The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #81
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...source=twitter

Alec Baldwin to play Thomas Wayne
Old 08-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #82
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Alec Baldwin pulls out

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/m...ve/1136678002/
Old 08-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #83
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Alec Baldwin pulls out

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Old 08-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #84
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I was going to make a Kim Basinger joke but stopped myself.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #85
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Pics from filming out today:
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/joker...-movie-a163564

Still surprised this is actually happening.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #86
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

So a lot's come out on this recently...

What do you guys think of Phoenix's look as the Joker?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/joker...s-hero-a163710

I think visually it looks pretty great.

Still a bizarre choice of movie to make. Doesn't help the shared universe at best, actively hurts it at worst.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #87
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think we lost some posts in this thread. Unless I'm trippin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Still a bizarre choice of movie to make. Doesn't help the shared universe at best, actively hurts it at worst.

https://i.gifer.com/7AUX.gif
Yeah, exactly. And plus there are like zero Joker fans out there clamoring for a big Joker origin story. Who is this for, and what does it serve? Also, what happened to Martin Scorsese's name on it as producer? It's vanished.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #88
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Yeah, exactly. And plus there are like zero Joker fans out there clamoring for a big Joker origin story. Who is this for, and what does it serve? Also, what happened to Martin Scorsese's name on it as producer? It's vanished.
I think it's just cynical damage control.

"We have a big actor, playing a character audiences LOVE to see, and we'll make money off a cheaper budget!"

Does it help them in the long run? Not a damn bit. But it gives them a film that maybe critics DON'T rip apart in reviews, so... they count that as a win, I guess.

But hey, we're getting a black Black Canary (inspired by Fox's Domino in Deadpool 2? Surely not!) and a 12-year-old Cassandra Cain (inspired by Fox's Laura in Logan? Surely not!)

Maybe I'm just cynical.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #89
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
same for the Birds of Prey thread. maybe the mods played clean up while the site was down

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 09-24-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #90
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Or maybe the posts didn't get backed up before the site went down. Literally no one had access. No need to try to villify people.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #91
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
What do you guys think of Phoenix's look as the Joker?
Looks weird. Not a fan. On the one hand, they're clearly trying to copy Ledger's version since it was "universally" acclaimed. On the other hand, I don't like the makeup. Too "generic circus clown". I get that the very first thing everyone does when they sit down to make these things is ask, "How can we make it different this time?" (which I really wish they'd STOP doing). But on the other side... Joker's not difficult to do. Everybody knows what he looks like.

Movie could be interesting, but I'm in agreement with others who say that this movie's existence doesn't really do anything for anyone. If it does well, it sabotages all the other Joker-related films in development, with the "Bonus" of confusing the casual audience. If it does poorly, it's more egg on WB's face. Actual upside? I'm not sure.

The fact that they cast Phoenix, a good actor who critics adore but casual movie-goers have never cared about, tells me that they're simply trying to do a "for the critics" movie. Phoenix isn't the guy you put in a lead role if you want a billion dollars, he's the guy you cast when you want people who hate these kinds of movies to talk about them like more than overblown cartoons.

I don't even think WB is aiming for a billion with this one, but that's the arbitrary number you "have" to hit with these things now, otherwise the internet tells you that you f*cked up and shouldn't have bothered. So I'unno. I'll probably see it but I'm not in love with anything so far.

"Clay Pigeons" is a really good movie, though.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 09-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #92
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Remember, it's a 1980s period piece, too. Because... reasons.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #93
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Looks weird. Not a fan. On the one hand, they're clearly trying to copy Ledger's version since it was "universally" acclaimed. On the other hand, I don't like the makeup. Too "generic circus clown". I get that the very first thing everyone does when they sit down to make these things is ask, "How can we make it different this time?" (which I really wish they'd STOP doing). But on the other side... Joker's not difficult to do. Everybody knows what he looks like.

Movie could be interesting, but I'm in agreement with others who say that this movie's existence doesn't really do anything for anyone. If it does well, it sabotages all the other Joker-related films in development, with the "Bonus" of confusing the casual audience. If it does poorly, it's more egg on WB's face. Actual upside? I'm not sure.

The fact that they cast Phoenix, a good actor who critics adore but casual movie-goers have never cared about, tells me that they're simply trying to do a "for the critics" movie. Phoenix isn't the guy you put in a lead role if you want a billion dollars, he's the guy you cast when you want people who hate these kinds of movies to talk about them like more than overblown cartoons.

I don't even think WB is aiming for a billion with this one, but that's the arbitrary number you "have" to hit with these things now, otherwise the internet tells you that you f*cked up and shouldn't have bothered. So I'unno. I'll probably see it but I'm not in love with anything so far.

"Clay Pigeons" is a really good movie, though.
The last thing I remember hearing he was in was "Her." Didn't bother seeing it. Other than that... I got no clue what the guy's done.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #94
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm telling ya, man. "Clay Pigeons". Phoenix, Vince Vaughn pre-Dunkin' Donuts addiction, Janeane Garofalo before she became insufferable... it's a great, weird, quirky little dark comedy about murder and intrigue in a small town.

To this day, I randomly yell out "You SET YOURSELF UP GOD DAMMIT!!!!" at random and nobody but my wife gets it. Because I'm pretty sure we're two out of five people who've seen "Clay Pigeons".

But yeah, I think you'd get a kick out of that flick. A buried treasure of the late-90s. Check it out. "C'mon, now, fishin' buddyyyyyyyy!"

Old 01-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #95
Leo656
The Franchise

I had to go back like 10 pages to find this thread, but I saw this lovely article today and found it particularly relevant:

From the "Nobody Knows What They're Doing" Dept.:
https://screenrant.com/joker-zazie-b...itten-filming/

Essentially, there was a script... But it's not the movie. Most scenes were apparently written as they filmed, sometimes the day of.

An astute commenter pointed out that that's exactly how we got the Super Mario Bros. Movie.

Ah well. I had zero hope for this anyway.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:02 AM   #96
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Remember, it's a 1980s period piece, too. Because... reasons.
This time they want that costume design Oscar.

Through the Golden Door
Old 01-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #97
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I had to go back like 10 pages to find this thread, but I saw this lovely article today and found it particularly relevant:

From the "Nobody Knows What They're Doing" Dept.:
https://screenrant.com/joker-zazie-b...itten-filming/

Essentially, there was a script... But it's not the movie. Most scenes were apparently written as they filmed, sometimes the day of.

An astute commenter pointed out that that's exactly how we got the Super Mario Bros. Movie.

Ah well. I had zero hope for this anyway.
They probably kept rewriting it to be more critical of Trump, mirror current events, yadda yadda yadda.

Because when I watch a Batman movie that doesn't actually have any Batman, I really want it to be morality piece criticizing the POTUS.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #98
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I go along with the rumors going around that this guy in the movie isn't the joker we know, but rather inspires the Joker who later fights Batman. We see a whole bunch of clown villains in the trailers. Phoenix could simply be the first joker, predating Batman's foe, who inspires others.

Also tying in with this movie, I have long wondered if there wasn't just one joker, but they are kind of like an anarchist organization that terrorizes Gotham. Think about how Joker seemed to always cheat death when fighting batman; when one dies, who says he is not replaced by another? The red hood one (Jack Napier, if you believe it) that fell into the toxic chemicals was only one joker. Some have face paint, some have skin tattoos, and some are surgically altered. Harley and the other bat-villains either don't realize the change, or just go along with it. Who knows if batman is aware, either?

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #99
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I go along with the rumors going around that this guy in the movie isn't the joker we know, but rather inspires the Joker who later fights Batman. We see a whole bunch of clown villains in the trailers. Phoenix could simply be the first joker, predating Batman's foe, who inspires others.

Also tying in with this movie, I have long wondered if there wasn't just one joker, but the were kind of like an anarchist organization that terrorizes Gotham. Think about how Joker seemed to always cheat death when fighting batman; when one dies, who says he is not replaced by another? The red hood one (Jack Napier, if you believe it) that fell into the toxic chemicals was only one joke. some have face paint, some have skin tattoos, and some are surgically altered. Harley and the other bat-villains either don't realize the change, or just go along with it. Who knows if batman is aware, either?
In one of the recent DC reboots from like 3 years ago or so; the comics played with this idea that there were 3 different people who had operated as Joker and everyone thought it had been the same one. Sadly DC lost me quickly on that reboot since it went nowhere and wasn't patient, I'm not sure how well they followed that through but I'm guessing they didn't. I think it was that reboot where they were merging with Watchmen, still don't know what happened with that, I'm guessing nothing since I haven't read anything about it and that would've been big news.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #100
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
In one of the recent DC reboots from like 3 years ago or so; the comics played with this idea that there were 3 different people who had operated as Joker and everyone thought it had been the same one. Sadly DC lost me quickly on that reboot since it went nowhere and wasn't patient, I'm not sure how well they followed that through but I'm guessing they didn't. I think it was that reboot where they were merging with Watchmen, still don't know what happened with that, I'm guessing nothing since I haven't read anything about it and that would've been big news.
Yeah, we're still waiting on the "3 Jokers" story...

Tags
the cucker, the last sjw smiling