The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 11,070
TMNT Plush Toys

How many variants were released of the vintage TMNT Plush Toys back in the 1980s-1990s? I'm thinking they were made by Playmates Toys, and I remember toys for only the four turtles in various sizes. Some had suction cups for window hanging, and there were a few Christmas variants:
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 8,271
For the Playmates plushes, yes, there were small ones with suction cups for car windows.

And then the standard 12-ish inch size. There are actually two variants of Mike and Raph in this size. The earlier versions had wire stiffeners in the frame of the body, intended to make them somewhat posable (it never really worked). Later versions of those two didn't have the wire. Leo and Don never had wire.

And I believe Playmates made a giant size Mike and Raph, but not Leo and Don.

There was only a Santa Raph.

There were a lot of other plushes available from that time, most notably by ACE novelty company. Frankly, all of these were crap.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
There were a lot of other plushes available from that time, most notably by ACE novelty company. Frankly, all of these were crap.
I have one of the ACE Leos and I can attest to it's sheer cruddiness.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
JonesyKitty
Stone Warrior
 
JonesyKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I believe Playmates made a giant size Mike and Raph, but not Leo and Don.
If you are talking about the giant sized plushes that are several feet tall, there is at least a Leo. I took a selfie with a giant Raph and Leo at a collectors shop a while back haha.
JonesyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 8,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesyKitty View Post
If you are talking about the giant sized plushes that are several feet tall, there is at least a Leo. I took a selfie with a giant Raph and Leo at a collectors shop a while back haha.
Nice! The big ones are quite rare, making info about them hard to confirm.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:38 AM   #6
Filespit
Hench Mutant
 
Filespit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
For the Playmates plushes, yes, there were small ones with suction cups for car windows.

And then the standard 12-ish inch size. There are actually two variants of Mike and Raph in this size. The earlier versions had wire stiffeners in the frame of the body, intended to make them somewhat posable (it never really worked). Later versions of those two didn't have the wire. Leo and Don never had wire.

And I believe Playmates made a giant size Mike and Raph, but not Leo and Don.

There was only a Santa Raph.

There were a lot of other plushes available from that time, most notably by ACE novelty company. Frankly, all of these were crap.
I can confirm that they did indeed make giant sized versions of Leo and Don since I own a giant sized Leo (and Raph and Mikey) myself, and I've seen Don on eBay. The giant sized ones are extremely rare and usually go for crazy prices, so I consider myself lucky to have been able to pick them up (if anyone is sitting on a Don, I'd be interested...). I also have all four in medium size and Leo in small size.

The small ones came with or without suction cups. I think maybe even the medium sized ones could have suctions cups, but I might be wrong.

These were all made by Playmates and they are definitely of much higher quality than the ACE ones, which I agree are total crap.

EDIT: After a quick Google search I found this, confirming that giant Donnies do exist!
https://wanelo.co/p/57941258/vintage...istmas-holiday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPt8F3afZy4 (around 4.50)

Last edited by Filespit; 09-09-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 11,070
Thanks to everybody for the feedback on this question! Very educational for me thus far!
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #8
miru
Mad Scientist
 
miru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,624
I'm pretty sure there was also a Splinter plush available at some point (or they at least planned to do one). 2k3 ones also existed:

http://redding-ca.americanlisted.com..._29857001.html

That's not even going into more modern stuff, both of 2012 series and more accurate 87-style plush, now with more characters available.
__________________
Proud Digimon nut.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:20 AM   #9
JonesyKitty
Stone Warrior
 
JonesyKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I'm pretty sure there was also a Splinter plush available at some point
I believe those were prototypes in a Playmates catalog (I forget which year). Also had prototype Bebop and Rocksteady polishes. Shame those never made it to production, I'd kill for the Bebop!
JonesyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist
 
I Crave Pizza No More's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 1,034
Yes, there were also 2K3 plushies. I love the old Playmates ones, though.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.