The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #21
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Everything was better, to be honest. Doesn't make it a great movie, but its an improvement across the board.

-Better color palette
-Better action scenes
-Casey's casting was good (wasn't written well, though)
-Bebop and Rocksteady were fun for what they were
-More focus on the Turtles
-Consistent tone; the director at least knew what kind of movie he wanted to make and stuck to it
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #22
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
-Better action scenes
-Consistent tone
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #23
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
There's also the fact that OOTS helped keep Brad Garret in his acting career. I've always liked him as an actor. Even if his Krang wasn't all that.
And yet they barely hyped either of them?
Old 08-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #24
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Hmm, how would Vin Diesel answer this question...
Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

You have to admire OotS. It's like TPTB went around and rounded up every sh*tty element of McTMNT™ they could think of into one big bucket, and then when it all ended up being a resounding, huge failure...

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-01-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #26
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You have to admire OotS. It's like TPTB went around and rounded up every sh*tty element of McTMNT™ they could think of into one big bucket, and then when it all ending up being a resounding, huge failure...

You just reminded me of one thing that really is better about it than it's predecessor:

It will forever serve as a reminder that the FW is not a greatly beloved timeless classic and TMNT can't rely on blindly emulating it for success.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #27
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Hmm, how would Vin Diesel answer this question...
Contemplate jumping from a plane, possibly to his doom?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #28
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Contemplate jumping from a plane, possibly to his doom?
Maybe star in a better movie? One that wasn't a train wreck in the wakes?
Old 10-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #29
Chris
Mad Scientist

They were both bad but at least OOTS knew what it wanted to be. 2014 was built around a few action scenes and you could literally see where they re-wrote it on the fly after the Shredder controversy (having already rewritten it after the alien blunder). It was a movie that didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. OOTS at least seemed to know it was a live action episode of the FW cartoon and, for the most part, stayed true to that. Plus, like has been said, it starred the Turtles rather than April.

The first one made me angry at the squandered potential of a live action reboot and at how stupid it was ("can't help Leo, my shell's cracked", 10 seconds later uses shell to smash an armoured vehicle). I had more fun with OOTS because it was never more or less than what it said it would be. It's not my ideal Turtles now, but as a kid I would have loved it and I can appreciate it on that level (a bit like Batman & Robin in a way).

Probably helped that I saw it in 4DX as well. First time I'd seen a movie in 4DX and still the best. The fact that it had a lot of action made it perfect for the format. It was just a really fun experience seeing it like that.

All that said, we've now proved that FW & Bay do not equal box office success. Hopefully now we can get a director with a vision for the franchise who can do a Mirage or IDW inspired movie or Netflix series.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

OotS at least paid Leo a bit more attention and respect.

Sitting here laughing lightly over that near-end scene in 2014 I just recalled, when the Turtles show up in the van and Megan Fox is all, "What are you guys doing here?!" And Leo leans out the window a little saying they thought they owed her a thanks.

Ever notice at that point she just walks right past him, to go talk to Raph, no acknowledgement whatsoever that he'd even said anything? Poor guy. How rude! (Is it too much to at least smile at the guy and pat him on the arm as you walk past??)

Had this been OotS it might at least have not ignored him and left him hanging like that. Or at the very least see his facial expression show his reaction to being ignored. 2014 was not too kind to him and appreciate that OotS at least tried harder for him.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #31
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Both bay movies are lousy, but OOtS actually accomplished one thing; For those who wanted to see the Fred Wolf characters who had been denied in previous films, we finally got them on the big screen. A terrible movie like OOtS is in my DVD collection beside the first four films for one reason and one reason only; it's as close to live action Fred wolf as we're going to get. Now, they can make as dark and gritty a TMNT film as they want, and the FW crowd is satisfied, and the rest of the fanbase doesn't have to be bothered by the 87 cartoon stuff anymore. .

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #32
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I liked it because it tried to pay tribute to the cartoon series that was a staple of my childhood. I had waited to long to see Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang on the big-screen and it finally happened. The four actors playing turtles got to appear in more scenes this time around as well. They had believable chemistry and had terrific personalities.

In terms of its box-office, what it went was exactly what happened to live-action Scooby-Doo and Smurfs films. The first movies in those franchises were box-office successes despite their negative reviews, but their sequels failed to due respectable business at the box-office. Since we're not getting a third film I can live with the fact that there was a movie that tried to follow the 1987 series. If Paramount & Nickelodeon decide to make an animated movie, then maybe it could follow the route that 2007's TMNT took, which was that it took place in the same universe as the 90's films.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #33
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I guess some people cut this movie some slack for what it tried to do, rather that the movie it actually is. The calls for all the nostalgic stuff people wanted to see were finally answered.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #34
Shellington
Foot Soldier

The first film comes off as an Amazing Spider-Man ripoff. Reptilian beings, villain schemes to mutate city, battle on tower, etc.

The second one feels more of a TMNT story, not just with drawing from the Fred Wolf cartoon (as reviled as it has become these days) but in having a decent dramatic background (Raph and Leo debate over the mutagen).
"And we're teenagers." Mikey, the Teenager
Shellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #35
Sumac
Banned

Finally has watched OOTS.
Didn't expect anything and...was pleasantly surprised!
It's basically feature length Live Action version of the Original Cartoon. And, as a fan of OT, I liked it.

Yeah, it's a dumb nonsense, with no interesting arcs or character development, but it's the closets thing to OT I had seen in years (Turtles Forever doesn't count and neither 2k12 did it for me), so it's stroke all the right spots.

Pros:
- action scenes were awesome (especially one on the plane and later);
- Turtles interactions are on point;
- Turtles are in spotlight, unlike first movie;
- no attempts at convoluted plot, everything is straightforward;
- Bebop and Rocksteady were awesome!
- Krang was awesome!
- "Puzzledrome" was an interesting idea;
- it was nice to see Turtles being recognized as a heroes, would have been interesting how it would've worked in the next movie (if there was one);

Cons:
- Turtles designs were still ugly as ****;
- Casey Jones and Shredder were useless in the movie, though Casey's fight with Foots was good;
- Mirage purists gonna cry bloody tears (and I don't care about them );

I wouldn't it even say that it is a guilty pleasure, because, production qualities are very good and movie wears on its sleeve what it is, so no delusions and deceptions. It's dumb and fun comedy action about giant turtles fighting rhino,'hog and a brain in a robot.
If someone expected heavy drama from it...LOL...

So, overall, it's much better than the first movie, though I dunno, where to put in my list of TMNT movies, since it is very different from any of them. Maybe the closest to the Secret of the Ooze.

It's not the movie I would like to see to be made, but as it is, I like it.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #36
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

If the reboot again, they need to listen to the fans, use rubber suits and follow the path set out by the first one. I think it's fair to say Return to New York would be the best story to reboot with.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #37
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
with no interesting arcs or character development
Closest to an arc imo, and honestly some of what I like more about this one, is what's going on with Leo throughout it. It's so subtle that anyone who doesn't have a tendency to pay much attention to him might not notice much other than just taking him as acting jerky on a couple of occasions if they don't really pick up on why.

The rest of it and the first film are so superficial and on the surface, I'm almost inclined to believed they only accidentally managed a subtle focus on his fear of failure, the safety and togetherness of his family and fear of failing them and rat dad's expectations on him, etc.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #38
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

What's the deal with the hashtags? OOTS was bad, but that's not even accurate. Reads like somebody is bating others into a fight.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #39
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Closest to an arc imo, and honestly some of what I like more about this one, is what's going on with Leo throughout it. It's so subtle that anyone who doesn't have a tendency to pay much attention to him might not notice much other than just taking him as acting jerky on a couple of occasions if they don't really pick up on why.
It didn't feel really important in the movie. More like a side-story or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_thebest View Post
If the reboot again, they need to listen to the fans, use rubber suits and follow the path set out by the first one. I think it's fair to say Return to New York would be the best story to reboot with.
You are really not a bright person, are you?
Who in their right mind will use suits instead of CGI in 201x?

CGI is much more versatile and gives much more freedom with creation of characters. Just because you are fapping on the first movie it doesn't mean that it is golden standard on the technical level.

If anything, Turtles in the Bay-movies were much more expressive and dynamic than in the old. The only thing that was ruining them - was their ugly and stupid design, but that is not problem of the technology, it is problem of designers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_thebest View Post
What's the deal with the hashtags? OOTS was bad, but that's not even accurate. Reads like somebody is bating others into a fight.
Like you do?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
It didn't feel really important in the movie. More like a side-story or something.
Alright, I will give you that given that it does fizzle out and doesn't culminate in much. Other than Raph smashing the mutagen vial and a short, too easy Krang fight that forgot to emphasize an attempt at better team work. (With no learning how between events.)

He's still what makes me like the film better. (And absolutely yes to the CGI lending itself to better expressiveness. There are certainly places that just make me laugh due to the look on their faces, esp when subtle, that suits will just never be able to get across.)

Though the team work issue is kinda dumb though since they did okay in the first... Guess they forgot how.

edit: Just gonna toss this link here. Little bit of old concept footage/animation (prior to filming) from the river scene included in the beginning of the video.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/23/z...nt-steppenwol/

I guess it's lucky for Leo that they decided to skip him running smack into that rock. Ouch.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-23-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Tags
bebop and cucksteady, cuckch, cucky jones, out of the cucks