The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

"Slash" by Jeremiah D. Allan and Randy Valiente

Last week, writer Jeremiah Allan sent me the pages to this comic he and artist Randy Valiente produced for an unreleased TMNT tribute book put together by Go Green Machine (that got nixed due to the Viacom buy-out).

He wanted to share it with the fandom, so I threw the pages up on TMNT Entity with a bit of review:

"Slash!" by Jeremiah D. Allan, Randy Valiente and Kris Johnson

A cool little piece, I think, and especially interesting to look at now that Slash is making a comeback in the IDW series. I don't know how official the status of the Go Green Machine tribute book was (though it getting nixed by the Viacom buy-out leads me to think there was some level of legitimacy to it), so I'm not sure if this counts as potential canon to the Mirage series.

Anyway, Blogger shrinks the pages, but I think they're still legible enough. I have the high quality versions and if anybody knows how to put them into a .cbr and throw them up on mediafire or wherever, let me know and I'll send them your way, that way everyone can see the comic in better quality.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Venom
Space Knight

Once again, you've provided another awesome little gem. :]
Old 09-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Man, I'm always amazed when stuff like this turns up!

Your TMNT blog just got even cooler, Spengs!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
junkboy
Hench Mutant

haha.. that was great
thanks!
Old 09-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I don't know how official the status of the Go Green Machine tribute book was (though it getting nixed by the Viacom buy-out leads me to think there was some level of legitimacy to it), so I'm not sure if this counts as potential canon to the Mirage series.
The book was greenlit by Gary Richardson and would have definitely gone to print had we gotten enough submissions before the buyout.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Jephael
That whack job behind you

That comic looks epic! It's a shame the book never got to see print.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Chris
Mad Scientist

First I've heard of this. Awesome find Spengler!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
The book was greenlit by Gary Richardson and would have definitely gone to print had we gotten enough submissions before the buyout.
Thanks! I'll add it to the Mirage TMNT Continuity Timeline with red text, since it was at least officially greenlit though never published.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Gary greenlit it but did Peter? I find it hard to believe PL would have Slash in Mirage continuity.

Remember that other Vol. 4 short story done by some College students? It was published but Peter rushed an editorial into the same issue to declare it non canon for some reason. I think this might be similar.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist

That was awesome. So amazing. It is cool to see Bishop and Slash in "Mirage". I wonder if more would have been done with them if there had been more books.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Not sure I would disagree with Peter doing that. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's an interesting story, and I love Slash as much as anyone, but an alien Turtle who is locked in battle with an alien brain brings back too many flashbacks to the leaked Bay script. That and did it seem to anyone there were some panels missing. I mean, Slash just comes out of nowhere when he attacks the Utroms.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Gary greenlit it but did Peter? I find it hard to believe PL would have Slash in Mirage continuity.

Remember that other Vol. 4 short story done by some College students? It was published but Peter rushed an editorial into the same issue to declare it non canon for some reason. I think this might be similar.
Canon status never entered the conversation. Mirage wasn't going to publish. GGM was going to publish. I was paying printing and publishing fees out of pocket. So the non-canon status was a given.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I guess a race of alien Turtles kinda makes sense. I know in the 4kids universe at least, the Triceratons always called the Turtles, "Terrapin Creatures", kind of implying that they'd seen something like them before our boys.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I look at "Slash" as being in the same category as "This Mortal Shell". It was greenlit by the authorities and doesn't conflict with continuity, but it isn't "canon".

Though in this case, I don't really think "canon" is something anybody should feel too concerned with. Just a fun comic to take in and of itself.

And I wouldn't make too many parallels to the discarded movie script, either. Palmadise existed long before the Bay movie and obviously this story was completed well before that, too.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I guess a race of alien Turtles kinda makes sense. I know in the 4kids universe at least, the Triceratons always called the Turtles, "Terrapin Creatures", kind of implying that they'd seen something like them before our boys.
And in the original cartoon, there were two different alien Turtle planets...the one from Season 4 and the Turtleoids planet Kerma was from.

Although I like the origin of Slash being a mutant more than an alien turtle myself...
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
Canon status never entered the conversation. Mirage wasn't going to publish. GGM was going to publish. I was paying printing and publishing fees out of pocket. So the non-canon status was a given.
Man, I remember when we were talking about that project. It would be so great if we could still do something along those lines... There's so much talent in the fandom, it's a shame to not put it towards something BIG like that.
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
And I wouldn't make too many parallels to the discarded movie script, either. Palmadise existed long before the Bay movie and obviously this story was completed well before that, too.
It's more the Bay movie put a bad taste in my mouth regarding alien Turtles, is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed
And in the original cartoon, there were two different alien Turtle planets...the one from Season 4 and the Turtleoids planet Kerma was from.
See, the reason I brought it up is that the Triceratons are actually in the Slash short...that and I was hoping someone would say, "It's not just the 4Kids series, that was pulled from the Mirage version of the arc, as well." since I'm not sure if they called them that in the comics.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #18
thingy
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Anyway, Blogger shrinks the pages, but I think they're still legible enough.
Clicking on the thumbnail, then right-clicking and selecting "open image" brings up the pages at 1035x1600. Is that the full size? It seems plenty big enough.
thingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Oh, is that how you do it?

Good, I was worried the shrunken size was all you got (I remember when Blogger only let you click-to-enlarge the first image in each post).

Yep, that's the original size.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not sure I would disagree with Peter doing that. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's an interesting story, and I love Slash as much as anyone, but an alien Turtle who is locked in battle with an alien brain brings back too many flashbacks to the leaked Bay script. That and did it seem to anyone there were some panels missing. I mean, Slash just comes out of nowhere when he attacks the Utroms.
I'm pretty sure it was stated that the leaked script was from Paramount before Bay's company even entered the picture.

Tags
mirage, unpublished material