Series for my Birthday

Old 09-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #3647
mrmaczaps
Banned

I picked up ALF the complete series.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #3648
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 10-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #3649
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins

Old 10-22-2021, 08:57 PM   #3650
Leo656
The Franchise

I picked up "Idiocracy" and "Dirty Work". Never seen "Dirty Work", but after hearing it come highly recommended from many Norm MacDonald fans I decided it was worth the cheap price I paid for it.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch either one of them for a week and change, since in this house we're only "allowed" to watch horror movies all October long.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:18 AM   #3651
IMJ
Emperor

Last night I decided to pick up Norton's Motherless Brooklyn. I've been meaning to watch it again since seeing it in the theater. Very underrated movie.

But was super disappointed to find that it wasn't released physically in 4k, only Blu Ray. But it was streamed in 4k (which usually doesn't look like 4k anyway). But now I'm deciding whether or not to bother with the Blu Ray for 8 bucks or so, or just to download a "4k" copy.

4k downloads never look as good as sourced from the disc. Same with HD.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #3652
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Scream

This was supposed to come out on October 19th, but it got delayed for some reason. Sometimes stores would get them in eventually, although not a lot, and you could even order it from sites sometimes. I preordered a copy from Best Buy, and they finally shipped it out to me last Saturday. I got it on Thursday, but it was one of those that was packaged in a clear Blu-ray case instead of a 4K Blu-ray case. I've seen people post pictures of those too. It's a good thing I haven't opened it, since I found out that a Best Buy store had some copies in stock, and I placed a pickup order online. Once it was ready, I went to get it, and it was packaged in the right case. So I returned the one in the clear Blu-ray case.

I'll also show a picture of it, together with the copy of Snake Eyes that I got, since they were both supposed to come out the same day.

Old 11-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #3653
IMJ
Emperor

It's truly a growing chore to maintain a quality physical media collection when it comes to finding new material. Most stuff now I just order through Amazon.

On that note, my Underworld 4k box set was.... I dunno... lost or something and I got a refund from Amazon. Now I've got to hunt that down.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:38 PM   #3654
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
It's truly a growing chore to maintain a quality physical media collection when it comes to finding new material. Most stuff now I just order through Amazon.
I noticed that when I went on my latest Neca TMNT hunt at my local Target store. There was the two displayers of brand new releases Free Guy and The Suicide Squad split 50/50 and then the seasonal display of Christmas classics movies and specials. Aside from that it was a single aisle of two rows filed and one aisle had one side completely filled. That was it. That has to be the lowest stock of a major store I have seen approaching the Holiday season. I was shocked honestly. It must have to do with the pandemic limiting supplies of basically anything.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #3655
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I noticed that when I went on my latest Neca TMNT hunt at my local Target store. There was the two displayers of brand new releases Free Guy and The Suicide Squad split 50/50 and then the seasonal display of Christmas classics movies and specials. Aside from that it was a single aisle of two rows filed and one aisle had one side completely filled. That was it. That has to be the lowest stock of a major store I have seen approaching the Holiday season. I was shocked honestly. It must have to do with the pandemic limiting supplies of basically anything.
I believe it has more to do with how physical media isn't in demand as much as it was before. So stores have been truncating those sections for a while. I don't think the pandemic is a factor.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:06 AM   #3656
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I noticed that when I went on my latest Neca TMNT hunt at my local Target store. There was the two displayers of brand new releases Free Guy and The Suicide Squad split 50/50 and then the seasonal display of Christmas classics movies and specials. Aside from that it was a single aisle of two rows filed and one aisle had one side completely filled. That was it. That has to be the lowest stock of a major store I have seen approaching the Holiday season. I was shocked honestly.
Yeah even the fact that they carried basically only two new releases I think speaks volumes as to the status of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I believe it has more to do with how physical media isn't in demand as much as it was before. So stores have been truncating those sections for a while. I don't think the pandemic is a factor.
Agreed 100%. Remember when going to Best Buy was a shopping event simply by going into the CD and DVD section on it's own merits? Now the DVD section is basically a single Gondola setup maybe alongside one or two promo-cardboard facings and that's it.

God help me when my Oppo UDP-203 one day craps out on me. By that time it might be a real chore finding an "everything capable" disc player even.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #3657
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:

Agreed 100%. Remember when going to Best Buy was a shopping event simply by going into the CD and DVD section on it's own merits? Now the DVD section is basically a single Gondola setup maybe alongside one or two promo-cardboard facings and that's it.

God help me when my Oppo UDP-203 one day craps out on me. By that time it might be a real chore finding an "everything capable" disc player even.
Ouch. Just knock on wood.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:24 PM   #3658
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Ouch. Just knock on wood.

On another note, I reordered the Underworld 4k set. Second time's a charm. I hope.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #3659
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

My latest purchase was Free Guy on a 4K Blu-ray combo pack.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #3660
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
My latest purchase was Free Guy on a 4K Blu-ray combo pack.
That is the next movie I want. What does the basic Blu-ray have?