Notices

Old 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM   #1
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

God of War inspired Last Ronin Game in Development

Breaking from Polygon today.

Beloved TMNT graphic novel The Last Ronin is becoming a video game

Quote:
A new, very different style of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game is currently in development: an adaptation of The Last Ronin, the 2020 graphic novel that told a grim, futuristic story about the turtles.

Like the comic, The Last Ronin video game adaptation will be a darker, more mature take on the typically colorful Ninja Turtles, according to Doug Rosen, senior vice president for games and emerging media at Paramount Global, the rights holders for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In an interview with Polygon last week, Rosen likened the upcoming third-person action role-playing game to Sony’s recent God of War titles and said it will be authentic to the story of The Last Ronin arc, which is set in a future where only one of the turtles has survived.

While other TMNT games, like last year’s Shredder’s Revenge, are typically about playing as all four turtles (and sometimes their allies Splinter, April O’Neil, and Casey Jones), The Last Ronin will be a primarily a single-character game. Though Rosen posited that other characters could be playable in flashback sequences, similar to how the comic series plays out, the primary action is said to center on the only surviving turtle.
Looks to be still in development and the "few years off from release" worries me a bit, but exciting news!
Old 03-23-2023, 09:49 AM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

lol holy crap. I told y'all TLR would be huge for the brand.

I got a surprising amount of blowback here which is why I'm tooting my horn.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:53 AM   #3
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

It was only a matter of time.

It just hope that Abby Anderson doesn’t appear and smash Michelangelo’s head in with a golf club.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:54 AM   #4
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

The "there are opportunities for multiple TMNT games aimed at both young and more mature age groups, and that Paramount can take “multiple approaches [to the franchise], and not dial back to make the game something it shouldn’t be” part of the interview in the article sounds very promising too.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:54 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

This is going to keep escalating. An animated adaption is already in the works, I guarantee. We may even get a premium series or movie at some point.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:04 AM   #6
Allio
Foot Elite

My favorite part of the game was when Mikey said “it isn’t about the last ronin, it was about the last Ron-us”
Old 03-23-2023, 10:20 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
This is going to keep escalating. An animated adaption is already in the works, I guarantee. We may even get a premium series or movie at some point.
It'll probably get a quick adaption like all the DC movies and the Batman vs TMNT movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:36 AM   #8
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It'll probably get a quick adaption like all the DC movies and the Batman vs TMNT movie.
I expect something like that too, but it needs a bigger budget. Those recent DC movies look and sound cheap. Maybe a more premium series for Paramount+ or something can be worked out.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:55 AM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I expect something like that too, but it needs a bigger budget. Those recent DC movies look and sound cheap. Maybe a more premium series for Paramount+ or something can be worked out.
It'll be exactly like those, and the animated adaption probably won't be 1:1 with the comic but condense or change things, same as the Batman/TMNT crossover movie.

Just expect a straight to DVD/streaming movie adaption of it at most.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:16 AM   #10
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
It'll be exactly like those, and the animated adaption probably won't be 1:1 with the comic but condense or change things, same as the Batman/TMNT crossover movie.

Just expect a straight to DVD/streaming movie adaption of it at most.
It's a different studio so we really don't have a point of comparison in regards to budget or production.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:51 AM   #11
Dpooly84
Banned

I'm all in for this! Let's go
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:55 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
Looks to be still in development and the "few years off from release" worries me a bit, but exciting news!
Might be cool. Seems like the kind of game that runs the risk of overpromising, will miss a few release dates, then run out of money and be dumped out without much fanfare but with bugs.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:57 AM   #13
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Essentially most AAA titles then, haha.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:06 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

This game won't be out for 3-4 years if it's a real AAA game and not some short thing. By then The Last Ronin comic will he a distant memory, I have no idea why they think interest in the comic will he around another 4 years from now.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:19 PM   #15
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
This game won't be out for 3-4 years if it's a real AAA game and not some short thing. By then The Last Ronin comic will he a distant memory, I have no idea why they think interest in the comic will he around another 4 years from now.
I don’t see the issue. The comic may still be around then, as it’s an ongoing universe now. They are looking at the hardcover as an “evergreen book” and you can’t blame them. It’s still selling incredibly well. Better than any other tmnt comic ever.

There is also the fact that it’ll still be a tmnt property, so it’s marketable even if TLR disappears tomorrow, which it won’t. But your comment is interesting.
Maybe they have even more planned for the universe than they are letting on.

Either way, this is a good route to take the video game because they are aiming it at older fans, which TLR is suited for.

Also, I get the feeling they haven’t chosen a developer yet and it’s hard to get too excited until we know. This feels like a way to drum up excitement and secure a partner.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:21 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I don’t see the issue. The comic may still be around then, as it’s an ongoing universe now. They are looking at the hardcover as an “evergreen book” and you can’t blame them. It’s still selling incredibly well. Better than any other tmnt comic ever.

There is also the fact that it’ll still be a tmnt property, so it’s marketable even if TLR disappears tomorrow, which it won’t. But your comment is interesting.
Maybe they have even more planned for the universe than they are letting on.

Either way, this is a good route to take the video game because they are aiming it at older fans, which TLR is suited for.
IDW as a whole might not even exist 4 years from now. Also I assume after the prequel comic ends that will be it for this universe. There's not much else they can do with it since all the Turtles are dead and further prequels would be absurd.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:24 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
IDW as a whole might not even exist 4 years from now. Also I assume after the prequel comic ends that will be it for this universe. There's not much else they can do with it since all the Turtles are dead and further prequels would be absurd.
I'd be positive the long-term goal is to eventually just focus on the new generation of TMNT it introduced.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:19 PM   #18
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

I WILL KILL THE TURTLES! GRRRR

https://wccftech.com/teenage-mutant-...re-god-of-war/
Old 03-23-2023, 04:43 PM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Neat!! Not much of a gamer so unsure if I'll ever get the chance to try it out (unless its available via computer and I have an updated system by then), but will definitely check out people's game play videos. Good to see it reach broader attention, and maybe grab some further attention for TMNT, esp for more mature content, in the process.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:46 PM   #20
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
No, “TLR 2 “ has already been confirmed.

It’s the best selling book IDW has ever made. It’s not going away even if IDW collapses. The book is a best seller.