The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-09-2023, 06:45 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Congress of Brazil stormed

Yesterday, supporters of Jair Bolsonaro stormed the Congress of Brazil, claiming the Brazilian president election in October 2022 was unfair. Jair Bolsonaro was the President of Brazil from January 2019, but lost the election and was succeeded by Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva on 1 January 2023.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:03 AM   #2
ChosenOne
Banned

I guess normal people aren't okay with having a convicted felon in charge. Who knew?

Faz o L de ladrão!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:08 PM   #3
Galactus
Foot Elite

I remember when Lula's convictions were overturned they were talking about having a retrial but doing it fairly...but he was never retried seemingly because there wasn't sufficient evidence against him. I would like to think that the majority who voted for him as president were normal. I certainly don't storming the capital because some wannabe dictator (and that's what Bolsonaro was) lost an election is particularly normal behavior. Is this going to be a thing now every time one of these far right guys loses?
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:26 PM   #4
ChosenOne
Banned

Have a retrial over and over until things go your way? That's... an interesting notion, to put it mildly. Certainly in line with leftist ideals. The guy was sprung out of jail by his sympathizers on the Supreme Court and carried all the way to Planalto, where he was promptly congratulated by Putin and Xi. A corrupt con man who pocketed millions from the government and the Brazilian people. He's everything you think Bolsonaro and Trump are, but the conditioning's just too strong for those blinders to ever be lifted. Carry on believing.

And yeah, this sort of thing might well hang like a sword of Damocles over the heads of governments worldwide forever, lest they forget that they derive their power from the consent of the people and not the other way around. Can't praise protests in China, Russia or Iran, or even the 2020 riots, and then slam those in favor of something one dislikes. That's just hypocritical. The people can, must and do have a right to make their will known at all times.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:22 PM   #5
Galactus
Foot Elite

I'd like to think the concept that everyone is entitled to a fair a trial is universal and the Lula's trial was found to be unfair. As I pointed out it when he conviction was annulled his detractors spoke about him being trialed but keeping everything above board this time but it didn't happen. I'm guessing his opponents felt it wasn't worth the embarrassment of him being found not guilty.

Also there is a huge difference between pro democracy, anti war protests or protesting the unfair treatment of women then actual violent insurrections designed to overturn the results of an election.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 12:05 AM   #6
ChosenOne
Banned

It wasn't "unfair", just thrown out long after the fact on a technicality based on the jurisdiction of the court that convicted him. The evidence still held up and he still was convicted nonetheless, and did jail time, which would preclude him for running for the office of president if his sponsors in the supreme court hadn't stepped in. Any process where the courts carry a felon to a seat of power for their convenience does not belong in the same sentence as the word "fair".

Yes, the huge difference is your say-so and the labels you apply to each case. I am sadly familiar with that line of thinking.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:36 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My only comment in this is how the leftist media is immediately spinning this everywhere as "This is exactly what happened on January 6th here in the US!" Both in how stupid that is on every discernible level and how ignorant is about how often this has happened in Brazil.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:55 AM   #8
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My only comment in this is how the leftist media is immediately spinning this everywhere as "This is exactly what happened on January 6th here in the US!" Both in how stupid that is on every discernible level and how ignorant is about how often this has happened in Brazil.
Yep, I've expected this. Despite two situations having almost nothing in common in either how and why they had happened.

But what can you expect from retards who gleefully compare January 6 to 9/11.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote