The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #61
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

With whole generations growing up watching things on their phones and tablets, and now with powerful portable gaming devices like the Nintendo Switch, I have to wonder if the large high definition 4K TVs and their future descendants will one day be relegated to hardcore videophiles and movie buffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's true, I barely use my TV anymore. If I didn't play videogames I would have almost no reason to own a TV anymore.

I pretty much watch almost everything online now. But I love videogames too much so I own a TV for pretty much that reason alone.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #63
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
With whole generations growing up watching things on their phones and tablets, and now with powerful portable gaming devices like the Nintendo Switch, I have to wonder if the large high definition 4K TVs and their future descendants will one day be relegated to hardcore videophiles and movie buffs.
Then again if you are having a gathering of sorts I doubt anyone would want to watch something on a tablet or phone, as for the Switch example lots of people still use the docking setting to play games on the screen. While I personally see T.V somewhat losing relevance as time goes on I personally don't see them being out of style in the near future.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #64
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I think the popularity of cable subscriptions will continue to go down as that of streaming services goes up, but TVs themselves will stay ubiquitous in our homes. It'd easier than ever to pull up a video on our phones and "throw" it over to the TV to watch on a big screen. You can always hook up computers or gaming consoles to TVs too, there's no reason to think the convenience/experience of TV watching will go away
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #65
CyberCubed
Overlord

The way I see it TV's will most be used by older people who grew up with it, like people born in the 80's, 90's and prior.

But for the new generation born in the 2000's, who are only teenagers now, (remember kids born in 2000 are now 17 and almost 18 year olds), they grew up with totally different technology than we did. Youtube was out since they were 5 years old, they're used to iphones and tablets as if they're second nature.

I think the driving force of TV will be videogames, oddly enough. Most people still buy videogame consoles like PS4, Switch, Xbox to play games over the computer/steam, so that alone is the reason I keep my TV.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #66
newfan
Mad Scientist

As I said in another thread, it's preference. I also watch things with my children so I'd rather we weren't sat around a computer given the choice.
As for old people growing up with TV, Cubed did you mean traditional broadcasting? Kids do still have TVs in their homes, they just don't tend to watch scheduled TV so much now. (and maybe those with tech may use them less as you pointed out)
I'd agree that people may use them less due to the reasons people mentioned but I still think there are times people would still want the bigger screen...maybe they will go out but just not yet.

Last edited by newfan; 12-13-2017 at 12:47 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:04 AM   #67
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Yeah, I'm not quite following you. Everyone has a TV, if not to watch regular programming, at least to watch Netflix, Hulu and whatnot. Sure, you can watch it all alone on your laptop, but when you got family and friends over, or you got your date ready to watch the latest episode of Stranger Things, you bet you're gonna be watching it on a tv screen and not everyone huddled around a laptop or a phone. That's just stupid.

Laptops aren't going anywhere, especially when it comes to PC Gaming.

As for wallet chains, I still use mine. Never really noticed them going out of style.

Facebook? That's not going away soon. Most everyone I know is constantly posting stuff on there all damn day. And I'm talking about adults, not kids. There is nothing like Facebook now. Instagram doesn't let you post anything unless you post a photo with it. Tweets are too damn short. I'm not sure Tumblr is as popular. The only place to post all this personal drama and videos of cops roughing up innocent people (that everyone seems to do nowadays) is Facebook. Your actual friends and family friend you on Facebook. Nameless followers you will probably never even say hi to follow you on Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:57 AM   #68
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Things that I think will go out of style:

• * NFTs and cryptocurrency will fade in terms of influence and popularity. They swindle people out of money, and they are heavily hazardous to the environment. Not to mention, they plunder from trademarked/copyrighted works, and try to make it sellable. Eventually, once people realize how little monetary/artistic value they possess, NFTs/Cryptocurrency will go out of style.

* Superhero movies will lessen in terms of cultural marketability. The studios keep reusing and recycling the same IPs, without reducing their input within mass media. As a result, audiences will get weary of the same tropes/methods that are used within said films, and they will start to disengage from them.

* The reliability of social media and its influencers will diminish, as people will realize that it is largely polarizing our societal stability.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #69
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I dunno about that third one. I wish, but I'm not sure enough of society has the brains to back away and avoid the addiction to it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #70
frank_one
Mad Scientist

We will be more poor, more dumb, less free. Also a lot of musician from the 60s will die.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #71
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
  • * NFTs and cryptocurrency will fade in terms of influence and popularity. They swindle people out of money, and they are heavily hazardous to the environment. Not to mention, they plunder from trademarked/copyrighted works, and try to make it sellable. Eventually, once people realize how little monetary/artistic value they possess, NFTs/Cryptocurrency will go out of style.
What do you mean? The average person doesn't own Crypto or NFTs, it's only a small percentage that do. Why do you think influence and popularity has peaked when it hasn't become mainstream yet?

You also post a lot of misconceptions there like it being a scam or that it has no value but that's another topic I don't care to discuss.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:39 AM   #72
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Things that I think will go out of style:

* Superhero movies will lessen in terms of cultural marketability. The studios keep reusing and recycling the same IPs, without reducing their input within mass media. As a result, audiences will get weary of the same tropes/methods that are used within said films, and they will start to disengage from them.

* The reliability of social media and its influencers will diminish, as people will realize that it is largely polarizing our societal stability.

Well, two of my assessments were accurate.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:51 AM   #73
sdp
Megan Fox = April

crypto goes through cycles, we're going to reach a bull cycle in a bit, it already started so you can go ahead and count that one as incorrect.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:26 PM   #74
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
As for wallet chains, I still use mine. Never really noticed them going out of style.
Welcome to like 1999. Though every once in a while I'll see someone try to bring it back.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 11:44 AM   #75
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Well, two of my assessments were accurate.
Uhhh.... Yeah - it's not even a matter of opinion or even an "opinion that can be shrouded into truth". You are just, simply 100% way off base about Crypto, NFT's and blockchain. I mean - not even close.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 11:58 AM   #76
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Uhhh.... Yeah - it's not even a matter of opinion or even an "opinion that can be shrouded into truth". You are just, simply 100% way off base about Crypto, NFT's and blockchain. I mean - not even close.
ehhhh not sure about NFTs.... but crypto isn't going anywhere, at least not Bitcoin.

And that NFTs harm the environment is just ********. You cause just as much harm watching Netflix. If people really cared that much, they'd stay off the internet.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:38 PM   #77
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
ehhhh not sure about NFTs.... but crypto isn't going anywhere, at least not Bitcoin.

And that NFTs harm the environment is just ********. You cause just as much harm watching Netflix. If people really cared that much, they'd stay off the internet.
NFTs are absolutely, 100% not going away. They are going to eventually become the legal document - immutable and permanently recorded on the blockchain. The deed to your house is going to be a blockchain NFT. Your birth certificate. NFT's aren't drawings of JPEG monkeys for rich people.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 05:57 PM   #78
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Welcome to like 1999. Though every once in a while I'll see someone try to bring it back.
Around 2018 there was this guy at one of my university classes who dressed pretty much like Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit. He must have been 21 at best. He'd have been way too young to remember Limp Bizkit when they were really popular.

Nothing wrong with dressing like Fred Durst if that's what you like. I'm far from being a fashionista myself. But that's not something I'd expect to see a young adult regularly wear in 2018.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote