View Poll Results: Ya dig?
Yeah, that's great! 0 0%
No, that sucks. 11 73.33%
wtf?!?!? 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2023, 02:40 PM   #21
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

I mean...we know IDW is hurting. Any sales are more dollars in pocket and if they can do it with pre-created materials that haven't been in print in years for minimal $$?

I cant really blame them for putting them together. Except for the collections of them...those are just reaching.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:43 PM   #22
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
I mean...we know IDW is hurting. Any sales are more dollars in pocket and if they can do it with pre-created materials that haven't been in print in years for minimal $$?

I cant really blame them for putting them together. Except for the collections of them...those are just reaching.
Right, except couldn't they be a bit more… Selective?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:47 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
You know IDW is in financial trouble if they resort to reprinting old issues in hopes of making sales.
And reprints are just pure profit. It's not like if they reprint something they have to send a check to the writer/artist/letterer from 30 years ago.

This all seems so soulless to me, and that's what bothers me. You look at those lists of issues each one collects... these are not lists of issues that TMNT fans would come up with, certainly not for a "best of." Coupled with new cover "art" that looks to be drawn by someone who doesn't like the comic book industry. Like, who put these together, and who hired that cover artist? That's what I want to know. Whoever that person is, they're not someone who should be remotely close to TMNT.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:32 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

The thing is why are they not putting out a Vol. 4 collection or the rest of Tales instead? They never collected those series yet, instead they're rehashing old series.

IDW collected all of Vol. 1 (besides the few guest issues they couldn't get the rights for like "The River" and such), all of Vol. 2, all of Image, all of Tales V. 1, Bodycount, and most of Archie.

Weirdly they never put out a Vol. 4 collection, and of Tales V. 2 they only collected the first 25 issues (out of a 70 issue run), so it's not like they ran out of Mirage issues to reprint.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:20 PM   #25
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The thing is why are they not putting out a Vol. 4 collection or the rest of Tales instead? They never collected those series yet, instead they're rehashing old series.

IDW collected all of Vol. 1 (besides the few guest issues they couldn't get the rights for like "The River" and such), all of Vol. 2, all of Image, all of Tales V. 1, Bodycount, and most of Archie.

Weirdly they never put out a Vol. 4 collection, and of Tales V. 2 they only collected the first 25 issues (out of a 70 issue run), so it's not like they ran out of Mirage issues to reprint.
Volume 4 would be odd since it has no conclusion and they can't just make one like they did with Volume 3.

Tales Volume 2, there is zero excuse.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:04 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sales must have dropped out, and super bad -- that's the only explanation. Did they ever even get all the way through reprinting the Archies, too? If not, that's why there, too. It costs them nothing, just the cost of printing.

Too bad Dark Horse didn't get the license. We'd have great big, nice omnibuses made with quality by now and of everything.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-16-2023 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:05 PM   #27
IMJ
Emperor

Wow. Artwork and covers like that will definitely save IDW. I say they keep going for it....

Looks like something out of a state-sponsored anti-suicide pamphlet
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:12 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Tales V. 2 collections not selling well is a shame, if they continued those we'd have all 70 issues collected as now they're fairly old and hard to come by.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:25 PM   #29
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Sales must have dropped out, and super bad -- that's the only explanation. Did they ever even get all the way through reprinting the Archies, too? If not, that's why there, too. It costs them nothing, just the cost of printing.

Too bad Dark Horse didn't get the license. We'd have great big, nice quality omnibuses made with quality by now and of everything.
Maybe it'll happen once IDW goes bankrupt.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 10:20 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
Maybe it'll happen once IDW goes bankrupt.
Maybe. But Nick was only interested in a licensor who could also have material for little kids (hence the kids stuff at IDW beside the "main" book). I'm not sure that's Dark Horse.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:38 PM   #31
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Too bad Dark Horse didn't get the license. We'd have great big, nice quality omnibuses made with quality by now and of everything.
Damn, have me thinking about what some nice omnibus versions of what some of the series could look like

http://bootd.wordpress.com/

Last edited by HotJuicyBurgers; 05-16-2023 at 10:44 PM.
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:16 PM   #32
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Maybe. But Nick was only interested in a licensor who could also have material for little kids (hence the kids stuff at IDW beside the "main" book). I'm not sure that's Dark Horse.

True. It's ironic how once Laird sold the rights, the franchise became everything he hated. It's a shame he couldn't have sold them to someone better, but I guess he just wanted to go with whoever made him the highest offer.

I still hate seeing Nick's logo on everything TMNT related. I swear they label themselves on every damn side of it. Mirage never did that, and they were the original owner.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:21 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
True. It's ironic how once Laird sold the rights, the franchise became everything he hated.
He knew exactly what would happen. Everybody has their price, I guess.
Old 05-17-2023, 08:42 AM   #34
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
He knew exactly what would happen. Everybody has their price, I guess.
If he is tired of franchise, I can't blame him.
Though he could had trade for having a creative veto, just so we won't end up with **** like Bayturtles. Or at least not with those designs.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 08:54 AM   #35
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
If he is tired of franchise, I can't blame him.
Though he could had trade for having a creative veto, just so we won't end up with **** like Bayturtles. Or at least not with those designs.
I think the fact that he did negotiate an agreement that allowed him to keep making his own comics (if he wanted to) was fairly impressive from a legal-point-of-view where a huge corporation and franchise IP rights are involved.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:48 PM   #36
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Though he could had trade for having a creative veto
Not having to be creatively involved anymore is the reason he sold the Turtles in the first place.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 01:40 PM   #37
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotJuicyBurgers View Post
Damn, have me thinking about what some nice omnibus versions of what some of the series could look like
Yeah man I have been clamoring for years for an Archie Omnibus set. They could get 3 volumes out of that....

I remember a few years back though one of the IDW guys said there were no plans for that somewhere in a thread....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:09 PM   #38
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I think the fact that he did negotiate an agreement that allowed him to keep making his own comics (if he wanted to) was fairly impressive from a legal-point-of-view where a huge corporation and franchise IP rights are involved.
Yah I always thought this aspect was pretty insane.

Imagine if George Lucas had said, “Disney you may own Star Wars but every 3 years I’m allowed to do a movie that has nothing to do with anything you all are doing.”

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:43 PM   #39
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Not having to be creatively involved anymore is the reason he sold the Turtles in the first place.
Than its kind of weird he brokered for making his own comic books about TMNT he doesn't want to be involved with.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:42 AM   #40
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Well to make Cybercubed happy.... at least she didn't have nostrils.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
april o'neil