The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm a big fan of both properties, too - when they're done well, at least, which most of the time neither brand can really brag about. But that doesn't mean that objectively (which essentially means "Free from all personal bias"; I know some FW fans really struggle with the Big Words) it isn't a really lame idea in the Here and Now. I know FW fans, especially, couldn't remove their personal biases if they had a gun to their head, but still.

Make no mistake, I would've been all over this in 1993. Like I probably would've literally jumped for joy. It was a Good Idea then, it's a "Meh" idea now - these brands aren't even all that popular anymore, it reeks of desperation since IDW's sales are struggling. If they do it, they do it, it's their label and their business, so it's fine; money's money and lord knows there's way dumber things to cross-over that have already been done. But for f*ck's sake, someone needs to pour concrete over the hole that FW TMNT is buried in so people can stop trying to defile its corpse. It's over. It's been over for 25 years, for God's sake.

The ONLY thing worse than using FW TMNT for this sort of project 25 years after they had a funeral for it, would be if they used the "Rise" or Platinum Dunes variants. Because at least FW TMNT wasn't the dirt-worst version of the brand that's ever been done, and it's a coin toss between those other two. But Jesus, it's dead. So many FW fans feel like the kind of people who'd keep their dead girlfriend in the freezer until the smell tipped off the neighbors, just because they can't move on. They make me wish that damn cartoon never even happened, just so they'd stop trying to insist that everything needs to be That Show, 30 goddamn years later. 30 years! Move on! Jesus! It was never even that good!

Also, though, aside from that nonsense, if the comic cross-over were to happen, given that it's IDW's project, they'd obviously use their own version of the TMNT and Sonic characters for it. A-duuhhhhhhh. That'd be like me saying "Gosh, I really hope IDW uses the Archie Sonic characters for this!" even though that's absolutely not gonna happen. C'mon. Here we go tryin'a f*ck unicorns again. Don't obsess over the impossible. It's unseemly.
-------------

Point of fact, in 2005 or so I once did a furniture move for someone who turned out to be the daughter of someone who wrote or edited for Archie back in the 90s. Name escapes me and I forget how it even came up in conversation, I think I probably mentioned I collected comic books and she was like "Really? My Dad's name is _______ (honestly can't remember)." She said her Dad was really open to getting fan mail so she gave me an email address to write to him if I was inclined, so I said sure. I did email them a couple of times, then lost the address, but one of the things I did ask them was if a TMNT/Sonic cross-over was ever discussed at Archie back in the day, since it seemingly made so much sense on paper. And if it was discussed, why it never happened.

The gist of the answer I got was, It came up a couple of times and was casually tossed around, but there didn't seem to be any good storyline that would justify it. So it was never seriously pursued in any way. There just didn't seem to be a Good Reason to do it. So they didn't.

Both books were always "thisclose" to being cancelled at that time, anyway, so maybe they just didn't wanna spend any money, but one would THINK that even if it was a bad story - which it didn't necessarily have to be, I think they could have come up with at least an "acceptable" one - then it would have sold well just because the TMNT and Sonic logos were on the cover. It almost certainly would have sold well and made money for the company at a time when they really needed that. But they didn't do it. "No good story there." They didn't even half-ass it just to sit back and collect some easy money, which anyone could have forgiven them for doing. That tells me a lot.

Now, the fact that Archie didn't do a Sonic/TMNT cross-over, but DID deign to do a really awful Image Comics cross-over instead, does imply that maybe some of those people in The Office were on crack. And the Archie Sonic book was sometimes very bad, itself (although at the time TMNTA was still in print, the Sonic book hadn't gotten bad at all yet, and was probably at its peak). I have 99.9% of it going back to issue #0, which I bought off the rack at a 7-11 the day it came out aaaaalllll those years ago, so I can pick on it if I feel like. Doesn't make me "not a fan", it just means I can read. But anyways, between both of those things - They printed a terrible Image cross-over AND Sonic's book was a mixed bag at best - one could allow for the idea that maybe the people in charge of making decisions at Archie weren't very bright. And that maybe they could have forced a TMNT/Sonic cross-over to work, if the right people were making the decisions. Or MAYBE they should have just done a cheap-o cash grab mini-series and taken the easy money. People would have forgiven it, certainly.

It still jumps out at me, though, that despite it being such an obvious idea, "We couldn't come up with a story that wasn't dumb" is why it never actually happened.

If it couldn't be forced to work in the early-90s when both brands were hot, I don't see how it would play as anything but fan-fiction wankery in 2020 when they're both "cold" and have seen much better days.

I know a lot of TMNT fans are perfectly fine with fan-fiction wankery, but that ain't a good thing and they're not allowed to speak for everyone.

I know, I know, "Anything to get more Talkin' Critters on the page". Jesus, just read Furrlough. Like seriously, if that's all anyone reads TMNT for is to tickle their anthro fetish, there's other books that'll scratch that itch much better and then everyone else can have, y'know, GOOD stories.

I mean, no, it's definitely not the WORST idea to cross them over, and I'm not saying it is. It's just maybe the dumbest time in the history of either brand to even push it. I mean, I get it, IDW's sales are in trouble and they need a Hail Mary. But when you're scrambling for ideas that even a notoriously shoddy publisher like Archie rejected for being too silly, well... there's no way it comes off as anything but total desperation.

I'unno. I'd probably buy it, anyway, just because I'm an asshole. But I'd definitely hold my nose while doing so.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #22
funatic
Mad Scientist

This topic was actually touched on briefly in the IDW 2020 panel at Comic-Con today. They basically said in the realm of crazy crossovers they've considered it sounds like one of the saner ones. Take that as you will.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
But Jesus, it's dead. So many FW fans feel like the kind of people who'd keep their dead girlfriend in the freezer until the smell tipped off the neighbors, just because they can't move on. They make me wish that damn cartoon never even happened, just so they'd stop trying to insist that everything needs to be That Show, 30 goddamn years later. 30 years! Move on! Jesus! It was never even that good!
lol... that's a unique way to put that. I agree.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #24
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
This topic was actually touched on briefly in the IDW 2020 panel at Comic-Con today. They basically said in the realm of crazy crossovers they've considered it sounds like one of the saner ones. Take that as you will.
So its possible that they could do it someday.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:08 PM   #25
rayfillet101
Mad Scientist

Did anyone see that Sonic and turtles crossover piece someone did last year? I think I saw it on facebook or twitter. I really liked the Batman-Turtles Adventures crossover. The main Batman-Turtles crossovers were hit or miss. The Power Rangers one really bored me. And, the Ghostbusters ones I had to get cuz it was part of continuity. I wouldnt mind this, Sonic was my first comic back in the day, Turtles was the second one I collected. Edit:had the image on my phone still, anyone know the original artist?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0f28834f9a3165ca894429d3240ee931.jpg (111.8 KB, 17 views)

"When you scream my name, pleading for the pain to stop, you may call me...Bishop."
rayfillet101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:56 PM   #26
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Somehow I can't help but imagine the possibility that one of those crossover ideas would involve the Turtles getting their butts kicked single-handedly by Mr. Satan while the rest of the Z Fighters watch... (Was gonna say Videl at first but that felt like overkill.)
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:58 AM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Too bad they don't have the rights to the older Sonic cartoons. Can you imagine 80's Shredder and AOSTH Dr Robotnik having to deal with Bebop, Rocksteady, Scratch and Grounder?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:12 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Too bad they don't have the rights to the older Sonic cartoons. Can you imagine 80's Shredder and AOSTH Dr Robotnik having to deal with Bebop, Rocksteady, Scratch and Grounder?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #29
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
"What if we focused on the annoying cartoon OCs meeting the annoying cartoon OCs?"

Yeah, no thanks. I don't really care if a TMNT/Sonic crossover happens in general but I sure as hell know I don't want that angle.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Can you imagine 80's Shredder and AOSTH Dr Robotnik having to deal with Bebop, Rocksteady, Scratch and Grounder?
Now that you mention it........

It's fine. After watching that Mets fiasco last night my will to live was sucked dry, anyway.

I want a fancy funeral with lots of hookers.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #31
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Might've been interesting in 1993. Pointless now. All the good Sonic characters were excised when the Archie book ended, although to be fair the numerous reboots after the Penders fiasco had already pretty much ruined it.
I stopped reading Archie Sonic way before the end, but Tangle and Whisper, I feel, are better than really any of the Archie Sonic characters I remember.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

I neither know those names nor care to know.

The only take on Sonic with a "plot" worth piss I ever saw in my life was the SatAM/Archie story, and even that was inconsistent at best. Everything else was one-dimensional as f*ck and so lame they needn't have bothered trying to come up with a storyline.

Which is what happens when you take a game whose "story" is: "Run to the right, occasionally jump." You try and apply depth and meaning where none exists and come up with nothing. Games' "stories" were trash, all the other cartoons' stories were trash. Archie/SatAM wins the crown by default, for not being consistently AS trash as everything else.

I like the games just fine, by the way. I just laugh whenever Sonic fans would be like, "I wish the comics and cartoons were more like the story in the games." WHAT f*cking story? Are you goddamn kidding me?

So yeah, I'unno. I'm assuming those names belong to IDW Sonic characters, but I haven't and am not going to read it. So... whatever. I invested 30 years of my life into one Sonic comic and nothing I liked about it is ever gonna show up again anywhere else; I'm way Too Old to start making new friends at my age. It's whatever. It might be brilliant; I'm just not inclined to find out. Urgency Level Zero.

Your comment also implies that Sally WASN'T the best character in the entire Sonic universe, and that's a provable goddamn lie. Should'a been HER name on the damn book; she was the only character who wasn't consistently a f*cking idiot.