The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-21-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

How much combined total time of your life do you believe has been spent gaming?

It's impossible to know this for sure, obviously, but try to think about it for a while. Many of us have several games that we sunk 100+ hours into and that can be checked on Steam, the 3DS, the Switch and some older games also keep track of your playtime.

By adding the combined total hours I've spent playing my most played games on the Switch, the 3DS and on Steam alone plus Super Smash Bros Melee for the GC which keeps track of your total play time, I have at least 3000 hours of lifetime spent playing. 3000 hours is the equivalent of 125 full days.

But then there's all the older games I grew up playing which left no record whatsoever of how much time I've logged into. I've definitely must have spent 100+ hours in games like SMW, SMB3, OOT, ALTTP, Pokémon Red(I've played this game in about 13 different new save files), Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Smackdown vs Raw 2006, FIFA 2004, FIFA 2005, PES 5, GameCube Animal Crossing, F-Zero GX, etc. So that's at least another 1300 hours added which makes about 4300 hours of my life spent gaming. And add the combined total of several other games from my childhood and teenage years and you'll get to the 5000 hours territory.

So I'd say I've spent AT LEAST 5000 hours of my life gaming so far and counting. That's 208 days.

So yeah, at least that amount. Wouldn't be surprised if I had spent a considerable higher amount of that time instead. But I'll never know.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

Couple'a years, probably. Kinda glad there's no clock timer, I'd be so ashamed of myself.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Couple'a years, probably. Kinda glad there's no clock timer, I'd be so ashamed of myself.
At least it was time well spent!

Anyway, there's people out there who have logged 3000 hours into one game alone. Usually a game like CS or WOW which they have been playing for over a decade.
:
Old 02-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Probably a million hours, give or take.

I still to this day spend 5-6 hours a day playing videogames. Not all in a row of course, but scattered through the day (like 2 hours at a time, then 2 hours later, then another hour or two before I go to bed)

And since I'm in my mid-30's now and started playing games since I was around 3-4 years old with Mario 1 on the NES....I guess it all adds up.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:20 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

I still to this day spend 5-6 hours a day playing videogames. Not all in a row of course, but scattered through the day (like 2 hours at a time, then 2 hours later, then another hour or two before I go to bed)

And since I'm in my mid-30's now and started playing games since I was around 3-4 years old with Mario 1 on the NES....I guess it all adds up.
A million hours is impossible. Unless you're actually at least 114 years old . Look, I'm sure you've spent a ton of time gaming, but no way near one million hours. That's just mathematically impossible for a 30-something year old man.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:42 AM   #6
Icebot
Foot Elite

By looking at my Switch profile, I found out I played Splatoon 2 for 605 hours, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 290 hours, Zelda Breath of the Wild 270 hours + countless hours on offline other users on my system, Super Smash Ultimate 160 hours, Mario Odyssey 110 hours, Mario Maker 2 45 hours.

On other systems, I’d say I played Zelda Ocarina of Time about 300 to 400 hours, Super Mario 64 500 to 600 hours, Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 and World about 1,000 hours each, Zeldas 1 and 2 about 200 hours each, Mega Man 1, 2, 3 and X about 400 hours each.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:52 AM   #7
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

35years × 365days × 24hours = 306600hours. It's impressive to know that you were born (well, I'm about your age) "only" 306k hours ago though.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #8
Sumac
Banned

Not enough.

Need to spend more.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #9
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

No one here has ever heard of hyperbole, I guess.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
By looking at my Switch profile, I found out I played Splatoon 2 for 605 hours, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 290 hours, Zelda Breath of the Wild 270 hours + countless hours on offline other users on my system, Super Smash Ultimate 160 hours, Mario Odyssey 110 hours, Mario Maker 2 45 hours.

On other systems, I’d say I played Zelda Ocarina of Time about 300 to 400 hours, Super Mario 64 500 to 600 hours, Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 and World about 1,000 hours each, Zeldas 1 and 2 about 200 hours each, Mega Man 1, 2, 3 and X about 400 hours each.
300-400 hours for Ocarina of Time? I guess you must have had several different game files throughout the years.

I played the game on the N64, GameCube and 3ds. On the 3ds it only took me about 30-35 hours to best it. On the GC probably about 40? On the N64 back in the late 90s? No idea but probably spent over 100 hours on it.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Apparently not too much. Whenever the PS gives me their annual review, I only played a few hundred hours online. And that's for the whole year.

Of course it's a bit more if you factor in non-PS4 games or whatever, but not much.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:38 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

In 2020 I played 27 hours according to my year in review of the Nintendo Switch, in 2019 I played 64 hours. The 3DS and Wii U had a built in timer of how long but yeah I'd say those two year in reviews are an accurate portrayal of my gaming life, if perhaps a bit high of how much I game. I love games I just never have time to play them, they require a lot of time which I don't have since I give priority to others tuff.

I wish I had more time to play but I find other stuff to do. I think when I'm older and my body is less active I'll definitely spend more time playing video games though. Of course as a kid I played tons of games all the time since you have less responsibilities.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:20 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just for fun, I logged into my Final Fantasy XI account which I dabbled in a month ago for the first time in 10 years just for kicks. It logs playtime and all.

It says I logged 137 days in that game. Yeesh! That's 3,288 hours. Plus all of the other hundreds of hours on random RPGs and this or that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:00 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ironically enough I don't play RPG's much. My sweet spot for games are games that last 15-20 hours in single player. Occasionally I play some games that go on for 30-40 hours, but usually not much longer.

I mean I played FF7 remake for about 52 hours, that's probably the longest game I played in a good while...probably since GTA V back in 2013 I guess.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:44 AM   #15
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Just Steam (that I have since I was 13/14) have a total of 5932 hours spent counting every hour played on every game I own.
I played a ridiculous amount of hours on pretty much all Pokémon games, which will probably be around 2000 hours just them.
Played tons and tons of hours with old arcade games like Metal Slug for probably 800 hours. I have a stupidly large collection of video game experiences on Ps1, Ps2, 3DS, DS and GameBoy Advance. So, dunno, 5000 hours on everything.
I also played alot of different titles on Nes and Snes, but I don't think I ever reached a higher hour count than 200 hours (Punch-Out!! was very likely the one I played for the highest amount of hours).

The closest number I can think is something like 15.000+ hours spent on videogames in my entire life. When I turned 16 I used to play less than when I was 10 for obvious reasons (things like studying, animating, drawing, programming got in the way of me playing lots of hours).

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:56 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Just for fun, I logged into my Final Fantasy XI account which I dabbled in a month ago for the first time in 10 years just for kicks. It logs playtime and all.

It says I logged 137 days in that game. Yeesh! That's 3,288 hours. Plus all of the other hundreds of hours on random RPGs and this or that.
Wow is there that much to do in that game?
Old 03-07-2021, 10:17 PM   #17
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

According to my 3ds time tracker I've put in roughly 1,268 hours since I bought it on Black Friday 2011. Otherwise, I played games much more frequently when I was younger. Now I average 5-6 hours a month.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

If the 70-ish hours I've put into Oblivion thus far are any indication... I must have lost at least a solid couple of years to gaming.

Them RPGs'll get ya.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If the 70-ish hours I've put into Oblivion thus far are any indication... I must have lost at least a solid couple of years to gaming.

Them RPGs'll get ya.
Indeed.

We also spend a significant portion of our lives sleeping. So adding the combined total time of the time spent sleeping to the combined total time of the time spent playing videogames... how many years of our lives did we spend on those two activities alone, I wonder.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wow is there that much to do in that game?
There's a lot of jobs to level, and leveling takes time. And then there's all the rare items to camp and stuff. It appears to be much different nowadays.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote