The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm just stuck on the writers. Both only known for directly comedy stuff. As if Platinum Dunes watched their TMNT films fail and sat back, used all of these years since 2016's failure and went, "Ah! We've got it now. We've cracked the code. Those movies just weren't funny enough!"

That's all they've "learned." And this is after hiring Rogen to do a CGI movie which will, presumably, also be largely comedic in nature.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-02-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #22
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Too soon to be excited. No info, prob won't be any for a long time, and we've already burned too many times...

Although the topic isn't ignored, so that's something at least?

I just want them to focus on some decent designs and not do a bunch of kiddie crap. PD may have tried to lean more into the 80s cartoon in the 2nd movie, but at least they didn't make the movie itself or the Turtles childish and, their personalities in OotS were done right for the most part (which was key to my moderate enjoyment of that one). If anything they looked and seemed older than the film tries to pretend they are. So I at least sort of, kinda, amost trust the PD side of things at least a little to not want to zero in on and focus on the "teenage" part of the title and do whatever the heck Rogen seems to suggest he's trying to do.

Crucify me, but I kinda wanna see PD Leo again someday, though I know that prob 99% chance isn't ever going to happen. But if they at least get the TMNT right in personality and some good looking designs (and not the size of trucks!)... and try for a decent story... I can deal with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm just stuck on the writers. Both only known for directly comedy stuff.
Oh... great.

Yeah, I'd love to be excited over a film instead of fearing they're just going to screw it up again.

I really want to know what that other script was. What little info there was at the time at least sounded like it was being written, not just intended. Given the list of other things Lindsey Beer has been writing for, having her on board had given me some hope previously. (That, and maybe steering a Bay produced film away from some of his BS he likes to do with female character portrayal.) Never mind, I guess...

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-02-2021 at 08:23 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Wake me when Viacom sells the IP.
This.

Guys, I've been saying since the first BayTurtles movie came out: It's ALL just kiddie crap now. Don't hold your breath for anything else, it ain't happening. Unless Viacom gets bored and sells the property to WB, we are never getting another TMNT movie that isn't kiddie crap. That's 100% of why they bought the f*cking brand. To them, it's a toy commercial. If we even get a movie that's even PG-13, it'll be for dick-and-fart humor.

To those who insist on "living in hope", I'm sorry, but I have to be blunt: You are F*cking Delusional. STOP IT.
-------------

This will sound screwy considering what I just got done saying, but "in fairness to Michael Bay" (ugh), his name being on it as a producer doesn't... necessarily mean he has strong input this time around. Zack Snyder is a producer on Gunn's new "The Suicide Squad" for example but he had zero at all to do with it. Some of this stuff is just contractual; people get a title and a paycheck because they were involved with the brand at one time but it doesn't necessarily mean they were actually involved with its more recent productions.

Just stating facts for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate. Bay very well might be super hands-on like last time. But even if he isn't, the people they're hiring to write it just shows that it's gonna be junk anyway.

There can't be a good TMNT movie so long as the people who own it only want to make products for the under-10 crowd. It simply isn't even a possibility. Less Than Zero Chance of ever getting anything good.

Just give up. It's incredibly liberating, once you finally make peace with it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:33 PM   #24
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I’m interested in both this and Rogen’s movie but it’s so early there’s nothing to spark excitement yet.

I don’t really care if it’s PD again. It’s obviously not a continuation of the previous 2 and there’s different people on it.

Both will definitely have a comedy side based on the names (and Nick) but I’m sure they’ll have a legitimate plot/story. The others did. Just were not done well.

You can still have a good movie with a comedy side. I guess I’ll say I’m more excited about this because I prefer Live Action and it should overall be better.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:37 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I’m interested in both this and Rogen’s movie but it’s so early there’s nothing to spark excitement yet.

I don’t really care if it’s PD again. It’s obviously not a continuation of the previous 2 and there’s different people on it.

Both will definitely have a comedy side based on the names (and Nick) but I’m sure they’ll have a legitimate plot/story. The others did. Just were not done well.

You can still have a good movie with a comedy side. I guess I’ll say I’m more excited about this because I prefer Live Action and it should overall be better.
I'm genuinely curious -- what about this particular project inspires even the tiniest bit of hope or faith to spark said interest?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:53 PM   #26
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm genuinely curious -- what about this particular project inspires even the tiniest bit of hope or faith to spark said interest?
It’s being done by different people (even if it’s under the same studio, like Leo656 said it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the same guy).

Despite what people like to think everyone’s vision is different. Constantly rebooting is not consistent but it does mean each new version has a chance to be good.

It’s not going to be the gritty/R type movie a lot of people want but it could be a good movie that hits the right balance of solid story and lightheartedness.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:05 AM   #27
Turo602
The King of Kings

There's very little info on both of these TMNT movies to care or have any strong opinions about it. Outside of the people involved being questionable, there's nothing that indicates these movies will automatically reflect everything these guys are known for. Kevin Smith just got f*cking annihilated for his take on He-Man and none of it has been for weed jokes or sh*t like that. These dudes could just be Ninja Turtles fans and want to do something they think will be cool. Granted, these projects could very well be influenced and shaped by the 80s cartoon, but that also doesn't mean it's gonna automatically suck either or be a carbon copy of the 80s cartoon.

I have 0 faith that any TMNT film from now until my death will ever be as great as the original, but I'm also not gonna trash these projects just yet, based purely on a few names involved without knowing absolute sh*t about them. I'd rather know or see something more concrete before trying to decipher whether or not it will line up with my personal preferences. Otherwise, these names honestly mean nothing right now.

Last edited by Turo602; 08-03-2021 at 02:15 AM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:47 AM   #28
newfan
Mad Scientist

When I first saw this thread I wondered if it was an old one from years back (like a rumour that never came to be or something)

We already have a long thread from the last time they said another PD movie was coming, I guess this is a revival of that, but changing up a little?

Between a live action TMNT movie already being talked about, the Robocop movie that seems to have died (ownership changed too since then), the He-Man movie that also died and the continually on and off Star Trek movie I think I've come to take announcements as things that may or may not happen unless updates and progress some along.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:56 AM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
We already have a long thread from the last time they said another PD movie was coming, I guess this is a revival of that, but changing up a little?
It seems like the same "new reboot from Platinum Dunes" that was soft-announced 2 years ago or so. They just let things simmer for a while and/or have been soliciting pitches in the interim.

It's possible Platinum Dunes has some kind of 3 picture deal with Viacom/Paramount on lock. Like, since 2014 they get first crack at 3 live action movies and have X amount of years to do so in, and in between such time nobody else can do any live action TMNT movies. It might also explain why Nick wants to do the Rogen CGI movie... since maybe even they don't have a ton of faith in a 3rd Platinum Dunes movie (or at least don't want to put all their eggs in one basket).
Old 08-03-2021, 04:34 AM   #30
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I hope the writers look at the IDW comic for inspiration, There's a lot they can pick and choose from.

Also they will have to recast the actors who played the Turtles, Its no doubt they will go the motion capture route again.

As for the action? The John Wick style of action has become popular in a lot of movies these days, You think they go with that kind of approach for all the action scenes even though its gonna be PG-13?

I'm really excited to live in a world where we are getting two TMNT movies, I doubt they will both be released the same year.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

What I wonder though is why they are they trying to pump out so many TMNT movies so close together? After the 2014-2016 movies bombed I thought that was enough for them to put the franchise on ice for awhile, but we're getting two more movie reboots, both in their own continuities, after?

It hasn't been that long since the movies (2016 was like...yesterday) so I don't see what they're planning here.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #32
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

It's all about creating as much content as possible these days especially with known IPs like TMNT.

Figured we'd get another series before another live action movie though.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:37 PM   #33
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
we are never getting another TMNT movie that isn't kiddie crap.
Don't make me smack you with my copy of Batman vs TMNT. Sure, DC obviously is the one who did that, but at least it was allowed to happen... blood, decapitated heads, and throwing stars to foreheads and all. (Shocked that Nick allowed it.) Not a perfect movie, but definitely not kiddie crap.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #34
sdp
Baxter did nothing wrong

won't believe any movie is in active development until we see proof that it's not stuck in development hell.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

I hope this movie doesn't come out either. I'd rather wait till 2030 for a new live-action reboot.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #36
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
won't believe any movie is in active development until we see proof that it's not stuck in development hell.
We will once we see set photos.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #37
Galactus
Foot Elite

To be honest I don't think TMNT has the juice for two concurrent movie series; one animated and one live action. Spider-Man is a much more popular franchise and just about pulled it off commercially.

However to play devils advocate this set up could potentially be good. You could have the animated movie be the funny Fred Wolf inspired series for the kids with Bebops and Rocksteady's and Technodromes while the live action series be more serious Mirage inspired stories. It could please both audiences. Of course that's not the way things will likely play out. If either of these movies end up being released we know the Rogen movie will be some goofy re-imagining of the characters and the live action one looks to also be light hearted fare. Nobody wants that.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:43 AM   #38
Papenbrook
Sonicalypse

It sounds like Paramount wants an experimental movie franchise.

Here's hoping that they both manage to work. And if they don't, ... at least they tried.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:31 AM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Don't make me smack you with my copy of Batman vs TMNT. Sure, DC obviously is the one who did that, but at least it was allowed to happen... blood, decapitated heads, and throwing stars to foreheads and all. (Shocked that Nick allowed it.) Not a perfect movie, but definitely not kiddie crap.
I don't count direct-to-DVD stuff alongside "real" movies. By definition it's a much more niche product and therefore you can take a lot more risks.

I mean it's SOMEthing, sure. But I stand by my statement. They're not ever going to do anything "grown-up" in the mass-market space with TMNT.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:20 AM   #40
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't count direct-to-DVD stuff alongside "real" movies. By definition it's a much more niche product and therefore you can take a lot more risks.

I mean it's SOMEthing, sure. But I stand by my statement. They're not ever going to do anything "grown-up" in the mass-market space with TMNT.
I mean, she's not wrong and I do agree that it counts but they need more than just that and The Last Ronin. Like, a lot more.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote