The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #361
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Picked this up the other day and watched it last night. Wow. Gotta say, I like DC' animated movies better than their live action ones lately. THIS is the Joker I WISH we could see in a LA movie! He was brutal, sadistic, twisted, sick and ruthless, but he still knew how to have fun and have a wicked sense of humor. Why can't he be more like this in the DCEU? Ledger was nothing like this. THIS was the Joker I've always imagined. Hammil's still got it. And I don't see why abyone is complaining about the prelude or the Bat-sex scene. I thought both added to the plot with Bruce and Barbara. It made sense for what came later. And although the ebding was abrupt, it felt kind of cathartic to see them sharing a laugh at the end, although now that I think about it, Bats was the only one laughing after the fade. Hmm ....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #362
CyberCubed
Overlord

Batman screwing Barbara adds to another layer of why Batman had to save her at the end of defeat Joker, which wasn't in the original comic, because now its like, "Wow, Batman better get back at Joker for what he did to his booty call."

Its really just Bruce Timm's fantasy and using Batman as his self-insert character in having a 30+ year old man have sex with a young 20 year old girl.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #363
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Its really just Bruce Timm's fantasy and using Batman as his self-insert character in having a 30+ year old man have sex with a young 20 year old girl.
It's really just Cubed's way of expressing his frustrations that he's in his 30's, and can't land a 20 year old anymore.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #364
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Picked this up the other day and watched it last night. Wow. Gotta say, I like DC' animated movies better than their live action ones lately. THIS is the Joker I WISH we could see in a LA movie! He was brutal, sadistic, twisted, sick and ruthless, but he still knew how to have fun and have a wicked sense of humor. Why can't he be more like this in the DCEU? Ledger was nothing like this. THIS was the Joker I've always imagined. Hammil's still got it. And I don't see why abyone is complaining about the prelude or the Bat-sex scene. I thought both added to the plot with Bruce and Barbara. It made sense for what came later. And although the ebding was abrupt, it felt kind of cathartic to see them sharing a laugh at the end, although now that I think about it, Bats was the only one laughing after the fade. Hmm ....
Heath Ledger's Joker slammed a guys face down onto the table killing him with a pencil through the eye, cracks a joke about it. And then insults a mob boss with a Mother Joke how is that not sadistic or comical???? Sorry thats just my inner fanboy defending Ledger's Joker.

But I agree with you Mark Hamil nailed it and this joker was done extremely well.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #365
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
It's really just Cubed's way of expressing his frustrations that he's in his 30's, and can't land a 20 year old anymore.
... Anymore?
Old 08-06-2016, 11:59 PM   #366
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Watched this tonight. I thought it all came together well. Maybe there should have been something between to bridge the two halves together.

Taken in context, the Bruce/Babs stuff was nowhere near as problematic as it seemed before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:49 AM   #367
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
... Anymore?
I didn't want to be cruel...

I wonder why Cubed repeats himself so often?
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #368
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Spoilery thoughts about a theme in the movie.

Spoiler:
There is great contrast between the Batman/Joker conflict and the Batgirl/Franz conflict. Franz has ths psychology necessary to become someone like the Joker, but has not experienced the personal tragedies necessary to complete that transformation. Barbara is a formidable detective, martial artist, and crime fighter, even though she doesn't have the commitment that Batman has.

Did anyone think the scene with the prostitutes Batman interviewed was an attempt to imply Joker was gay for Batman or vice versa?

The only Batgirl moment that seemed completely out of character was when she physically assaulted that guy who was arguing with his girlfriend. I'd imagine Azzarello probably put it in, but I am not certain.

Quote:
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #369
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Heath Ledger's Joker slammed a guys face down onto the table killing him with a pencil through the eye, cracks a joke about it. And then insults a mob boss with a Mother Joke how is that not sadistic or comical???? Sorry thats just my inner fanboy defending Ledger's Joker.

But I agree with you Mark Hamil nailed it and this joker was done extremely well.
I'm not saying Heath's Joker wasn't sadistic, but comical? Sorry but no. Asking someone why they are being so serious while calmly cutting one's own face misses the mark by a MILE. And his "jokes" weren't even funny- just sick. He missed the point of Joker's entire personality. For one thing, Joker is a narcissist- he values his own self-image too much to ever mutilate himself that way. Also, that's not sadism, it's the opposite. It is masochism. Joker enjoys the auffering of OTHERS, but has a strong aversion to suffering himself. Watch him anytime Bats starts to get physical, and what do you see? He flinches away in fear, and tries to shield his face. Think about that. He values his own image so much that it is the thing he most wants to protect. A poison in the cosmetic supply that makes people "die laughing" is twisted but funny. A pencil in the eye isn't. Acid-spitting flowers and joy buzzers frying someone are cheap gags but they have a warped humor to them, being extreme versions of classic pranks. Ledger went too far into morbid and disturbed. That's not who Joker is; he is, above all, the "Clown Prince of Crime". That implies actually having a sense of humor. Hammil strikes the perfect balance of humorous and depraved.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #370
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Seen clips of it... I'll watch the whole thing someday. Kinda didn't like how they totally ruined Joker's infamous dialogue at the end. They cut parts from it, they threw in a random fight scene near the end of it forcing the Joker to rush through it. It was just all wrong... which is a shame because other than Joker shooting Babs, Joker's speech at the end finally being animated and being word for word was the whole point of even bothering to making an animated version of this in the first place. They bring in Mark Hamill only to ruin the speech?

I was already worried when I heard the voice over "WHY AREN'T YOU LAUGHING??!!" during one of the trailers.... when Joker really wasn't screaming in the comic when he said it. It's odd that a Hamill impersonator did a better job reading the speech from the comic than Hamill himself, though to be fair Mark did nothing wrong, that's the direction they told him to go with.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #371
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post

Spoiler:
Did anyone think the scene with the prostitutes Batman interviewed was an attempt to imply Joker was gay for Batman or vice versa?
Spoiler:

A theme as old as time
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #372
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I didn't think so. I thought they were trying to imply that the 'other girl' he found was Barbara Gordon.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:41 PM   #373
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Someone I was talking to brought up an interesting point--the Bruce/Babs scene is pretty tame compared to the main comic canon's implication that Talia
Spoiler:
drugged and raped Batman to get Damian.

In that scene from TKJ

Spoiler:
Barbara was clearly the one in control. She kind of dominated him, physically, anyway. What was puzzling to me was probably the way she acted afterwards rather than the situation itself.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #374
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #375
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

So I got around to skimming through the film today... some of the animation is downright horrible by any standard. Did they blow their budget on Hamill or something? Did WB not want to risk big bucks on an R-rated animated feature?
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #376
ToTheNines
[sic]

WB doesn't want to risk their small bucks on ****.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #377
Electric
Epic Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I'm not saying Heath's Joker wasn't sadistic, but comical? Sorry but no. Asking someone why they are being so serious while calmly cutting one's own face misses the mark by a MILE. And his "jokes" weren't even funny- just sick. He missed the point of Joker's entire personality. For one thing, Joker is a narcissist- he values his own self-image too much to ever mutilate himself that way. Also, that's not sadism, it's the opposite. It is masochism. Joker enjoys the auffering of OTHERS, but has a strong aversion to suffering himself. Watch him anytime Bats starts to get physical, and what do you see? He flinches away in fear, and tries to shield his face. Think about that. He values his own image so much that it is the thing he most wants to protect. A poison in the cosmetic supply that makes people "die laughing" is twisted but funny. A pencil in the eye isn't. Acid-spitting flowers and joy buzzers frying someone are cheap gags but they have a warped humor to them, being extreme versions of classic pranks. Ledger went too far into morbid and disturbed. That's not who Joker is; he is, above all, the "Clown Prince of Crime". That implies actually having a sense of humor. Hammil strikes the perfect balance of humorous and depraved.
Wonderful explanation.

Ledger nailed his role as Joker, but that was a darker, more grim, less humorous Joker. take off the make up, the purple clothes and the smile, and he would barely be similar to the most common, well-known form of Joker. His actions, dialogue and manneurisms are perfect for that film, but they are not that of what is traditionally Joker.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #378
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Exactly. The Joker is someone who enjoys hamming it up almost as much as playing twisted games with Batman or killing people for the heck of it. This is a guy who would try to kill someone for stealing his schtick, or dump a guy in a tank of sharks just because it's clichee but viscious. And he'd do it all with a grin and a maniacal laugh because he appreciates the dark ironies and morbid cruelty of life- to him life itself is the ultimate joke and death is the punchline. Who else would "fire" a subordinate with a high-voltage joy buzzer or just shoot a random person for no reason and laugh about it? Heck, he even dehydrated the world peace council (with coconspirators) for ransom in one version, and didn't bat an eye. He's nuts, but in a very devil-may-care fashion. He gets off on watching people squirm (or scream) but he also can't resist a good joke or prank. It's what an evil Mikey might be like......

Old 08-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #379
Coola Yagami
Overlord

For the life of me I can't remember if James Gordon was there when Joker shot Babs in the comic. I could have sworn she was in the apartment alone.

The movie was.... weird. That first half was just way too long and made me think I rented the wrong movie and got some new animated Batgirl movie by mistake. When it finally came to the Killing Joke parts it just felt so disjointed, it made the entire first half feel like a waste of time, as if it didn't even happen. The movie just violently shifts to Batgirl's love problems and some dude trying to take over his uncle's criminal empire... to Batman discussing his relationship to the Joker. I know the real world reason for it, but in universe it's just weird and wonky. You don't spend a huge chunk of a movie having Batman try to stop Two-Face to suddenly make it about Catwoman without anything connecting the two stories together.

I don't know. I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would have. And I still feel the final Joker monologue, the whole friggin point of even animating this, was ruined by trimming it down and interrupting it with a fight scene. Even when the trailer showed the voice over of 'WHY AREN'T YOU LAUGHING???!!!' I thought to myself 'but... he wasn't yelling in the comic...'.

In the comic, Babs got shot and that was that for her. I don't think they ever mentioned 'Batgirl' in the whole story. It was about Batman, Gordon and the Joker and Babs was just the casualty that set the events into motion. I understand they wanted to add padding and also kinda make Batgirl more sympathetic to the audience. All they needed to do was have her beat some bad guys, while showing her skills and how happy she is to be so agile, have her come home and take off her mask so we see who she is, maybe talk to her dad to remind us of their connection, and then shoot her and start the story proper. That's all they really needed to do, and they botched it horribly.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:42 PM   #380
CyberCubed
Overlord

I know this story was written like 30 years ago, but if Joker paralyzed and nearly killed Batgirl, why on earth would Batman not borderline snap Joker's neck?

I don't like Batman laughing with Joker at all. Its completely out of character. And while I know the ending is ambiguous, the fact that Batman didn't beat the hell out of him first is bizarre.

On another note, how do people feel about Joker's origin story here? I honestly never liked this one much, I always prefered Joker to be a regular criminal/bank robber from the start.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubedthevirgin, eatmyasscubed