The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #221
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'll be honest, I thought the whole mask thing was because they can sweat, but don't have eyebrows.
Exactly my go-to explanation as well.

If you're involved in life and death situations like they often are, for sake of your own survival it would be imperative that you keep your vision unobscured if getting sweat in your eyes might sting. Makes perfect sense to me.

Plus, it's cuter than sweatbands which might slip off too easily anyhow and not be as helpful.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #222
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
It's not really something I thought of. Probably something that they could translate from martial arts really easily. Which probably means one of them is secretly into ballet.

I was just thinking about all the trends of April not being entirely human. Specifically being half-alien. I figured that if I had the option, I'd make her half Neutrino. First it would give a lot more room to be more creative with her hair. Second because it would probably be a lot easier to get around than being half Kraang/Utrom. If it has to be a missing parent, I'll just...make it the dad this time. But not, he'd probably just have some masking technology to cover up his ears. His genetic information probably won't be looked at closely enough for anyone to realize he's an alien. Thus he doesn't participate in 23&me type programs or talk about his family much.

Ooh, I really like that idea about April's parents! Neutrino mom (or dad) would actually make sense if we want to go with the "April has psychic powers" route. I mean, in the OT, Neutrino babies had incredibly strong psychic abilities that faded over time, but what if one were crossed with a human- maybe the child would keep them? For that matter, it could end up like the Starchild, and grow stronger. But it makes for some awesome story potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Although I came up with this in the Rise! speculation thread, I would like to ask this here.

What types of dance/ dance moves would best represent the Turtles'?

I always thought that the Turtles' wouldn't be interested in dancing. However, I started imagining the different kinds of dance moves that would best suit their personalities/ motivations.

Well, we've already seen them dance in multiple incarnations, and they all invariably seem to gravitate to breakdance or hip-hop styles. Street dancing, for sure, though I can see Leo also doing some ballroom or tai-chi (which resembles a dance in many ways) and Mikey might enjoy Latin style (tango, flamenco, cha-cha) or other ethnic styles like traditional Celtic or Jewish dances. Raph probably won't outside of hip-hop or break, but Donnie might try a little of everything, maybe interpretive as a creative outlet.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #223
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I'm kind of surprised that 2k12!April (and, to a somewhat greater extent, Irma) never even got dress coded.

Usually, schools are pretty strict when it comes to clothing, and certain individuals are usually (and heavily) reprimanded for even the slightest infraction. Young women would always get unfairly berated for donning so called "inappropriate clothing". For April and Irma to wear micro shorts and mini skirts respectively, while they walk around school, AND avoid getting scrutinized in any way ... just wow. I guess their area had a lax code of conduct.

I wish my schools were like that. ( I know their school isn't real, but still ... )
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #224
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I really went off the deep end with my concept of April in conceptualizing...and it's an idea I really want to keep to myself until I get it written, but none of my ideas are coming out right .

We never see enough of April in school for that to come up, and I don't think it would even if it showed that part of her life more.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #225
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
I'm kind of surprised that 2k12!April (and, to a somewhat greater extent, Irma) never even got dress coded.

Usually, schools are pretty strict when it comes to clothing, and certain individuals are usually (and heavily) reprimanded for even the slightest infraction. Young women would always get unfairly berated for donning so called "inappropriate clothing". For April and Irma to wear micro shorts and mini skirts respectively, while they walk around school, AND avoid getting scrutinized in any way ... just wow. I guess their area had a lax code of conduct.

I wish my schools were like that. ( I know their school isn't real, but still ... )
Dunno where you're from to have experienced dress-code issues, but to my understanding, most schools really aren't that high-strung about attire. You hear all these stories in the media about girls getting crap over certain kinds of tops or whatever, but I get the impression that's just conservative areas being sensationalized. I dunno. I was a part of the public school system in New York (where the cartoon obviously took place) & I saw girls wearing much more revealing attire than those two characters (& guys wearing tees with controversial imagery/phrases on them, too). April had leggings on anyway, it's not like she was putting on a skin show.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #226
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Although I came up with this in the Rise! speculation thread, I would like to ask this here.

What types of dance/ dance moves would best represent the Turtles'?

I always thought that the Turtles' wouldn't be interested in dancing. However, I started imagining the different kinds of dance moves that would best suit their personalities/ motivations.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #227
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:

Like...those are normal clothes. Any girl wears clothes like that in High school.

I mean aren't you only 20? You graduated High School what....2 years ago? You don't remember people dressing like that?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #228
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Like...those are normal clothes. Any girl wears clothes like that in High school.

I mean aren't you only 20? You graduated High School what....2 years ago? You don't remember people dressing like that?
Not really.

And if they were, they were heavily shamed, reprimanded, and punished.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #229
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Our school would have never allowed that, either, and that was over 20 years ago. Leggings or not, the shorts were too short. So is Irma's skirt.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #230
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

Hmm... just trolling, just know-it-all-ing, or just creeping around high schools and checking out what the girls wear these days.......? Yes, I would think someone with more recent experience of High School would know what it was like in her school/school district/town.

Yeah... I don't live in a conservative area, but there was still always a dress code. Which doesn't appear to have changed much, esp as many of the schools around here have in fact moved to school uniforms.

Granted I'm "old," but back then Irma probably wouldn't have gotten away with her skirt being that short, and I doubt she would now. April is questionable... some of my teachers, esp the younger ones, might have looked past it since she's wearing leggings, though others may have still objected to the fact that they're short-shorts. Which were not allowed, probably still aren't, and the leggings may have been seen as just a way of trying to get away with them against the rules.

Hell, even I got some teacher once trying to make some point about the length and decided to point out the shorts I was wearing (thanks, pick the shy, quiet girl! ) because they weren't close enough to the knee. I was not one to try to dress revealing and they were not short-shorts, but having long legs I was kind of a disadvantage compared to shorter people.

But I did the best I could do with what was in the stores back then. I mean, you just try finding girl's Juniors dept shorts that come down far enough. Was always tough back then and I'm sure it probably still is. They carry what's trendy that the girl will like, but not necessarily what's right for school. And what teen wants to shop in the other women's departments if the stuff feels too old...
Old 05-09-2018, 10:11 PM   #231
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Our school would have never allowed that, either, and that was over 20 years ago. Leggings or not, the shorts were too short. So is Irma's skirt.
Is this being serious? I live in New York and girls wore short shorts, skirts (as long as they weren't too short), and tank tops all the time.

I mean I find this bizarre, people think Nick April's outfit was innappropiate? You do realize the Nick execs had to approve that design before Ciro put it into the show and they saw nothing wrong with it, right? Even if April wasn't wearing those leggings and just had the shorts, it likely would have been fine.

Goodness, characters in other children's TV shows wear much less than that. Hell, even the Pokemon anime has all its girls wearing less or more revealing clothing.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #232
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Also bizarre that you think that your city, or at least your part of your city, is an example of the rest of the entire country.

Suggestion... see if the school districts in question have their dress code listed online and see what they actually say.

And yes, everyone knows that cartoon characters often tend to provide an unrealistic example.

edit: For fun I went and looked for my old high school's present dress code. Was able to find their 2016 Parent-Student Handbook online.

Yup... Has not changed much. And now I remember that the length rule was the fingertips and still is.

And going by this, April would get reprimanded as the info after it suggested. Seeing as how "garments worn over stretch pants" must STILL reach the fingertips. Unlike her little shorts.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-09-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #233
CyberCubed
Overlord

The whole point is many High school girls worldwide dress like that unless they're school uniforms or mandated outfits. This is the first time I'm hearing people say Nick April's outfit is not appropriate since 2012 when her design was revealed.

She's wearing normal shorts, and then has leggings or pants or whatever those are under them. Even if she weren't wearing those the shorts are fine. And Irma (ignoring the fact that it was a robot)'s skirt is short? What the hell? Even Velma from Scooby Doo wears a shorter skirt.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:58 AM   #234
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Um, no, she's really not. Those are clearly what some would call "Daisy Dukes" after the short shorts worn by that character in Dukes of Hazzard. Which are NOT permitted in MOST school dress codes I've ever heard of. Believe it or not, a strict dress code is the norm in most of the country, for reasons of health and distraction. Our own dress code- halfway across the country from Indigo, I might add- was much tbe same. And still is. Schools do not care if it is "trendy" or what students like, they are concerned with whether or not it would distract other students or present a health concern. And yes, even schools with no uniform still have dress codes that are usually enforced. I've seen students sent home for wearing exactly the type of shorts April does in the cartoon. With OR without leggings.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:04 AM   #235
neatoman
Emperor

This is hilarious.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #236
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I must say that aside from commentary on the masks, they also captured Leo and Raph quite nicely... That's dumb, but we're competitive, so count me in.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #237
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I went to High School while living in the bible belt, everyone was christian and super conservative. We had a a page and a half worth of clothing rules, in jr. high we went over it on the first day of school for a whole period

Irma and April wouldn't have had any problem whatsoever, Irma's skirt is not short at all and April was more than fine because of the leggings, but plenty of girls wore daisy dukes without leggings. You technically couldn't show any skin under your shirt but as long as your belly button was barely visible it didn't matter. You'd see thong strings sticking out constantly, every once in a while girls who didn't wear bras, tube tops etc. Every once a blue moon they would crack down on spaghetti straps but if the girls had their backpacks on it didn't matter.

Baggy pants and "offensive" band shirts which is pretty vague was also banned and yet I wore plenty of embarrassingly baggy pants many times and very offensive band shirts all the time without a problem. The only thing my school would crack down on was "unnatural hair color" but even then some girls could get away with a pinkish/reddish tone.

Papenbrook is just trolling as usual.

Last edited by sdp; 05-10-2018 at 10:31 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #238
CyberCubed
Overlord

Really, even belly shirts? I remember when I was in High school plenty of girls wore half shirts that exposed their belly. I was in High School in the early 2000's, I don't think much has changed.

Man I don't know what kind of 1950's America you guys came from, but back in my day, girls would wear shorts, skirts, tank tops, belly shirts, etc. all the time and be allowed in school just fine. This is the early 2000's, that was the norm.

Hell the bigger complaints would be those big tall black guys who wore baggy pants with their boxers sticking out...those guys were always reprimanded by the principal or teachers or whatever.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #239
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well you're from New York, Missouri is a lot more conservative.

Belly shirts were definitely a no-no, so 2k3 April would've been made to wear a jacket over it. But as long as the navel was covered it didn't seem to matter. Most girls wore outfits similar to Barbara Gordon from The Batman

belly shirts were not really that "in" in the mid 00's, that was more of a 90s and recent thing again in my experience. In the mid/late 00's it seemed to be "tacky" at least for a while, now it's pretty common again. But maybe that's only in my area.

2012 April/Irma, totally fine, except maybe Irma's hair but a lot of time has passed, maybe "unnatural" hair color is allowed now. Extremely few blacks in my High School and they didn't wear anything baggy, so that was never an issue A lot of white trash who wore baggy clothes but most of those dropped out by sophomore year.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #240
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

sdp, what was even on that page and a half that took a whole class period if all that stuff was fine? Or was it just what the district wanted but the school itself was super lax on it?

The only thing I really think is kind of dumb is schools being against "unnatural hair colors." I don't really remember mine ever being against that, but I'm not sure crazy colors were that big of a thing at the time anyhow.

Only thing that's noticeably changed for mine is the ban on chains and pointed objects. In my day the boys were fine having the chains on their wallets, which I presume is what they mean.

And no, Cubed, it wasn't (and isn't) any "1950's America" kind of school. It's just not quite the typical public high school and has always held itself to a particular standard. It's not a babysitter... It's a highly rated Vo-Tech within a small, separate school district (high schools only - 3 when I was there, now 4) existing within the territories of the other main default school districts, includes numerous career areas (of which students choose a "major," so to speak, before entering 10th grade), requires applications to get in, if you're lucky to get accepted, and they will kick your ass out if need be and send you back to your default district...

Years ago some held some kind of stigma, thinking that because it's a vo-tech then it's for kids that won't go to college, but the larger majority of their students in fact do...and they go in with a head start. But for those that don't, then they also at least have something better to try to start with.

This place doesn't have a stick up its butt, but given its curriculum (and safety reasons in certain career area classes) it at least expects a particular level of professionalism from both students and staff if they truly want to be there. (Booty shorts in nursing, dental, Chem Lab, etc? I don't think so.)

It's the only school I'd actually ever missed. Grateful that it wasn't the hell hole that the average high school experience may be... or at least I've gotten the impression of.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-10-2018 at 11:21 AM.