The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 12-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

Ah, that is a decently tough game but the Doomsday fight is all just timing. He's actually really easy if you remember to save all of your Super Punches for him and not waste them earlier against the grunt enemies. Hit him with a couple of those as soon as the fight starts and he's a breeze. The last two stages are by far the hardest; f*cking Kryptonite EVERYWHERE.

I do confess that I've never actually finished that one without using a cheat that refills your Life bar. BUT, I've only ever needed it for the final Boss Fight against Cyborg Superman. As a kid - not knowing there even was a cheat - I could consistently get to the final Boss fight but couldn't beat it. Cyborg Superman is MERCILESS, you can barely even get close to him let alone land a hit. I'm assuming the developers knew that, too, thus why they included the Life Refill cheat. I've never seen ANYONE, fan or reviewer, say they managed to beat it without using the cheat; most people will flat-out admit that last Boss fight is impossible to beat fairly. I agree the game is pretty much impossible to finish without the cheat, but I swear it's only because of that one fight.

Still the best Superman console game, though. Even though that mostly has to do with Superman Returns needing a bit more work. Seriously, THAT game had a lot of good things going for it and it's a shame it got rushed out half-finished because otherwise it really could've been something special. It does more Right than Wrong, especially for a movie-based game - oddly enough, it has like nothing at all to do with the movie and has a lot more to do with the comics than anything - but the combat is clunky and there are some game-breaking glitches that kind of ruin it. Like sometimes it refuses to Save, and that's pretty f*cking important.

It ain't "bad", though. Soup-to-nuts, SR might actually be the "best" Superman game sort of by default. But it's still far from what it could've/should've been.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #22
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Seriously, THAT game had a lot of good things going for it and it's a shame it got rushed out half-finished because otherwise it really could've been something special.
I picked that one up for the PS2 through some kind of super cheap, used Blockbuster game sort of buy. I never got into to it to actually play much of the campaign, but man I spent a few hours just flying around and having fun.

Seriously the flight mechanics in that were awesome and when he'd reach that super sonic speed that air burst and boom with the blurry camera was awesome. Thinking about it now, I want to go turn it on and just fly around.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #23
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

I saw the Afterlife movie 2 days ago it was fun! And with lot of action. If the rumors are true then the next game must be based on this movie becuase all previous games were based on the first 3 movies.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:58 AM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I picked that one up for the PS2 through some kind of super cheap, used Blockbuster game sort of buy. I never got into to it to actually play much of the campaign, but man I spent a few hours just flying around and having fun.

Seriously the flight mechanics in that were awesome and when he'd reach that super sonic speed that air burst and boom with the blurry camera was awesome. Thinking about it now, I want to go turn it on and just fly around.
Oh, for sure. I ripped the "Superman Returns" Soundtrack to my 360 (since EA was too cheap to pay for the music and thus the game used some generic knockoff stuff) and there's times when it's fun to just sort of crank up the music and fly around at top speed.

It's not a bad game at all, just pretty thin, content-wise. It had the biggest open-world of any sandbox game ever made up to that point, but there's a surprising dearth of stuff to actually do and the post-game content repeats the same few missions a lot. It actually had the exact same mechanics as the Ghostbusters game, insofar as switching "weapons" on the fly to battle various color-coded enemies in groups. "Heat Vision on the Red enemies, Freeze Breath on the Blue ones, etc." and it worked pretty well. I liked the mix of different stuff, like sometimes you have to stop a small army of robots or aliens tearing up downtown and sometimes you have to go put out a burning skyscraper. Sometimes you have to do both at once. Sometimes you have the choice of putting out the fire with your Freeze Breath, OR just throwing a fire truck or water tower at the problem and calling it a day. That was neat, too.

Really, my only big problems with the game as a whole are that it's glitchy (as stated, some copies have a glitch where the game simply refuses to save data at some random point in time, and that's pretty damning), but also that the hand-to-hand combat mechanics are clunky. Brawling and trying to pick things up are more difficult than they ought to be, and you have to do both quite a lot. But flying around and zapping stuff with heat vision, all that is golden.

It's not a "bad" game at all but it's got some problems and definitely needed more time in the oven. As can be said about almost all movie-based games. Problem was that one was already delayed by quite a bit by the time it had actually come out, and by the time it did the movie's tepid performance pretty much killed any enthusiasm or interest in the game, despite its early pre-release hype. Game Informer, for example, did a gigantic multi-page cover story on the game months before its release, and then when the game finally shipped many months later the whole world was like "Oh, I forgot that game was even a thing" because the movie did mediocre AND the game was late.

But on the whole it's worth playing through at least once. It's pretty short, not too difficult, and it does give you a pretty good feeling of "Being Superman", more than any other games have managed to at any rate. It just lacks polish, that's really the main thing "wrong" with it. It's fine.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:14 AM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Oh, for sure. I ripped the "Superman Returns" Soundtrack to my 360 (since EA was too cheap to pay for the music and thus the game used some generic knockoff stuff) and there's times when it's fun to just sort of crank up the music and fly around at top speed.

It's not a bad game at all, just pretty thin, content-wise. It had the biggest open-world of any sandbox game ever made up to that point, but there's a surprising dearth of stuff to actually do and the post-game content repeats the same few missions a lot. It actually had the exact same mechanics as the Ghostbusters game, insofar as switching "weapons" on the fly to battle various color-coded enemies in groups. "Heat Vision on the Red enemies, Freeze Breath on the Blue ones, etc." and it worked pretty well. I liked the mix of different stuff, like sometimes you have to stop a small army of robots or aliens tearing up downtown and sometimes you have to go put out a burning skyscraper. Sometimes you have to do both at once. Sometimes you have the choice of putting out the fire with your Freeze Breath, OR just throwing a fire truck or water tower at the problem and calling it a day. That was neat, too.

Really, my only big problems with the game as a whole are that it's glitchy (as stated, some copies have a glitch where the game simply refuses to save data at some random point in time, and that's pretty damning), but also that the hand-to-hand combat mechanics are clunky. Brawling and trying to pick things up are more difficult than they ought to be, and you have to do both quite a lot. But flying around and zapping stuff with heat vision, all that is golden.

It's not a "bad" game at all but it's got some problems and definitely needed more time in the oven. As can be said about almost all movie-based games. Problem was that one was already delayed by quite a bit by the time it had actually come out, and by the time it did the movie's tepid performance pretty much killed any enthusiasm or interest in the game, despite its early pre-release hype. Game Informer, for example, did a gigantic multi-page cover story on the game months before its release, and then when the game finally shipped many months later the whole world was like "Oh, I forgot that game was even a thing" because the movie did mediocre AND the game was late.

But on the whole it's worth playing through at least once. It's pretty short, not too difficult, and it does give you a pretty good feeling of "Being Superman", more than any other games have managed to at any rate. It just lacks polish, that's really the main thing "wrong" with it. It's fine.
That's awesome. I literally spent 95% of my time with it just flying around. I played enough of it that I think there was a level where you fought Mongul on a domed spaceship or something like that, which unless I'm wildly misremembering, was awesome that they put Mongul in the "movie's Universe". After that, like you said I remember a burning building and some robots in the streets and somewhere there I stopped playing the campaign and spent all sorts of time just flying places.

I've got a pretty cool PS2 setup with a pound cable in my "man cave" and I'm sure I still have the game. I have had some thing in my head for several years now about gaming and I have a hard time rationalizing any gaming time anymore but I should plow through some PS2 games for an evening soon. Even if only to fly around. Actually, I bought several DC PS2 games when I picked up that pound cable a while back and one of them was (I think) Superman Shadow of Apokolips. I haven't even booted it up yet. It's been sitting here for at least a year.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:31 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

https://www.darkhorizons.com/hudson-...tbusters-game/

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-22-2022 at 11:11 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:31 PM   #27
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Internet has been having problems but I was able to see the trailer.

Looks really good. I like that it’s loosely in continuity with Afterlife. I say loosely because games typically aren’t connected and the new recruits are us.

I really hope they do not try to introduce a new team in the next movie. It makes sense to have it match that setup though.

I want the movies to relocate Ray’s Occult next to the firehouse now. I like that idea. Ray looks like Jim Belushi to me. This model does not look like Dan Aykroyd. Hope they fix that.

Also it’s been confirmed apparently there’s no driving stages. That’s disappointing. There should have been one in the 2009 game too. How do you skip such an obvious thing to include?
Old 03-22-2022, 10:48 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

We can look at Predator: Hunting Grounds (which I personally enjoy a lot, play quite a bit when I just want a fun experience for 10-15 minutes, less if the Predator wins) for almost exactly what to expect in this.

The way it works in Predator: first of all this is a multiplayer-only game. There was talk about maybe a single-player bots mode, but it never happened and I don't think it's coming by this point. There are about 5 or 6 maps. It's set in different spots in the jungle. Decent sized maps. With buildings and such in them, caves here and there, cliffs. You join the game either as a Fire Team member (which you can customize about 10 different templates of, including Arnold 1987 and Arnold present day, the chick from Predators, and Marshawn Lynch for some reason) or the Predator (which you can also customize, including almost all the Predators in all the movies, even the AVP ones). Usually you can "find" a game within about a minute as a Fire team member, or after about 7 minutes if you really want to play as the Predator. If you're playing as a Fire Team member, as you wait for the game to load you and the 3 other Fire Team members (real players, this is a multiplayer-ONLY game) are given a mission. Stuff like, "You and collect the stolen data from some pirates and make it to the Ex-Fil point" where the chopper comes and gets you. Meanwhile the Predator (also played by a player) is trying to kill you. As long as at least one player completes the mission and makes it to the Ex-Fil point, you win and the Predator loses. Also, killing the Predator is risky because if you don't quickly disable his self-destruct, he can blow all/most of you up. The missions are all self-contained and do not amount to an overall story of any kind, though the more you do the more "Dutch tapes" you get, which lets you listen to Arnold basically narrate his life story since the first movie and now. Every month or so they add new DLC for $5-10 a pop that's usually either a new playable Predator or a new Fire Team skin.

So this game. It'll be the same thing, almost. Join up as a Ghostbuster or a Ghost. If you're a Ghostbuster (and I'm guessing you can customize your Ghostbuster and eventually they'll offer DLC templates to play as 1984 Ghostbusters as well as 2021 Ghostbusters... and probably even 2016 Ghostbusters because they don't want to piss off those fine people), then you wait in a loading lobby and are given some kind of ghost-busting mission. Like in a haunted mansion, or a ship or something. Bust those ghosts and clear the area! That kind of stuff. Or you can play as the Ghost (clearly there must be some kind of "Main Ghost" in every map, unless they'd allow 4 Ghostbusters and 4 playable Ghosts... but surely there'd be more than 4 Ghosts in a map because that'd be pretty weak) and basically... harass the players? It'd be a little weird if they allow you to kill the Ghostbusters as a Ghost. But yeah, just like Hunting Grounds. 5 or 6 main maps with maybe 12 random Ghostbusting missions you and 3 other players and in you go. Anyone expecting some kind of over-arching story is gonna be disappointed. Maybe like Hunting Grounds, you can collect the "Venkman Tapes" if you do enough missions, with Bill Murray filling us in on what Venkman did between 1991 and Afterlife).

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-22-2022 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:53 PM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post

Also it’s been confirmed apparently there’s no driving stages. That’s disappointing. There should have been one in the 2009 game too. How do you skip such an obvious thing to include?
For the same reason it took until the fourth Arkham game to have a drivable Batmobile.

Because development is hard and resources are limited. You can focus everything you have on one mechanic and making that mechanic as tight as it can possibly be, OR you can split the difference and end up with two separate game mechanics and have neither one ultimately feel as satisfying as it should.

I guess an example would be the "Batman Begins" game that EA did. It was 99% a stealth/action game, except for two levels where they had a Batmobile driving sequence. Now, I loved it, and I thought that it was a nice deviation from the main game, but most people did not appreciate it. They said it was tacked-on and unnecessary, and also apparently they ripped off the mechanic from another driving game and people whined about that, too. So to ME, I thought it was fine, but most people said it was a waste of time and resources and that they shouldn't have bothered.

I mean, I would have loved to actually be able to control the Ecto-1 in the 2009 game but not at the expense of everything else (and many have argued that the actual base mechanics of that game were in need of some tweaking as it is). I completely understand why it didn't happen. A lot of things sound easy on paper until you actually have to try and make it work.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:55 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
For the same reason it took until the fourth Arkham game to have a drivable Batmobile.

Because development is hard and resources are limited. You can focus everything you have on one mechanic and making that mechanic as tight as it can possibly be, OR you can split the difference and end up with two separate game mechanics and have neither one ultimately feel as satisfying as it should.

I guess an example would be the "Batman Begins" game that EA did. It was 99% a stealth/action game, except for two levels where they had a Batmobile driving sequence. Now, I loved it, and I thought that it was a nice deviation from the main game, but most people did not appreciate it. They said it was tacked-on and unnecessary, and also apparently they ripped off the mechanic from another driving game and people whined about that, too. So to ME, I thought it was fine, but most people said it was a waste of time and resources and that they shouldn't have bothered.

I mean, I would have loved to actually be able to control the Ecto-1 in the 2009 game but not at the expense of everything else (and many have argued that the actual base mechanics of that game were in need of some tweaking as it is). I completely understand why it didn't happen. A lot of things sound easy on paper until you actually have to try and make it work.
Ecto-1 wouldn't really make sense in a multiplayer-only game like this. These will be probably largely indoor maps with 4 people playing multiplayer (5 including the Ghost). One guy hauling around in the Ecto-1 (doing what, exactly?) wouldn't really work. Maybe they can figure something out for a special outdoor map (1 guy drives it while the other 3 players flank it from outside?), but I doubt it.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:00 PM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

Oh for sure, but he mentioned the 2009 game not having it either and so I just wanted to address that specifically. You're right, it wouldn't even make sense for this kinda thing.

That game, I could kinda see how it would make sense but it would've certainly been more trouble than it was worth to even attempt.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:19 PM   #32
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I understand creating driving gameplay is another task in itself but there only needed to be 1 driving stage in the 2009 game. That outdoor portion leading to Stay Puft or a couple of shorter ones to-and-from locations. Nothing super complex just something like a mini game to break it up.

This could definitely have had co-op Ecto1 stages. 3 people at least.

1 person drives
1 person in the Gunner Seat
1 person controlling the Trap
Old 03-22-2022, 11:22 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wonder if they'll pull anything from the 2009 game. Like the different proton pack modes and all that, which were pretty cool. They even made slime blower mode cool. And will the little rods come out of the pack when it overheats and needs to cool down? I hope they keep all those touches.

I'm actually fairly excited about this, if this is the same quality as Hunting Grounds. It's not the GB game I want, but I KNOW this model works wonderfully in Predator so I don't mind the same game with a Ghostbusters skin one bit.

Little comparison: Remember Aliens: Fire Team Elite, which just released like 4 months ago for PS5, PS4, XB1, XBSX, and so on? When it first came out you could find players within maybe 3 or 4 minutes (and you only need TWO other players in that game) You can wait for 20-30 minutes, longer and nobody will join your game because nobody is playing the game anymore. They released data that only like a thousand people in the whole US are actively playing it anymore.

Predator: Hunting Grounds? Came out two years ago. Still lively. Can always find a game quick, doesn't matter what time of day or night.

Quote:
I understand creating driving gameplay is another task in itself but there only needed to be 1 driving stage in the 2009 game.
Needed? Naw. While earlier Arkham games I definitely was like, "I wanna fly the Batwing, I wanna drive the Batmobile!"... until the games actually let you. Then I kind of wished they didn't. GB 2009 I never had that thought about the Ecto-1B.

Speaking of the Ecto-1B. Will they even get into it?

Hopefully they'll take a page from Aliens: Fire Team Elite and treat the firehouse like the Sulaco-type ship. As like a "base of operations" you can hang around in when you're not doing Ghostbusting missions. It'd be cool if the Vigo picture is still there.

Quote:
1 person drives
1 person in the Gunner Seat
1 person controlling the Trap
What does the fourth guy do? And unless you have 3 other players who are good at the Ecto-1 and not a bad egg among them, that could be a very not fun experience.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-23-2022 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:42 PM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

I heard a TON of that sh*t about Arkham Knight. "Man, I wish I kept my mouth shut about the goddamn Batmobile." We'll see, still haven't gotten to it yet. Before I got sick I'd just started my New Game + run on Arkham City and I gotta finish that first before I move on. I'll probably like the Batmobile stuff more than most people did but I can't ignore all those complaints.

Sometimes it's better to just keep ONE central focus and make that the best it can be.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:59 PM   #35
Wildcat
Foot Elite

If the game really has no storyline having at least 3 player Ecto1 stages could still work as standalone stages since either side can win.

If you absolutely need 4 people maybe they control another car upgrade or you can swap at a “pit stop” to unload traps. You can come up with something.

How good the actual people are is just a risk. You (I) might be just as bad at first anyway.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:06 AM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
If the game really has no storyline having at least 3 player Ecto1 stages could still work as standalone stages since either side can win.
I guess. Like you go to the menu and it's, 4 player "Ghostbust," 1 player "Ghost," or 3 player "Ecto-1 Romp" (or something?) modes you can select?

Wouldn't be the worst thing ever. Maybe down the line as an add-on.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:44 AM   #37
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I’ve been playing and finished Luigi’s Mansion 3. It’s definitely an unofficial ghostbusters game. Besides the proton pack (I just can’t call it the Poltergust) and other similarities there’s literally a red containment unit.

I know I’m late to this. I never played the original. I have a GameCube but didn’t get it at launch and don’t have a 3DS.

GB: The Video Game should have been like this. It’s the exact same core gameplay. Zap the ghosts and wrangle them in before they get away. Keep the upgrades and different enemies for variety and it would have been perfect.

Unless the PS2/Wii versions were closer to this. They seemed a little different besides the graphics. I’ll have to try it.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:47 AM   #38
Powder
So tired of this place

The Wii one was definitely similar.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:33 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It comes out in less than a month? Is this right?

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games...51099201380108
Old 09-23-2022, 05:01 PM   #40
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It comes out in less than a month? Is this right?

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games...51099201380108
I would like to get into this, but I can't even tell if it has a single player campaign and I think full-on multiplayer only games are the worst buys on Earth - at the whims of the community and the server to ever go back to it.

I know they remastered that amazing PS3 game some time back. I'd like to play through that again someday.