The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think?
I like the idea of tmnt having superpowers and would be willing to give it a chance 2 10.00%
I'm not sure if I like the idea but I'm open to seeing it being done. 10 50.00%
I don't like the idea at all and don't think it should ever be done. 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Would you be ok with tmnt having superpowers?

What if there was a new incarnation of tmnt where the turtles mainly had the kind of superpowers commonplace in other media such as Marvel and DC, how would you react to it?

It would take me a bit of getting used to, as tmnt traditionally don't have superpowers (unless we count the toonforce of FW tmnt, the OVA or the dragon turtles in tmnt 2k3), but I am not totally against the idea and would be willing to give it a chance.

I think we might be getting this anyway in Rise of the Tmnt since they are said to have some sort of mystical powers in the show's sypnosis.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

It's not ideal, but as you pointed out, there's a precedent, so I'd get used to it eventually. Much easier to tolerate in a cartoon than a comic or movie, though.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'll be honest, I prefer their mutation to be the only real supernatural aspects in their stories.

Having said that, I'm more than willing to entertain the idea.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its already been done. A full series of this? No. But it's nice for short alternate universe stories.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'll be honest, I prefer their mutation to be the only real supernatural aspects in their stories.
Wouldn't their mutation strictly be a scientific idea rather than supernatural in the lore of their universe?
Old 12-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Temporarily, sure. As a whole series...? Not a fan.

Prefer the more relatable angle that beneath the green they're much like every other earthbound mortal person who works hard for all that they have and are capable of, sans superpowers.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Wouldn't their mutation strictly be a scientific idea rather than supernatural in the lore of their universe?
Even as science fiction it's still too fantastical for my liking.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'm open to the turtles having superpowers but I feel it would compromise their stealth.

Of course they could go the Clark Kent route, but then the turtles were never the types to fit in amongst humans, rather hiding in the shadows or wearing fedoras & trenchcoats in public in the more over the top incarnations.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #9
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I figured if they ever had super powers, it would be ninja/martial arts related stuff like teleporting, tossing fireballs or throwing stars made of energy, maybe phasing into the shadows. Stuff like that. But not overly wacky stuff like super strength and flying.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

They're just...not superheroes, for the first part. Nor were they ever really "meant" to be superheroes. Sure, the people who know the utter bare minimum about TMNT might think so, but when scratching the surface - just a little bit - they're really not.

It's best off with its science-fiction elements, and and very few supernatural ones (Kitsune and the Pantheon push that boundary quite a bit in IDW).

I could agree with them having "powers" that would aid in their stealth, but then you'd have to ask why the Ooze would allow that to happen. Then secondly, how TCRI/TGRI/The Utroms would even risk mutagen like that being at even the slightest risk of being exposed to...anything. The only way I can think of them having superpowers during/after mutation is if it was deliberately applied to them ala Captain America. But even that would be a massive stretch.

So...no supernatural powers...at all.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Depends entirely on how well it’s done. It should be complimentary to their other skills and not the main focus. The issue with powers is that they are often overused or don’t have enough limits to them. If those are considered, it might prove interesting.

I also must admit, I’ve read a few stories which play with the turtles getting “bending” abilities ala Avatar and they are usually pretty entertaining
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:28 PM   #12
newfan
Mad Scientist

As sort of discussed already in another thread (though mystical and super are different) I'd go with no over all, they do well on their skill, slight abilities to enhance that (Like Splinter and Leo healing brielfy in 2012) is fine but big obvious super powers? Would that not take over?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:59 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Falls down to my usual answer about these kind of things.

What is the platform this would happen in?

Is it...

A) A kids' cartoon/toddler Flash animation-style thing or funnybook? Or a dumb movie for little kids?

B) An actual attempt at recapturing the spirit and vibe of the original TMNT, whether it's something faithful or a faithful reimagining?

If it's A, then I don't care because it's not for me. If it's for B then f*** off. I'm aware that even Laird has explored superpowers kind of fare but even with that, that's something he enjoyed exploring when a thing is fully developed and a good amount of time elapsed into it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-07-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #14
neatoman
Emperor

Why do I get the feeling I would see a thread with this exact topic if I only checked out the last five forum pages?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #15
pferreira
Foot Elite

I'm open to the idea but it's not something I would be desperate for because giving TMNT superpowers sounds erm...desperate.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

There was an episode from the 2003 series, it was Raph and Mikey who finds a cape, that gave them superpowers.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #17
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Superpower Struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
There was an episode from the 2003 series, it was Raph and Mikey who finds a cape, that gave them superpowers.
"Superpower Struggle" during season 7.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Only as a one off thing or something. Even in something like Ninja Tribunal I wasn't big on the Turtles turning into dragons and getting animesque powers.

Part of what has always appealed me about the Turtles is that they don't need guns or superpowers to take down their enemies.

For those of you arguing they're not superheroes because they don't have superpowers... Batman doesn't have them either. Yet he is a superhero in the traditional sense. He might be an except in among Marvel and DC like characters in this regard... but he is still a guy who dresses up in a suit and goes around facing supervillains and bad guys in general.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #19
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Only as a one off thing or something. Even in something like Ninja Tribunal I wasn't big on the Turtles turning into dragons and getting animesque powers.

Part of what has always appealed me about the Turtles is that they don't need guns or superpowers to take down their enemies.

For those of you arguing they're not superheroes because they don't have superpowers... Batman doesn't have them either. Yet he is a superhero in the traditional sense. He might be an except in among Marvel and DC like characters in this regard... but he is still a guy who dresses up in a suit and goes around facing supervillains and bad guys in general.
I think Batman should be called a vigliante, just like TMNT has Casey Jones, Gadgetman and the Nobody-character. (not to be confused with superheroes within TMNT, like Bugman and Silver Sentry)
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote