The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: How much do voice actors of certain characters matter to you? Can they be replaced?
No, they can't. The voice actor that voiced X character is iconic to that character forever. 3 15.79%
If there's a good reason for replacing a voice actor then I'm OK with it. 7 36.84%
I'd rather they didn't, but whatever. 2 10.53%
Doesn't matter super much to me. As long as the voice actor replacement is close-ish. 5 26.32%
I don't care at all. 1 5.26%
Something else (explain). 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #21
neatoman
Emperor

I've avoided this thread because I wasn't sure how to respond because the question is "in a broad sense", which makes it hard for me to give a clear answer. So in order to be able to give any clear answers, I'm going to make different scenarios just to make it clear where I stand depending on the situation.

If it's clearly a different version.
Why should I really care here? Yeah it might be cool if someone reprises their role but in general it's expected to hear someone new.

If the actor is dead.
Obviously if the actor is dead you need a new one if the character is important. Here is the thing, it is more important for the story to make sense than it is to "respect the actor" or whatever. Like I understand that it would have been weird to recast Leia but it would have been better than what Rise of Skywalker actually did with the footage of Carrie Fisher. However, if the character is unimportant, then you might as well just not include the character at all. In the case of TMNT, I guess I don't care that James Avery was replaced by Kevin Michael Richardson because of that reason (but I do have something else to say about it). Then again, I don't like the Fred Wolf cartoon, the Fred Wolf Shredder or those crossover episodes in the first place, so maybe I'm not the one to speak for anyone in this particular case.

Refusal or contractual obligation.
Unfortunate? Sure, but there isn't much to be done about it. If the character is necessary for the project, then you need to replace them.

The actor was caught up in some kind of controversy.
Here my opinion gets a little mixed. On one hand, I can understand a studio's desire to distance themselves from controversy and if it's so bad the person risks jail, you may have to replace them eventually. But then again, if the controversy is kind of stupid and fairly benign I'm not sure it's really worth it. People are kind of fickle and will easily forget the controversy soon enough, which might make it kind of pointless. I mean, can anyone really remember what Jason Biggs did? Tweet something about his pubes or something?

If the actor simply couldn't be there because of a booked schedule or other temporary inconvenience.
This one is where I am starting to question if it's worth it to find a replacement. I get that shows and movies have a deadline when it comes to production but an animated production should be more flexible. You don't need to have all actors on set because there is no set. Just have them come in a day later or something to record their lines.

But ultimately, if you have to use a replacement actor, try to find one who can sound similar enough to the previous actor. Remember, cohesion is king here.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:06 AM   #22
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I remember when Townsend Coleman voiced Krang in Cowabunga Shredhead and his take on the character was so forced. Ugh!
After James Avery bowed out with 'White Belt, Black Heart' Townsend took over for the remainder of the episodes of the season. I don't recall Townsend filling in that early. I will have to watch it during my treadmill jog.

Of Shredder's alternate voices the only one that truly works for me is Bill Martin in his seven Red Sky episodes. Perhaps its the more desperate Shredder and slightly matured tone that works in his favor.

Which episodes did Townsend fill in as Splinter? I remember Peter missed a couple of episodes because he was pretty sick and Townsend had to fill the role so Townsend took the bonus he got for the fill-in and wrote a check to Peter for what he would have gotten normally.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:56 PM   #23
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

I'd rather they not replace voice actors in most things unless there's a good reason (retirement, death, the character is dramatically different,etc).

But since I tend to focus on the comics, I'm not as attached to any TMNT voice cast as I am with a lot of media.
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:01 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewzard View Post
I'd rather they not replace voice actors in most things unless there's a good reason (retirement, death, the character is dramatically different,etc).

But since I tend to focus on the comics, I'm not as attached to any TMNT voice cast as I am with a lot of media.
Mewzard! Yay.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:43 PM   #25
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Mewzard! Yay.
I might be a bit behind on my TMNT reading, but I'm still around, lol.
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote