The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2021, 12:33 AM   #1
Shark_Blade
Emperor

How about movies starring OT Turtles?

Reinvigorating the past is not something brand new, heck even Batman did it with Adam West and Burt Ward. Its periodic feel and comedy type have its charm and it’s amusing to watch.

So I’d say give the turtles a chance for it too. If they don’t want it in theatres, just release it direct to video or streaming.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:04 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wouldn't.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:09 AM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'm not against the idea, but its already been done with Turtles Forever and the Nick crossovers, the latter of which are movie length when all added together.

Maybe a movie that is not a crossover will work better.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:38 AM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Most people who want this sort of thing wouldn't really like it anyway if they actually saw it.

Here are the possible versions of it:
  1. It's literally just a kids movie emulating the show perfectly.
  2. It's a kids movie that looks like the show but deviates from it in obvious ways.
  3. It's an unironic attempt to appeal to the adults who watched the show.
  4. It's a roasting of the show.
  5. It's someone doing whatever the hell they want as long as it features the character designs from the show.

And here's why all of them would fail to meet expectations:
  1. Ironically, as perfect as that may seem, the show wasn't very good and the people watching wouldn't be able to overlook the flaws in the same way because not actually the show from their childhood. They just wouldn't be able to make the same excuses. Even if it doesn't emulate the flaws and is still otherwise accurate, it would most likely invoke the uncanny valley.
  2. The deviations would definitely turn people off. Nobody who wants the Fred Wolf show back would want to be so different they can tell, even if they haven't watched the show in thirty years.
  3. Because this approach tries to be for adults, much of it would differ in awkward ways. The Fred Wolf show was children's TV through and through, the injection of appeal to adults would just feel off. It's not hard to imagine something like that essentially being a weird funhouse mirror version of IDW with a twisted attempt to emulate the status quo of the Fred Wolf show.
  4. We have essentially seen the effects of this already and I figure it'll be the most likely scenario. In fact, if I were put in charge of making a movie like this, this is what I would do. We have seen this sort of thing in Turtles Forever, the Nick crossovers and the Funko Pop comic. We know these things are hated because they dare to point out the incompetence of the villains, slapstick fight scenes and general lack of seriousness, the Nick crossovers get a little better reputation but that is really only because they got the voice actors back, there is essentially no difference in how they're written. And I can see why this approach is what we have seen so far, the show is very obviously flawed and it's hard to help oneself from poking fun at it.
  5. This would essentially just be another reboot that is superficially similar to the show. It would be disliked for obvious reasons.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Honestly a show faithful to the OT but with more awesome and better animated fight scenes would be awesome. Most people seem to only recall season 1 or vaguely remember the show being way more action oriented than it really was, so you won't alienate that fanbase. I doubt they'll complain about the turtles doing triple somersault kicks and whatnot.

Hell, bring some of those guys that worked on Batman/TMNT on board for this one. You know how Batman fought in this slight mix between actual hand-to-hand and using his gadgets? I'm sure they can work out on some awesome fight scenes that are a mix between actual martial arts and slapstick elements.

Another thing that held them back was sharing the spotlight with another set of Turtles, where the not-so-subtle message was our Turtles were cooler, those 80's ones were lame. If they have a legit OT movie, they have no one to be compared to or forced to be played down against. They can be more themselves.

I can legit hear 80's Raph say something like "I think I used to like Shredder's plans before they were feature length!"

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Most people who want this sort of thing wouldn't really like it anyway if they actually saw it.

Here are the possible versions of it:
  1. It's literally just a kids movie emulating the show perfectly.
  2. It's a kids movie that looks like the show but deviates from it in obvious ways.
  3. It's an unironic attempt to appeal to the adults who watched the show.
  4. It's a roasting of the show.
  5. It's someone doing whatever the hell they want as long as it features the character designs from the show.

And here's why all of them would fail to meet expectations:
  1. Ironically, as perfect as that may seem, the show wasn't very good and the people watching wouldn't be able to overlook the flaws in the same way because not actually the show from their childhood. They just wouldn't be able to make the same excuses. Even if it doesn't emulate the flaws and is still otherwise accurate, it would most likely invoke the uncanny valley.
  2. The deviations would definitely turn people off. Nobody who wants the Fred Wolf show back would want to be so different they can tell, even if they haven't watched the show in thirty years.
  3. Because this approach tries to be for adults, much of it would differ in awkward ways. The Fred Wolf show was children's TV through and through, the injection of appeal to adults would just feel off. It's not hard to imagine something like that essentially being a weird funhouse mirror version of IDW with a twisted attempt to emulate the status quo of the Fred Wolf show.
  4. We have essentially seen the effects of this already and I figure it'll be the most likely scenario. In fact, if I were put in charge of making a movie like this, this is what I would do. We have seen this sort of thing in Turtles Forever, the Nick crossovers and the Funko Pop comic. We know these things are hated because they dare to point out the incompetence of the villains, slapstick fight scenes and general lack of seriousness, the Nick crossovers get a little better reputation but that is really only because they got the voice actors back, there is essentially no difference in how they're written. And I can see why this approach is what we have seen so far, the show is very obviously flawed and it's hard to help oneself from poking fun at it.
  5. This would essentially just be another reboot that is superficially similar to the show. It would be disliked for obvious reasons.
You generally make entirely too much sense for this forum.

We should start a band.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

LMAO Shredder's Revenge opened the flood gates and now everyone wants more 1987 show, I haven't seen this much hype since Nick bought the turtles in the late 00's. I'd personally love a direct to video movie, it could be a lot of fun and have comedy/action. I'd prefer it over a new season or cartoon based on 1987.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

"Facebook Randos Who Haven't Thought About TMNT Since Power Rangers Came Out" = "Everybody".

Alright. I guess.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:24 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

We should start a band.
Too bad I don't have any musical talent. I can record and edit the music, possibly even design the album cover though.

Seriously though, this whole thing with the new game is most likely just going to come and go away as fast as it came. The best case scenario I can see for this game is that it gets released, I'm guessing within three months, does moderately well, gets a few bits of DLC, maybe a sequel and that's it. I can't really imagine that it'll influence Viacom's next attempt to make a TMNT movie or show.

Right now there is that Rise movie that has already been made and the Seth Rogen movie is still in production. Let's just see what they're like first before we start gushing over some hypothetical Fred Wolf movie that sould never satisfy anyone if it ever came to be, OK?
Hahahaha!
Old 03-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

What the hell is going on?! Ever since Shredder's Revenge has been announced, these sort of threads have been popping up lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
"Facebook Randos Who Haven't Thought About TMNT Since Power Rangers Came Out" = "Everybody".

Alright. I guess.
Sounds about right.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

It's pretty obvious why, the animated trailer does admittedly look really nice, even if it says nothing about the story mode or what a Fred Wolf revival would even be. It's more or less the most shallow thing that could motivate this.

It's not really important to them what such a revival would be, not that I even think they really know for sure what they even want such a thing in the first place, just that there is a really nice looking presentation of what it could be. It's a little sad that a decent looking trailer with no real info is what got this ball rolling.

Can anyone even pitch an idea for something like this? Other than my own roasting idea featuring Karai that is?
Hahahaha!
Old 03-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Were the 60s animated movies actually in the same tone as the original show?
Old 03-12-2021, 04:45 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
What the hell is going on?! Ever since Shredder's Revenge has been announced, these sort of threads have been popping up lately.

Sounds about right.
Are we sure they're not...

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:36 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It does feel like 99% of the new users that join these forums nowadays are either plants or rejoiners.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:48 PM   #15
sdp
Megan Fox = April

plants aren't joining forums with minimum reach, they shill in places that have actual clout. 2014 was nearly a decade ago, plus most of these topics and posts are from actual members. People really are that excited about this game, it's being discussed in many boards with constant threads and the views on the trailer as well. It hit all the right chords, again we haven't seen this level of excitement since the 2012 show began.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #16
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

As someone who is more of a fan of the 2003 cartoon, I'm satisfied with the way it ended in Turtles Forever. However, I do have an itch to see how the 2003 Turtles turned out as older adults, and perhaps bring Shadow into the mix by adapting the later Mirage comics. I don't know how a revival of the 1987 cartoon would work if what most people want is a retread of the same story beats before the Red Sky seasons.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:07 PM   #17
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

No. All it would do is just further validate the OT extremists in the fandom, and the brand wouldn't grow in any way because all it would be is nostalgia pandering.

I mean come on, I enjoy the OT and I am excited about the game too, but there's no reason for it be the basis for any movies.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Were the 60s animated movies actually in the same tone as the original show?
I mean the Batman 60's movie was pretty one long-ass episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndaquilfan123 View Post
No. All it would do is just further validate the OT extremists in the fandom, and the brand wouldn't grow in any way because all it would be is nostalgia pandering.

I mean come on, I enjoy the OT and I am excited about the game too, but there's no reason for it be the basis for any movies.
I'd say it would at least fill the void that unlike say, He-Man, Transformers, Gi Joe and so forth, the 80's TMNT never had their own movie which is kinda weird cause it would made gangbusters back in the day. I guess they figured they didn't need to with the live action movies, but it still woulda been awesome to see the Turtles from the cartoon on the big screen.

I'm sure someone can come up with something high stakes enough. I'd say have Shredder and Krang succeed in bringing Earth into Dimension X and the trouble of somehow reversing this. Mix that with the Karai plot and there's your movie right there.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:25 PM   #19
Powder
So tired of this place

I'd be fine with a direct-to-digital OT movie if it were done respectfully with the right tone & humor, sure. Anything more significant than that would just detract from the brand evolving.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:35 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Since Turtles Forever and the Nick 2012 crossovers already essentially gave us that, if they make another movie it needs to be more than just Shredder/Krang.

I'm really surprised Baxter Stockman, Leatherhead and Rat King aren't brought back for these, along with General Traag and the Rock Soldiers. If they want to make another OT movie they should bring back a bunch of characters the previous crossovers haven't used.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote