The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:42 AM   #61
LogicDonny
Banned

I salute you, Kevin Munroe, you did a great job working on TMNT.

If you read this topic, please accept our toast to you, man.

I wish we all can go and meet him in real life
Old 03-25-2007, 03:12 AM   #62
RskimB
Hench Mutant

we are lucky thanks kevin and hopefully the sequel will go beyond this and fulfill even more of out tmnt fantasies
Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #63
JetsAndHeels
Stone Warrior

We are very lucky fans indeed.

Even luckier are the young fans now who are being introduced to these things we have loved all along..the kids you saw in the theater watching TMNT this weekend..the ones who are experiencing all this for the first time. They will always remember seeing this movie.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #64
Brandatello
Hench Mutant

its funny how im 14 turning 15, and these kids are experiencing it now in the 2000's but i grew up in the 90's so i have the older memories and these kids have the newer memories they think its new stuff, but they have no idea...i consider us all lucky that we have TMNT in our lives...
Old 03-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #65
Splinter's Iroonna
Hench Mutant

I certainly feel lucky!

Speaking as someone who used to go to movies multiple times, it's been a LONG time since a movie has made me want to go more than twice!

But the biggest luck was rediscovering the Turtles through the 4Kids toon, then finding online communities and actually making real life friends with some of the people I've met everywhere.

Spoiler:
And CGI Turtles kick serious ass!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #66
TerranigmaFreak
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoakleyz View Post
Yeah I said the same thing in another thread about flaws in human CGI. Bottom line, I hate CGI all together. Any time they use it it feels like what they used it on doesn't count because they just pressed that magic mouse button and there it was.
Really!? That's such an easy job. Maybe I can work at Imagi too! I mean, I can even do extra work and be their janitor as well. I'm sure they'll love to hire someone who can clean and randomly band his testicles on the keyboard to magically make a new movie!

Quote:
You want realistic? Then go watch Final Fantasy

First footage of the new R rated TMNT movie.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #67
Time Mistress
Stone Warrior

I love your sig Splinter's Iroonna.

"You just made your last mistake, Bugeyes -- 'cuz nobody beats up my best buddy and gets away with it -- Nobody! Got that?!"
Raphael about Michaelangelo, TMNT Volume 1
Old 03-26-2007, 12:41 AM   #68
Juniorx
Foot Soldier

i really like this flim alot not more then the 1st one.but it was great.yes we are lucky because how long ago was a last turtle movie came out 14 years ago.look i understand this isnt the live version i was hopping for one too like every turtle fan but at least we got a another turtle flim instead them being left in the dark.im happy they are back im not sayin you cant have a opinion.just be greatful they are back dude unless you dont want them back.we do.i mean no troubles.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #69
heretic888
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Mistress View Post
I think it's safe to say at this point that most of us think this new movie pretty much rocks!
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree here. In my opinion, this was one of the worst movies I have seen in the last few years.

I saw this movie on opening night at 10:30 PM, about half an hour from getting off work. I cannot emphasize how disappointed I was. The story was hokey and ill-structured, the writing was terribly cliched and clearly designed for children (I was hoping for something like from other animated films like Shrek or Ice Age where it appeals to children but also has something for adults), the humans looked absurd and cartoonish (although Splinter and the TMNT were gorgeous)....

And, worst of all, all the characters except for Leonardo and Raphael were relegated to cheap plot devices. Michelangelo, Donatello, Casey, April, and even Splinter were essentially little more than supporting characters. Michelangelo and Donatello in particular were basically non-character stereotypes (Mike was just there for a handful of slapstick lines and Don was just there to give the 'smart guy' explanation). Mike and Don could have been removed entirely from the film and the overall effect of the movie would have been unchanged.

Don't get me wrong, it was still better than the third TMNT movie and, to the animators' credit, it was visually stunning and impressive (excluding the goofy appearance of all the human characters). But, the unshakable truth of the matter is that I wasn't already a TMNT fan, I wouldn't have enjoyed this movie. At all. It was just a bad film altogether.

I had such high hopes for the fourth TMNT movie, but they were pretty much all destroyed. Sigh.
"Ninpo began as training to become a moral people and to learn to endure in whatever social condition one is in; to know and accept one's fate, and to live for human beings and all other creatures. The person who masters all of these is a Ninja." (Masaaki Hatsumi)
Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #70
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

... I have to agree with you on most of that, heretic. I really liked the cool action sequences and the Leo-Raph plot, but everything else could have used proofreading.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #71
Lone Wolf
Foot Soldier

Holy bitter absurdity, the worst movie in years?

To balance out this insane commentary, I will use your own methods of discourse to debunk your criticisms.

I saw this movie at 1:00 on the opening day; I cannot emphasize how grateful and blown away I felt. The story was fast-paced and character driven, clearly a step in the franchise for a broader appeal more akin to the first film and other comic book-based movies. I am glad it avoided the cheap star and innuendo driven humor of animated movies that are the superficial lining of movies clearly woven for small children.

Best of all, instead of watering down all of the characters in the interest of giving them all equal screen time, they focused on the changes undergone by the characters that were most capable of carrying the plot of the movie on their shoulders, while still keeping the other characters consistent and significant supporting members for the leads. While Leo and Raph took the spotlight, the whole family dynamic hinged upon the scenes with Splinter and each member of the family, and there is no way this movie could have worked without the dialogue interplay between the supporting characters. Leo came back to lead a family, and Mikey and Don played a pivotal role in being that family, which would not have been possible if they had been put on par with leader and the discontent frustrated with his leadership (or lack thereof). If Mikey and Don were removed from this movie, the overall effect of the movie would have been absolutely decimated.

Don't get me wrong, this movie had to make concessions to its sub 90-minute runtime, but the unshakeable truth is that even if I weren't a TMNT fan, I would have enjoyed this movie, like most of the people who I assume aren't TMNT fans that have rated this movie at boxofficemojo.com, Yahoo Movies and IMDB. A lot. It was just a really fun movie altogether.

I had such high hopes for a fourth TMNT movie, and they were pretty much totally exceeded. Awesome.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #72
iris
moddy mod mod

Aw come on guys, there are plenty of threads asking for your critical opinion of the movie. Do we really need to post that stuff in the "yayayaya movie high 5!" thread?

And also...

YAYAYA!! A TMNT MOVIE! AWESOME!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #73
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist

Question

Um, dudes...

I thought we understood that this is not a designated criticism thread, but a thread of WHOOPIE!!!!! I'M GRATEFUL THE TURTLES DIDN'T GET F***ED IN THIS MOVIE!

We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #74
Lone Wolf
Foot Soldier

Not including Rooish in this, he was just replying, but bitter people generally don't like the idea of not sharing their opinions, even when their opinion has been noted and precluded from a discussion started by people not wishing to delve into their (in this case, minority) perspective.

Of course, they don't care that most people like the movie. Its not like they resent that fact or want to rain on anyones parade... they are just trying to get the "unshakeable facts" straight.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #75
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
Not including Rooish in this, he was just replying, but bitter people generally don't like the idea of not sharing their opinions, even when their opinion has been noted and precluded from a discussion started by people not wishing to delve into their (in this case, minority) perspective.

Of course, they don't care that most people like the movie. Its not like they resent that fact or want to rain on anyones parade... they are just trying to get the "unshakeable facts" straight.
But we have threads, many threads, that criticize the movies. Seriously, there actually is a thread for people who were disappointed by the movie and can elaborate on their well-grounded points (i'm not saying these people are wrong in what they're saying.) I am saying that this is not an review thread. This is a thread where. we. party. because. we. LIKED. the movie. Ergo, the flippin' title of the thread.

In all fairness, though, I think the same kind of respect should apply the other way so we don't have this double standard going. Someone opens a thread explaining why he/she disliked the film and we have the same old battles...
We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #76
Lone Wolf
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
But we have threads, many threads, that criticize the movies. Seriously, there actually is a thread for people who were disappointed by the movie and can elaborate on their well-grounded points (i'm not saying these people are wrong in what they're saying.) I am saying that this is not an review thread. This is a thread where. we. party. because. we. LIKED. the movie. Ergo, the flippin' title of the thread.

In all fairness, though, I think the same kind of respect should apply the other way so we don't have this double standard going. Someone opens a thread explaining why he/she disliked the film and we have the same old battles...
I agree, there shouldn't be a double-standard, hence why I haven't even stopped by any "disappointment" threads, because I loved the movie.

I totally understand what you are saying, I was being sarcastic when I said such people don't want to rain on other individuals' parade

Last edited by Lone Wolf; 03-26-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #77
heretic888
Foot Elite

Oh, good grief.

I am a contributing poster at about 10-odd message boards ranging in subjects from D&D to martial arts to politics. That is without doubt the only message board I have been to where there is some deluded fantasy that only some opinions are valid in the context of certain discussions. And this doesn't come from the moderators, mind you, but from posters who feel it is their unalienable right to decide what opinions can and cannot be expressed in "their" threads.

I can understand that some disagree with my position --- and I'm sure the majority here do --- but, this whole "You Can Only Post the Opinions I Want You To Post Because This is My Thread!" thing is so trite and immature its almost beyond belief. I don't post here as regularly as I used to, but did Krang institute some new policy where posters can graduate themselves to moderators whenever they feel like it??

Wow. Just, wow.
"Ninpo began as training to become a moral people and to learn to endure in whatever social condition one is in; to know and accept one's fate, and to live for human beings and all other creatures. The person who masters all of these is a Ninja." (Masaaki Hatsumi)
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #78
Time Mistress
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
Um, dudes...

I thought we understood that this is not a designated criticism thread, but a thread of WHOOPIE!!!!! I'M GRATEFUL THE TURTLES DIDN'T GET F***ED IN THIS MOVIE!

Yeah, that was my basic intention for starting this thread. I was careful to say in my first post "most of us" not "all of us" cause I know not everybody is going to agree on everything. This thread is meant for pure party purposes.

"You just made your last mistake, Bugeyes -- 'cuz nobody beats up my best buddy and gets away with it -- Nobody! Got that?!"
Raphael about Michaelangelo, TMNT Volume 1
Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #79
Lone Wolf
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic888 View Post
Oh, good grief.

I am a contributing poster at about 10-odd message boards ranging in subjects from D&D to martial arts to politics. That is without doubt the only message board I have been to where there is some deluded fantasy that only some opinions are valid in the context of certain discussions. And this doesn't come from the moderators, mind you, but from posters who feel it is their unalienable right to decide what opinions can and cannot be expressed in "their" threads.

I can understand that some disagree with my position --- and I'm sure the majority here do --- but, this whole "You Can Only Post the Opinions I Want You To Post Because This is My Thread!" thing is so trite and immature its almost beyond belief. I don't post here as regularly as I used to, but did Krang institute some new policy where posters can graduate themselves to moderators whenever they feel like it??

Wow. Just, wow.
Have you been banned? Is anyone here calling for your exile? No. But this thread was titled and labeled for a reason, and your unasked for and offtopic harshness was the equivalent of showing up to a baseball game in a soccer uniform. Unless you provided some brilliant reason or everyone to start playing soccer, you were going to get called for being lame, which is what happened.

Your inability to comprehend this basic civility is not trite (do you know what that word means?) but is indeed very immature.

If you are at a convention panel titled "Discussion for fans of the New Robotech Movie", would you expect to be welcomed and patted on the back when you show up and say Robotech sucks, you hoped it would be better but the unshakeable fact is that is was garbage. Sure, no security guard is going to haul you off, but that doesn't mean it is a smart thing to do.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #80
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist

I'm glad to see you have that much time on your hands, heretic888.

In a way, though, you're spoiling a party. Can't we have a party thread? This shouldn't be a debate/let's pick the film apart thread because we have scores of others doing that exact thing... And they are great reads. But what ticks me off about this is that I think you and a few others are basically posting off topic.

Unless we debate about whether we really are lucky fans...

Screw it. I love these moments on message boards when I realize what I'm arguing about is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. There's no reason to give a title to a thread, because in the end we end up having the same discussions and lose sight of the point of the thread. If we want to talk about plot in one thread, it becomes another comparison of old and new; heaven forbid we stick to subject. But that's message boards. I keep forgetting this fact because I don't frequent them as often as you do.

Speaking of going off-topic... Let's try to chill out before the grumpy mods decide to shut this down...
Closed Thread