The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Reboot... um, reboot?!

"Mainframe Entertainment, a subsidiary of Rainmaker Entertainment, has commenced production on ReBoot: The Guardian Code, “a hybrid live-action/CG-animated series,”

I have fond memories of Reboot, but will admit it looks pretty crusty nowadays. I'm curious about the 'live action' element?
Old 06-08-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I dunno about this. A fully CG remake would be awesome, but live-action being incorporated? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Totally dig the OG sh*t though.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:14 AM   #3
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

ReBoot is one of my all time favorite cartoon shows and I really enjoyed the ReBoot Complete Series that came out through Shout! Factory. I always enjoyed the dichotomy of the first two seasons as compared to the change in season three. But with it really sounding like a "reboot" (yeah, I know) and only having one character from the original show, I'm not too excited about it. I'll just have to wait and see though.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:08 AM   #4
rufus
Stone Warrior

Big fan of the original series
Not sure what to make of the live action/cg hybrid with kids being sucked into the computer
Old 06-09-2015, 05:25 AM   #5
Sumac
Banned

Sounds like an attempt to make some sort of "western sentai show" or Tron rip-off, which maybe not so bad in itself, but what it has to do with ReBoot, the whole point of which was its being CGI show set inside computer, about characters living in that world.

Besides the whole "rebooted" concept, they desperately will need good writers, since original show had a very good writing after first season. As of now it all sounds more like a "teenage drama", which will be sprinkled with some special effects, when budget allows them to do so.

Patiently awaiting for a disaster.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 AM   #6
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I can't a live action version of Reboot being done...well.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Reboot: The Next Generation... now with more teenagers!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
Mew
Banned

Hey! Super Human Samurai Syber-Squad is good. It had Tim Curry as Kilokahn.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

They didn't even complete the movie trilogy... I feel anxious about this one...

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Yeah it is shame they didn't finish the original series story.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Apparently they will be tying up loose ends in this show

Quote:
We already knew that The Guardian Code will attempt to resolve the show’s season four cliffhanger, and that all the major characters from the original series will feature in more than just cameo roles

http://www.themarysue.com/reboot-reboot-greelight/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Do people forget the quote "They say the user lives outside the net. I don't know for sure but I intend to find out". So while everyone is crying about it maybe that plothole from the opening will finally be dealt with.

I would've preferred no live action as well but it can still work, this being Tron like is not necessarily a bad thing. If it sucks then it would've sucked all CG as well. This is a show they've been trying to get off the ground for what, nearly a decade? Maybe the live action segments is what finally got this greenlit. Also the original show was well written for its time but it really doesn't hold up as well as other classics from the time like say Gargoyles or Batman:TAS.

Personally the whole concept of viruses inside computers and entering the digital world has always been an amazing untapped potential for me, none of the franchises who that have tried it have truly done a great job at it. Maybe this show finally will. And what's wrong with Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad? Personally I think it's awesome and reeks from the 90s in an awesome way..
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #14
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
should be cool. what networks it airing on?

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #15
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I think they said YTV in Canada? I have no idea what that is though.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 AM   #16
drgon78
Mad Scientist

So is this a reboot or a sequel series?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #17
THGhost
Puppet Master

It's almost like they announced this so people could say "Reboot reboot".

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #18
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Some pics

Michel Hefferon discusses more of the premise in this interview

Quote:
“We’re probably the first series to utilize a game engine to the level that we have in physical production, we’re using the Unreal game engine (Bioshock Infinite, Unreal Tournament) to execute the show,” Hefferon says. “It’s pretty exciting, the worlds that we create. What I like to look at is creating an experience. We have really created a real 360-degree experience for kids.”

When Hefferon says the show will be an experience, he means it. This time, you can actually put on a virtual reality headset and watch the show happen around you. That’s just one of the ways you can take the show in.

“At the point the original Reboot was, there was no such thing as ‘second screen’,” he says. “A kid plopped down and watched a linear show. Now, what kids are interested in are those things that they can have an impact in. You create that engagement factor. That is what we’re doing with Reboot from a second-screen experience, including a VR component to Reboot, where kids can watch that battle sequence on the television show, with their Google Cardboard and their smartphone, they can reenact that experience by being in the middle of that battle with our Cyber Guardians.”

Our cast of characters is four students at Alan Turing High who meet while playing this online game. Leading the battle is Austin, who goes by the name Vector in cyberspace. His best friend is Parker, aka Googz. They meet up with two transfer students Tamra, also known as Enigma, and Trey, who goes by D-Frag.

The kids have been playing the Cyber Guardian game that has also been training them. “Ultimately, when dark code was detected, it triggered them into activation. They’re activated early, they’re basically fish out of water. Though they understand how the characters work, the expectation of being those characters in cyberspace took a real turn for them,” Hefferon says. “Their mentor character – Virtual Evolutionary Reconnaissance Avatar, better known as V.E.R.A., is the one who has been training them. She’s a computer program and ends up getting next-gen-printed bio-constructed as a 16 year-old girl in the real world. She’s basically their mentor, but at the same time, she’s learning what it is to be human, but especially human as a teenager. We have a lot of cool action and wicked effects, we also have great characters, great relationships, comedy, just the everyday life of being kids, which is hopefully the relatable factor for kids.”

Hefferon compares the real life / digital transitions to Peter Parker juggling his real life and secret identity as Spider-Man. “Your conflict starts in the real world,” he says. “The concept of the show for me is a digital slice of how we’re connected and how kids are digitally connected in their everyday lives. Whatever story or plot that starts in live action, is worked out in cyberspace, the CG [computer generated] component of it, it’s never one or the other, it’s a constant inter-cut between live-action and CG. It’s not like in one half of the show in the real-world and the second half is in cyberspace. We’re always cutting back and forth. When there’s a conflict and something is attacked in cyberspace, we see the real-life side of what’s being affected by that. We’re always creating that jeopardy for humanity of what the consequences could be if our Guardian characters fail. It keeps that over-arching character story arcs, the serialization of the series. Each episode continues to build and advance the story line. As we learn more and more about our Guardians, the people that they come in contact with.”
https://roundhouseradio.com/2017/04/...he-next-level/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #19
Powder
So tired of this place

Oh boy, this is gonna suck.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #20
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Holy crap, this show is doing something awesome and if it somehow doesn't become a hit you can bet it'll be viewed as revolutionary similar to how the original show was only a moderate success but still established CG on TV as a viable thing.

Super excited for this.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote