The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-06-2020, 02:32 AM   #1
D-ray
Foot Soldier

The most underrated characters

Hi y'all! Since I love character design, and have an interest in deep or just particular characters, I wanted to know which one (from any serie) is considered the most underrated one.

For underrated, I don't mean only by the community, but generally from the show itself (For example: Usagi in the 1987 serie, who is barely used and barely taken in consideration).

So who do you consider a very underrated character? If you can, explain why you think that he shouldn't be, talking about his role, importance or whatever!

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Doctor Dome I'd say would be a good place to start.

Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I'd consider Master Tatsu underrated, only because he is under-used and doesn't get the wide exposure in other TMNT media they way other characters do. Whether it's because he's kind of redundant due to Karai or whether TMNT creators just don't like him as much... I think Tatsu deserves a chance at backstory and character development. So, yeah, I vote Tatsu.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Shreeka from the 1987 series. She only appeared in one episode, but she left a big impression on me. She has an interesting backstory with Krang and is one of the most formidable villains the 87 turtles ever faced in the blue sky era.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:03 AM   #5
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Doctor Dome I'd say would be a good place to start.

The Justice league's only "real" appearence in the shows is in one episode.
Is he a villain in the comics? Because in the 2003 serie he was a good guy.
And why you consider him so underrated? What's special about him?
I mean, apart from his design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985
I'd consider Master Tatsu underrated, only because he is under-used and doesn't get the wide exposure in other TMNT media they way other characters do. Whether it's because he's kind of redundant due to Karai or whether TMNT creators just don't like him as much... I think Tatsu deserves a chance at backstory and character development. So, yeah, I vote Tatsu.
Hironic how I always considered him the only interesting character in the movie. I still consider Karai a better character, but he reminds me of a less """""dumb""""" version of Hun.
I only watched entirely the Secret of the Ooze, in which had a little role, but still enough to make him important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley
Shreeka from the 1987 series. She only appeared in one episode, but she left a big impression on me. She has an interesting backstory with Krang and is one of the most formidable villains the 87 turtles ever faced in the blue sky era.
Well, she atleast got abit of spotlight as a meme. Is not an easy achievement for the TMNT characters anyway.

VICTORY!"

Last edited by D-ray; 06-08-2020 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:10 AM   #6
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Tatsu

As Tatsu has always been popular among TMNT fans, I consider him underrated, not underused.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:22 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
The Justice league's only "real" appearence in the shows is in one episode.
Is he a villain in the comics? Because in the 2003 serie he was a good guy.
And why you consider him so underrated? What's special about him?
I mean, apart from his design.
  1. He was a disgruntled hero who wanted revenge, the show added the twist that it was his daughter who was actually behind it but it's basically the same story aside from that.
  2. I'm mostly a sucker for fallen heroes. There's plenty of potential there that hasn't been utilised. Like you said, hes's a minor character but he could be compelling if he was used more. Also the domeoids are cute.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #8
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
  1. He was a disgruntled hero who wanted revenge, the show added the twist that it was his daughter who was actually behind it but it's basically the same story aside from that.
  2. I'm mostly a sucker for fallen heroes. There's plenty of potential there that hasn't been utilised. Like you said, hes's a minor character but he could be compelling if he was used more. Also the domeoids are cute.
Doctor Dome is indeed a nicely made character, but I can imagine why they reduced him to a cameo in the animated serie (probably to not move out the attention from the main characters), just like Stainless Steel Steve (my personal favourite).

But, even tho the Domeidos are cute, nothing is comparable to the lovely Mousers!

VICTORY!"
Old 06-12-2020, 11:17 PM   #9
Mr_riddler
Random Punk

I'll say Drakus. He was the one who helped Krang design the Technodrome and Krang paid for his help by destroying his home world, in Krang's words: "it was nothing personal, I had no further use for you"
Old 06-13-2020, 05:54 AM   #10
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I'd like to add something here as far as underrated or underused characters are concerned.... I think with IDW's comic reboot in 2011, we could have seen Tatsu in the role of Karai. That would have at least made it different than the 2003 cartoon, or at the very least have Tatsu be some kind of Foot Clan elder along with Karai... and I would also have liked to see Professor Jordan Perry in the role of Herald.

I think these would have been good nods to the Golden Harvest movies. Alas, what we ended up with was still excellent.

A post above claims that Tatsu is not underused. Really? Besides a videogame and the films, what else has he been in? Just a question.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #11
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
I'd like to add something here as far as underrated or underused characters are concerned.... I think with IDW's comic reboot in 2011, we could have seen Tatsu in the role of Karai. That would have at least made it different than the 2003 cartoon, or at the very least have Tatsu be some kind of Foot Clan elder along with Karai... and I would also have liked to see Professor Jordan Perry in the role of Herald.

I think these would have been good nods to the Golden Harvest movies. Alas, what we ended up with was still excellent.

A post above claims that Tatsu is not underused. Really? Besides a videogame and the films, what else has he been in? Just a question.
It would have been probably more consistent considering the fact that the 2011 movie is a bit of a mess in terms of continuity (it has some 2003 and 1987 mixed together).

VICTORY!"
Old 07-05-2020, 11:30 PM   #12
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post

He was in the 2012 series as a master swordsman and Shredder's second in command over the Japan based foot clan.

And he was a major player in the Shredder In Hell series where he is founder of the foot clan trying to reclaim his spot by taking over Oroku Saki's body. Saki is the reincarnation of Tatsu in that universe. There's a lot to the story, highly recommend reading it if you haven't!
bgb1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:26 PM   #13
sleeplessknight
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgb1018 View Post
He was in the 2012 series as a master swordsman and Shredder's second in command over the Japan based foot clan.
It's a shame they literally kill him right after introducing him. They done my boy Tatsu dirty.

To this day, I still quote him when I tell my nieces, nephews, and other kids to "Go! Play."
sleeplessknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:10 AM   #14
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessknight View Post
It's a shame they literally kill him right after introducing him. They done my boy Tatsu dirty.

To this day, I still quote him when I tell my nieces, nephews, and other kids to "Go! Play."
I 100% agree. I understand that he was a plot device and was used solely as a way to tell the story of Oroku Saki's redemption, but i feel like there is still so much left to be written about him. Hopefully, they revisit the character down the road, seeing as reincarnation has been established in this continuity already. I'd love to see a full fledged arc with him and the Pantheon either working together or at odds with one another.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #15
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Xever from the 2012 series, we don't get a lot of characters with different martial arts funny enough and his Caporia was always a blast to see. Too bad he got turned into a mutant and became significantly less interesting.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #16
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Xever from the 2012 series, we don't get a lot of characters with different martial arts funny enough and his Caporia was always a blast to see. Too bad he got turned into a mutant and became significantly less interesting.
I feel like if they would have mutated him into something other than a fish his character would have been interesting still. But they did that to a lot of interesting characters in that series unfortunately. One of the few gripes I have with that show.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
Torterra
Foot Soldier

Another underrated character for me is Mondo Gecko from the 2012 series. I mean I get he's the butt of the joke most of time. But after awhile I feel like they could have him made into a badass character like his IDW counterpart. I mean he's on a team with a mutant turtle who can be just as stealthy and dangerous as the rest of turtles and your telling me Mondo never asked Slash to train him into being the team's spy and scout. He's pretty the perfect animal for that and would have been a better scout than Pigeon Pete ever was in the series.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote