The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
tmntman
Mad Scientist

2018 releases

With 2017 quickly coming to a close and knowing Playmates habit of releasing a new line up of toys with the start of each calendar year, there is a good chance we could start seeing new merch hitting store shelves as soon as the end of this week. So is there anything interesting that people are hoping to see soon?

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

With this series ended I haven't really assumed we'll see much of anything from Playmates now until the next one is ready for release. (Mostly I'm hoping the shelves will restock and I'll eventually find the Monster Hunter Leo.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

Ya i dont think we will see anything new next year with the show ended. At least till the new one comes out
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I might misremember, but didn't Pixel Dan confirm that the R&B Wanted line was the last of the Basic line?

We might still see some new wacky 6" variants, Micros or more reprints before Rise gets all the attention.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I'm still waiting on some of the wanted and hunters to show up
Old 12-27-2017, 02:13 AM   #6
DVD
Mad Scientist

There’s s bunch of micro mutants around the corner.
A pretty cool play set, that doubles as a truck for regular size figures.
A whole range of new vehicles to go along with it as well.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:34 AM   #7
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
There’s s bunch of micro mutants around the corner.
A pretty cool play set, that doubles as a truck for regular size figures.
A whole range of new vehicles to go along with it as well.
There's another Basic/Micro vehicle coming? That's pretty cool, the street sweeper is a nifty play set, and I hope we're getting Donnie and Mikey ninja turtle play sets
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:35 AM   #8
mfz
New Recruit

I was in a local Target today and all TMNT Playmates toys were on clearance. My guess is this line is done. Any official confirmation on that?
mfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #9
tmntman
Mad Scientist

It will be interesting to see what happens. Around here the basic figures all sold through quite well. But the rest of the line didn't move that well. I would think that stores would still want more of the basic line above anything else.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

I suspect DVD was talking about the street sweeper, which already is out, and the 2nd wave of small vehicles, which actually already came out but in very limited supply. AFAIK there's been no indication of any further product after that. I would be shellshocked to see any.

As far as official confirmation the line is done...do you need more than the Playmates rep saying last year "here are all the remaining figures, that's it, the end" (because he did effectively say that) and the fact that they've all showed up now in stores (they have)? At this point all you will be seeing is retailers pushing out their backed up warehouse stock until it's gone, and Playmates doing the same however they can. They even seem to have repacked their leftovers into 4 packs to try and shove em out faster. There are pics of these 4 packs in the other thread.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #11
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I’m ready for the 2012 Classics Line. Lol...like releasing Muckman again.

On a more serious note I have a question for tmntman. I notice on your website the modern line has no end year and is listed as “2012- “ Are your going to put the end date as 2017 or 2018?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #12
DVD
Mad Scientist

Yes, the street sweeper.
I hadn’t seen that released anywhere.
So I guess the stuff I saw last month was given immediate release.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #13
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
On a more serious note I have a question for tmntman. I notice on your website the modern line has no end year and is listed as “2012- “ Are your going to put the end date as 2017 or 2018?
That will depend upon if they release any additional items in 2018 or if the entire line gets rebranded first.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Expect the next wave of toys shortly before Rise of the TMNT starts.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:11 PM   #15
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
That will depend upon if they release any additional items in 2018 or if the entire line gets rebranded first.
Ok thanks. Sounds like a wait and see for now, at least for a little while longer. I would like to have a couple more surprise releases for the 2012 line before sticking a fork in it.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:55 AM   #16
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Any ideas what will be in it?
Old 12-28-2017, 07:10 AM   #17
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

I’m looking forward to collectibles only this time around. The Nick line kicked my butt. Still need 3 figures to finish it off. (Muck, 80s Leo, MH Raph).

This year I’m going to focus on getting the rest of turtles I only bought Don for previously, things like DreamEx.

I’m not looking forward to any information pertaining to the new show, so maybe just the first basic wave and any other I like. Definitely not the entire line again.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #18
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There's a real logistical problem with that. As a general rule of thumb, retail stores reset their toy aisles twice a year. The reset in August to prepare for the Holiday shopping season. And they reset in January to recover from the Holiday season. (Some stores may do a smaller change before summer as well.) Right now Playmates has a decent amount of real estate dedicated to the TMNT brand in most stores' layouts. If they don't have something to offer stores as they do the January reset, it's quite likely that they will be dropped from store layouts entirely. And if that happens, they may have to wait six to eight months to get that space back. (And that's assuming they can get it back.)

I have no idea what Playmates has coming for the line for this year. But I'm sure they are going to be producing something to have on the shelves starting next month, even if it is just more shipments of the basic assortment figures.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #19
ls1z28
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfz View Post
I was in a local Target today and all TMNT Playmates toys were on clearance. My guess is this line is done. Any official confirmation on that?
I stopped by my local target this am, the shelfs were completely empty but for 3 figures (2 fugitoids, 1 fish face).
ls1z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #20
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
There's a real logistical problem with that. As a general rule of thumb, retail stores reset their toy aisles twice a year. The reset in August to prepare for the Holiday shopping season. And they reset in January to recover from the Holiday season. (Some stores may do a smaller change before summer as well.) Right now Playmates has a decent amount of real estate dedicated to the TMNT brand in most stores' layouts. If they don't have something to offer stores as they do the January reset, it's quite likely that they will be dropped from store layouts entirely. And if that happens, they may have to wait six to eight months to get that space back. (And that's assuming they can get it back.)

I have no idea what Playmates has coming for the line for this year. But I'm sure they are going to be producing something to have on the shelves starting next month, even if it is just more shipments of the basic assortment figures.
I hope your right. But the fact that the Walmart and Target I stopped at had TMNT on clearance does not make me think so. I didn't have time to check Walmart. It looked like every item with TMNT on it from figures to water bottles was on clearance at Target. Up side is I got Samurai Mikey with horse for $12 dollars. Maybe it means they will be rolling out some new figures early. Wouldn't suprise me though if we some other playmates lines take that space. Voltron and Ben 10 come to mind. I would think doing that would make it fairly easy to reclaim the space for TMNT when the line does come out.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Last edited by inaheap; 12-28-2017 at 01:23 PM.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote