The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #41
The Shelf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
This may be biased, but ST:TNG has to be the best incarnation, not only for Patrick Stewart, but also for Brent Spiner and Wil Wheaton.

Please tell me this part was a joke. Wil Wheaton was kind of annoying. At best he was tolerable.

I would agree that TNG was probably the best, although I really liked Voyager too.
The Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #42
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shelf View Post
I would agree that TNG was probably the best, although I really liked Voyager too.
I love Voyager. It is very under-rated and gets a lot of crap that it doesn't deserve.

TNG is by far the best, though it has nothing to do with Wil Wheaton (but I did have a crush on him when the show first aired).
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Deep Space Nine was by far the best written with the best ongoing plot.

About two or so years ago I watched all of Deep Space Nine in order, and it amazed me how good it was. I now understand why it was considered the best Trek, when previously I always thought Next Generation was the best.

If you never watched DS9 or saw very little of it, you need to sit down and watch it in chronological order. Its as good as most Trek gets.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #44
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

best ST character ever, Picard second
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #45
gobo
Wacky Action

This guy's gotta be on the list too, right?

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think "classic" Star Trek was way too sophisticated and intelligent for the average TV watcher. Not to say Trek didn't also have its usual dumb episodes from time to time, but you have to have a very high I.Q. to appreciate Star Trek.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #47
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think "classic" Star Trek was way too sophisticated and intelligent for the average TV watcher. Not to say Trek didn't also have its usual dumb episodes from time to time, but you have to have a very high I.Q. to appreciate Star Trek.
Ehhh.... maybe not a very high I.Q. but if you are a thinker and can be entertained by the character dramas and small morality plays without needing force SJW messaging then TOS through Enterprise is for you.

Discovery is straight up for the angry, counter-culture audience that needs emotional soap opera-ing and cheerleading for "survival" and life goals. Discovery, honest-to-God, is in many ways more of a parody of Star Trek than the Orville is. Now, understanding that statement? That will take some I.Q. to understand....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:07 PM   #48
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #49
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Ehhh.... maybe not a very high I.Q. but if you are a thinker and can be entertained by the character dramas and small morality plays without needing force SJW messaging then TOS through Enterprise is for you.
Sadly that qualifies as high IQ nowadays....

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

In the third episode of next generation, they find an alien race of black africans who look just like humans. And the females (Yar and the black woman) have a battle to the death in the episode. Would that episode be considered "woke" if it happened today instead of 1987?
Old 08-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't think you need high IQ to appreciate morality lessons.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #52
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I've only ever watched the reboot Star Trek film, I even watched it another time to force myself to like it. It was as boring and uninteresting as I assumed the franchise was. I remember as a little kid seeing the playmates toys and knowing that only NERDS bought that crap. Anyone admitting to it likely got beat up after school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Star Trek is WAY bigger than TMNT is, has been, or ever will be.
bigger in what way?
Pop culture and worldwide recognition? Certainly not.
Profitability? Perhaps, do we have official figures of either franchise? I would think that despite Trek having a bunch of movies and having a dedicated fanbase might not match all the money TMNT made during turtle mania alone in terms of licensing. But that's just a guess.
Dedicated fanbase? Perhaps dedicated and organized but I doubt it has as many people as the hundreds of facebook tmnt groups that exist all over the world alone. I'm sure they have forums more active than the drome but I don't know if they have as many fans, trekkies are dedicated but TMNT has millions of casual fans.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:56 PM   #53
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Sadly that qualifies as high IQ nowadays....
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't think you need high IQ to appreciate morality lessons.
Exactly. Star Trek has always been these small, science fiction morality plays across episodes. There was justice and equality but it wasn't this crammed down your throat woke nonsense like Discovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
bigger in what way?
Pop culture and worldwide recognition? Certainly not.
I think it might be, man....
Old 08-02-2021, 06:59 PM   #54
sdp
Megan Fox = April

In the US it was rare to see Star Trek fans, I know it's big because of all the books and shows and stuff but at least it's never been a huge draw for "casuals", and in other countries I've lived star trek is a super niche thing, no one knows what it is, but they certainly know TMNT, even if just casually "ah yah that's for kids, i don't like it' while star trek might get replies like "i don't know what that is"
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pretty sure Star Trek is one of the biggest IP's in the world besides Star Wars and DC and Mickey Mouse.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #56
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Pretty sure Star Trek is one of the biggest IP's in the world besides Star Wars and DC and Mickey Mouse.
Ummmm.... yeah. Pretty much.
The "rare to see Star Trek fans" thing above.... just not sure about that perspective at all.....
Old 08-02-2021, 08:03 PM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think sdp originally lived in Mexico before moving to the U.S. Maybe Star Trek isn't that big with the hispanics south of the border?
Old 08-02-2021, 10:12 PM   #58
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Ummmm.... yeah. Pretty much.
The "rare to see Star Trek fans" thing above.... just not sure about that perspective at all.....
Saxon = Joke Account

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:57 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

The original series was literally a pop culture phenomenon in the 60's and introduced tons of people to sci-fi a decade before Star Wars. (Remember Star Wars didn't come out till 1977).

Next Generation was literally one of the most popular shows of the late 80's and early 90's. Deep Space Nine is considered one of the best sci-fi shows of all time. Let alone Voyager and Enterprise although they were less popular still had long runs.

You don't have 5 series come out in an almost continuous span (if you count TOS movies and cartoon, there's an even smaller gap between TOS and Next Gen in 1987), without it. I can't think of any other franchise that had 5 TV shows on the air almost continuously in the same universe one after the other like this.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:34 PM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Let's put it this way. Peter Laird sold the ENTIRETY of the TMNT rights for 60 million (compare against George Lucas selling the entirety of Star Wars for 4 BILLION... granted, Star Trek is not nearly as popular as Star Wars culturally, but that gives you some glimpse of comparisons). That's less than even the sh*ttiest Star Trek movie made, and there's been 13 of them. Combined with 4 syndicated shows of over 400 episodes, whatever they made in action figures/toys/ship sales... it's not even CLOSE to TMNT even at TMNT's height.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote