The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #101
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
So someone in here said Leo would date Koya. And now given current events in the comic. I have to laugh in hindsight.
What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Shipping the turtles has always rubbed me the wrong way, from any and all directions. April and Casey was always a little bit more interesting to explore, but I just tend to gravitate toward romances that are already in progress. Being pulled and teased around is obnoxious and wastes a lot of time for me.
I don't really see the problem with it. They're teenagers, and with that, comes the curiosity of said teenagers exploring crushes/relationships. For me, at least, it's fitting for writers to explore that aspect. Of course, I don't want the romance to take over the plotline, and become a CW show. But having them develop feelings, and yearning for relationships seems normal, and also human (yes, they are mutants, though they are sentient and have human behaviors and feelings).
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:10 PM   #102
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Nothing has happened (yet) but Lita from the future says Leonardo and Koya get together.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:14 PM   #103
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
What happened?

I don't really see the problem with it. They're teenagers, and with that, comes the curiosity of said teenagers exploring crushes/relationships. For me, at least, it's fitting for writers to explore that aspect. Of course, I don't want the romance to take over the plotline, and become a CW show. But having them develop feelings, and yearning for relationships seems normal, and also human (yes, they are mutants, though they are sentient and have human behaviors and feelings).
Oh man! Imagine TMNT done as a CW Show.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #104
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Nothing has happened (yet) but Lita from the future says Leonardo and Koya get together.
Oh. Right. Forgot about that.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #105
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Oh man! Imagine TMNT done as a CW Show.
Then we'd get people watching every single episode to mock it on Youtube. So at least there would be some entertainment value would come out of it, albeit indirectly.

Spoiler:

Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #106
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
As some here may know, I have always enjoyed shipping the turtles. Mostly canon, ie, Mikey/Kala or Renet, Leo/Lotus or Karai, Donnie/Jhanna or Irma (a bit of a stretch, but they always seemed kind of close in the OT series) and of course Raph/Mona Lisa or Alopex(Ninjara). But I have played with other pairings, too, as those who have read my fics will know. I like exploring that side of their personalities, their loneliness, and need for connections.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:04 PM   #107
Prowler
Emperor

There were several reasons that made the 1987 TMNT cartoon series appealing to me back when I was a little kid. Don't ask me to name all of them, since I can't really explain what exactly some of those things are, but the lack of romance was a major one.

You see, as a kid, I always HATED when there was romance in cartoons and movies. Nothing more cringe worthy and embarrassing to be 7 years old and watching two characters on TV kissing or having a romantic moment while your mother or another adult family member is sitting next to you watching it. Plus, I also hated the cliche of main male and female character dating or falling for each other. Therefore TMNT was a REAL relief in that sense to me. And, as you may have now guessed, I really disliked the 2nd Neutrinos episode where Michelangelo and Kala have it for each other.

But still, even with the years going by and me getting more mature, I've NEVER liked romance in TMNT and have always felt like it didn't fit the series. The Turtles aren't supposed to have girlfriends or sex in my mind. The only "romance" I can accept in TMNT is April and Casey. But any romance involving the Turtles I could do better without. It kinda defeats the point of them being "alone" in the universe. And needless to say, romance between the Turtles and human beings is a BIG NO for me.

The turtles have historically provided me with action, sci-fi and humour, which is what I expect from them. Don't want any romance distracting them from fighting Shredder.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:34 PM   #108
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The turtles have historically provided me with action, sci-fi and humour, which is what I expect from them. Don't want any romance distracting them from fighting Shredder.
I mean...

Romance doesn't distract other shows, movies, books, or media from adventure plotlines where the characters must defeat a villain. That is, if there is a good writer at the helm, anyway.

I don't see why one or more of them having a romance would detract from the action, sci-fi, humor, or the general plotline. It wouldn't, not if the writing is solid, and can juggle all of these elements together.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:29 AM   #109
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Then we'd get people watching every single episode to mock it on Youtube. So at least there would be some entertainment value would come out of it, albeit indirectly.

Spoiler:

I mean... Isn't that what the Black Nerd did for every episode of the TMNT 2012 show?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:43 AM   #110
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I mean... Isn't that what the Black Nerd did for every episode of the TMNT 2012 show?
No, I'm pretty sure he was actually praising that show. These guys watch every episode and laugh at the stupidity of it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:12 AM   #111
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
There were several reasons that made the 1987 TMNT cartoon series appealing to me back when I was a little kid. Don't ask me to name all of them, since I can't really explain what exactly some of those things are, but the lack of romance was a major one.

You see, as a kid, I always HATED when there was romance in cartoons and movies. Nothing more cringe worthy and embarrassing to be 7 years old and watching two characters on TV kissing or having a romantic moment while your mother or another adult family member is sitting next to you watching it. Plus, I also hated the cliche of main male and female character dating or falling for each other. Therefore TMNT was a REAL relief in that sense to me. And, as you may have now guessed, I really disliked the 2nd Neutrinos episode where Michelangelo and Kala have it for each other.

But still, even with the years going by and me getting more mature, I've NEVER liked romance in TMNT and have always felt like it didn't fit the series. The Turtles aren't supposed to have girlfriends or sex in my mind. The only "romance" I can accept in TMNT is April and Casey. But any romance involving the Turtles I could do better without. It kinda defeats the point of them being "alone" in the universe. And needless to say, romance between the Turtles and human beings is a BIG NO for me.

This is how I feel too. Maybe because I like when it's focused on the family and their bond most. Not sure why it's a sign of growth to put the Turtles in romantic relationships when those often bring out the worst in the characters.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #112
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
I mean...

Romance doesn't distract other shows, movies, books, or media from adventure plotlines where the characters must defeat a villain. That is, if there is a good writer at the helm, anyway.

I don't see why one or more of them having a romance would detract from the action, sci-fi, humor, or the general plotline. It wouldn't, not if the writing is solid, and can juggle all of these elements together.
That's fair, but I just don't like the idea of romance in TMNT overall I guess. That's not a side I have much of an interest in seeing writers explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
This is how I feel too. Maybe because I like when it's focused on the family and their bond most. Not sure why it's a sign of growth to put the Turtles in romantic relationships when those often bring out the worst in the characters.
I guess it's because, if we want a more adult TMNT series, there has to be some sort of romance or sexuality(no, not explicit sex scenes) to make it more realistic and relatable, since those are things most adults experience at some point in their lives and a big part of their lives?

I can understand the reasoning, but I don't think we need to see the Turtles having dating lives. At least I don't care for it. I haven't read Mirage in its entirety, but from what I've read of vol.1 and th early Tales issues, clearly there was no need to give the boys love interests to make the story more interesting. It's not like they had much time or room to breathe when they went to space. Romance would just get things sidetracked.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote