The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-18-2022, 09:13 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Microsoft acquires Activision/Blizzard

https://www.darkhorizons.com/microso...zzard-for-68b/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:49 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I mean really, is anyone in favor of this? Yeah, I know Activision is terrible and even the games people like are exploitative in some sense but I don't think it will stop just because Microsoft owns them now. I'm seriously trying to think of something good that might come out of this, the best I can come up with is cross promotional shit like a Warcraft/TES crossover or Jet Force Gemini in Overwatch, which is barely even a silverlining.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:48 PM   #3
Sumac
Banned

Is there any difference?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:38 AM   #4
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Yeah...I'm not a fan of this.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:24 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This strikes me a little bit like when around 2008 there was the big stories everywhere about "Marvel is banking everything, their rights and all on everything we know as Marvel on Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, and Captain America succeeding in theaters! This is a huge gambit and they put everything on the line! Everybody better cross their fingers so they don't have to sell!" And then their gambit paid off. They succeeded. Marvel Studios was born. Hurrah!

And then they sold to Disney anyway. Like, "poof." And there wasn't even much blowback. That's always struck me as weird. And this does, too. Except Activision/Blizzard surely weren't even in those originally dire straits.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-19-2022 at 02:51 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #6
sdp
-

I don't get the Marvel/Disney comparison at all. Activision is at an all time low price because of their controversies so they bought them at a discounted price. I mean normally you'd say this isn't good because of Microsoft being a monopoly, which is true but the reason this will be not seen as a big deal is because gaming is moving to streaming, so consoles are essentially so by the time this goes through it won't matter as much to sony platforms not getting CoD for example. In fact if Sony had money I'm sure they'd be acquiring japanese studios to counter this for exclusives to their platform.

So yeah, in the future most people are just going to use Xbox game pass on their apple, amazon or microsoft devices and play CoD, bethesda games etc on those instead of consoles. You might hate the direction but it's clear that's where we're going.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:42 PM   #7
Sumac
Banned

It seems Sony mostly cares about their Western audience and prefers to bankroll Western style games. Not sure why they'd buy Japanese developers at this point.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:55 PM   #8
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Been playing a LOT of Crash Bandicoot on the switch as of late. Wonder what it means for the series on other systems. Will I have to break down and get a Xbox system just to play Crash 5 lol.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:21 AM   #9
Sumac
Banned

It seems the idea is that ActiBlizz franchises still maintain their presence on other platforms, but XBox will receive some exclusive content.

It means, that as a PC gamer, I can give less than ****, lol.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:21 AM   #10
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

As apc gamer it is good news.A ll those ocmpanies Microsoft has bought stopped releasing their games on playstation. This forces console gamers to upgrade their pc and become pc gamers. Id software, double finearkane, tango game works, macine games, obsidian, ninja theory, undead labs. bethesda .... and now activision all of these will stop releasing their games on playstation and now all those console gamers who played only on playstation will have no choice than to upgrade their computers and become pc gamers. What idotn undersrtand why two huge companies like bethesda and activision agreed to get bought. Their games sell well and are powerful companeis they didnt need microsoft or sony.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:15 AM   #11
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Been playing a LOT of Crash Bandicoot on the switch as of late. Wonder what it means for the series on other systems. Will I have to break down and get a Xbox system just to play Crash 5 lol.
Eventually yes. That is if they ever make another Crash game.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:32 AM   #12
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
No because they release evryhign on pc so just play it on yor pc like ido. Iplayec crash badncioto 4 on my pc when it released on March and it was great game.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:37 AM   #13
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Eventually yes. That is if they ever make another Crash game.

Yeah I am also worry Crash may end up like Banjo-Kazooie who has not had a new game in over ten years, Yeah he was in smash, but that does not mean a new Banjo game. Microsoft may get the rights to Crash and just forget about him in a few months.

Crash has had a HELL of a comeback in the past 5 years from the N Sane remakes, to the CTR remake, Crash 4 which is a great game, and even that mobile Crash on the run in 2021. If they toss Crash aside like they did Banjo-Kazooie, I can say at least it was a good 5 years.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:50 PM   #14
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I don't get the Marvel/Disney comparison at all.
I can kind of get it. In theory it is better companies to grow and compete with each other, even terrible companies like Activision, than it is for major companies to merge with each other. So much like it would have been better for Marvel to grow into a rival for Disney, it would have been better if Activision to just keep doing it's thing until it could compete with Microsoft on some level. That said, not so sure that would actually work out. I'd say we would have been more likely to see the demise of Activision than Activision branching out into other types of software.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:16 AM   #15
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I can kind of get it. In theory it is better companies to grow and compete with each other, even terrible companies like Activision, than it is for major companies to merge with each other. So much like it would have been better for Marvel to grow into a rival for Disney, it would have been better if Activision to just keep doing it's thing until it could compete with Microsoft on some level. That said, not so sure that would actually work out. I'd say we would have been more likely to see the demise of Activision than Activision branching out into other types of software.
Buying whole third-party publishers is not good for the industry. I'm more of a fan of the approach of buying individual studios where they slowly but surely prove themselves with the quality of their games before being bought.

Activision Blizzard is a mess right now and Xbox has involved themselves with them. Bobby Kotick will still leave with a huge amount of cash. It's quite disgusting, really.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:18 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

EA will probably get bought in the next couple of years. Battlefield, their sports games, and Mass Effect have all had absolutely dire releases in the last years that killed their brands. They're trying to revive Dead Space with a remake from a game that doesn't need it. They're basically in the same straights as Activision.

Rockstar will probably never be bought as GTA will never stop printing money, and I don't think Ubisoft will ever agree to a sale since they're a French company.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:10 AM   #17
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Who knows? Nobody thought Activision of most companies would ever get bought out but here we are.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:04 AM   #18
Sumac
Banned

And now Sony buys Bungie.
No Halo from Bungie on XBox ever again?

I wouldn't be surprised, if Nintendo buys Square Enix or Platinum in the next two weeks.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:05 PM   #19
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I wouldn't be surprised, if Nintendo buys Square Enix or Platinum in the next two weeks.
There's just something about Nintendo that strikes me as too arrogant to buyout a major development studio. Like... "we can always outsource a game if we want, but we don't need them." Considering how easily they let Rare walk away to Microsoft after carrying their 16-bit and 64-bit systems for most of the mid-to-late 90s, they just don't seem the type to get into the Hungry-Hungry Hippo approach to business.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-31-2022 at 02:53 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:06 PM   #20
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Battlefield, their sports games, and Mass Effect have all had absolutely dire releases in the last years.
Same for all companies. A lot of video games were delayed because of the Coronavirus pandemic through 2020 and 2021.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote