The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

And 2019 is practically over. How was your year? And what do you expect of 2020?

Still some days left, but I don't think this is a bad time to make this thread.

2019 had its high and lows for me. In some aspects it was better than 2018 and in others it was worse. A big plus is that I've been getting medication for my anxiety and depression this year and also have finally gotten a Nintendo Switch. Been playing Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate, Mario Maker 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and I got Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remake for Christmas as well.

This is also gonna be the last year that I spent entirely in my 20s. I turned 29 in November, and next year I'll turn 30.

Not much else to tell, really.

As for 2020, like I've said, it will be the year where I turn 30. I also hope I'm able to keep on fighting my depression and anxiety and enjoy life more.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I am going to be in my mid 30’s by the end of next year. This is some kind of sick joke, my 20’s are over and my 30’s seem to be going by in half the time. What the hell is going on.

I remember when I first came online around 1998-1999 I was one of the younger posters online and on IGN I registered as a 13 year old. I remember seeing these people in their 20’s and wondering why a bunch of “old people” were posting on a message board. A 30 year old posting back in the early 2000’s felt like an ancient person.

I now realize I have become one of those old people on forums and realized the people I’m interacting with on other forums are now half my age. Feels weird as hell knowing I’m discussing something with a 16-17 year old online. Then I remember I was young once, and that used to be me.

Where does the time go? It’s like how old Luke is in the new Star Wars movies and remembering when he was the young hero and Rey wasn’t even born yet. Makes me sick to my stomach, why can’t it be 2005 again.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I am going to be in my mid 30’s by the end of next year. This is some kind of sick joke, my 20’s are over and my 30’s seem to be going by in half the time. What the hell is going on.

I remember when I first came online around 1998-1999 I was one of the younger posters online and on IGN I registered as a 13 year old. I remember seeing these people in their 20’s and wondering why a bunch of “old people” were posting on a message board. A 30 year old posting back in the early 2000’s felt like an ancient person.

I now realize I have become one of those old people on forums and realized the people I’m interacting with on other forums are now half my age. Feels weird as hell knowing I’m discussing something with a 16-17 year old online. Then I remember I was young once, and that used to be me.

Where does the time go? It’s like how old Luke is in the new Star Wars movies and remembering when he was the young hero and Rey wasn’t even born yet. Makes me sick to my stomach, why can’t it be 2005 again.
I registered on IGN when I was 14. Most of the younger users there were high schoolers and mostly stuck to the wrestling and cartoon boards and such. Other boards were mostly inhabited by people aged 18-25.

I remember posting on a Portuguese wrestling forum when I was in HS and most users there being around my age or only a few years older, with a few notable exceptions being 25-30. You could easily tell their age by the way they wrote and the arguments they made, especially in more political discussions and such.

I used to feel like a kid or someone younger than average in most online forums. When I joined these forums I was 18 still. And most of the regulars at the time were significantly older than me.

But in the last 5 years or so I've been feeling older than average online. Your typical forum and reddit goer is around 18-22.

I remember being intimidated and in awe at the discussions involving adults on forums about work, university, relationships, etc. when I was a teenager. Now I look at people aged 18-22 and they a lot of them are annoying as hell and don't know anything about life.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

It’s so weird thinking about the teenagers who grew up in the 2010’s they’re like a whole generation removed from us. It feels weird to think they were babies back in the early 2000’s. Like I could be discussing a videogame with someone on a forum who was like an infant when I was already in High School. Very weird.

I guess it’s true what they say, “Youth is wasted on the young.” Everything our parents and grandparents told us when we were kids came to pass. It was true, all of it. I realize I’m now the same age my father was when he was coming home from work watching Star Trek or talking about the new Batman movie when I was a kid, and I wondered if I would still like cartoons/movies and stuff as an adult.

I remember when I made that thread when I was 29 worrying about turning 30... can you believe I made that thread like 5 years ago now? WTF? It seems like only yesterday to me. I feel like my mindset is permanently stuck in in the year 2005 or something and I’ve never moved passed it.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I expect to blink and it be Christmas again. 2019 was aight.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
Powder
So tired of this place

As always, I feel Cybercubed on the passage of time stuff. It really is a surreal thing, getting older, watching cultures change, people aging, all the while feeling like you're still your 18 year old self on the inside (relatively speaking).

Anyway, 2019 has been a great year for me. I mean, in some respects, concerning health & finance, it's been a nightmare, but as far as the big picture goes, not too shabby. Tomorrow will mark 11 months of my being in the greatest relationship of my life, real talk, I found "the one", & things are spectacular. We met in 2017, became best friends, & ultimately fell in love. So happy. I traveled, I tried new things, made new friends, saw through the completion of some really cool art projects, lost a few pounds, got some holy grail collectibles, plenty good to reflect on. I am very thankful.

As for 2020, the goal is to have my partner move in & take that next step. I would also like to better myself a bit more, been finally able to pursue some treatments for a skin condition I've had, cut soda out of my diet, tryna dress nicer, just wanna look & feel good. A conscious effort to be positive has been at play too & I hope to continue that.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #7
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

2019 as a whole, has been stranded in-between being a fairly decent year, and being a bag of d*cks.

I don't know what 2020 will hold, but it better not be 2019 version 2.0.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

I feel like the entire 2010 decade just came and went. Like the early 2000’s really do feel like a long time ago now, but everything from like 2010-2019 feels like a blur. I don’t know what it is, this decade just feels like it was an extension of last decade just with the rise of cell phones and social media.

It’s strange for me too because I got my first full time job way back in 2010 and this was the first decade I was really in the workforce, but even for me it’s like...a blur. But I realize it’s different for other people who got married and/or had kids this decade, a lot of adults our age started families this decade so I guess watching your kids grow up is a different experience.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #9
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Started fine, ended bittersweet.

My father passed unexpectedly. He had been battling cancer for years and some complications during routine and non-evasive surgery resulted in catastrophic organ failure. It was four days of absolute torture waiting for something to happen.

It was about a month ago. The world as I know it has ended.

I'm running through the stages of grief on repeat.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
My father passed unexpectedly. He had been battling cancer for years and some complications during routine and non-evasive surgery resulted in catastrophic organ failure. It was four days of absolute torture waiting for something to happen.
Sorry to hear that. I lost my father to cancer myself a few years back.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:06 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
It’s so weird thinking about the teenagers who grew up in the 2010’s they’re like a whole generation removed from us. It feels weird to think they were babies back in the early 2000’s. Like I could be discussing a videogame with someone on a forum who was like an infant when I was already in High School. Very weird.

I guess it’s true what they say, “Youth is wasted on the young.” Everything our parents and grandparents told us when we were kids came to pass. It was true, all of it. I realize I’m now the same age my father was when he was coming home from work watching Star Trek or talking about the new Batman movie when I was a kid, and I wondered if I would still like cartoons/movies and stuff as an adult.

I remember when I made that thread when I was 29 worrying about turning 30... can you believe I made that thread like 5 years ago now? WTF? It seems like only yesterday to me. I feel like my mindset is permanently stuck in in the year 2005 or something and I’ve never moved passed it.
Yeah, I feel similarly to you. Back in 2009-2010 the 15 year olds were people born in 1994-1995. It was only 4-5 years after I was born. The difference wasn't that big despite some differences. Nowadays people aged 18-19 were born in 2000-2001. I'm now a full decade older than the people who are in the very lats year of their teenage years. I remember being part of the "current young generation" and our teachers and parents complaining about how we were so spoiled, disrespectful, entitled, etc.

You know what's odd? Nowadays students and teachers have more in common than ever. When I was a kid, even the younger teachers weren't into video games, anime, wrestling, etc. At least no the women. They viewed it as something childish. I had my English teacher ask me in 7th grade what the GameCube was when I mentioned I liked to play it. Thing is, she was like 29 years old at best. This was around 2003. But nowadays kids have people of my generation as teachers and discuss anime, wrestling, retrogaming, etc. with them. At this point it seems like the differences between each generation are getting smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I expect to blink and it be Christmas again. 2019 was aight.
Haha yeah. Time flies. I feel like summer just ended last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
As always, I feel Cybercubed on the passage of time stuff. It really is a surreal thing, getting older, watching cultures change, people aging, all the while feeling like you're still your 18 year old self on the inside (relatively speaking).
I don't really feel like my 18 self on the inside anymore. I definitely changed throughout the years. It's strange whenever I realise that I'm as close to 40 as I'm to 18 by now. Soon I'll stop being referred to as a "young man", "boy" and "youngster" by older people ever again and will be just referred to as "that man", "that gentleman" and "sir".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
2019 as a whole, has been stranded in-between being a fairly decent year, and being a bag of d*cks.

I don't know what 2020 will hold, but it better not be 2019 version 2.0.
Yeah pretty much that for me as well.

Quote:
I feel like the entire 2010 decade just came and went. Like the early 2000’s really do feel like a long time ago now, but everything from like 2010-2019 feels like a blur. I don’t know what it is, this decade just feels like it was an extension of last decade just with the rise of cell phones and social media.

It’s strange for me too because I got my first full time job way back in 2010 and this was the first decade I was really in the workforce, but even for me it’s like...a blur. But I realize it’s different for other people who got married and/or had kids this decade, a lot of adults our age started families this decade so I guess watching your kids grow up is a different experience.
Yes, around 2012 time sped up significantly. I was turning 22 one day and the next day I was turning 26. I barely remember what being 22, 23 and 24 years old was like.

It's not really mindblowing to me that the early 2000s were already such a long time ago, but 2009 being 10 years ago and soon 11 years ago is pretty crazy. I also remember 2005 being just 4-5 years ago, but now it's 14 years ago already and soon to be 15.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Times have changed. It’s hard to believe my generation of 30 year olds grew up with video games whereas our parents generation didn’t really. I remember my father played some NES games with me as a kid but nothing really after.

I also can’t believe our generation grew up with alternative life styles as the new norm.

Gay
Lesbian
Bisexual
Transsexual
Asexual
The third gender
No gender

And the 10+ others I’ve forgotten about. I remember when I was younger all this stuff was barely talked about and gay people were viewed as something to make fun of. Watch any older movie or TV show from the 80’s, 90’s or early 2000’s and gay people are basically the butt of every joke. Like they were made fun of all the time and it was played for laughs. Every time I see this I’m like man this joke hasn’t aged well... you can’t get away with saying that today.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I also can’t believe our generation grew up with alternative life styles as the new norm.

Gay
Lesbian
Bisexual
Transsexual
Asexual
The third gender
No gender
I've been telling you guys, the gender identity stuff is (largely) the new "cliques" for young people. It's the replacement. There really aren't any groups of skaters, jocks, goths, preps, geeks, rappers or rockers anymore like there were in the 90s to fit into, so that's become the new thing to figure out where you fit in and belong to.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Not to mention being a nerd is considered cool now and not an outcast like it once was. Now everyone talks about superheroes, comics, cartoons and video games.

I remember even back in the day adult Star Wars fans and Star Trek fans were made fun of, or people who dressed up as characters for conventions. Now it’s all mainstream. And anime’s influence hugely impacted people obsessing over characters and ships around the internet. The days of calling someone a loser with no life because they’re over 18 and still like kids franchises is pretty much over.

When I was a kid I remember any adult liking this stuff was considered a loser with no life who lives in their parents basement.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Tough break, Voltron. Sorry to hear that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Soon I'll stop being referred to as a "young man", "boy" and "youngster" by older people ever again and will be just referred to as "that man", "that gentleman" and "sir".
Do people mistake you for being a lot younger than you are?
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

It was a long hard year. But at the end of it, I was able to buy my first house, which was pretty great.

Definite highs and lows.

Congrats to you, Powder, for finding the one. And sorry to hear about your father, Voltron.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #18
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Started fine, ended bittersweet.

It was about a month ago. The world as I know it has ended.

I'm running through the stages of grief on repeat.
I'm sorry to hear this. I've been through it. Sorry, man. Losses like this - the ones that are your whole world - it's like being put in a field of waste deep mud. You're expected to drown but you just won't do it, although it's going to keep you from moving quickly and you'll never be completely clean but you will get through it.

Quote:
Look for activities that make time slow down where ever you can, because it only speeds up from there for some reason. I could speculate why that is, but it doesn't matter.

I found that... so help me this is true..... being outside doing yardwork early in the a.m. slows down time for me. I'm serious. You get lost in it when you are outside for some reason. I don't know what else to say. It's the only time that time slows down for me and resembles something that it did as a kid.

Regarding the topic at hand - I hope I can expect to significantly rearrange and readapt my life in 2020. I have a lot going on and I hope that I can make 2020 a year of significant activity.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:33 PM   #19
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Did manage to do something rather special this year, near the end of summer went and saw Jeopardy! live in the studio audience. Saw Alex Trebek, Vanna White, Harry Friedman, Jim Thornton, and the whole Jeopardy! crew in person; saw the little gallery in the back with the memorabilia, the glass case with the Emmys, the contestant podium, & of course Alex's cardboard cutout. That alone makes this year a worthwhile & memorable one, next year I'll probably go back to LA and see another show.
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #20
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I'm sorry about the loss of your father, Voltron.

My condolences are with you and your loved ones.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote