The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-14-2022, 06:15 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Marvel Lose Conan Licence

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/cona...marvel-comics/

Probably for the best, he just wasn't a good fit for the company
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:34 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Didn't even know they had it. I thought Dynamite was doing stuff with him.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

So they only renewed the license in 2019? That was a brief investment! Copyright law is a funny thing.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:46 AM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

So does that mean they also lost Red Sonja?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:18 PM   #5
Galactus
Foot Elite

Marvel re-acquiring the Conan license was a nice thought in 2019 since he was once so important to the company that the Hyborian Age was legit supposed to be Marvel's history and several characters and concepts from the classic book made their way to main Marvel books. The thing is I just don't see a Conan comic consistently selling enough for Marvel even by the low standards of today's monthly book sales.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:39 PM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Can I ask what the point of trying to get the Conan license even is? The character has been considered public domain in most of the world since 2007 along with all the REH writings and in the US the character will go public domain in six years from now.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:24 PM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Actually really surprised to hear this as they have been trying very hard to weave the character into 616 continuity for some time now. First through a Kang story and more recently in a continuation of that in Savage Avengers.

Noble attempt, but in truth Conan should just be his own thing. Busiek did Conan very well in his Dark Horse run.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:02 AM   #8
King Suck
Foot Soldier

Well this sucks. I was collecting the Conan the Barbarian and Savage Sword hardback omnibuses (as well as the other Howard/Marvel creations Soloman Kane and Kull omnibuses) that Marvel were doing as all my Darkhorse material is well read and incomplete.

The suits at team Disney choose not to renew the license even though they haven't completed compiling the old material in omnibus form. Folks on the R.E. Howard forums are saying Conan The Barbarian is scheduled to finish its run but Savage Sword of Conan will stop right in the middle and King Conan will only get 1 book (10-20 comics). What a huge **** you to everybody that has been collecting these since 2018.

Already canceled my King Conan preorder and it Looks like the resale market is pretty good for the Savage books so Ill at least make my money back selling them off. I don't need another incomplete series on the shelves.

The Conan US based copyright rights now go back to the company Heroic Signatures which got bought by the Chinese mega company Tencent last year.
King Suck is offline   Reply With Quote