The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

What is one thing you've wanted to do with TMNT at IDW that you haven't yet been able to do? Or would answering that result in spoilers?
Old 01-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #22
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Couple more questions!

#1. Did you and the rest of the team ever consider naming the Foot Assassin in #51/52 Pimiko? I was personally hoping that would happen...

#2. Does IDW have a character blacklist, i.e. are there any preexisting TMNT characters you and the guys would NEVER, no matter what, EVER use in IDW? Not even in a throwaway gag or simple name-drop? Pimiko? Venus? Dogpound and Fishface? Eric Sachs? Cudley the Cowlick?
1. No. Pimiko carries a lot of associations with her which were not appropriate for Jennika.

2. We have a "Preferred Character" list from Nickelodeon that has all of the (very many) characters we are legally allowed to use. So basically, I have to check that list when we want to use someone, but it's rare, like Bloodsucker, when we can't. It's not set in stone, but we also try and avoid new characters from new media, at least for a year or two, more as a professional courtesy than anything else. So no plans for Eric Sachs or Fishface, but who knows, could happen in the future.

I'm a big Cudley fan, so i'd love to see the Cowlick sometime!
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #23
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

5-issue trades! Nice!

Thanks for the answers!
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #24
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PangolinFeets View Post
I'm really excited about Deviations! Is this just a one-shot or are we going to get more on this particular story? Can you give us any info on the Dark turtles???

Oh, and while you may not have video game info, what about new info on the board game? We got one spoiler image of Casey and it looks great!!
Just a one-shot story, but there's actually some elements that happen in Deviations that I think we can build on in weird ways in the TMNT ongoing. Can't really say more than that.

I'll leave it to Nate and crew to share material from the board game, but everything I've seen looks great, and I am eager to play it!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #25
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
If something catastrophic were to happen, would it be possible for the fans to somehow pitch in and help keep the comic alive? I'm guessing there's not much we can do except keep buying (which we are all thrilled to be able to do), but would there be any possibility of keeping alive in the same vein as the original Star Trek fans demanding the show be brought back for a third season?
I doubt it. I think we'd manage something that would end things at least partly the way we want it, even if it's not ideal situations. I can't see us stopping cold turkey, mid-storyline like some things in the past. What I could see is us sharing storylines we didn't get to, after the fact. Would be cool to see folks tackle those storylines. But this IS morbid! We're doing great and sales are healthy!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #26
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This one's probably been asked before, but what first got you into TMNT?
Old 01-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #27
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
What is one thing you've wanted to do with TMNT at IDW that you haven't yet been able to do? Or would answering that result in spoilers?
TMNT/Usagi crossover.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #28
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
TMNT/Usagi crossover.
Oooooh. Yes, that would be great! Hopefully someday...
Old 01-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #29
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
This one's probably been asked before, but what first got you into TMNT?
I'm 34, so grew up during prime Turtle-mania. So the cartoon and then movie. As I became a pre-teen I got into the Mirage comics in a big way. Though I had come across a couple before that. I recall the first TMNT comic I ever read was some late printing of TMNT #2 that my Mom somehow came across. I thought the Mousers were so cool! (still do!)
Old 01-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #30
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I think I'm all outta questions for now. Thanks again for taking the time to talk with us on the 'Drome, Bobby! Here's to Issue #100 and #150!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #31
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

How do you decide what characters to include in the comic? Dark Water for example seems quite obscure appearing in just one later 1987 cartoon episode. I felt that the group had potetial never utilized within it's universe of origin not considering any other appearance outside of it. Roundtable discussion of favorite characters? Research through the vast media?

What would you say to the Turtles going abroad or exploring Dimension X? I have wanted to see more from the Nuetrinos after the amazing reworking of them back in the late teens of the ongoing.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #32
mrmaczaps
Banned

Are we going to have any new artists in the near future?

Any chance for any of the Mirage Era artists or guest cover artists to work on full issues?

Any chance for a Tales of series to allow for other artists to work within the IDW Universe?

I'd like to see Steve Lavigne, Jim Lawson, Rich Woodall, Ben Bishop, Sal Otero and a few others work on the Turtles. (Just to name a few...)

(Okay to print.)

Last edited by mrmaczaps; 01-14-2016 at 03:38 PM.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #33
Ninjinister
無問題

Hi Bobby! Thanks for this thread. As you may be able to guess if you look at sigs, I'm the main administrator for Wikia's TMNT Wiki. One thing I've been trying to figure out in terms of structure is how precisely the different incarnations of the TMNT are separated, and how they can be better categorized. Right now they're listed by like, 87 series, 03 series, 12 series, Mirage, Archie, IDW, etc. But I'd like to get a better, coherent categorization like Marvel and DC do with their New/Prime Earth and Earth-616 and the like. If I were to get an official way to designate incarnations, would you or anyone else at IDW be someone I can talk to about that, or would I have to keep trying at the ear of Nick? (I've tried getting in touch with Ciro and others at Nick and have gotten nothing)

Also are we ever gonna see Tristan Jones back on anything TMNT?
Old 01-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #34
neatoman
Emperor

Where did the reincarnation idea come from? It's without a doubt the biggest deviation from what people expected and I am curious how you guys decided on it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Was the low sales of the last two mini's (Mutanimals and April/Casey) the reason there is a long gap before the next mini? I remember you saying the Batman crossover wasn't the reason we won't have a new mini for a few months, so I'm curious.

Its disappointing the Mutanimals mini especially sold so little, I thought it was great! Would love to see more stories with Hob and the other Mutanimals.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #36
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Hey Bobby, has IDW ever approached Peter Laird or Steve Murphy to write a guest issue for TMNT?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #37
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
How do you decide what characters to include in the comic? Dark Water for example seems quite obscure appearing in just one later 1987 cartoon episode. I felt that the group had potetial never utilized within it's universe of origin not considering any other appearance outside of it. Roundtable discussion of favorite characters? Research through the vast media?

What would you say to the Turtles going abroad or exploring Dimension X? I have wanted to see more from the Nuetrinos after the amazing reworking of them back in the late teens of the ongoing.
Broadly speaking, we just look to see who would best serve the story we're trying to tell. Specifically, you'd have to ask Tom. I didn't remember them from the cartoon at all!

You'll be seeing more Dimension X in the future, though not for a while.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #38
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Are we going to have any new artists in the near future?

Any chance for any of the Mirage Era artists or guest cover artists to work on full issues?

Any chance for a Tales of series to allow for other artists to work within the IDW Universe?

I'don't like to see Steve Lavigne, Jim Lawson, Rich Woodall, Ben Bishop, Sal Otero and a few others work on the Turtles. (Just to name a few...)
Yes on new artists. There's one i'm excited about I think maybe coming in after the Leatherhead arc.

I've got complicated thoughts on the Mirage crew. I'm a huge fan of all of them (the 30th Anniversary book was my big love letter to TMNT of the past), but i'm always hesitant to bring them on to the IDW book. Mostly i'd like for us to be blazing our own trail, at least artistically, and it's important to me that the book have it's own identity. That being said, anything is possible.

We've got something in the works that I hope will allow for a wide range of artists, and different types of stories.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #39
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Hi Bobby! Thanks for this thread. As you may be able to guess if you look at sigs, I'm the main administrator for Wikia's TMNT Wiki. One thing I've been trying to figure out in terms of structure is how precisely the different incarnations of the TMNT are separated, and how they can be better categorized. Right now they're listed by like, 87 series, 03 series, 12 series, Mirage, Archie, IDW, etc. But I'd like to get a better, coherent categorization like Marvel and DC do with their New/Prime Earth and Earth-616 and the like. If I were to get an official way to designate incarnations, would you or anyone else at IDW be someone I can talk to about that, or would I have to keep trying at the ear of Nick? (I've tried getting in touch with Ciro and others at Nick and have gotten nothing)

Also are we ever gonna see Tristan Jones back on anything TMNT?
That would indeed be a question for Nickelodeon, and not something I could help too much with, i'm afraid. Thanks for your work on the wiki!

No plans for Tristan at the moment. Had fun seeing him in Australia last year, though!
Old 01-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #40
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Where did the reincarnation idea come from? It's without a doubt the biggest deviation from what people expected and I am curious how you guys decided on it.
The reincarnation aspect is completely Tom's idea, so I can't speak much to where it came from (Tom, if you read this, you should feel free to chime in!). Once he floated it, it seemed like an idea that opened up a lot of story potential, so that was attractive to me. As an added bonus, it does help our TMNT stand out a bit from other iterations.

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz