The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #201
Vegita-San
Emperor

that is the trap of dragonball.

characters are weak....characters power up. wash rinse repeat.
Even the trunks story repeated itself with another dark future.

question is, can they make the story itself fun so fans can put up with the repeated stuff? I think for the most part they did.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #202
sdp
Megan Fox = April

This is why I haven't been excited for Super and never cared for it. I loved DB as a kid and especially the end when it was King Piccolo v Goku. When DBZ came out and it was more stuff like Piccolo v Goku but with raised stakes I was all over it. But yeah after the Saiyan, Freeza, Android, Cell saga things were getting a bit tired with the formula. The buu saga at least spiced things up by adding tons of crazy different ideas to the normal power creep strategy they had been doing.

GT was a return to DB style stories so even though it had annoying things it was a breath of fresh air and when they switched to a more DBZ approach it worked, I loved the ideas for it and the ending to the story made more sense than say the Buu saga at least for closure to the story of Goku. I enjoyed the different specials/movies that came out before Super because they were one off things and comedic for the most part.

But Super going back to the DBZ style is just ridiculous, at times I really want to see it and others I am wondering how people can still enjoy it. As I mentioned I did get to watch some episodes of Super and had a blast, they were mostly comedy oriented episodes which really worked for me. But yeah I'm not sure where the franchise should go after this, do people really want more DBZ style action with the same characters? It would mean how many more powerups for Goku? The video games with what if scenarios and re-drawn scenes seem to be far more interesting. Would they ever consider moving away from Goku? Would that even really fix the problems as Gohan or whoever took the mantle would be Goku in everything sans name.

I hate butting in without having really watched Super but I can't help but get into the hype when people keep talking about a franchise I enjoy.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #203
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH24 View Post
I don't know what it is, but I'm just not enjoying this as much anymore. This arc started so well, but they dragged out the Goku/Vegeta vs Jiren fight so much. Just one power-up after another. They shouldn't have been able to even stand yet they can go SSB again within a minute or two.

I know this is what happens in DB, but they took it to the extreme in this tournament. The way Jiren failed to eliminate his opponents over and over again was ridiculous. What's the point in having ultimate strength if you let your opponents bounce back again and again?
I kinda sorta agree. One thing is a hero having resolve, as many shonen characters have *coughs* Ichigo *coughs*, but it's another thing when it's obvious the only reason a certain character isn't dead yet is because he's a main character.

The part that got me the most was the Goku Black saga with the constant characters getting impaled. I kinda wish they didn't give the villains sharp weapons because it was ridiculous seeing Vegeta get run through and not bleed out and die. At least when Freeza blasted the heck out of Gohan there was that danger that he was going to die.

The only thing I'm a bit hesitant about the new series is the obligatory transformations. That's just how it goes, DBZ has gotten so known for transformations that a new series simply must have them. I kinda feel Ultra Instinct should just be it. But clearly the next series is going to have some new character make Ultra Instinct Goku his bitch and force him to reach Super Mega Ultimate Instinct and other such nonsense.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #204
Vegita-San
Emperor

yeah. it would be nice if they moved away from goku.

i'm still rather annoyed they made videl a simple housewife. takes away alot of her fun character. but at least 18 still knows how to fight.

I thought it would be fun if they gave the non saiyan characters saiyan DNA, so at least they could keep up on the power level side of things.

One good thing about super though is that it gave Vegita a little bit more development. him being so happy he trained cabba to go super saiyan as he got bombarded by attacks is one of the greater series moments.

Although I do think Super is a nice mix of db style humor and dbz style action. one of the things i like about it.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #205
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Super also has the best fillers. I liked the way Super showed the characters and their lives, and somehow it flowed more natural here than in DB/DBZ. Even the mini Saiyaman movie arc, I liked seeing a big of Gohan and Videl's normal life. It reminds you what he's fighting for later on.

People give Chichi flack for how she raised Gohan, but she did raise him to be a normal guy that was able to find a hot wife, form a family and have a good job. Gohan was never meant to be a warrior and any time he fought in DBZ was so he could be able to return to a life of peace, unlike the other characters that would just go back to training and fighting. She didn't want Gohan to grow up to be a dumbass like Goku and she succeeded.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #206
CyberCubed
Overlord

If they would move away from Goku and focus on the younger generation like Trunks, Goten, Uub, Pan, Bra and Marron, you have a whole new cast of younger characters that aren't that strong (Trunks and Goten are only Super Saiyan 1's, besides Gotenks being SSJ3 which is nothing now), and have them fight a new bunch of villains.

Goku should go off to become a God and leave the Earth. I hope Dragonball comes back it takes place after the end of DBZ.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #207
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Most people would love that but most people see Dragon Ball = Goku so they won't do it to their big money maker, especially after how badly received GT was, and that one had Goku. So I don't see them changing up the formula too much from Z.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #208
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Super also has the best fillers. I liked the way Super showed the characters and their lives, and somehow it flowed more natural here than in DB/DBZ. Even the mini Saiyaman movie arc, I liked seeing a big of Gohan and Videl's normal life. It reminds you what he's fighting for later on.

People give Chichi flack for how she raised Gohan, but she did raise him to be a normal guy that was able to find a hot wife, form a family and have a good job. Gohan was never meant to be a warrior and any time he fought in DBZ was so he could be able to return to a life of peace, unlike the other characters that would just go back to training and fighting. She didn't want Gohan to grow up to be a dumbass like Goku and she succeeded.
agreed. Saiyaman can be a rather annoying character if not done right, but I rather enjoyed that brief two parter with Gohan in Super and it gave Videl something to do other than be a housewife.

I think it'd be rather interesting if they made satan something other than a comic character too. could be a fun story to see him try and pick up his training again and get to the level of a krillin or tenshinhan.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #209
Vegita-San
Emperor

17 explodes himself, but somehow comes back? better be a damn good explanation. sigh.

I'm calling it now. all the universes get restored.

But I have NO idea how they are going to tie it all up in one episode. should have ended in 130.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #210
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
17 explodes himself, but somehow comes back? better be a damn good explanation. sigh.

But I have NO idea how they are going to tie it all up in one episode. should have ended in 130.
Or rather, the fight should have ended now and the next episode would have been all the post battle stuff, like having the characters go back home, showing whatever the wish would be, and so forth.

I have no idea how they're gonna end the next episode unless it's an hour long special or something. At this rate it looks like the they'll defeat Jiren, show Goku raise his arm in victory, roll end credits. Ran out of time to show anything else.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:30 PM   #211
CyberCubed
Overlord

Dragonball is just going on hiatus because they're working on the movie in December, it's not like the show is ending here. Dragonball Super, or a show with a new title, will likely start around March 2019 when the new anime season starts. Toei already said Dragonball isn't over on TV and said it will be back, you can read all the news on kazenshuu.

But I do agree there should have been at least one aftermath episode after the fights ended to wrap everything up. I guess the last ep will be rather rushed, but who knows.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:33 AM   #212
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Toriyama loves Goku too much to give other characters the spotlight (Frieza's defeat in Resurrection was the worst for me). Whether Goku stays on Earth or not, it's still good to give those other characters a shot. Even Naruto gets that right, occasionally.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #213
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Or rather, the fight should have ended now and the next episode would have been all the post battle stuff, like having the characters go back home, showing whatever the wish would be, and so forth.
isn't that what I said?

I'll admit. I have NO idea how this will all end.

If After all that, though, And goku wins as just black haired goku, or even gets up again at all after all that..it'll be dissapointing.

There's no way Freiza and 17 should have survived at all at this point with all that fighting around.

RE: Toyiama. As I recall, in an interview apparently it was the FANS who didn't want to shift it off Goku. Toriyama wanted to pass the torch to Gohan. Twice. But because of how gohan started out a whiner, no one really liked him and didn't appreciate his attempt at character growth.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #214
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
isn't that what I said?

I'll admit. I have NO idea how this will all end.

If After all that, though, And goku wins as just black haired goku, or even gets up again at all after all that..it'll be dissapointing.

There's no way Freiza and 17 should have survived at all at this point with all that fighting around.

RE: Toyiama. As I recall, in an interview apparently it was the FANS who didn't want to shift it off Goku. Toriyama wanted to pass the torch to Gohan. Twice. But because of how gohan started out a whiner, no one really liked him and didn't appreciate his attempt at character growth.
At least one could argue that 17 can't get tired and has infinite energy, with all the fighting Goku and Vegeta did they would need at least 3 senzu beans before half time.

Last edited by PApagreg; 03-19-2018 at 10:10 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #215
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing, after universe 7 wins it all, Goku uses his wish to restore everyone, if he survives, to me it seems Goku will die next episode

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #216
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
I was thinking the same thing, after universe 7 wins it all, Goku uses his wish to restore everyone, if he survives, to me it seems Goku will die next episode
And revive just in time for the new movie this December?

Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #217
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

And though this series ends lets not forgot hero who enjoyed the most in this arc

THE MVP HIMSELF
Spoiler:
Old 03-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #218
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
And though this series ends lets not forgot hero who enjoyed the most in this arc

THE MVP HIMSELF
The ending was predictable with some surprising things. Love the way the tournament ended.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:21 PM   #219
CyberCubed
Overlord

All I have to say is thank god Freeza didn't stay on Earth. I was worried he would stay at Capsule Corp when they showed him at the end there, thank god he went back into space to rebuild his empire.

"Good guy Freeza" is not something I ever want to see, him reforming like Vegeta or Piccolo, etc. It would ruin his character and Toriyama/Dragonball would jump the shark. Thankfully he confirmed he's still evil.

Kind of ironic though that now that Freeza knows Universe 7 has barely any planets, I wonder if he will try to invade other universes. He obviously won't attack Earth again anytime soon after he's seen Goku's power.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:32 AM   #220
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
"Good guy Freeza" is not something I ever want to see, him reforming like Vegeta or Piccolo, etc. It would ruin his character and Toriyama/Dragonball would jump the shark. Thankfully he confirmed he's still evil.
I'm surprised you actually thought that was a possibility.

But I'm sure we all knew what the wish was going to be. It was pretty obvious that was going to happen.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote