The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-04-2023, 11:44 AM   #1
oldmanwinters
Overlord

MMPR/TMNT II #5 Discussion

I couldn't find an existing thread for issues #4 or 5, but anybody have thoughts on the conclusion to this saga?

Non-Spoiler Spoiler:
It ends on a cliffhanger, probably the same one you'd expect too.

Possible Spoilery Non-Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Casey and April get new Ranger outfits in the pre-cliffhanger epilogue, which is kinda a cliffhanger too.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 05-10-2023 at 11:05 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 12:02 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I read the whole 5 issues at once, I don't care about Power Rangers but it was a decent fun crossover, about on the same level as the first Batman crossover. The Power Rangers mutating into dinosaurs or whatever was pretty weird.

Shredder looked really cool in this. Seeing Casey betray the Turtles but not really was odd, and Krang and Shredder were enemies. No idea why they kept "General Krang" from IDW or Karai being related to Shredder when this isn't the IDW Turtles. Overall the art was pretty good.

Also the return of white Baxter Stockman in these two crossovers for the first time since the original cartoon. I can't believe white Baxter has appeared again in an official TMNT production, never thought I'd live to see the day.

Also i don't like how the Turtles human disguises/holograms were all black kids, that felt like...someone was making a statement. If just one Turtle had a black hologram disguise it would be fine, but all 4 of them?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 12:22 PM   #3
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I read the whole 5 issues at once, I don't care about Power Rangers but it was a decent fun crossover, about on the same level as the first Batman crossover. The Power Rangers mutating into dinosaurs or whatever was pretty weird.

Shredder looked really cool in this. Seeing Casey betray the Turtles but not really was odd, and Krang and Shredder were enemies. No idea why they kept "General Krang" from IDW or Karai being related to Shredder when this isn't the IDW Turtles. Overall the art was pretty good.

Also the return of white Baxter Stockman in these two crossovers for the first time since the original cartoon. I can't believe white Baxter has appeared again in an official TMNT production, never thought I'd live to see the day.

Also i don't like how the Turtles human disguises/holograms were all black kids, that felt like...someone was making a statement. If just one Turtle had a black hologram disguise it would be fine, but all 4 of them?
They should've all been Italian
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 06:15 PM   #4
Allio
Foot Elite

Power Rangers/Ninja Turtles 2 was… okay. I think it falls into the same issue that I find with most of Ryan’s writing. I just don’t think he is good with large scale events, he is just better with smaller ones.

Didn’t care much that most of the rogue gallery was mainly just used as canon fodder. And speaking of that, while the Mutant rangers were nice in concept they felt like a missed opportunity when, for the most part, was only used to clear out the cannon fodder of villains while the Turtles dealt with the actual crux of the story.

Speaking of crux of the story. Casey Jones while I find it stupid that they went with the “I’m your enemy, but not really” (same awful plots like the superhero Taisen films) but then it became redundant when they actually did have Casey become possessed in the end.

And then the two sets of Turtle ranger power sets. Look, I get it. I’m sure there is some kind of dopamine switch that’s activated when stuff like that happens, but I’m tired of Boom studios basically introducing new powers every three months. It doesn’t really allow room to breathe with what we are given.

Overall while the first crossover wasn’t really spectacular (I think it’s simple, but it did it well) I think it was a better crossover.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:06 AM   #5
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

I will destroy the turtles!
Old 05-15-2023, 09:26 AM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I've been a bit busy to comment on this one, but I loved this. A 90's kid dream team up done right with the definitive characters! The role reversals continue with ranger turtles and mutant rangers. In text acknowledgment of dragons being fictional yet Tommy can mutate into one and the ranger teens remain color coded. The Shredder again taking on the powers of the Green Ranger and questioned why Tommy would ever demorph and Tommy responding with a quip, but honest answer that one has to use the bathroom sometime. Splinter and Zordon were used effectively and further concepts like Metalhead as a zord was cool. It was self-aware and fun yet had consequence and the characters were strong throughout. What I liked is how it showed what would happen if Shredder and Krang's alliance was ended and how resourceful The Shredder truly is, something rarely seen especially in universes that favor the 1987 cartoon as this does. It finishes off with the tease of a third installment of a trilogy with The Shredder teaming up with Lord Zedd! My elementary aged self is jumping for joy at that prospect.

I do have one particular nitpick though, why the bananas added to the Dimension X Rangers? That just looks dumb and unnecessary. Also, is Casey Jones supposed to have had the power of a black ranger or what color? I ask because I thought red, but Raphael is that.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:03 AM   #7
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Also, is Casey Jones supposed to have had the power of a black ranger or what color? I ask because I thought red, but Raphael is that.
They could possibly both be red - Time Force had two red rangers but one was called the Quantum Ranger.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:30 AM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
They could possibly both be red - Time Force had two red rangers but one was called the Quantum Ranger.
Ah, I knew a ranger season or two had duplicate colors that was passed off as different shades,but I was not sure. I wonder if Casey Jones has slight amplified power compared to the others like how the Dragonzord is a megazord of its own or any extra accessories like the shield. A trend that followed with the While Mighty Morphin and Gold Zeo. Perhaps we will get official names in the pending third installment.

The shadow morphers that Billy and Don developed and Shredder seemed to have stolen was that a concept in Power Rangers Turbo or prior that I have forgotten or some later season or original to the crossover?