The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: In retrospect, how bad was it?
Not bad at all. 1 2.56%
Not that bad. 5 12.82%
Somewhat bad. 4 10.26%
Just bad. 6 15.38%
Pretty bad. 5 12.82%
Really bad. 10 25.64%
Awful. 15 38.46%
The worst 14 35.90%
Might work with the alteration you suggested. 1 2.56%
Might work a different alteration. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

"Learning it from a book"

So while becoming martial arts master from a book is kinda dumb it's not as offensive in retrospect, the most offensive aspect isn't so much that Splinter did it but rather that he did because he thought it was a good parenting guide. Sure, a book alone isn't going to make a master but it's at least going to get you started on the basics, that's what an educational book is for.

Alone this explaination for "How does a rat know martial arts?" isn't very satisfying, but I think it could be combined with the original explaination to justify the perceived flaw of "Rats can't learn from seeing someone train!". I think "He saw Hamato Yoshi train, then supplemented that with teachning tools like books", might be the the most satisfying compromise between keeping the original origin and alleviating the questionable logic.

That way you don't have introduce reincarnation if you don't like it, nor do have to jump through hoops explaining how the same exact event caused a man to transform into a rat and turtles into humanoids.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:36 AM   #2
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yeah, the book wasn't as offensive as the lack of Hamato Yoshi/actual reason for hating Shredder was.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

You are NOT going to learn to be a martial arts master from a how to book. It's extremely stupid, but equally as stupid as the rat learning martial arts from watching a martial arts practitioner from his cage.

Either make Yoshi become splinter, have splinter be Yoshi's reincarnation, or have splinter mutate with Yoshi alive, learn martial arts from Yoshi, then shredder kills Yoshi

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 11-03-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Reading

A Splinter that starts as a rad should never be able to learn reading alone.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
or have splinter mutate with yoshi alive, learn martial arts from yoshi, then shredder kills yoshi
I've been saying this for years. SO much story potential in having Yoshi train Splinter and showing them waging a two-man war on the Foot for x years before he dies and Splinter happens upon the turtles.

I hope a future version does this.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Had to go with "awful." As much as I'd gladly give it "the worst," there could have been a worse path, like, say, "I learned it in a vision/dream." Book method is just really really lame. (Though cutting Yoshi out is The Worst.)

I mean, at that point he probably can't even read in any language. (Or shouldn't be able to.) Hard to believe you're going to translate legit skills through a few basic diagram images.

Never was a big fan of him learning through mimicry either and prefer the Yoshi is Splinter route. But Yoshi knowing Splinter as a mutant would be an intersting take on it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-01-2017 at 12:32 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
You are NOT going to learn to be a martial arts master from a how to book. It's extremely stupid, but equally as to as the rat learning martial arts from watching a martial arts practitioner from his cage.

Either make Yoshi become splinter, have splinter be yoshi's reincarnation, or have splinter mutate with yoshi alive, learn martial arts from yoshi, then shredder kills yoshi
Honestly, I think the "Yoshi mutates into Splinter" thing seems to operate on convoluted logic that's not worth the effort, it's pretty much pointless in light of the reincarnation origin.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I've been saying this for years. SO much story potential in having Yoshi train Splinter and showing them waging a two-man war on the Foot for x years before he dies and Splinter happens upon the turtles.

I hope a future version does this.
That's not bad, man.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's not bad, man.
Yeah, I too think it'd be interesting, but how would a small rat like Splinter be able to fight? Would he get mutated before the Turtles? If so how?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Maybe a second ill fated run-in with the same ones behind his own mutation... the Turtles end up innocent victims (or purposeful victims?) and, seeing these innocent kids who didn't ask for this, he sympathizes with their situation and takes them under his wing. Esp as they have no one else in the world to look after them.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
ToTheNines
[sic]

Angry

Quote:
That's not bad, man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yeah, I too think it'd be interesting, but how would a small rat like Splinter be able to fight? Would he get mutated before the Turtles? If so how?
You would have to bring in the Utroms way early. Perhaps Yoshi has a day job, but moon lights as a Guardian. After Shredder tracks him down and kills Shen, he's forced to hide/live in the TCRI building. From there, Splinter is either accidentally mutated or Yoshi goes rouge and mutates him himself after the Utroms refuse to aid him in his revenge on Saki.

Then years later after Yoshi is dead, you can keep the TCRI truck accident origin, or have Splinter break into TCRI and steal mutagen so as to recruit soldiers into his vendetta, just as he was by Yoshi.

Definitely makes their connection stronger and makes sense of Splinter's mastery of ninjutsu.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's like Stick and Stone, before they ever knew there'd be a Daredevil. Or 4 Daredevils, in this case.

* disclaimer: I really can't pretend to know much about Daredevil's actual mythology beyond the cliff notes.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #13
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
You would have to bring in the Utroms way early. Perhaps Yoshi has a day job, but moon lights as a Guardian. After Shredder tracks him down and kills Shen, he's forced to hide/live in the TCRI building. From there, Splinter is either accidentally mutated or Yoshi goes rouge and mutates him himself after the Utroms refuse to aid him in his revenge on Saki.

Then years later after Yoshi is dead, you can keep the TCRI truck accident origin, or have Splinter break into TCRI and steal mutagen so as to recruit soldiers into his vendetta, just as he was by Yoshi.
That...is actually kind of brilliant. Especially the idea of Yoshi deliberately mutating himself. Though he'd have to know he could be mutated, which means the Utroms are already experimenting with mutation. So why would the Utroms be doing deliberately mutating things at TCRI? And why would they not save one of their guardians from injury? He wouldn't exactly be truly replaceable, as they'd have to put a lot of energy into finding someone who can keep their existence a secret.

Though, keeping in Mirage fashion, but fixing things up a little, the mutation is still accidental, but they give Yoshi shelter where Saki can't find him, in the TCRI basement. It's just a question of how the turtles get involved. Maybe they're a result of the Utroms trying to figure out what happened to Yoshi, using Leatherhead and the turtles to test it. When they realize the five reptiles become sapient, they give the turtles to Yoshi as companions and keep Leatherhead with them for safety. Maybe there can be a nod to the Mondo Gecko episode of the FW series and have Michelangelo as the only one remembering there was a fifth animal that got mutated.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 10-01-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #14
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Oddly enough I did something along those lines in my Some Other World tale, where Yoshi deliberately mutated himself (and later the turtles) as a means of getting revenge on Saki after Saki forced him out of the Foot because he(Yoshi) was turning it into a gang of thugs and murderers- though it was a Mirror-verse type of story where Splinter and the turtles are actually the villains. Saki gave him a choice of honorable death or life in the shape of the monster he truly was, and Yoshi took the mutagen and ran. Shredder was allies with Krang who was a scientist and inventor in the story. Splinter wanted to use the turtles as his own personal assassins to kill Saki, among other things. Really need to finish that one....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #15
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

In film that was already terrible and considered one of the worst iterations to date, the whole “learned martial arts from a book” thing somehow managed to stand out if only for how utterly stupid the idea is.

What bonehead thought it was a good idea? And who was actually stupid enough to go along with it? That’s what I want to know.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #16
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
In film that was already terrible and considered one of the worst iterations to date, the whole “learned martial arts from a book” thing somehow managed to stand out if only for how utterly stupid the idea is.

What bonehead thought it was a good idea? And who was actually stupid enough to go along with it? That’s what I want to know.
Truth be told it was done before on the franchise, that's how Karai learned in the IDW comics, at least as the basis of her training...
Old 10-02-2017, 02:41 AM   #17
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
Truth be told it was done before on the franchise, that's how Karai learned in the IDW comics, at least as the basis of her training...
That's completely different though. You're comparing it between a homeless person that have no prior connections to Martial Arts, Shinobi no Jutsu or Japanese culture in general, finds a book in another language with super simplified artworks.

Compared to Karai who's ancestry lies in a Ninja Clan with the scrolls and probably still someone that holds the oral traditions and the funds to hire professionals to recreate whatever techniques the Foot had or supplement with other schools techniques to fill in the gaps.

And she had the ghost of Shredder to help her, plus iirc Karai's dad Yori was the one who made the Clan into corrupt business men instead of hired pajamas mercenaries, so it's not that far off that some Clan members still knew the "old way" since what, the Foot Clan wasn't ninjas for 20-30 odd years?
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:28 AM   #18
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

And most importantly, Karai was a human who could more fully comprehend what she was looking at, and was able to seek out other forms of martial arts for mentorship.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:57 AM   #19
Chris
Mad Scientist

Yeah it was a bad idea made worse by the fact it was done because they skipped over the entire Yoshi/Saki feud because god forbid character motivations/character development and plot take away screen time from action and explosions.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:58 AM   #20
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
It's like Stick and Stone, before they ever knew there'd be a Daredevil. Or 4 Daredevils, in this case.

* disclaimer: I really can't pretend to know much about Daredevil's actual mythology beyond the cliff notes.
Right. The Chaste and The Hand had been at it for centuries, if not longer.

While the Foot has a long history, the Oroku-Hamato feud is always relatively young. It would be cool to add an extra layer to that. Also makes sense of Splinter having a Japanese accent, and such reverence for Yoshi as a father figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
That...is actually kind of brilliant. Especially the idea of Yoshi deliberately mutating himself. Though he'd have to know he could be mutated, which means the Utroms are already experimenting with mutation. So why would the Utroms be doing deliberately mutating things at TCRI? And why would they not save one of their guardians from injury? He wouldn't exactly be truly replaceable, as they'd have to put a lot of energy into finding someone who can keep their existence a secret.

Though, keeping in Mirage fashion, but fixing things up a little, the mutation is still accidental, but they give Yoshi shelter where Saki can't find him, in the TCRI basement. It's just a question of how the turtles get involved. Maybe they're a result of the Utroms trying to figure out what happened to Yoshi, using Leatherhead and the turtles to test it. When they realize the five reptiles become sapient, they give the turtles to Yoshi as companions and keep Leatherhead with them for safety. Maybe there can be a nod to the Mondo Gecko episode of the FW series and have Michelangelo as the only one remembering there was a fifth animal that got mutated.
I'm talking about Yoshi mutating his pet rat, not himself. But you're right, the Utroms wouldn't be indiscriminately mutating stuff, or leaving ooze just laying about. But Yoshi would definitely start asking questions and getting ideas after meeting Leatherhead.

Tags
learning it from a book