The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 02-17-2022, 11:40 AM   #1141
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I mean, sure. Way better design than the Bay Turtles (though them coming back to the table with a new Bay Turtles-like design was never going to happen when those movies failed). But do we have to have such a battered wife syndrome that we are expected to go, "Well, at least they're better than the Bay Turtles! Awesome! What a win!"? Because that's dumb.

In all seriousness, it's fine. When I read Rogen was attached I was immediately defending the movie here. Rogen of years back is hysterical in his movies, in front of the camera and writing wise. And smart. Clever. And again, look at stuff like Preacher and The Boys, TV shows with his fingerprints all over... great stuff. So there was the kernel of hope that maybe he was secretly a TMNT fan, maybe even a fan of the Mirage flavored Turtles. I didn't know. Nobody knew.

Anyway, now we know. He isn't. He is into the tons of mutants, wackiness and pizza type TMNT fluff. Which again, is fine. It just means it isn't for me, and I'm sure I won't be missed. So the designs we're seeing... why not? It's all fine for what they're going for.
The year is 2022 - Studio plants have reached a new level of sophistication, incorporating nuance, subliminal messaging, and reverse psychology in their repertoire, combined in a potent mix, meant to beat the mind into submission before leading it into an ultimately obedient excitement for product.

They're hiding in plain sight.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:44 PM   #1142
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

Quote:
You hope it's legit without even having seen it? Sounds leafy to me!
I saw the pic but the link is broken, hence me asking if it is indeed a legit picture.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #1143
CyberCubed
Overlord

The reason glasses are stupid is it feels like a very dated stereotype from literally the 80's when "all nerds wore glasses."

I mean how is this a thing in the 2020's? Most nerds/geeks these days do NOT wear glasses, and it feels like such an outdated stereotype. And this is besides the point giving a Turtle glasses is stupid to begin with.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:39 PM   #1144
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The reason glasses are stupid is it feels like a very dated stereotype from literally the 80's when "all nerds wore glasses."

I mean how is this a thing in the 2020's? Most nerds/geeks these days do NOT wear glasses, and it feels like such an outdated stereotype. And this is besides the point giving a Turtle glasses is stupid to begin with.
Well TMNT was around in the 80s when nerds wear glasses, So I guess they thought, Since the TMNT came out in the 80s, Donnie will wear glasses to represent 80s nerd culture.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:53 PM   #1145
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
You don't speak for everyone, kid.
Remember that.
Well... I speak for anyone who is able to see the Technodrome for what a dead weight it is, both in-universe and as a plot device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post
...if this piece is any indicator, they seem to be going the baby turtle route.

https://boundingintocomics.com/wp-co...d18af6e4ce.jpg

Original article: https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/...tmnt-villains/
Funny how theatrical and live-action Splinters always start out as rats. I thought for sure with the Wingnut and Technodrome art that this one would have Yoshi turn into Splinter this time but I guess not. Not that I'm complaining, I've stated before why I prefer this origin for him.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 05:39 PM   #1146
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I don't mind the clothing. I especially liked the designs for the Steve Baron sequel that never happened. It humanizes them.
Which is wrong. Because they're not "human". And they shouldn't even want to be.

I constantly get the feeling that a lot of people would like "Ninja Turtles" better if, somehow, they actually weren't turtles. Since there's this constant and irritating push to further and further "humanize" them.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #1147
AquaParade
Banned

http://artbrendan.com/portfolio-item...ninja-turtles/

I know this style won't work for everyone but I adore it. Wish we could have seen Baron return to the franchise instesd of this.

I've always found the outsider aspect of tmnt interesting. Both from a biological perspective, like in "Sons of the Silent Age", or from a lonely, social aspect.

Seeing them mimic human culture is interesting and makes sense to me. They take the language, the entertainment, the culture...I think they'd wear articles of clothing, for protection, if nothing else.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:51 PM   #1148
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I'd be interested to see a movie where they drop the 'teenage' from the title. Just call it "Mutant Ninja Turtles" or "Ninja Turtles". It helps differentiates it from just calling it the same title over and over.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:53 PM   #1149
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I'd be interested to see a movie where they drop the 'teenage' from the title. Just call it "Mutant Ninja Turtles" or "Ninja Turtles". It helps differentiate it from just calling in TMNT over and over.
Archie Comics sorta did that once when they did a storyarc focusing on the Turtles in the future. It was called Cyber Samurai Mutant Ninja Turtles. Then of course there was Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:54 PM   #1150
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Interestingly, there were plans for a 4th live action film titled Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation but then it got scrapped and the title was used for the short-lived Saban show with Venus.
That's true, I remember that.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:56 PM   #1151
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Interestingly, there were plans for a 4th live action film titled Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation but then it got scrapped and the title was used for the short-lived Saban show with Venus.
No, the movie was called "TMNT: New Generation." Similar to "The Next Mutation" but hardly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I'd be interested to see a movie where they drop the 'teenage' from the title. Just call it "Mutant Ninja Turtles" or "Ninja Turtles". It helps differentiates it from just calling it the same title over and over.
The tentative plan had the comic lasted at Image was to just draw a big "X" over the "Teenage" in the title if they had another birthday.

Turtles in their adult years, I've always been a fan of just "Ninja Turtles." Neat, clean.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:57 PM   #1152
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
No, the movie was called "TMNT: New Generation." Similar to "The Next Mutation" but hardly the same.
No wait, wasn't The Next Mutation going to be about the Turtles and Splinter developing powers? It was even on Peter Laird's blog.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:00 PM   #1153
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
No wait, wasn't The Next Mutation going to be about the Turtles and Splinter developing powers? It was even on Peter Laird's blog.
The movie? Yeah, one of those awful sounding incarnations of movie #4. But it wasn't called "The Next Mutation" at any point. Though I guess in speaking in broad terms about "movie #4," TNM (the show) really was the final form of it.

Some of the initial press releases and interviews with Kevin talked about how NT:TNM (the show) would be about the Turtles' "continuing mutation" but unless that was planned for season 2 or otherwise then we were lied to.

Here was all the news about 4 when I was following up on it and investigating 20 years ago:

http://thegreenlanterncorps.com/tmnt/nt4.html

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-17-2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:13 AM   #1154
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

Quote:

I know this style won't work for everyone but I adore it. Wish we could have seen Baron return to the franchise instesd of this.

I've always found the outsider aspect of tmnt interesting. Both from a biological perspective, like in "Sons of the Silent Age", or from a lonely, social aspect.

Seeing them mimic human culture is interesting and makes sense to me. They take the language, the entertainment, the culture...I think they'd wear articles of clothing, for protection, if nothing else.
these are great. I love them!
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:01 AM   #1155
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

I agree with you 100% on the outsider aspect. And absolutely, they should try to do their version of it (like, amalgams of what they THINK society is), wrongly, "a little off," in their spare time or when they're with April and/or Casey. It's extremely endearing... the whole trying to be a small part of a society that they know, deep down, they never can be a part of. It's sad. It's tragic.

But no. On the regular? Splinter would (and should) slap the f*** out of them if they came to their daily trainings wearing accessory crap. The buck would stop there. Immediately. In any kind of TMNT project that's not a farce or an all out comedy.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:45 AM   #1156
Sumac
Banned

Quote:

It looks pretty good, outside of muttface Raphael.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:04 AM   #1157
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
I agree with you 100% on the outsider aspect. And absolutely, they should try to do their version of it (like, amalgams of what they THINK society is), wrongly, "a little off," in their spare time or when they're with April and/or Casey. It's extremely endearing... the whole trying to be a small part of a society that they know, deep down, they never can be a part of. It's sad. It's tragic.

But no. On the regular? Splinter would (and should) slap the f*** out of them if they came to their daily trainings wearing accessory crap. The buck would stop there. Immediately. In any kind of TMNT project that's not a farce or an all out comedy.
I can imagine a version of Splinter that cares about that sort of thing and also one which is unconcerned with it, as long they stay in the shadows and continue their training. Maybe there's nothing wrong with a little self expression, if it doesn't get them into trouble.
Whether Splinter cares isn't the crux for me, but it's a fair point.

I just agree that there is a juicy and tragic element to the idea of them mimicking human culture. It's not about us wanting them to be humans, obviously. Quite the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash-Dash View Post
these are great. I love them!
Right?
What's sad is that it looks like the PD movies were possibly influenced by this art, down to the snow covered action scene, but botched them into oblivion. Now the turtles looking anything like this is sort of associated with the PD films.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:29 PM   #1158
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Right on cue this kind of stuff drops when I've got one of the most busy kind of work weeks of the year and I'm not on here... So, late to the discussion. Saw the pics in passing on my phone though. (I use the forum via computer and no memory of the login off hand.) The glasses are a big no from me. Can we maybe stop doing that? And if those were braces I saw on Leo... yeah, as stand alone art its cute, but as designs for an actual movie (that might spin off into more?) maybe lets not do that either and accept the fact that they probably wouldn't have access to eye and dental care?

Otherwise though... eh, I don't hate it.

Not that final designs aren't usually different than concept art anyhow, but so far this is at least visually acceptable for the most part.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:52 PM   #1159
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

I will have to wait and see the finised product. I didn't like the Nick show either until I watched it and it grew on me.

At least it looks better than rise to me but this was all just concept art.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:42 AM   #1160
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

I could have sworn that when the 2014 PD film was on the horizon it was touted as just being called 'Ninja Turtles' - no Teenage Mutant in there. And I'm sure I recall merry hell kicking off on this forum about it! Seems the vibe now is that it's OK for a 'Ninja Turtles' title?

Maybe in my old age my mind isn't quite what it used to be. But that's what I seem to remember.

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote