The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #21
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
Weird. From my point of view, a lot of media are focusing too much on the Mutant part of the name. In that there are too many of them. There is definitely not enough ninja stuff.
This is why my interest in the upcoming CGI movie piqued when Rogen said recently that the movie is going to focus on the 'Teenage' part of the TMNT title. That could either be a very good thing...or a very bad thing, depending on which route he takes. Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind the movie tackling some teenage related themes. (I fear he means 'teenage' as in he will litter the movie with toilet humor and sex jokes.)
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:12 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Come to think of it... can we even count Mirage as "focusing" on the Ninja side? There are some great Mirage stories where there IS ninja stuff, sure... but I feel like probably 90% of the other Mirage issues aren't about ninja stuff at all.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:21 AM   #23
Crabfight
Thug

Yup! I'm absolutely loving Sophie's post-100 run. Don't get me wrong, I do hope it eventually builds up into more action, but these calmer stories dealing with the trauma of their past conflicts are definitely a welcome change for me. I can't say I totally disagree with those who are voicing that the turtles themselves could use a bit more of a spotlight on them, but I've also really enjoyed the new characters and the careful build of the new status quo. It's definitely still by far my favorite comic on my pull list.
Crabfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:25 PM   #24
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Thing is, this Mutant Town story is not the reason why people bought the IDW TMNT in the first place, we bought it to see adventure, fighting, cool villians and ofcourse the obvious: the TMNT and their friends.
The whole Mutant Town thing is the exact opposite of why we bought it in the first place! For example: If Mutant Town was its own comic and was made instead of the TMNT IDW that we got, starting from #1 way back when IDW TMNT was released, would you think it would last over 100 issues? Nope, because TMNT fans are not interested in this, as seen in the many hate it gets.

Its like buying Spawn, you want to see him wreck people, blood and guts flying and awesome looking demons and great stories, now imagine if Spawn gets 15+ chapters of him just having a normal life with his buddies and occasionally fighting petty crime and every issue is him dating girls and getting rejected to make him a Myspace emo... yeah this wouldn't sit well with Spawn fans either.

Mutant Town is fun in small doses and not as a huge story arc for TWO FREAKING YEARS!!
I'm a huge TMNT fan and have been since the early 90s, this comic was my favourite TMNT comic and i was always hyped to read it, but even i stopped reading it and i never expected me to stop... it just felt like a chore, like homework, to read even a single page... i couldn't take it seriously at all, it felt like Deviantart fanfic or a Twitter story made into a comic.

If this Mutant Town bs stops then i'll pick it up again, bring back the original writer for the love of the fanbase...
The comic isn't selling well anymore either and that scares me because i don't want this comic to ever end.

Edit: If anyone is familliar with the manga Kyou Kare Ore Wa, the writer there did a great job with action and slice of life. It always went like this: 8-13 issue action story arc, then a 3-4 issue slice of life arc, then 8-13 action arc, then 3-4 slice of life arc again, repeat repeat.

Last edited by Mexiun; 03-27-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:41 AM   #25
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
This is why my interest in the upcoming CGI movie piqued when Rogen said recently that the movie is going to focus on the 'Teenage' part of the TMNT title. That could either be a very good thing...or a very bad thing, depending on which route he takes. Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind the movie tackling some teenage related themes. (I fear he means 'teenage' as in he will litter the movie with toilet humor and sex jokes.)
It IS Seth Rogen.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #26
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Come to think of it... can we even count Mirage as "focusing" on the Ninja side? There are some great Mirage stories where there IS ninja stuff, sure... but I feel like probably 90% of the other Mirage issues aren't about ninja stuff at all.
Like many cases tmnt is ninja in a small sense of how pop culture sees them at certain point and time. Hell Rise Turtles are just as ninja as Shuriken Sentai Ninninger who uses the phrase of “we are ninjas that don’t hide.”
Old 03-28-2021, 08:38 AM   #27
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yup that's true. I think that many of us fans have been waiting decades for a proper ninja story -- like an ongoing City at War -- and it's just never going to consistently happen. We have gotten snippets in the Image comics before the insertion of crossovers, and there were some Tales Vol. 2 moments by Tristan Jones, and a bit in IDW before it became clear the Turtles could never kill anyone. It seems that everyone who writes this series does not know how to keep it grounded. Yes it's a crazy spoof of an idea to begin with, but many fans love the "dark and gritty" ninja stuff and just want to see it consistently... and we never do. Maybe that **** is too hard to write long term? Maybe you can only do so much with the turtles having to hide forever? So many writers have tried and gotten bored of it and inserted wacky plots or original characters. Maybe it can't be done and we should all learn to draw and just do our own fan comics.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:02 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Yup that's true. I think that many of us fans have been waiting decades for a proper ninja story -- like an ongoing City at War -- and it's just never going to consistently happen. We have gotten snippets in the Image comics before the insertion of crossovers, and there were some Tales Vol. 2 moments by Tristan Jones, and a bit in IDW before it became clear the Turtles could never kill anyone. It seems that everyone who writes this series does not know how to keep it grounded. Yes it's a crazy spoof of an idea to begin with, but many fans love the "dark and gritty" ninja stuff and just want to see it consistently... and we never do. Maybe that **** is too hard to write long term? Maybe you can only do so much with the turtles having to hide forever? So many writers have tried and gotten bored of it and inserted wacky plots or original characters. Maybe it can't be done and we should all learn to draw and just do our own fan comics.
To be clear: I'm more than OK with TPTB not leaning on the "Ninja" part of the equation even 50% of the time. Or even 40% of the time. My thing is that when it IS part of the equation, it's treated deadly seriously. Like, I don't care if there is two story arcs in space or out in the woods... when it's time for the next "ninja" thing, I don't want to see anything half-assed. But it should be ingrained in their day to day routine(s).

And also, say about something like Mirage, "You guys have had enough TMNT universes that focus on the ninja!"... um, that's the only one, and it barely even did that. To set the bar even LOWER than that, and gleefully, for future TMNT projects? Yeesh. You and I have nothing to talk about, lol!
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:00 AM   #29
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I really need to catch up on my IDW turtles... i've seen bits and pieces of the current arc through previews and yeah, I need to see more to form an opinion.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:13 AM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

Issues 101-115 are basically about mutant town, with some slight plot stuff going on outside of it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #31
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I really need to catch up on my IDW turtles... i've seen bits and pieces of the current arc through previews and yeah, I need to see more to form an opinion.
Read issue 101 and then read issue 115 and you basically have the entire story so far.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #32
miru
Mad Scientist

This is more or less the same sort of atmospheric dry-spell Mirage went through after CAW and again after Splinter's death; then again, from what I've seen of 115, action is coming crawling back into the comic. Me? I actually do have a soft-spot for slower, more atmospheric arcs and storylines, especially in a comic where you can have splash panels for artwork. It's one of the very few ways they're able to lean on the "turtle" side of things.

Last edited by miru; 04-01-2021 at 02:27 PM.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #33
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Oh yeah,I can't contain my excitement for the upcoming Battle of the Bands. How zany and random.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Rahzar/Tokka fight was cool
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #35
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Rahzar/Tokka fight was cool
But cut short and sorta one-sided. I feel kinda cheated.