The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-15-2021, 11:42 PM   #21
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Bloodborne still looks like fun but I don't have the system or the game. Deadpool looks like a good game to play for the dumb fun of it, so there's more convincing to buy a PS3.

I'm curious to see how Dragonball: Xenoverse will play out due to owning the older DB games. Budokai Tenkaichi was fun, but a lot of the fighters felt stiff to play as.

Twilight Princess still looks a good game and so do the Metroid Prime games.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:59 AM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

AH yeah, I forgot about the Metroid Prime series. I own 'em, just haven't gotten there yet. I've been playing more first-person stuff in recent years so I think I might have a better time with them now than I would have however many years ago.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:00 AM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

I played a bit of the first Metroid Prime game back in 2006 or so. But I couldn't get into it. Might give it another shot sometime.

I picked up Super Metroid about 5 years ago. Was OK but still couldn't see what the fuss about it was. Last year I restarted the game on the Switch and been playing it on and off since then. Good game but I can't see the whole "GOAT SNES game" thing so many see about it.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:47 AM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

I think Metroid in general may not be for everyone. I played the NES original as a kid and didn't care for it; none of my friends who had it ever had any idea what the f*ck they/we were doing, they just ran around blasting stuff until they died, then it was like "Let's do something else." But all I ever heard was how awesome the series is, and was always a bit jealous I didn't have the same experience as so many people did. So I played the original beginning-to-end a few months ago and... it's Okay. Way more frustrating than it had to be by a mile, but definitely some fun to be had. Even just a map on the Pause menu could have helped incredibly. But I can't say I loved it.

I'd been thinking about doing a "series run" since I have most of them but I've been holding off in order to get through some other stuff I knew for a fact I'd have more fun with, rather than "gamble". I'm sure Super Metroid is much better than the NES one, but I have a feeling that I just may not fall in love with the series in general. But I am glad that I own them so I can at least do a "deep dive" and make up my own mind... eventually.

Old 03-16-2021, 02:49 AM   #25
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I played a bit of the first Metroid Prime game back in 2006 or so. But I couldn't get into it. Might give it another shot sometime.

I picked up Super Metroid about 5 years ago. Was OK but still couldn't see what the fuss about it was. Last year I restarted the game on the Switch and been playing it on and off since then. Good game but I can't see the whole "GOAT SNES game" thing so many see about it.
I actually haven't really played the Prime games either despite absolutely loving the 2D games. I played the first one briefly but it wasn't mine so I never finished it. I played some multiplayer in Echoes and Hunters and never really got into Hunters too much. The Prime Trilogy is something I would love to play one day, but it's been so long that I'm sort of just holding out for a Trilogy remaster, and if it doesn't happen by the time Metroid Prime 4 releases, then I'll just play them on Wii.

But as far as Super Metroid goes, I don't see what's not to love. It's Zelda meets Mario with a sci-fi/Alien aesthetic. Super Metroid was actually really influential to many games including Resident Evil, the Batman Arkham games, and the Tomb Raider reboot. The action adventure genre in general just really benefitted from Metroid.

The puzzle design of the environment, the platforming, the exploration, unlocking new areas with new upgrades. It's a satisfying design with an engaging gameplay loop and while modern 3D action adventure games may be more appealing today, it's all really rooted in Metroid's design and it still works incredibly well in 2D, especially since they usually have more of an emphasis on platforming, which is evident in modern day 2D Metroidvania games like Ori and the Blind Forest which are just absolutely incredible.

I think that's actually something that has kind of bugged me about the Prime games. Platforming, verticality, and shooting are such important aspects of the Metroid games, and when I see third-person games like Batman or Tomb Raider, and see how kick ass an armored badass can be with a game like Vanquish, it sort of feels unfortunate that the Prime games went first-person and became associated with FPS games despite not really being one at all.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:57 AM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

Those are some good points. For me, I was intrigued by the Prime games and bought them a long time ago for the "Someday Pile", but back then I was pretty bad at navigating any first-person type of game so I was always too intimidated to actually jump in and try them. That was probably a good decision, honestly, because I'm much better at that Now than I was Then, and a lot of the issues I used to struggle with are no longer factors.

So I might actually check them out sooner rather than later. We shall see.

Old 03-16-2021, 02:59 AM   #27
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think Metroid in general may not be for everyone. I played the NES original as a kid and didn't care for it; none of my friends who had it ever had any idea what the f*ck they/we were doing, they just ran around blasting stuff until they died, then it was like "Let's do something else." But all I ever heard was how awesome the series is, and was always a bit jealous I didn't have the same experience as so many people did. So I played the original beginning-to-end a few months ago and... it's Okay. Way more frustrating than it had to be by a mile, but definitely some fun to be had. Even just a map on the Pause menu could have helped incredibly. But I can't say I loved it.

I'd been thinking about doing a "series run" since I have most of them but I've been holding off in order to get through some other stuff I knew for a fact I'd have more fun with, rather than "gamble". I'm sure Super Metroid is much better than the NES one, but I have a feeling that I just may not fall in love with the series in general. But I am glad that I own them so I can at least do a "deep dive" and make up my own mind... eventually.
Not that I have played the NES Metroid game, but it's generally considered to not have aged so well. When people talk about the great Metroid games they always mention Super Metroid and the Prime series. Notice how no one ever seems to talk about the NES game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
I actually haven't really played the Prime games either despite absolutely loving the 2D games. I played the first one briefly but it wasn't mine so I never finished it. I played some multiplayer in Echoes and Hunters and never really got into Hunters too much. The Prime Trilogy is something I would love to play one day, but it's been so long that I'm sort of just holding out for a Trilogy remaster, and if it doesn't happen by the time Metroid Prime 4 releases, then I'll just play them on Wii.

But as far as Super Metroid goes, I don't see what's not to love. It's Zelda meets Mario with a sci-fi/Alien aesthetic. Super Metroid was actually really influential to many games including Resident Evil, the Batman Arkham games, and the Tomb Raider reboot. The action adventure genre in general just really benefitted from Metroid.

The puzzle design of the environment, the platforming, the exploration, unlocking new areas with new upgrades. It's a satisfying design with an engaging gameplay loop and while modern 3D action adventure games may be more appealing today, it's all really rooted in Metroid's design and it still works incredibly well in 2D, especially since they usually have more of an emphasis on platforming, which is evident in modern day 2D Metroidvania games like Ori and the Blind Forest which are just absolutely incredible.

I think that's actually something that has kind of bugged me about the Prime games. Platforming, verticality, and shooting are such important aspects of the Metroid games, and when I see third-person games like Batman or Tomb Raider, and see how kick ass an armored badass can be with a game like Vanquish, it sort of feels unfortunate that the Prime games went first-person and became associated with FPS games despite not really being one at all.
Well, maybe it's because I've only first played Super Metroid as an adult, I dunno. Maybe if I had played it back in the day it would have left a bigger impression on me.

I DO like the game, don't get me wrong. But I don't LOVE it. I don't see it becoming a top 10 or top 20 all time favourite of mine. Since the game doesn't have levels or dungeons it's hard for menti pinpoint where I am exactly, but I'm 9 hours and 26 minutes in it on the SNES Online Switch app. So it's not like I'm in the early stages of the game. I got the grappling hook or wtv it's called and the flashlight thingy somewhat recently. And now have 6 energy tanks. How much of the game would you say I have left? I've been to the sunken ship already and beat its boss as well.

As for Prime, I kept dying in an early boss and I HATED going back to the beginning of the level or section and having to scan everything again.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:31 AM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

StarFox and StarFox 64 were two I only played for the first time a few months ago, and they were really good. I generally didn't play those kinds of games back in the day, and then after that I just kept forgetting to buy them. Really glad I finally got around to it.

I'm almost at 130 hours in Oblivion and I'm so, so glad I finally played it, even though it's played havoc with my sleep schedule (and I can't imagine when the hell I ever would have otherwise had the time to give it the attention it deserves). I played a 15-hour straight run the other day just because I had nowhere to go and nothing better to do. It was glorious.

I'm having so much fun with it that I went ahead and ordered "Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition"; I played a chunk of the "vanilla" version a few years back but got distracted, and then came back to it totally lost and gave up on it, but I did enjoy the general experience. I'm aware the Quest Journal is still a broken mess in that version but I might push through it just to experience the actual gameplay. I still have the regular version but if I do play it again I figure it may as well be the "full" version, so it seemed like a reasonable purchase.

I do regret being so "late" to the party on Elder Scrolls, but then again, as I've said I can't for the life of me figure out when there ever would have been a "better" time. These games are definitely a massive time-sink. I love it, but if you're like me and prefer to play in big chunks that can be a problem, if you have designs on pesky things like "going to bed before noon" or "waking up before 7pm" or "doing anything else at all besides play Elder Scrolls."

Old 03-16-2021, 04:07 AM   #29
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Well, maybe it's because I've only first played Super Metroid as an adult, I dunno. Maybe if I had played it back in the day it would have left a bigger impression on me.

I DO like the game, don't get me wrong. But I don't LOVE it. I don't see it becoming a top 10 or top 20 all time favourite of mine. Since the game doesn't have levels or dungeons it's hard for menti pinpoint where I am exactly, but I'm 9 hours and 26 minutes in it on the SNES Online Switch app. So it's not like I'm in the early stages of the game. I got the grappling hook or wtv it's called and the flashlight thingy somewhat recently. And now have 6 energy tanks. How much of the game would you say I have left? I've been to the sunken ship already and beat its boss as well.

As for Prime, I kept dying in an early boss and I HATED going back to the beginning of the level or section and having to scan everything again.
Metroid Fusion was probably the first major single player game that I owned and played through all by myself and I just absolutely loved it. There was something about it that was just so satisfying and different to me about it from the games I had played up until that point. It was definitely a lot harder and more confusing my first time, but that's kind of the joy of it too. It's why I love the classic Resident Evil games so much. You can spend quite a lot of time on your first run exploring everything, but your 2nd run becomes easier and so much shorter because you as a player has gotten better at navigating and memorizing solutions and routes. It's really just a giant puzzle if you strip away all the combat and fun, which is why it's such a rewarding design and I didn't really fully appreciate it until I was older and could deconstruct why I find it so engaging and fun. It's why both Resident Evil and Metroid are known for their speed running communities because they're honestly not really long games once you become familiar with them.

I didn't play Super Metroid until about 2014 though, and I've only just beat it for the third time on my 3DS a couple months ago and I honestly don't remember the order of things too well, but if I were to guess, I think the wrecked ship is just about halfway through the game and while 9 hours does seem like too long for just halfway, I at least hope you've been finding everything or almost everything up until this point because progressing towards the end shouldn't be too bad now and definitely shouldn't take you another 9 hours.

I think Super Metroid is a little more on the cryptic side and can become confusing when it comes to progressing. For instance, my last playthrough felt like I was breaking the natural sequence of events and I could never really tell what order I was meant to do things, because I was becoming more adventurous due to having played it before, but it actually got me a little lost on a few occasions. Super Metroid is still a great game and a personal favorite of mine, but Zero Mission, Samus Returns, and Metroid Fusion were definitely a lot better in terms of giving you a clear destination.

Still, in terms of 2D games, I think they're some of the most ambitious ones with how it takes whole genres and combines them. It's an adventure game like Zelda, a platformer like Mario, and a shooter like Contra. If that weren't enough, it's got some serious horror undertones, Allen being the most obvious inspiration, but also in terms of its story telling, music, and atmosphere and it turns it around by turning you into an empowering tank who can just decimate your enemies. There's a lot going on here and it's a shame it's often overlooked despite how successful the formula is elsewhere.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:36 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Metroid Fusion was probably the first major single player game that I owned and played through all by myself and I just absolutely loved it. There was something about it that was just so satisfying and different to me about it from the games I had played up until that point. It was definitely a lot harder and more confusing my first time, but that's kind of the joy of it too. It's why I love the classic Resident Evil games so much. You can spend quite a lot of time on your first run exploring everything, but your 2nd run becomes easier and so much shorter because you as a player has gotten better at navigating and memorizing solutions and routes. It's really just a giant puzzle if you strip away all the combat and fun, which is why it's such a rewarding design and I didn't really fully appreciate it until I was older and could deconstruct why I find it so engaging and fun. It's why both Resident Evil and Metroid are known for their speed running communities because they're honestly not really long games once you become familiar with them.

I didn't play Super Metroid until about 2014 though, and I've only just beat it for the third time on my 3DS a couple months ago and I honestly don't remember the order of things too well, but if I were to guess, I think the wrecked ship is just about halfway through the game and while 9 hours does seem like too long for just halfway, I at least hope you've been finding everything or almost everything up until this point because progressing towards the end shouldn't be too bad now and definitely shouldn't take you another 9 hours.

I think Super Metroid is a little more on the cryptic side and can become confusing when it comes to progressing. For instance, my last playthrough felt like I was breaking the natural sequence of events and I could never really tell what order I was meant to do things, because I was becoming more adventurous due to having played it before, but it actually got me a little lost on a few occasions. Super Metroid is still a great game and a personal favorite of mine, but Zero Mission, Samus Returns, and Metroid Fusion were definitely a lot better in terms of giving you a clear destination.

Still, in terms of 2D games, I think they're some of the most ambitious ones with how it takes whole genres and combines them. It's an adventure game like Zelda, a platformer like Mario, and a shooter like Contra. If that weren't enough, it's got some serious horror undertones, Allen being the most obvious inspiration, but also in terms of its story telling, music, and atmosphere and it turns it around by turning you into an empowering tank who can just decimate your enemies. There's a lot going on here and it's a shame it's often overlooked despite how successful the formula is elsewhere.
I bought the first ever Resident Evil remake last year when it was in sale on the eshop. I had never played a RE game before it's a good game. Haven't beaten it yet.

Speedruns never interested me much tbh.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #31
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm pretty sure the PS3 collection will still play on a PS5. They apparently worked on PS4.
PS3 games don't work on PS5.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:14 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

D'oh. Good thing I keep all my old consoles. Sucks for others though.

Old 03-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #33
ssjup81
Foot Elite

There are probably quite a few, but one that pops into mind for me is Earthbound. I've never played it. I have it now, but I never got around to playing it. Castlevania IV is another. I have the Japanese version of it, but never actually just sat down and played it. Final Fantasy VII I've never played.

Secrets of Mana, I never played properly, even though I do have it now...but it's the Japanese version. I also never finished Chrono Trigger, which is a great game! Lost the charger to my DS. I had a copy for it thanks to a friend of mine. I have the Super Famicom version too. Someday I'll go back to it and beat ir properly.

I guess, for me, mostly the RPGs. I'm most interested in those.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote