The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 06-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #141
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Though there is also this from their FB page. So with any luck maybe they'll find a way to stick around or come back in some way.

I saw that. I wonder just how things will be if they ever do come back in some capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisardo View Post
Sad isn't it? Admittedly I do shop online for some things, and I can see the convenience of having it delivered to your door, but sometimes it's easier to just go into a store and physically 'see' everything to make a decision on what you want to buy. Sometimes you'll see unexpected sales in a physical store, which aren't always as obvious online. Also, it's less rewarding to sit and wait for a delivery. With clothing, I HAVE to try them on first, esp. if they are fits, brands, and styles I'm not familiar with (and I'm a weird fit in general).

But Toys R'Us closing is indeed sad, because for some of us on this forum, it's like the end of our childhood memories, Some of us bought our first NES games in those stores in the '80s, and memorable action figures from cartoons and movies. But deep down, we'll all forever be Toys R'Us kids!
My first console was definitely the NES, but I didn't get it from TRU, but Super Mario Bros. 3 was the first video game I ever got from there. The only consoles I ever got from TRU are the original GBA (okay, not really a console), PS2, and the Wii. I could have gotten a GameCube from them, but when I was ready to get it, all they had were the purple ones. I didn't want one until Star Fox Adventures came out, and I reserved it at the store there. So I just got the game there and got a black GameCube from another store nearby. I'd get video games from there sometimes, but I mostly got them from Best Buy or GameStop.

The only toys I remember getting from TRU are a Black Lion from Voltron and two Silverhawks action figures on black Friday in 1987. I might have gotten a board game from there too. When I got older, I'd mostly go to TRU to look at mostly Power Rangers toys.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:27 AM   #142
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
That sucks for the business. They rely on that stuff. The thing is, people have always hated commercials, but there was no way around them. Now, with the growth of streaming, they're going to have to come up with other ways to adjust.

Parents are probably thrilled, though. I've heard many a tale of peoples parents getting annoyed and snipping about the "glorified toy commercials" we watched. Which... I mean, some old cartoons really were not much more than that.
That's what we usually say, but actually it isn't that easy.

People hate when commercial breaks interupt in the middle of TV programmes but what they hate even more is advertising for things they aren't interested in.

As a child, you probably didn't dislike commercial breaks that much. It's content was relevant to you (action figures, home video with your favourite films and series, videogames). However, if you as a child watched advertising for adult products, you would die from boredom.

I understand parents hated children's advertising. But actually there are reality TV series about department stores or shopping malls (interviewing the people shopping there) who in practice do nothing else than promote department stores or shopping malls .
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:36 AM   #143
Vegita-San
Emperor

i wonder if anyone found any gems that where unsold left buried in old stock.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #144
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post

I understand parents hated children's advertising. But actually there are reality TV series about department stores or shopping malls (interviewing the people shopping there) who in practice do nothing else than promote department stores or shopping malls .
What shows would those be?
Old 07-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #145
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
What shows would those be?
There's one in Sweden. I take it for granted other countries have similair programmes.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #146
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
i wonder if anyone found any gems that where unsold left buried in old stock.
I picked up a awesome Gohan Statue
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #147
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
There's one in Sweden. I take it for granted other countries have similair programmes.
Well all right. I don't know of any shows like that here in the US.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:33 AM   #148
Klunk1234
Hench Mutant

It sad for them, but they were facing many problems. The internet retailers like Amazon are probably the cause of the their closing.
Klunk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:26 AM   #149
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klunk1234 View Post
It sad for them, but they were facing many problems. The internet retailers like Amazon are probably the cause of the their closing.
no, it's due to bad business practice from the company that bought TRU back in 2005.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #150
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Amazon and internet shopping in general play some role to an extent of course, and it's not even just bad inside business choices, but a far larger part of it is these financial game playing bloodsuckers that buy up these companies and bleed them dry for their own gain. They don't care a lick if it kills a company.

Quote:
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...put-ncna876536

The superstore’s fall from grace is the result of a decade of disastrous management by the Wall Street firms that purchased the company and saddled it with billions of dollars of debt.

Meanwhile, the private equity barons who bought the company in 2005 have reaped hundreds of millions in extracted profits, and top executives are leaving with $16 million in golden parachutes.

Smith’s story is a potent reminder of the human cost that Wall Street vulture capitalists inflict on working class people in their seemingly never-ending pursuit of profit.

And this isn’t just a problem for Toy R Us. Across the country private equity and hedge fund managers are taking advantage of retail workers to bolster their profits without regard for the middle class communities that they are destroying. In the process, these bankers are perpetuating a vicious cycle in which the rich get richer at the expense of working people.

According to Fortune, the retailer generated $11.5 billion in sales in 2016, yet the once-profitable Toys R Us has been losing money, burdened by crippling long-term debt payments of more than $400 million to service its crushing $5.2 billion debt pile. This debt is a legacy of a 2005 leveraged buyout by Bain Capital, KKR and Vornado Realty Trust, some of the most high-profile— and, for labor activists, predatory — private equity firms in the U.S.

Fund managers don’t seem to care much about the families they are endangering — perhaps not surprising given their profits over the last decade.

Thus, it seems clear that this problem will never be solved without outside pressure. “This is what happens when you have a system that allows private equity firms to destroy profitable businesses and throw workers out on the streets with no severance,” Sanders told the Toys R Us workers.

Sanders is right that this is a systemic problem. Now more than ever, Wall Street fund managers are using dangerous highly leveraged buyouts to loot retail businesses. Like vultures, they scavenge on struggling companies, and then dump the remains into bankruptcy court before moving on to their next victim.
What killed TRU is essentially the same thing that is happening to my former employer, Sears - who will more than likely die too and already is little by little - and I was rather unsurprised that TRU is a similar story. I doubt these two companies are alone and it's disgusting that this is even allowed to happen.

Spoiler:
The story with Sears as an example... the CEO is a hedge fund guy. Didn't know squat about retail before buying Sears. He/they invest next to nothing in the company and the loans Sears has gotten to try to stay afloat have come straight from him, building up debt and then when that needs to try to be paid back, to the company's own owner no less, that of course comes with interest to be paid to him as well. More and more stores are being closed, most of those remaining seem to be properties that the company actually owns (rather than rents)... and when those get sold eventually, all those profits will also go right to him, too.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #151
Vegita-San
Emperor

hedge fund people are the worst.

convinced les moonves to sell cbs radio to entercom and now it's just another by the numbers corporate operation that I doubt will last more than ten years. all those mega radio corps go bankrupt.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote