The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you like black April?
I liked it or was fine with April being black 38 52.05%
No, I disliked it and she didn't feel like April to me 35 47.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2020, 06:40 AM   #41
oldmanwinters
Overlord

To answer the OP's thread question: Rise April held a variety of jobs throughout the show... Pizza parlor host, babysitter, shoe salesperson, the list goes on and on, really...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #42
miru
Mad Scientist

I was "meh" on this choice. I see the reason why they did it though, but she didn't really catch on with me in any way.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:53 PM   #43
sdp
Megan Fox = April

She's not black, just super tanned, it's still the white april we know and love. Just like this model is white:

Casey Jones is trans so technically still male and Leo becomes the leader. Rise is just another traditional TMNT with no real changes.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:50 PM   #44
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Although I didn't mind April being black, I did think that it was poorly executed.

Did the showrunners ever hire any writers/storyboard artists who happen(ed) to be people of color?
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:10 AM   #45
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Her race wasn't the problem.

I didn't like her characterization. Even if they had made her a carbon copy of the typical April (red hair, pale, blue eyed, etc), I would've still found her very one note and unfunny. I also didn't like how they often propped her up to make her look 'cooler' than the TMNT (in the Baxter Stockboy ep, for example, Leo and Mikey are terrified of the ghost but she's all "WHOO HOO" about it...ugh).
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #46
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It is kinda disappointing, I would have been cool with a black April or a dark-skinned April in general, as long as she was likeable and had a fun personality and some dynamic with the Turtles.

This April did not. I mean I don't even want to call her April because she might as well been anyone else in name-only. They could have called her Lydia and nobody would know the difference.
It's not often that I agree with this person, but this post kinda nailed my feelings.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #47
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Her skin color is not an issue for me, I like this April, her energy, the actress that give her voice, I am coool with all that
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:16 PM   #48
M.O.D.O.K.
Thug

She's not my favorite April, but I did like her more than in 2012, at least.
M.O.D.O.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:12 AM   #49
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Her race wasn't the problem.

I didn't like her characterization. Even if they had made her a carbon copy of the typical April (red hair, pale, blue eyed, etc), I would've still found her very one note and unfunny. I also didn't like how they often propped her up to make her look 'cooler' than the TMNT (in the Baxter Stockboy ep, for example, Leo and Mikey are terrified of the ghost but she's all "WHOO HOO" about it...ugh).
Heck, even her character wasn't the problem. It was the Turtles that I didn't like. I just could not connect to any of them, and she didn't make things better, whether she was Black, White or Asian. The April I know is the one that is caring and supportive of the Turtles. If they wanted someone to fight with that was a friend, that was Casey Jones job! Heck, even Irma could come in and do that job. But April is supposed to be the one rock or big sister that they could look up to. Nothing more obnoxious than a big sister that is bullish.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:28 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

It doesn't work at all.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:00 PM   #51
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

She worked perfectly fine. In the context of a show that wanted to be obnoxious on all fronts and succeeded...

Feel like that show could have been better off with her as a big sister type adult April (no matter her skin tone), rather than a teen peer, to be a counterweight to all the craziness going on, the part of the Turtles' lives that keeps them grounded and a place to turn to.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:21 PM   #52
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

One of the best takes on April for sure. In the context of the show she was perfect, funny, and her evolution throughout the show was done well.

2012 April was an abomination, back story was a mess and giving her access to the force made her the most frustrating plot device.
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:54 PM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

The difference is 2012 April actually had a personality, chemistry with the Turtles and was generally likeable. Her psychic powers didn't really kick in till halfway into the show, and even then they were only the focus point of a few episodes, and she barely saved the day in others and was usually knocked to the side as the Turtles came through.
Old 03-28-2023, 01:37 PM   #54
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drose18 View Post
One of the best takes on April for sure. In the context of the show she was perfect, funny, and her evolution throughout the show was done well.

2012 April was an abomination, back story was a mess and giving her access to the force made her the most frustrating plot device.
They both were bad.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:48 AM   #55
Barkworm
Super Moderator

I've only seen "Rise" (which I thought was really good) and the character is pretty annoying, just overall obnoxious. In this particular case the race-swapping is part of the problem because they made her a stereotypical "sassy black girl".
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:57 AM   #56
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

I'm curious if one of April's incarnation will be turtle's aunt or granny in future new series.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:10 PM   #57
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLabRat View Post
I'm curious if one of April's incarnation will be turtle's aunt or granny in future new series.
Well, she’s a granny in The Last Ronin Lost Years
Old 04-15-2023, 11:29 AM   #58
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Did black April work? I think she had several jobs in Rise didn't she? She worked plenty.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 04:58 AM   #59
Wolfie65
Foot Soldier

About as well as Dolph Lundgren playing Malcolm X.
Wolfie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 04:35 PM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

Now we have two black April's, and the second is a middle age fat woman.

Tags
april o'neil