The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #21
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Turtle View Post
When I was a kid I was in the UK during the turtle craze. My parents bought me a small hard cover book that was a TMHT story. Though I never noticed it till I was older the pictures (although few) we strangely altered. I am away from my collection so I will have to post pics later. The point is the in any pictures with all the turtles using their weapons they would sometimes be messed up or very obviously changed so that Mike would be hold a sward as well as Leo to remove the chuks. Anyways, I would have to read it again to see if they changed anything else.
Yeah, even in America it was common to see weapons mixed up. But in the UK it was usually intentional regarding Mike's nunchucks. I'd love to see some pics, Canadian Turtle.

Here's an example of how a board game changed Mikey's chucks to dagger and katana for foreign release:

USA?

Foreign

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-13-2008 at 11:40 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:54 PM   #22
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

The bottom one is either Norwegian or Danish.. I can't separate those languages when written.. o.o

It says "Who can stop the Shredder and his gang?"

Lame name and lame box
Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 AM   #23
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hoohoo, here's a site that contains an extensive listing of a few UK issues for sale, complete with cover scans!

http://www.apocalypsecomics.com/inde...039bb2a0196841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
There were also poster books that unfolded, one side being a comic and the other a poster. The first issue had the turtles battling the Zimmerman, an old rocket scientist that couldn't make to with his pension so built a flying zimmer frame that shot missiles to rob banks. I guess he's one of those villains that is so lame he's cool plus he kinda reminded me of the Vulture from Spider-Man.
Here's a scan of the infamous Zimmerman from the site!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-15-2008 at 01:57 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #24
Venom
Space Knight

Lol! That cover's great; Donny's expression is like "WTF?!"
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #25
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Awesome turtles VS crippled old people dressed like a musketeer.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #26
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAAATE View Post
A few of the UK comics were published here in Sweden as "back ups" for the american comics, and all UK comics I've read were standalone stories, mostly kinda lame, though some of them I remember as being cool
I also remember some of them. They were published as a mini-series in the Swedish TMNT comic book ("TMHT"), with the Archie TMNT Adventures comics as the main series. Many liked those better, since they were more based on the 1987 cartoon. One person asked the comic book (if you remember the "Pizzatajm" page) why Michelangelo used his bare hands in the series, and got the answers that the series were made in the UK where nunchakus forbidden not only to use, but also too show in comic books. The one that answered agreed it was silly, but nothing Sweden could do anything about.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #27
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Sweden 1982 View Post
I also remember some of them. They were published as a mini-series in the Swedish TMNT comic book ("TMHT"), with the Archie TMNT Adventures comics as the main series. Many liked those better, since they were more based on the 1987 cartoon. One person asked the comic book (if you remember the "Pizzatajm" page) why Michelangelo used his bare hands in the series, and got the answers that the series were made in the UK where nunchakus forbidden not only to use, but also too show in comic books. The one that answered agreed it was silly, but nothing Sweden could do anything about.
Of course I remember Pizzatajm

Though the strongest memory I have of Pizzatajm is two jokes that were really bad.. They were just ordinary jokes, but with the turtles and not funny at all... Childhood trauma right there...

The only two UK-comics I remember are the one with some guy with a beak-like nose and another one where April O'Neil for some reason went to a "haunted" house, though the only "ghosts" there was the Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady
Old 08-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #28
Overlord

Quote:

Though the strongest memory I have of Pizzatajm is two jokes that were really bad.. They were just ordinary jokes, but with the turtles and not funny at all... Childhood trauma right there...

The only two UK-comics I remember are the one with some guy with a beak-like nose and another one where April O'Neil for some reason went to a "haunted" house, though the only "ghosts" there was the Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady
Tomorrow (or at least this week) I will go through my old collection of TMNT comic books (who are in the basement) and then I can tell you what those stories were named in Swedish, and a direct translation into English, and write some short words what the stories was about. Then you or someone other can maybe figure out and remember something.

Also, I can tell you when I go to http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/archie/archie.htm on the original TMNT page and read about the Archie comics I see that not everything from the Archie comics was published in Sweden. I don't know why (It had probably nothing to do with censorship of nunchakus and "Hero Turtles"), is it common to do so in comic books in Sweden (The http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage..._(serietidning) and http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/FF_med_Bert was the only comic books I read, and http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo-Magasinet if you count it, but I didn't read it for the comics).
Old 08-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #29
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Hoohoo, here's a site that contains an extensive listing of a few UK issues for sale, complete with cover scans!

http://www.apocalypsecomics.com/inde...039bb2a0196841

Here's a scan of the infamous Zimmerman from the site!
Zimmerman = makes me think of Bob Dylan, who's real name is Robert Allen Zimmerman. Anyway, what happened to him. Did the police capture him in the end?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #30
Overlord

Quote:
The bottom one is either Norwegian or Danish.. I can't separate those languages when written.. o.o

It says "Who can stop the Shredder and his gang?"

Lame name and lame box
I think it's Danish. Read this http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage...rtles#Shredder. Danish and Norwegian are not easy to differ when they're written, but Norway was a part of Denmark from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmar_Union begun in 1397 and was so until 1814. I think "Flænseren"/"Rivejernet" is lame, but so also "Strimlaren", which was Shredder in Swedish earlier.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:28 AM   #31
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I see that not everything from the Archie comics was published in Sweden. I don't know why (It had probably nothing to do with censorship of nunchakus and "Hero Turtles"), is it common to do so in comic books in Sweden (The http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage..._(serietidning) and http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/FF_med_Bert was the only comic books I read, and http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo-Magasinet if you count it, but I didn't read it for the comics).
I dunno... Could possibly have to do with the rights to use the comics? I don't really know how licensing works, but it would make sense to use all the comics if you had bought the rights to use all the comics that go under the Adventures-brand... So maybe they bought the rights to the comics individually (though I seriously doubt that...) Anyway, I know at least two issues of the regular comic that had stories from the US-specials... O.o

Quote:
I think it's Danish. Read this http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage...rtles#Shredder. Danish and Norwegian are not easy to differ when they're written, but Norway was a part of Denmark from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmar_Union begun in 1397 and was so until 1814. I think "Flænseren"/"Rivejernet" is lame, but so also "Strimlaren", which was Shredder in Swedish earlier.
Yeah, probably Danish

Hmm, yeah, they are lame, but if he should have a translated name (which I think he should), I think Rivjärnet would be the best one in Swedish... Shredder can mean a hell of a lot of things, but I think Rivjärnet makes the most sense... His armor do look like a rivjärn...
Old 08-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #32
Overlord

Quote:
I dunno... Could possibly have to do with the rights to use the comics? I don't really know how licensing works, but it would make sense to use all the comics if you had bought the rights to use all the comics that go under the Adventures-brand... So maybe they bought the rights to the comics individually (though I seriously doubt that...) Anyway, I know at least two issues of the regular comic that had stories from the US-specials... O.o

Yeah, probably Danish

Hmm, yeah, they are lame, but if he should have a translated name (which I think he should), I think Rivjärnet would be the best one in Swedish... Shredder can mean a hell of a lot of things, but I think Rivjärnet makes the most sense... His armor do look like a rivjärn...
PAAATE, see this: http://www.popkorn.nu/arkiv_kuriosa/12_tmnt.html. I found it and saw the Swedish TMNT comic book weren't interested in the animal rights theme stories (even if I know some were published). I remember a Pizzatajm where one person asked them not to have those stories like when the TMNT visited Amazonas, many readers wanted action adventures with Shredder and Krang (probably since the 1987 cartoon was very popular in Sweden, and in it the TMNT kicked the butt of Shredder and Krang in almost every episode). However, I liked those stories (and their visits to Asia) since I always was interested in geography, history and politics.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #33
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

Quote:
PAAATE, see this: http://www.popkorn.nu/arkiv_kuriosa/12_tmnt.html. I found it and saw the Swedish TMNT comic book weren't interested in the animal rights theme stories (even if I know some were published). I remember a Pizzatajm where one person asked them not to have those stories like when the TMNT visited Amazonas, many readers wanted action adventures with Shredder and Krang (probably since the 1987 cartoon was very popular in Sweden, and in it the TMNT kicked the butt of Shredder and Krang in almost every episode). However, I liked those stories (and their visits to Asia) since I always was interested in geography, history and politics.
Hm, that's disappointing... I don't remember what I thought of those stories when I was a kid, but I do know that one thing that always annoyed me was when there was a reference to an issue that hadn't been published here and the explanation just read something like "Ett annat äventyr".. For example.. I wanted to know what had happened to Raph when he fought with the mutanimals, but we never got that one.. At least I haven't seen it..

If I had the money I would probably start a publishing company, buy the rights to publish these in Swedish and do that... Stupid 90's-editors..
Old 08-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #34
Overlord

Here they are

Quote:

OK "PAAATE", here those I have are (and directly translations):

*När vänskap sviker (When friendship fails): Michelangelo and Raphael quarrel over nonsense, and Raphael refuses go with the other to cinema. In Dimension X, Krang and Shredder build samurai warrior robots and send them to New York City to destroy the turtles. Raphael hears the sound of fight from above, and appears and destroy the robots with a sewer manhole. The Michelangelo-Raphael friendship is restored.
*Dubbel-trubbel (double-trouble): Krang and Shredder kidnapp the turtles and Splinter and try to crush them with an elevator in the elevator shaft leading to the sewers, but the turtles escape via the sewers and come back and throw Krang and Shredder there.
*Hellre oslagbar än osynlig (Better invincible than invisible): Krang has a machine that can make you invisible. Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady uses it. The turtles soon learn it and throw flour on them, so they become invisible again. They dive into the water, but soon the effect wears off.
*Panik på pizzaplejset (Panic at the pizza place): The turtles fight pizzeria robbers.
*April Android (April Android): Krang builds a robot that looks like April to trick the turtles and kill them by driving them in the Channel 6 news to a shut off road.
*Taxibils-mysteriet (The taxicab mystery): Shredder kidnapps businesspeople, and then demands ransom, by starting the taxi company "Foot" (here "Foten"), where Foot robots drive.
*Gamarna (The vultures): The turtles fight a local street gang.
*Bovar i balsalen (Bad guys in the ballhall): The turtles are invited to the New York City mayor's party. However, the mayor are kidnapped by the Shredder who just is to sign a proof making him city mayor when Raphael stops it with a well-thrown sai.
*Robotkriget (The robot war): Krang, Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady send robots to conquer New York City. The turtles re-program the robots to attack Krang, Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady who have to clean up.
*Spökslottet (The ghost castle): Probably the story you referd to, PAAATE. April finds a letter telling she and the turtles invited to a pizza party in the theme park, "The ghost castle". They are attacked by ghosts, who are revealed to be Bebop and Rocksteady, and some holograms. Shredder escapes and burns down the ghost castle, and the turtles have to save Bebop and Rocksteady.
*Guldjakt i Mexico (Gold rush in Mexico): The turtles go to Mexico, where April is in trouble. She is kidnapped by Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady who are there to steal an old Aztec treasure.
*Klant-mutanter (Jerk mutants): Bebop and Rocksteady go on the street with some Foot robots to cause destruction.

Later, they begun with short comic stripes like "Turtles dagbok" ("The TMNT's diary" and other short stories, I loved "Trolldrycken" (the "sorcery drink") where Bebop and Rocksteady belive the turtles have a sorcery drink and the turtles trick Bebop and Rocksteady to drink glue from a flowerpot). They also had Archie specials and other specials, and some Usagi Yojimbo comics.

I also have this: Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles with 7 adventures (Michelangelo uses his nunchuks on the cover).
*Dubbelgångarna (The doppelgängers): The TMNT from an alternate history arrives, and they are evil.
*Jätteroboten (The giant robot): It was seen earlier here on this, Krang and Shredder build a giant Foot robot to conquer New York City.
*Pizzamaffian (The pizza maffia): The turtles go to a pizzeria and meet gangsters who forces the pizzeria to seel the gangster's pizzas instead of own, the gangsters are led by "Mamma Pizza")
*Hogbog den ohygglige (Hogbog the unfriendly): Krang sends a monster from another planet to Earth to cause chaos in New York City.
*Den stora invasionen (The big invasion): Krang and Shredder sends mouser robots, after stealing the drawings from Baxter Stockman, to attack New York City.
*Skönhetstävlingen (The beauty contest): The turtles go to the "Miss Turtle Contest" and see what looks like mutant turtle girls, but is soon revealed to be Foot robots.
*Den försvunna sköldpaddan (The lost turtle): Donatello is knocked unconscious when sewer surfing, and float into a nearby river. He looses his mind and is captured by Shredder, who introduces himself as "Mister Smith" and tries to trick Donatello to work with him. His mind is restored when Michelangelo gives him a pizza.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-08-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #35
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

Yeah, I think it was Gamarna I meant and the other one definitely was Spökslottet.

I also remember a few of the others you mentioned

And I apologize beforehand in case my English is horrible today, but school just began again and my head is kinda full with information...
Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #36
Overlord

Comic books

Quote:
Yeah, I think it was Gamarna I meant and the other one definitely was Spökslottet.

I also remember a few of the others you mentioned

And I apologize beforehand in case my English is horrible today, but school just began again and my head is kinda full with information...
PAAATE, when I see your "Mini Statistics" it says you are born 1990. How can you remember all this? Did you get those comic books later somehow since the comic books I have are from 1991-1994, when you were only 1-4 years old.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #37
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

Yup, got'em later

Y'know, if you like TMNT and you're not old enough to understand English very well you don't have much of a choice but collect these ;P
Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #38
Overlord

Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
The UK comic came out every two weeks and would alternate it's format. One issue would reprint an issue of the Archie book, the next would have two original short stories made especialy for the UK book. All the covers were drawn by UK artists, even in the issues that reprinted the Archies.

The original stories were of course v. old toon style and even moreso aimed at children but I always liked 'em. They had no continuity with the Archie stories and didn't really have continuity with each other. The characters never referenced events in any previous issue and the Techondrome was never in the same place from issue to issue. Sometime's it'd be tunneling under the city like the cartoon's first season, sometimes it'd be in Dimension-X or they'd have enough power to teleport it to another location were they wanted the story to take place.

Some interesting things about the comics is while in the UK stories Mikey didn't have chuks he mostly fought with his hands but on rare occasions he used a Bo Staff like Donny. Krang hardly ever used his robotic body and instead used that tripod stroller thing from the first season. One story did have Krang build similar android bodies for Bebop & rocksteady to use against the turtles.

You would often find the same artists from the UK stories working on some other UK merchendise. Those trading cards that Oldmanwinters posted you would get free with packs of PG Tips teabags. You had to paste them into book to complete a comic story of the turtles and the Hippy Hippos. What made them hippies? I don't know, they seemed more like a Biker gang to me but I guess the writer of that story wanted the name to have alliteration.

When the turtles popularity started to fade, the comic went monthly and they dropped the UK stories. It wasn't long before it was cancelled but they did bring it back around the time of the third movie, this time they would use the original American covers but it didn't last long before it ended again.
Were the scenes where Michelangelo fought with his nunchuks published in the Archie comics in the UK?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #39
Scrabblemouse
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by J 1982 View Post
I also have this: Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles with 7 adventures (Michelangelo uses his nunchuks on the cover).
*Dubbelgångarna (The doppelgängers): The TMNT from an alternate history arrives, and they are evil.
*Jätteroboten (The giant robot): It was seen earlier here on this, Krang and Shredder build a giant Foot robot to conquer New York City.
*Pizzamaffian (The pizza maffia): The turtles go to a pizzeria and meet gangsters who forces the pizzeria to seel the gangster's pizzas instead of own, the gangsters are led by "Mamma Pizza")
*Hogbog den ohygglige (Hogbog the unfriendly): Krang sends a monster from another planet to Earth to cause chaos in New York City.
*Den stora invasionen (The big invasion): Krang and Shredder sends mouser robots, after stealing the drawings from Baxter Stockman, to attack New York City.
*Skönhetstävlingen (The beauty contest): The turtles go to the "Miss Turtle Contest" and see what looks like mutant turtle girls, but is soon revealed to be Foot robots.
*Den försvunna sköldpaddan (The lost turtle): Donatello is knocked unconscious when sewer surfing, and float into a nearby river. He looses his mind and is captured by Shredder, who introduces himself as "Mister Smith" and tries to trick Donatello to work with him. His mind is restored when Michelangelo gives him a pizza.
Any ideas where I can get this issue?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #40
Overlord

English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrabblemouse View Post
Any ideas where I can get this issue?
In English? Read this: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=25100 (and maybe also this http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?p=628690)

Tags
fleetway, hero turtles