The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-26-2022, 06:30 PM   #21
Vegita-San
Emperor

keep in mind, in the first five eps, mike was the raph of the series. quick to anger and impatient. trashing a robot long after it was 'dead'. then they decided to lighten it up a little.

Movie mike is probably my favorite, with 2k3 mike next.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:19 AM   #22
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

It would be an improvement if Mikey's personality is closer to DMC1/DMC2 Dante or Hellboy. Although that would make him look like a eldest brother, not a younger brother.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:35 AM   #23
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Ever since the Fred Wolf series days, Michelangelo has become the designated catchphrase spewing machine and the face of the family friendly versions of TMNT.

While in the OT he was a chill surfer slang speaking dude, in 2k3 the writers decided to turn him into the comedian of the group and made him annoying and stupid as hell.

The last time a version of Michelangelo was tolerable was in the FW series days. Sure that was when the trend of turning Mikey into a joke began, but he still wasn't as annoying at the time. Although he was already known for being the least intelligent of the group.

TMNT is a property for kids. And Mikey is the face of such property and the most popular turtle for some reason. And kids love goofy humour and characters.

So yeah, I don't see that ever changing. All turtles have had a bad characterization or two, but Mikey clearly has gotten the short end of the stick.
I think the problem was Mikey didn't have much of a personality in the early Mirage comics. I think it was a bit later on when he'd become 'the heart of the team'.

Leo was shown calling the shots. Don was shown at least curious about technology and stuff. Raph was definitely the anger management one, which the cartoon toned down and made him a rude smartass. But Mikey was just.... there. So I guess someone (prob David Wise) came up with the surfer stereotype. Or maybe the suits felt they needed one of the Turtles to be particularly likeable and a catchphrase machine and whatnot and since Mikey was pretty much a clean slate, he was the chosen one.

In other words, I feel like if Mikey had a personality in the early Mirage comics, the cartoon would have gone with some variation of that,

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:33 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

Michelangelo's personality in Mirage started with his one-shot Christmas issue with Klunk. I think that cemented Michelangelo's personality as, "the fun one" even in Mirage. The whole issue is a fun Christmas story with Michelangelo taking care of a stray cat.

Obviously the whole, "pizza cowabunga dude' personality started with the original cartoon, but I think it's likely David Wise read that Mirage issue and spun it off from there.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:23 PM   #25
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Michelangelo's personality in Mirage started with his one-shot Christmas issue with Klunk. I think that cemented Michelangelo's personality as, "the fun one" even in Mirage. The whole issue is a fun Christmas story with Michelangelo taking care of a stray cat.
Well that and... Then there is this as well:
Spoiler:

Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 01:06 AM   #26
Shark_Blade
Emperor

From the looks of it, Mikey won’t be an idiot moron in Mutants Mayhem too. What a blessing.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 01:44 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

No, he is very doomed. There isn't anything post-Mirage where he isn't OOC. All there is is varying degrees of the least levels of abrasion. But there is always abrasion. Whether he has some degree of apparent retardation or a general sense of surfer/vacuous jokey dude, it's always there.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:27 AM   #28
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
From the looks of it, Mikey won’t be an idiot moron in Mutants Mayhem too. What a blessing.
Nope. They will all be idiot morons.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:43 AM   #29
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Are you joking?
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 03:06 PM   #30
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I thought Rise did a pretty decent job with him, showing his more creative side, not to mention his love for his brothers. I know everyone has their hang ups and issues with that interpretation, but that had to be my favorite version of Michelangelo!

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #31
Poweranimals
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Ever since the Fred Wolf series days, Michelangelo has become the designated catchphrase spewing machine and the face of the family friendly versions of TMNT.

While in the OT he was a chill surfer slang speaking dude, in 2k3 the writers decided to turn him into the comedian of the group and made him annoying and stupid as hell.

The last time a version of Michelangelo was tolerable was in the FW series days. Sure that was when the trend of turning Mikey into a joke began, but he still wasn't as annoying at the time. Although he was already known for being the least intelligent of the group.

TMNT is a property for kids. And Mikey is the face of such property and the most popular turtle for some reason. And kids love goofy humour and characters.

So yeah, I don't see that ever changing. All turtles have had a bad characterization or two, but Mikey clearly has gotten the short end of the stick.
I don't understand the issue with making him the comic relief character. I've always found him to be amusing and one of the most enjoyable characters. I didn't enjoy the Rise version as much since that version took more of a backseat in terms of comedy.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:43 PM   #32
miru
Mad Scientist

I wonder if Baxter is also eternally doomed? Outside of the Mirage series and the Last Ronin (maybe IDW and 2k3 but those versions still make him sympathetic) he’s always a borderline joke villain best known for the sheer misfortune handled upon him and being pushed around by others.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 11:52 AM   #33
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I wonder if Baxter is also eternally doomed? Outside of the Mirage series and the Last Ronin (maybe IDW and 2k3 but those versions still make him sympathetic) he’s always a borderline joke villain best known for the sheer misfortune handled upon him and being pushed around by others.
I think IDW Stockman might be an archenemy for Old Hob and Mighty Mutanimals. But they screwed up a lot of potential story development. In Mutant Town arc, he just build a giant wall and stole some mutant fish's egg. Even in Armageddon Game arc, he actually just sits and does nothing.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 04:02 AM   #34
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think Mike is going to be anything more than the goofy party dude/immature baby brother. Especially in this Nickelodeon era. 80% of fan art today has Leo, Don and Raph looking badass while Mike is stuffing his face with pizza. It's ingrained in pop culture.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"

Last edited by Anarchistguy; 11-01-2023 at 04:42 AM.
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 04:20 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think Mike is going to be anything more than the goofy party dude/immature baby brother. Especially in this Nickelodeon era. It's ingrained in pop culture.
True. But we just don't have to like it. Or even really accept it.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 04:40 AM   #36
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Oh don't get it twisted. I don't care for it at all. But such is the state of things.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote