The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
funatic
Mad Scientist

Have there ever been officially sanctioned TMNT weapons?

Like the title asks, are there actual steel/wooden collectible katanas, sai, nunchaku, and bo staffs branded TMNT? Or does their association with children's marketing keep it out of that department?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

I doubt it. But I've seen some very, very cool "inspired by" weapons on some of the websites we buy swords from. They come and go, though. They're generally only identifiable as "TMNT inspired" because the handles/wraps are color-coded to the appropriate Turtle, but that's still pretty awesome. I mean, otherwise they'd just as well be generic weapons, so it makes perfect sense to market them that way. Like if the handles weren't blue, how could you tell they were even "Leo's" swords, right? You could just as well buy any generic set from any number of swordmakers, and that's less fun.

But yeah, I don't think anything officially licensed has ever been done, and probably won't be. It may very well have to do with the fact that it's a "kids' property". But I mean, they'd be more expensive, anyway, since like anything else you partly pay for the brand name on the sticker.

I'm definitely gonna buy a set of the "Leonardo" swords one day, if nothing else, since my wife and I sorta collect swords. Think last time I saw them pop up it was around $100 for both. Stainless steel, of course. I don't see why anything "officially licensed" would even be necessary for things like this when the off-brand "Inspired By" weapons you can buy are just as good as anything licensed would be.

I mean, our He-Man, Legend of Zelda, Xena and Thundercats swords aren't "official" but they're absolutely perfect down to the last detail. I can't see how being licensed would make them any better, but they'd definitely cost more than what we spent on these.

So if you see a set of "Inspired By" TMNT weapons for cheap, may as well get 'em, that's what I say. YOLO, baby!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Does this 2016 movie replica sword count if it was going to be a legit one made of high carbon steel, etc?

(Don't believe that "sold out" claim though, none were sold, they canceled it without any notice whatsoever. Still a little sore over that.)

edit: Same company did these sai for Raph that most have probably seen images of. They were for sale for a long time... I guess they'd made a ton of them. Prob not as 'legit' as the sword, but still metal and leather.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-02-2020 at 03:16 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
But I've seen some very, very cool "inspired by" weapons on some of the websites we buy swords from. They come and go, though. They're generally only identifiable as "TMNT inspired" because the handles/wraps are color-coded to the appropriate Turtle, but that's still pretty awesome.
Have any examples to share? I'm mostly looking for some Raph-inspired sai, so I won't buy out the Leo katanas that pop up out from under you. Now that I think of it, there must be some red Elektra sai flooding the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Does this 2016 movie replica sword count if it was going to be a legit one made of high carbon steel, etc?

(Don't believe that "sold out" claim though, none were sold, they canceled it without any notice whatsoever. Still a little sore over that.)
Yeah I'd say that counts. Nice find! Too bad it was never made.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Sadly, nothing specifically TMNT-inspired pops up for me on Google at the moment, if I include "TMNT" in the search bar I mostly get just toys for cosplay. Like I said, they come and go so I guess the place I saw them originally isn't carrying them anymore.

I wish I could remember the specific website where I saw the steel replicas originally. I only found them by accident while I was looking for other stuff, and it was a couple of years ago.

Sais are very prevalent, though, it's a very popular generic weapon. While I was clicking around I saw a bunch of pairs for about $40-75. That ain't bad! Any of them would be great if you were making a TMNT display or whatever. If you wanted red wraps you could just as easily do that yourself. Some of them even come with a display base or case. Neat!

Katanas are mostly sold single for between $40-150 depending on how elaborate you wanna get. This looks like one Leo would use, for sure:
Spoiler:

https://www.newegg.com/p/0BN-01M1-00...&source=region

I know some people are sticklers for accuracy, so I guess a ninjato would be more "authentic" or whatever. But they seem to be more expensive than katana (around $80 and up) while ALSO being sold as singles. So whatever swords a person prefers Leo to wield, if you want a set you should expect to pay $100-200 for a set of two. Which ain't too bad, just saying, be prepared.

Bo staffs are $30 and up. Most don't have wraps, you can do that yourself however you choose.

Nunchaku/"Nunchucks" seem like the tough one. I tried searching for either using terms like "authentic" but not a lot comes up. Mostly just foam ones or toys. I saw a couple of aluminum sets but doesn't look like too much is out there in wood, which is what Mikey is shown using. So I don't know about that one.

Hope that gives you some ideas! All I did was go into Google Shopping and search around. Seems like anyone except a Mikey fan should have no problem getting exactly what they're looking for, and for fairly cheap, it's just a matter of personal visual preference. I also did not search Etsy, but that's a great place to look as well.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Same company did these sai for Raph that most have probably seen images of. They were for sale for a long time... I guess they'd made a ton of them. Prob not as 'legit' as the sword, but still metal and leather.
Oh dang I missed this before. So there does exist at least one licensed sai replica. Now that I see it I think I may have actually seen this in person at NYCC a few years ago and it quickly left my memory banks due to underslept con-brain. I also remember it being way out of my price range.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:33 AM   #7
alien_ken
Thug

https://allninjagear.com/teenage-mut...eonardo-katana
alien_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:36 AM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

It would have to be out of stock.

I would crime for that thing.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:41 PM   #9
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Like the title asks, are there actual steel/wooden collectible katanas, sai, nunchaku, and bo staffs branded TMNT? Or does their association with children's marketing keep it out of that department?

I have a full weapons display on my wall over my mancave window. Real wooden chucks, 16" metal sais, and pretty close to movie accurate katanas for Leo. The staff was the hard part actually. Hard to get someone to sell you a real one cause I guess its too large to ship.

I also have my casey hockey mask and foot bandannas wrapped and hanging from the display.

Everything except the staff was ordered from Amazon. lol

Here is a link from my Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ee31JZGX...jpg&name=large

Amazon Links for purchase:
Sais: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1
Swords: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Display: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cant find the chucks or the Staff in my orders

Last edited by Coro; 08-07-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #10
funatic
Mad Scientist

Nice display thanks for sharing!
Old 12-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #11
funatic
Mad Scientist

cheapest price I've ever seen for those Raphael sai: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UU1UZ5E/ (I've been watching closely since I've made this thread.) Only 2 sets left!
Old 12-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #12
funatic
Mad Scientist

Christmas Came Early! (can we petition to get Raph to be the official mascot of Christmas with his color scheme?)

Old 12-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
After Turtlemania ‘90, TMNT became extremely child-friendly. For those that do not remember, children were being sent to the Hospital after their siblings and friends practiced the moves featured in TMNT The Movie on those children during Turtlemania. I doubt we will ever see sanctioned TMNT weapons.

Here’s what Turtlemania ‘90 was like in Australia: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Cs0rPk2aE
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Christmas Came Early! (can we petition to get Raph to be the official mascot of Christmas with his color scheme?)

https://i.postimg.cc/T1vqcFQY/IMG-6862.jpg
Sure, he aught to be. Also, those are nice looking, I hadn't seen any 'real life' images of those other than stock pics. Grats on snagging them.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:57 PM   #15
Roseangelo
Emperor

Oh man, if there were a legit TMNT bo staff that I could use in karate, I would get it so fast. As it is, I always use the green bo we have in the dojo as much as possible, and my instructor knows exactly why. ^_^
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #16
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
After Turtlemania ‘90, TMNT became extremely child-friendly. For those that do not remember, children were being sent to the Hospital after their siblings and friends practiced the moves featured in TMNT The Movie on those children during Turtlemania. I doubt we will ever see sanctioned TMNT weapons.
Except those sai I just posted! The sai themselves are chrome-plated steel and removable, so technically they are officially licensed TMNT weapons by Nick and Viacom, and there's multiple warnings that "this product is intended for mature adults over 18 years of age".

Quote:
Sure, he aught to be. Also, those are nice looking, I hadn't seen any 'real life' images of those other than stock pics. Grats on snagging them.
They exceeded my expectations for sure. Not sure if the pic relates it but this is a 1:1 display, like I literally have Raph's severed hands coming out of my dresser now, lol. It's very heavy/sturdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Oh man, if there were a legit TMNT bo staff that I could use in karate, I would get it so fast. As it is, I always use the green bo we have in the dojo as much as possible, and my instructor knows exactly why. ^_^
Haha that's awesome. I have a feeling this was intended to be the first in a line of 4 licensed weapons but since they're still selling this set (which was limited to 1000) 5 years after release for 1/3 MSRP I think they probably scrapped the rest of the line. A shame, I would have loved to see the others.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #17
Sumac
Banned

That's some weird sais.
Or they are supposed to be that way?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:25 PM   #18
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
That's some weird sais.
Or they are supposed to be that way?
In what way are they weird? Or are you just used to seeing them shown as a bladed weapon?

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #19
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
In what way are they weird? Or are you just used to seeing them shown as a bladed weapon?
Yeah. That.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #20
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Except those sai I just posted! The sai themselves are chrome-plated steel and removable, so technically they are officially licensed TMNT weapons by Nick and Viacom, and there's multiple warnings that "this product is intended for mature adults over 18 years of age".
Those are neat. Hopefully, Leonardo’s katana blades are next.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote