The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: In retrospect, how bad was it?
Not bad at all. 1 2.56%
Not that bad. 5 12.82%
Somewhat bad. 4 10.26%
Just bad. 6 15.38%
Pretty bad. 5 12.82%
Really bad. 10 25.64%
Awful. 15 38.46%
The worst 14 35.90%
Might work with the alteration you suggested. 1 2.56%
Might work a different alteration. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2017, 05:31 AM   #21
newfan
Mad Scientist

I didn't have to know the TMNT stories well to find the book thing a bit weak... and not only that, but just one book. I remember watching the movie and thinking 'what?' suddenly Splinters skills (though of course he has them) lost some credibility.

The idea mentioned by some about Yoshi training the mutated rat is certainly something they could try.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #22
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I didn't even think about Leatherhead being a mutation that Yoshi witnessed. I was thinking he was a mutation that happened after Yoshi's/Splinter's - depending on which direction gets followed.

Maybe they were mutated in the sewer/basement with Yoshi, because when the reptile minds developed humanoid sapience, they had the duckling phenomenon and attached themselves to the nearest thing around. Which the Utroms determined to be Yoshi/Splinter since they wanted him to have companions. Perhaps they would have learned this from mutating Leatherhead earlier than the turtles, hoping he'd be the companion, but discovering he attached himself to Dr. Xeinos.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #23
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
That's completely different though. You're comparing it between a homeless person that have no prior connections to Martial Arts, Shinobi no Jutsu or Japanese culture in general, finds a book in another language with super simplified artworks.

Compared to Karai who's ancestry lies in a Ninja Clan with the scrolls and probably still someone that holds the oral traditions and the funds to hire professionals to recreate whatever techniques the Foot had or supplement with other schools techniques to fill in the gaps.

And she had the ghost of Shredder to help her, plus iirc Karai's dad Yori was the one who made the Clan into corrupt business men instead of hired pajamas mercenaries, so it's not that far off that some Clan members still knew the "old way" since what, the Foot Clan wasn't ninjas for 20-30 odd years?
Hey I never said it was the same, just that the ideia has been used before in the franchise, I even said she used the book as a basis, I never compared them both.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
Hey I never said it was the same, just that the ideia has been used before in the franchise, I even said she used the book as a basis, I never compared them both.
Esse autocorrect
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #25
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Esse autocorrect
Actually I don't have one, that was 100% caused by my Dyslexia...
Old 10-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
Actually I don't have one, that was 100% caused by my Dyslexia...
Oh. My bad then. Dyslexia sounds like a pain.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:38 PM   #27
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Oh. My bad then. Dyslexia sounds like a pain.
I don't suffer from it... I think but the older I get I find myself doing that more and more, both in writing and speaking, I even forget some words guess I'm getting too old for this sh... erm, you know...
Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #28
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i'd have much preferred it if Splinter had instead found a cook book, and taught the Turtles to be masters of the Culinary Arts.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:35 PM   #29
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That actually sounds amazing . Like if the 90's Soccer Moms took their "no violence" fit to a whole new extreme. Though, that would probably mean far greater nightmares than those spawned from post-musical tour...

Or in the opposite extreme, something pretty cool came out of it, if not obscure.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #30
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

You know, the stupid part is the Yoshi backstory could have been worked into the 2014 film SO EASILY. During the part where April is talkign to sacks, just have him recite the Story of Yoshi and his four sons. Nothing extra to film, just one monologue, ending with 'legends says the five will be reborn someday'. THAT'S IT. No other need to dwell on it, but it was just toooo hard to stick in there!

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #31
Roseangelo
Emperor

As someone who has been taking karate five days a week for almost six years, I cannot stress enough how impossible it is to learn any level of martial arts from a book.

I browse YouTube a lot looking at training videos, and here's my go-to video that demonstrates someone who is attempting to learn karate through a DVD series:

Nothing about this is good at all. All of these video courses are basically stealing money from people.

Even training with an instructor doesn't guarantee results. We get transfer students from other dojos in the area who don't even come close to meeting the standards for the rank they are wearing and require a lot of catching up.

Having a good instructor is an absolute requirement to have any chance of becoming a martial artist. And a book is not a good instructor.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #32
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Wow, I'm not even trained in martial arts and even I can tell that's not good.

You get the golden trophy for explaining why that won't even work in the slightest - heck, why even Splinter learning by mimicking Yoshi wouldn't work. He'd either have to be Yoshi or been actually taught by Yoshi in some wacky sense (which I've been inspired to explore, actually).
Old 11-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #33
sdp
-

I don't know Rose you're opening a can of worms if we want to decide what is legit martial arts and what's not. I'd argue most modern American dojos are scams for money. It's hard to find a legit school and I can see some people totally being able to learn from a video and even a book, hell one of my sensei's had this old ass book that fell apart that he would look at whenever he would forget what went on in a Kata, of course he actually learned from a teacher and only used it as a resource.

That video though, I feel so bad for him but if he really does know the Katas he would only need a few classes with a teacher to teach him how to do the them correctly, the hardest part for the most part is remembering the moves, perfectioning the stances is also hard especially if you have bad habits but you can learn that faster I would think.

Then again I feel most Katas are trash and should only be learned by kids as a way to teach them discipline, anyone older than 15 should be learning things you can actually use in combat.

But as far as the thread itself, that's the only reason I prefer Hamato Yoshi as a human, the rat learning by itself is dumb.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:33 PM   #34
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I don't know Rose you're opening a can of worms if we want to decide what is legit martial arts and what's not. I'd argue most modern American dojos are scams for money. It's hard to find a legit school and I can see some people totally being able to learn from a video and even a book, hell one of my sensei's had this old ass book that fell apart that he would look at whenever he would forget what went on in a Kata, of course he actually learned from a teacher and only used it as a resource.
Well, I'm not going to get into the wormhole of "legit" martial arts. But basic techniques like front/round/side/back kicks, as well as basic punches, should be pretty transferable between styles, and good technique vs. bad technique is going to be pretty recognizable.

You are right that someone who already has a background in martial arts can use a book or a video as a reference to be able to pick up something new, or remember something that's been forgotten. Just last week I was learning some black belt level techniques that are brand new to me and my instructor had to go dig out his references for them, because it's been years since any students have gotten to the level to be learning these.

Quote:
Then again I feel most Katas are trash and should only be learned by kids as a way to teach them discipline, anyone older than 15 should be learning things you can actually use in combat.
I love forms/katas, and respectfully disagree with everyone who finds them to be worthless. I have yet to see a student whose ability in forms didn't accurately reflect their ability in all other skills. Sloppy forms = sloppy everything else. But I also believe learning martial arts isn't all about learning combat. I know there are a lot of junk schools out there, and I feel really lucky to have found my way to one that isn't.

Quote:
But as far as the thread itself, that's the only reason I prefer Hamato Yoshi as a human, the rat learning by itself is dumb.
Big YES.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #35
sdp
-

I can't stand doing Katas as an adult, I appreciate learning them as a kid though. I agree with being sloppy translating to everything else and the need of good form but that's not necessarily covered in katas, so we just disagree with Katas and that some people could theoretically learn by themselves.

I'm glad you found a good school, I switch styles frequently so I constantly run across plenty of bad ones, but not to say there aren't good ones.

Don't you use an app for your karate as well? I remember seeing many of your tweets mentioning something about that and was always curious.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #36
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Don't you use an app for your karate as well? I remember seeing many of your tweets mentioning something about that and was always curious.
The only app I use is a general exercise tracking app. I just like keeping track of things, and it also comes in handy because my work gives a discount on insurance if you can prove you live an “active lifestyle.”
Old 12-29-2017, 12:56 AM   #37
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Since they were using the TMNT origin from the IDW comics where the Turtles and Splinter start out as lab animals. But then when Splinter finds the book on ninjutsu he doesn’t exactly learn from it, but it helps jog the memory of a previous existence as Hamato Yoshi. And his sons also pick up these skills rather easily as well and maybe have hints such as maybe Mikey or someone off handedly mention having weird dreams or finding strange how they seemed to have mastered their skills so easily and how it feels like they’ve learned these skills before.

Last edited by victory_angel; 12-29-2017 at 02:59 AM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:27 AM   #38
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Since they were using the TMNT origin from the mirage comics where the Turtles and Splinter start out as lab animals. But then when Splinter finds the book on ninjutsu he doesn’t exactly learn from it, but it helps jog the memory of a previous existence as Hamato Yoshi. And his sons also pick up these skills rather easily as well and maybe have hints such as maybe Mikey or someone off handedly mention having weird dreams or finding strange how they seemed to have mastered their skills so easily and how it feels like they’ve learned these skills before.
Don't you mean the IDW comics?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:30 AM   #39
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

But they weren't lab animals in Mirage.

Splinter was Hamato Yoshi's pet and the turtles belonged to some random kid standing in the path of "Daredevil", a blind man, and an Utrom driving like an idiot in a truck full of mutagenic waste.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:02 AM   #40
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Don't you mean the IDW comics?
Yeah I had meant to say IDW, sorry for the Freudian slip

Tags
learning it from a book