The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-13-2021, 04:56 PM   #121
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I like the art style, I hope it is supported by a good enough story.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #122
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I like the art style, I hope it is supported by a good enough story.

From Yahoo Entertainment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith
"We get to see them engage not just in clashing swords, but in far deeper conversations than we've ever seen them before," he explains. "It's not just simply like these two dudes [He-Man and Skeletor] have been trying to beat each other up for decades. We get to tell stories of abuse.
So we have the now,
-modern pejorative "two dudes" or "dudes" (you know... Dude-bro bad)
-We have "deeper conversations".
-"get to tell stories of abuse".

On another note entirely, why does Teela look like an emo-Britpop boy from the 80's in the group shot, and why does Evil-Lynn look like... well basically a man with a boob job? That's not what the world outside your window looks like, by and large.....

I hope this show appeals to.... whatever exceptionally small cross section of the human population this is intended to appeal to.

Last edited by IMJ; 05-13-2021 at 05:15 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:26 PM   #123
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
From Yahoo Entertainment:

So we have the now,
-modern pejorative "two dudes" or "dudes" (you know... Dude-bro bad)
-We have "deeper conversations".
-"get to tell stories of abuse".

On another note entirely, why does Teela look like an emo-Britpop boy from the 80's in the group shot, and why does Evil-Lynn look like... well basically a man with a boob job? That's not what the world outside your window looks like, by and large.....

I hope this show appeals to.... whatever exceptionally small cross section of the human population this is intended to appeal to.
This show will appeal to the fans who watched the original series, and have grown up and have kids of there own.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #124
sdp
Megan Fox = April

How are they making a serious cartoon if it's a sequel to the campy cartoon? It's as if they tried to make Batman 89 a sequel to 60s Batman.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:41 PM   #125
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
How are they making a serious cartoon if it's a sequel to the campy cartoon? It's as if they tried to make Batman 89 a sequel to 60s Batman.
I think they just took all the lore and everything that happened in the 80s cartoon, and references all that stuff in this new series, But giving it a more serious take on events.

Its not like they are gonna show flashback scenes from the original series.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #126
Leo656
The Franchise

Looks alright. All the chicks are a little too "butch"; almost makes sense for Teela but I never saw Evil-Lyn as someone who works out all that much.

Otherwise, art style looks pretty good, kinda like a more-detailed evolution of the 200X reboot series. Pretty much what I expected. Hopefully the story is good. Still sounds a bit "iffy", but we'll see.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:25 PM   #127
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I like the art style here as they are modernizing the 80s designs.

Its too bad there's a small vocal minority that think this show is gonna be woke.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #128
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, it's a Netflix animated series and people have already seen what they did to She-Ra with that trash reboot. I get that it's still early going but people are just calling what they see, and they've been burned before so they have reasons to be cautious. For his part, Smith apparently shot down any rumors of Teela being a lesbian some time ago, but some people still don't believe him.

I did see that Teela's new "Ruby Rose" haircut caused something of a civil war on the He-Man forums today. Between that, the resting bitch face and the steroid arms, lotta people are like "...Well she sure LOOKS gay."

Anyways, "woke" or not, some people are nervous - based on various show descriptions - that He-Man is going to be sidelined after the first episode and that Teela is going to be doing most of the show's "heavy lifting". And if that ends up being the case, well... that'll suck. I mean everybody likes Teela, but nobody waited 30 years for a "revival" show only to have it focus on her and not He-Man.

Guess we'll find out in July. I don't blame anyone for having reservations, though. I mean, once upon a time everybody thought that Kevin Smith would be an awesome Batman writer. Then he went and wrote a Batman comic and it was the drizzling sh*ts, and now nobody trusts the guy. It's understandable. The guy made Batman piss his pants, how do we KNOW he won't likewise screw up He-Man? We don't know, until we see it.

For my part, I'm cautiously optimistic with STRONG emphasis on the "cautiously" part. The art style looks good, but that's just "Good job doing what you're supposed to do" kinda stuff. If the writing is poor then the art style won't make up for it. We'll see.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:42 PM   #129
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

At the very least, this looks better compared to how CN handled Thundercats. Low bar but still.

I'm not much of of He-Man fan but I do think the character designs look good. How hands-on is Smith in this? If he's writing for this show, that's very concerning. I don't think he has it in him to write anymore. His latest work is some abysmal stuff.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:55 AM   #130
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Its too bad there's a small vocal minority that think this show is gonna be woke.
The real minority are the woke. That's why their s*it doesn't sell.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:37 AM   #131
Leo656
The Franchise

They all got deleted, but I thought your posts on the subject on the He-Man board were pretty spot-on, sir.

I mean, I'm not willing to take up arms and plant a flag just yet JUST over Teela's bad haircut and the fact that she's gone on the horse testosterone lately. But if He-Man ends up sidelined for most of the series and Teela ultimately becomes the Big Hero of the entire exercise, then yeah, I'm probably going to be pretty vocal about all'a that, if that's what comes to pass. And I get why people are nervous. Especially after that ridiculous She-Ra reboot. Nobody can EVER be accused of "grasping at straws" or making mountains out of molehills after Netflix decided to revamp a beloved kids' character for a five-season "Everybody's Gay Now, Ain't It Awesome?!" parade that had abso-f*cking-lutely nothing to do with the original She-Ra past the character names. That sh*t was insidious. And frankly, whenever hardline conservatives need a Bogeyman to point to when they argue about TV shows "indoctrinating" their kids or "brainwashing" their kids into being gay, that show is going to make a very convenient target going forward. "Oops."

Also, it's pretty telling that THAT show got a five-season order from Netflix, despite the fact that nobody even really watched it and the toys didn't sell at all, and meanwhile THIS show gets ten f*cking episodes and that's it, even though MOTU is one of Mattel's Top Five-selling brands right now. I mean yeah, if it gets good ink they CAN do more, but as of now they're not committed to that, and instead are hoping their other hard reboot takes off.

Just kind of shows you what kind of priorities Netflix has. Anyone accusing them of "pushing agendas" or being nervous that that's what they might be doing isn't some conspiracy nut reading too much into things; they're just a person who pays attention.

But yeah, still too soon to know one way or the other. Just saying, I empathize with those concerned while remaining cautiously optimistic. A lot can go Right, but as we've seen, a lot can go Wrong. "There's many a slip twixt a cup and a lip", after all.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:11 AM   #132
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Also, it's pretty telling that THAT show got a five-season order from Netflix, despite the fact that nobody even really watched it and the toys didn't sell at all, and meanwhile THIS show gets ten f*cking episodes and that's it, even though MOTU is one of Mattel's Top Five-selling brands right now
Ten episodes of that, plus 26 or so episode of the second reboot. That's two shows, which shows a greater commitment to the MOTU brand and He-Man content.

And yeah, the 'five seasons thing' ain't much to brag about on their end, it's really just three seasons worth split into volumes.

Quote:
Just kind of shows you what kind of priorities Netflix has. Anyone accusing them of "pushing agendas" or being nervous that that's what they might be doing isn't some conspiracy nut reading too much into things; they're just a person who pays attention..
I do believe those who accuse others of this behaviour are themselves fully in the know, but are part of the agenda/problem as they agree politically with it.

As you say, the comments on He-Man.org were all deleted save one, which was a white guilt shill basically peddling the idea us whites have had more than enough representation and it's time for everyone else to catch up. Quite telling that was left up, complete with some twat speaking for a dead man in suggesting that Lou Schemer would 'approve'.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:02 AM   #133
Leo656
The Franchise

You're right, but some of the Netflix She-Ra apologists do love to trumpet that it ran for "five seasons". As well as all those GLAAD awards they won, as if to get those they had to do anything more than just put gay characters in a kids show. "Show Up, Get Cookie." BUT, to them it's a noteworthy "accomplishment". I mean, they bring both of those things up immediately whenever a person dares to say they think that show wasn't Stunning and Brave. "Five Seasons! It won awards!" Yeah, sure... but consider the source, consider the motive.

As to that one post... eh, Lou Scheimer probably WOULD have agreed with it, honestly, but using a dead guy to support one's own opinion is pretty tactless and uncouth.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:25 AM   #134
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

She-Ra got a blanket 52 episode order from the get go. Full series orders seem to be the norm for the Dreamworks Animation shows on Netflix so they can crank out seasons quicker with shorter time between new episodes - Voltron was the same. Later season renewals had nothing to do with viewership statistics like they are with most shows. Meaningless thing for their fans to point to as an accomplishment.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:56 AM   #135
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
T

As you say, the comments on He-Man.org were all deleted save one, which was a white guilt shill basically peddling the idea us whites have had more than enough representation and it's time for everyone else to catch up. Quite telling that was left up, complete with some twat speaking for a dead man in suggesting that Lou Schemer would 'approve'.
Wow.

I knew he-man.org was going woke pretty fast, but that is pretty damn sad. glad I havn't been back since december. it was time to leave. no wonder all the old members have all but left.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #136
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Wow.

I knew he-man.org was going woke pretty fast, but that is pretty damn sad. glad I havn't been back since december. it was time to leave. no wonder all the old members have all but left.
That place looked like it had a budget eighteen years ago. Shocking to see it in the state it's in now.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #137
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Here INB4 later on we discover that the series will end with Teela and Evil Lyn sharing a passionate kiss and the fact that if that scene was not allowed to occur, Kevin Smith would have torn the whole thing down and not do the show to begin with.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #138
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

The figures for the show look pretty good, I will be getting some. I'm not sure about the show itself... while I like Castlevania, I don't have a lot of faith in Smith's writing. We shall see.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #139
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
This show will appeal to the fans who watched the original series, and have grown up and have kids of there own.
By that logic then it should quickly be appealing to me. I was there. I first made associations about about money because of He-Man - a He-Man toy cost 5 bucks.

Quote:
I like the art style here as they are modernizing the 80s designs.

Why is it "too bad" to think that? That's what it looks like.

-shrugs-

If it isn't, then great, but let's face it - the conjecture is a minimized role of the main character in place of "abuse stories", a butch Evil-Lyn and a Teela given a transgender art direction. Like it or not, those are all "woke" things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I did see that Teela's new "Ruby Rose" haircut caused something of a civil war on the He-Man forums today. Between that, the resting bitch face and the steroid arms, lotta people are like "...Well she sure LOOKS gay." :lol.
I mean the art style looks great - it looks like Ninja Scroll caliber of art. But the art direction? Again you can't help but feel that it's a politicized, liberal direction. Kevin Smith is talking about a He-Man show with deeper conversations about this, that and abuse. And Teela doesn't look "gay". You'll piss off gay people by saying that. Celebrate it for what it is and recognize the people for who they are - Teela looks trans.

We will see. I'll check it out somehow but I don't want to give woke $#!( Netflix "hits" there until I know it's passable. By the time you power watch five episodes you gave them the ratings data already, and they don't need my ratings input when they will, apparently, have an entire "woke" or otherwise non-typical audience apparently waiting for this show, right? I mean, it's not that I wouldn't check it out or support it, but they don't want ME. I HAD my time, and my "regular white guy" $#!(, so they don't need me on board. No biggie.

Last edited by IMJ; 05-14-2021 at 01:45 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:37 PM   #140
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Not optimistic about this one.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote