The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-05-2022, 06:10 PM   #61
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The only thing I care about this movie is just hearing how it'll do at the box office. Not only must it top the first one but End Game too.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:17 PM   #62
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The only thing I care about this movie is just hearing how it'll do at the box office. Not only must it top the first one but End Game too.
Yeah me too.
But you know, James Cameron's best trick worked for the first flick - re-release it as if that is some kind of "event" to draw people back and increase that box office number.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:18 PM   #63
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh jeeze... Cameron says testosterone is a toxin you have to purge from your body:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/...f-your-system/
They got him too. I should’ve known after that awful movie “Dark Fate” came out.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:48 PM   #64
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Nobody has seen it yet? Going tomorrow.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:03 PM   #65
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I haven't seen it yet but it was very slow yesterday. I figured it wouldn't be all that busy but not slower than I thought. They might want to reconsider doing a third one so soon.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:40 PM   #66
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I haven't seen it yet but it was very slow yesterday. I figured it wouldn't be all that busy but not slower than I thought. They might want to reconsider doing a third one so soon.
I'm not sure if these two things are connected?
Old 12-18-2022, 01:51 AM   #67
neatoman
Emperor

I've seen it. Not sure it technically qualifies as a good movie, given how much stupid there is in the plot, but the first one was kinda stupid too so if that didn't bother you then I doubt it will here. I guess the main problem (when it comes to what the first one didn't have) is leaving a bunch of stuff open to be explored in further sequels, which is annoying because it's not like this movie has a super complex plot for it's runtime, it's mostly just Jake's hiding with the water tribe while clones of the army guys hunt them down.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:05 AM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
it's mostly just Jake's hiding with the water tribe while clones of the army guys hunt them down.
Ehh... what?
Old 12-18-2022, 04:49 AM   #69
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
I'm not sure if these two things are connected?
Sorry, I work at the movie theaters and my job was expecting Avatar to be busy but there weren't a lot of people coming to see it.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:04 AM   #70
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Ehh... what?
Yeah, more or less. The bad guys from the last movie came back as clones and started hunting down Jake, so Jake went into hiding and then the clones had to track him down. There is admittedly a lot details about Jake's family needing to learn how to survive in the archipelago and fitting in with the tribe living, as well as some details regarding alien whaling, but in terms of the core plot it's really mostly about the clones trying to find Jake.
Hahahaha!
Old 12-19-2022, 12:35 AM   #71
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yeah, more or less. The bad guys from the last movie came back as clones and started hunting down Jake, so Jake went into hiding and then the clones had to track him down. There is admittedly a lot details about Jake's family needing to learn how to survive in the archipelago and fitting in with the tribe living, as well as some details regarding alien whaling, but in terms of the core plot it's really mostly about the clones trying to find Jake.
Saw it. OK, I get what you guys mean now. In my head I was struggling to imagine this, and was just thinking like Quaritch comes back and starts resurrecting the others and this is like an isolated uprising. No, it's the military full-on coming back to Pandora in full force and bringing them back from flashed memories.

Well, I really enjoyed it. A lot of it was predictable and some of it wasn't but it was always engaging and there hasn't been a better use of 3D since the 2009 first movie -- and by far. Arrows and water coming to the screen made me jump a few times. If anything, it feels both bigger than the first movie but also smaller, largely in that it is a big buildup to what basically amounts to a minor skirmish. The new characters did grow on me by about the middle even though I couldn't tell you a lot of their names now without looking. And yeah, it's a little bit of a redo of the formula of the first movie in that it spends the first half and some change (after a lengthy opening sequence that's like Avatar 1.5) trying hard to make the audience fall in love with all the new alien animal life introduced so that when the bad guys make their move in the last act and start killing them you're naturally inclined to root for the destruction of them. It's less effective here than in the first but still pretty effective. Not a huge part for Neytiri except a lot of crying. One kickass sequence for her.

Currently it's at 78% with critics and 94% with audiences. I perused a lot of the reviews from "official" outlets. From what I can sniff, with the "official" outlets and certain people, Cameron repeating his "man bad/nature good" even going as far as literally taking a stand in the movie on anti-whaling and in great detail, that wasn't enough. There isn't enough woke meat on the bones for them of "Current" movements. As in, any. So it isn't a useful movie for them and shame on Cameron for not having at least one of Jake Sully's kids being trans or something (though who knows what the future will bring! maybe this is the warmup round and there's quite a few kids there).

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-19-2022 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:07 AM   #72
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
They might want to reconsider doing a third one so soon.
Ironic, right? Considering how long the sequel took....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #73
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There is one thing I took umbrage with in the movie...

Spoiler:
It's the Sigourney Weaver character. She's presented as an immaculate conception with Jedi powers and you can see it coming a mile away. At one point they actually give her jellyfish angel wings. Pretty cringey stuff. It reminds me of the powers they gave Milla Jovovich in the third Resident Evil movie.

Also,

https://www.tmz.com/2022/12/18/james...s91wChcJazAjUg
Old 12-19-2022, 12:35 PM   #74
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:

Well, I really enjoyed it. A lot of it was predictable and some of it wasn't but it was always engaging and there hasn't been a better use of 3D since the 2009 first movie -- and by far. Arrows and water coming to the screen made me jump a few times. If anything, it feels both bigger than the first movie but also smaller, largely in that it is a big buildup to what basically amounts to a minor skirmish. The new characters did grow on me by about the middle even though I couldn't tell you a lot of their names now without looking. And yeah, it's a little bit of a redo of the formula of the first movie in that it spends the first half and some change (after a lengthy opening sequence that's like Avatar 1.5) trying hard to make the audience fall in love with all the new alien animal life introduced so that when the bad guys make their move in the last act and start killing them you're naturally inclined to root for the destruction of them. It's less effective here than in the first but still pretty effective. Not a huge part for Neytiri except a lot of crying. One kickass sequence for her.
Andrew, my only question is this:

If I go see this on mushrooms how enraptured will I be by the visuals, on a scale of 1 to 10?

ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #75
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Andrew, my only question is this:

If I go see this on mushrooms how enraptured will I be by the visuals, on a scale of 1 to 10?

https://media.tenor.com/4NKbOEKWSB8AAAAC/trip-homer.gif
If you see it in 3D? 10 for sure.
Old 12-22-2022, 12:11 PM   #76
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Avatar-2.html

Why am I not surprised?
Old 12-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #77
Sumac
Banned

So we do have some blue cat-like humanoids on Earth!
Does it mean catgirls are real, after all?

Also, this tribe must've missed the mark, movie already made some money and no amount of boycott from nobodies, who just want to cash in on the popularity of the movie, will change that. They still will be poor and dumb.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:12 AM   #78
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's up to 1.2 billion. Doing fine. Actually it's earning money faster than the original. By this point in time having been out, Avatar 1 had been doing less strong.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-30-2022 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 05:12 PM   #79
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So Avatar 3 really will be titled something like "The Way of Fire."

https://www.darkhorizons.com/avatar-...h-people-navi/
Old 12-30-2022, 05:43 PM   #80
neatoman
Emperor

Water. Fire. Dirt. Air.
Long ago, the four Na'vi sub-species lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Sky People attacked. Only the Toruk Makto, Master of the Pterodactyl thingies, could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he just wasn't around. An indeterminate amount of years passed and we discovered the new Toruk Makto, an an Avatar name Jake Sully, and although his gun shooting skills are great, he has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone. But I believe Jake Sully can save the world.

... I'm sorry but the decision to obviously go with the four elements thing in a franchise called Avatar... I know it's low hanging fruit, but I sure like to pick it.
Hahahaha!