The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #61
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Just to make sure I'm on the same page:
Dismissive net speak is out, but internet tough guy threats of hyperbolic violence are still in?

Also...my decades long self-identification as a "fanboy" has resulted in loss of favor from the self-appointed disciplinarian of the board.

It's been an enlightening day.

Back on topic.
I'm trying to imagine what a sincere modern He-Man would look like, but...I don't know that I've seen anything that encapsulates the property without the result being camp.

I mean...300 was as ridiculous on screen as it was on the page.
There's already been mention of Jupiter Ascending, which again...I quite liked, but which knew it was camp when it started.

Maybe the closest thing would be Thor 2? Or perhaps the upcoming Aquaman?

I'd say Game of Thrones, but...there's not really a tech aspect there for comparison. Too much magical realism.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #62
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

So make it camp. Those Marvel movies are camp as f*ck, and everyone seems to like them. Thor is probably a good comparison, although I'd hope it would be a touch more colourful.

I may be in a minority here, but I don't really want a 'bad-ass' He-Man movie; I think I'd be happier with a campy one. Could be wrong though - I often don't know what I want.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #63
plastroncafe

That's why I loved the utter ridiculousness that was/is Jupiter Ascending. It's the kind of movie you'd get if you let a 13 year old girl make a big budget popcorn flick.

It was all princesses, pretty dresses, space battles, and hunky dudes.
Tina Belcher approves.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #64
Leo656
The Franchise

Alright, I'll be blunt. You came into a thread about something you don't care about - but others do - solely for the purposes of dropping snark-bombs and stirring sh*t. Then when people tell you it's not appreciated, you double-down. I know you get your kicks this way, but this is one of those times when it's far more irritating than endearing.

But whatever. One more thread about something I like that I can't post in because people insist on sh*tting it up with garbage. Bye.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #65
plastroncafe

Wow, okay. That was so not my intent. I didn't come in here to ****-stir, but to talk about He-Man, and how at least the production company people do decent work in spite of the quality of the overall end results.

Sorry man.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #66
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
So make it camp. Those Marvel movies are camp as f*ck, and everyone seems to like them. Thor is probably a good comparison, although I'd hope it would be a touch more colourful.

I may be in a minority here, but I don't really want a 'bad-ass' He-Man movie; I think I'd be happier with a campy one. Could be wrong though - I often don't know what I want.
It doesn't have to be one or the other.

It's a fantasy film. You do it as is, but play it relatively straight. You also don't try and re-imagine it for film; not required - Just enhance what's there.

This is a film that lives and dies by it's production design, simple as that.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:42 PM   #67
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Wow, okay. That was so not my intent. I didn't come in here to ****-stir, but to talk about He-Man, and how at least the production company people do decent work in spite of the quality of the overall end results.

Sorry man.
Kinda my feelings. I was just amused by Leo's reaction is all.
On a lighter note I think we can all agree that this movie will be marginally better than the PD or Imagi TMNT movies right?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:17 PM   #68
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuriken View Post
Kinda my feelings. I was just amused by Leo's reaction is all.
On a lighter note I think we can all agree that this movie will be marginally better than the PD or Imagi TMNT movies right?
My fear, as a fan, is that it will be worse. Bay makes a typical kind of bad, which can be, at times, fun/good, in a perverse way you don't really want but might enjoy. TF 1 was an example of a rehash that was fun, if a distorted and kaleidoscopic version of the source.

PDMT is fundamentally awful, even if it wasn't a TMNT film. Swap the central characters out with anyone else,(to eliminate fanboy rage); if this was a movie about Dwayne, Abbey, John, and Delmar - it would still be awful.
If we look at McG's past, we can predict what sort of film this will be, and I haven't read a single comment that responded with "oh good!". None. Either you care, as I do, because of an inescapable feeling of nostalgia; or you don't.
Bras tax, this has the potential to be a massive film, in the right hands, and McG is entirely the wrong guy.
If Cameron were to fall in love with Eternia, as he did with Avatar/the oceans, and was as obsessive in creating Eternia, with all the pageantry of Eternia, you'd get the sort of film it could be. This isn't to say that I think Cameron is the end all be all, but I can't think of another director whose visualls come close (LOTR, while full of details, was still Earth based, something Eternia needs to stay away from.)

It shouldn't be conflated with something as ridiculous as Jupiter Ascending, which isn't in anyway the same sort of story. Eternia is it's own planet, in another universe. It's not about a human, doing something in our Universe. It's bigger than that. Jupiter was an allegorical tale similar to John Carter, with some conspiratorial ideas about the universe, hamfisted into Dorothy's journey to Oz. The story, had workable elements, but it was a total mess of shoddy design and sloppy directing. The story they wanted to tell was strangled under the weight of its own smugness.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:47 AM   #69
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I guess it will be alight if the film makers can identify why Masters of the Universe is good, at it's core. The central premise is pretty cool, i.e. a magic castle that is the source of incredible power, and different factions battling to poses it. You could make a movie around that with any kind of tone you choose. The characters are really arch and weird looking, but you could heighten or soften aspects of their design, or personalities to fit a serious, or campy tone.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:27 AM   #70
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I don't think all-serious or all-camp is the best option.

It is a post apocalyptic future set on a distant planet where society have reverted to a time of sword & sorcery, where hunky tanned beefcakes in scantly clad armor fight each other.

It should be equal parts camp and equal parts serious, just like any iteration of He-Man have been.

You have scenes like. A bunch of beefcakes fight for the crown to rule the land, and suddenly the blue skinned beefcake gets acid in his face and to stay alive his space-wizard mentor merges him with a demon so the blue beefcake can be reborn as Skeletor Overlord of Evil.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:32 AM   #71
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

If the word 'beefcake' is actually written in the stage directions, then we have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:04 AM   #72
Commenter 42
Banned

The brilliance of He-Man, is in the character design itself. People love to "improve" on designs, or offer a modern version; the fallacy is to continue to think that our generation are somehow better artists, than those who came before us, simply on the basis that we exist in their future.

Put 30 people in a room, and ask them all to recreate an iconic design, exactly, you won't get one the same; you will however get a gradation of quality of translation and interpretation, even when not requested.
Personally, He-Man is, to my mind, the Filmation design. That might be a narrow view, but I'd argue He's as iconic as Vader or Yoda.
He-Man is a beautiful man, Sorceress is a beautiful woman. Teela has a very specific look.

If you do these things, in the way that worked before, it will absolutely work again, as long as your translation is executed well.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 01-25-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:23 AM   #73
Commenter 42
Banned

So, this is also pretty awesome.

http://ddgcolecciones.blogspot.ca/20...as-grande.html
Old 01-25-2016, 03:30 AM   #74
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Wow, that's pretty cool.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #75
plastroncafe

I guess what I'm saying, or at least what I'm trying to say, is the design group from Jupiter ascending did what they were supposed to, and did it well....in terms of what was asked of them.

It all comes down to what will be asked of them, and given McG's reputation, what he'll be asking for is camp and cheese/beefcake.

Now this might be okay for the fan who watched the show with that particular pair of glasses on, (That's how I watched it, to be honest. Couldn't NOT watch it, being a queer kid at the time) but I can certainly see where it'd leave others displeased.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #76
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I guess what I'm saying, or at least what I'm trying to say, is the design group from Jupiter ascending did what they were supposed to, and did it well....in terms of what was asked of them.
I can see what you mean, but, to my eye, Tatum was ridiculous looking. I really don't thing they wanted him to look like a fool, but he certainly did. None of the creatures made any sense.

I guess, for me, and to not put too fine a point on it, it feels quite a bit like a weird kind of racism.

Now before you go off all crazy...here's what I mean: When a stereotype is applied to a specific ethnic group, physically, they exaggerate features, which, is an affront, often because these "stereotyped exaggerations" are ill-informed generalizations, and sometimes, don't even remotely line up with reality.

Design, is a language like any other. It tells us things, it communicates very important ideas. It's an affront, artistically to see artists, in a world full of struggling, starving srtists, to be paid big dollars to deliver F grade quality, REPEATEDLY.
It boils the blood.

When you borrow from animals , especially to design genetically modified humans, you should, have a sense of how the animal in question is structured, otherwise, your design begins to look, well, like a guy in a mask, or a guy in bad makeup. It takes years to master design, and so it should be left to those who've spent years, not handed off to students. These guys are the Liefilds of design. I hate them. I'll admit it. i hate their "style"

Take a design like Admiral Ackbar.

This is strong design, as it is reminiscent of a goldfish/aquatic creature, while still plausible, interms of anatomical structure, on top of which has a flow to the design that feels natural and elegant. In short, you buy that as a creature.

This, though, what is this?

6year olds have better sense. nothing could ever exist with this anatomical structure. EVER.

Or this:

And I can't find a clear shot, but seriously?

No, I don't want these hacks to touch He-Man...ever.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #77
plastroncafe

Before I go off all crazy?
Seriously, dude?

I'm looking over the rims of my bifocals so hard at you right now.
I can see not liking the designs, which again...were OK'd by the head of production, so...honestly I lay the blame there. Heavy is the head blady blah blah.

Still not seeing where your call of racism fits into what appears to me to be a subjective disagreement over taste.

Though, if anatomical realism is the yardstick by which we decide what constitutes good design, I can't help but chuckle when I look at the property in question. Or really any fantasy property, or comic book cover. (I'm thinking specifically of the fantasy women so thin and yet so large of chest that they'd likely suffer constant back and shoulder pain)

I dunno...I liked the elephant guy, and I say that as someone who worked in a zoo and has more than a couple of Gross Anatomy courses under her belt.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by plastroncafe; 01-25-2016 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Gah, typos!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #78
snake
Disgusting

I'm with Plastron on this. Those designs aren't bad at all. I dunno, I'm not going to sh*t on the movie before I see the first trailer or some info.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #79
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post

This, though, what is this?

http://i.imgur.com/lq2ylHI.jpg

6year olds have better sense. nothing could ever exist with this anatomical structure. EVER.

http://www.daranaraghi.com/wp-conten.../02/141826.jpg

Or this:
http://i2.wp.com/bitcast-a-sm.bitgra...size=700%2C338

And I can't find a clear shot, but seriously?
http://i0.wp.com/bitcast-a-sm.bitgra...size=700%2C337

No, I don't want these hacks to touch He-Man...ever.
Wow, those creatures are trippy looking. Stupid and impractical yes, but trippy and kinda interesting hell yeah. Anyway this makes me wanna watch Jupiter Ascending even more.

And can we agree it won't be as bad as Battlefield Earth? UGH
Old 01-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #80
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuriken View Post
Wow, those creatures are trippy looking. Stupid and impractical yes, but trippy and kinda interesting hell yeah. Anyway this makes me wanna watch Jupiter Ascending even more.

And can we agree it won't be as bad as Battlefield Earth? UGH
Like I said, if you squint really hard, you might find some value, but the ideas are so juvenile, it's hard to find any real take-aways worth your time.
You want us to concede that this may not be the worst movie of all time? I'd rather not dwell on the best worst-case scenarios.

@ Plastron - yes, I know it's a poor analogy, because racism carries more baggage than Charlie Sheen, but it was the best way i could describe it...something so egregiously wrong (from an educated, artistic stance), and yet overlooked by the John Q Public.
No, I'm in no way suggesting in any way that the reality of real world racism parallels the design sensibilities of these hacks, only that their view of design is as myopic and ignorant. I'm also not suggesting the problem is on par with racism, but rather that it shares a lot of it's qualities, though in an infinitely less important way. It's the thing that's overlooked, But I'm passionate about, for a hole host of reasons.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 01-25-2016 at 08:03 PM.

Tags
he-man, mcg