The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #181
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Surely you're right about it being intentional, else that production team chooses the stupidest corners to cut. I will laugh (in a lightly pained way) when the Warthog-him has a mohawk because of a fake one he wore.

Damn that newfangled human-mutating mutagen that causes synthetic objects to merge with it's victim and become real.
(That could be rather problematic actually... lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I don't think that'll be the case though it's a relatively sound theory, but then what would be the deal with his post-mutation mohawk? The fake one fused with his head?
Well, considering that Bebop seems to be able to grow purple hair after mutation, how would this be any different?

Plus, didn't the Bay Turtles have brightly colored patches on the shells that appeared to be incorporated paint dabs? That would be the clearest 'evidence' that mutagen can make synthetic materials fuse with a living creature.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:09 PM   #182
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
Well, considering that Bebop seems to be able to grow purple hair after mutation, how would this be any different?

Plus, didn't the Bay Turtles have brightly colored patches on the shells that appeared to be incorporated paint dabs? That would be the clearest 'evidence' that mutagen can make synthetic materials fuse with a living creature.
It does that in the new cartoon too
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #183
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, I'll give you that, that the purple always transferred over entirely undisturbed; that is some serious hair dye. Or maybe off screen he was doing a weekly touch-up with purple hair dye.

I don't recall if the regular Turtles were marked, I know the toy in the Leo and Raph sets were. I think as mutants it's kanji symbols simply painted on them though. Or in Mikey's case just what looks like graffiti (and I question who did this to him because he can't exactly reach). He's the only one with paint dabs in some sense as far as I recall.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #184
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Well, I'll give you that, that the purple always transferred over entirely undisturbed; that is some serious hair dye. Or maybe off screen he was doing a weekly touch-up with purple hair dye.
I think in IDW, it even went to his eyebrows, so it's why I think it somehow 'imprints.' However, you could be right about the touch ups, I might have be thinking too far into left field and simply overlooking something that simple. I know dyed hair takes months to grow out completely, so he might only have to do it once every few months.

Quote:

I don't recall if the regular Turtles were marked, I know the toy in the Leo and Raph sets were. I think as mutants it's kanji symbols simply painted on them though. Or in Mikey's case just what looks like graffiti (and I question who did this to him because he can't exactly reach). He's the only one with paint dabs in some sense as far as I recall.
I don't think it was kanji markings, it looked like splotches of blue, purple, orange and red paint on the shells. They were dabs on the baby turtles to tell them apart in the lab, but somehow the splotch became a colored marking that looked like it ad become part of the Turtle.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:37 AM   #185
letscook89
Foot Soldier

Nope the painted symbols aren't the paint dobs from the lab. See this footage of the turtles as kids, they don't have any paint on their shells (see leo, because the other shells are hiden).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDzztivsJIc

Plus it would be stupid if a simple paint abs would change into a japanese symbol through the mutation. For me each turtle painted his brother's shell, because he can't do it itself.
letscook89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:26 AM   #186
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Not intended to try to debate ya on the matter or anything, just got me curious to go try to take a better look.

It's not easy to get a good shot of them from behind, at least not in the clips I looked through. Esp Leo who didn't want to cooperate in what I looked at, almost always too dark, bad angle, or the shot cuts away from him JUST too soon. Grr.

Got one blurry shot of his though, and a poster has it more clearly. His is simple and just matches his mask; the first symbol looks like it's prob largely hidden under his scabbards. Mikey, graffiti (of which I'd like to see better and know if it says anything). Raph, I'm not sure... messy kanji? Donnie, it's not a snub not being included, I just did not see where there was anything on him, but with all the gear on his back anyhow I'm not surprised.

Spoiler:

Now I'm curious about who the "artist" of each is (esp Mikey's), since they can't reach themselves, despite the "style" of each being kind of reflective of them.

Spoiler:
OH, and I think I noticed a little "oops"... after Mikey punches his fist through the roof of the SUV, his skateboard - that he'd put on his back moments before - is gone, and still gone in the next shot of him and doesn't look to be there anywhere. But it's on his back once again in the avalanche when he and Raph are still hanging onto the SUV.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #187
letscook89
Foot Soldier

Yes I noticed that sin too with the missing skateboard ^^.
I like the turtles designs but agaain, they have too much stuff and details : tattoos, scars, colored symbols and of course all these useless gears ad clothes. Hope they will reduce their stuff in the sequel.
letscook89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 PM   #188
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook89 View Post
Yes I noticed that sin too with the missing skateboard ^^.
I like the turtles designs but agaain, they have too much stuff and details : tattoos, scars, colored symbols and of course all these useless gears ad clothes. Hope they will reduce their stuff in the sequel.
Honestly way too much crap. Hell, the less crap the animator have to keep track of, the less likely they are to forget things in-between shots.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #189
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
^ THIS

The problem with Bebop is that he looks ridiculous, and not in the good way. If this were a movie from the 80s/90s, I'd be more forgiving of how he looks. But this is a movie being made in the 21st Century, and he looks cheesy as heck. Especially with that ridiculous Mohawk.

Some things just don't translate well into a live action setting.
It's a guy with a purple Mohawk. He looked silly back then and he looks silly now. Even if it was in the 80s it would still look silly. Because it's a guy with a purple Mohawk.

As I said, there's no pleasing people. You try to stick with the original look and people will say it's cheesy and outdated. You change it, and people whine that he doesn't look like the original.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #190
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
It's a guy with a purple Mohawk. He looked silly back then and he looks silly now. Even if it was in the 80s it would still look silly. Because it's a guy with a purple Mohawk.

As I said, there's no pleasing people. You try to stick with the original look and people will say it's cheesy and outdated. You change it, and people whine that he doesn't look like the original.
In the cartoon the Mohawk works fine. But in live action, especially this movie, the look in generally just looks terrible. But considering the people involved I shouldn't be surprised at this.

I'm sure if any other team besides this one was working on a TMNT movie and decided to add Bebop and Rocksteady, he'd look better. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #191
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Just google purple Mohawks and you can see that the look works just fine.

So don't be a damn moron and spew the same "no pleasing people" BS. The wig piece Williams is wearing looks bad and not convincing, not the Purple Mohawk look itself.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #192
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

So don't be a damn moron and spew the same "no pleasing people" BS. The wig piece Williams is wearing looks bad and not convincing, not the Purple Mohawk look itself.
I've seen thrift store Halloween costumes that look more convincing than that purple POS they picked.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #193
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

I know you're known for being rude on this forum, but you can just chill out and quit the name calling. It doesn't make your point any more valid.

I see it all the time online and it is difficult to please people. I know you can't please everyone, but it's always annoying to see the same ones who will complain when even the slightest change is made.

Yeah the Mohawk can be better. So what? Why don't we try and see if the character actually acts like Bebop rather than talk about his purple Mohawk?
Old 09-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #194
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:

Yeah the Mohawk can be better. So what? Why don't we try and see if the character actually acts like Bebop rather than talk about his purple Mohawk?
So we're suppose to just accept this quite frankly disappointing look for Bebop when they could have put in more effort to actually make him look cooler? No thanks.

Besides, I can already call what's gonna happen. Somehow PD will make him and Rocksteady look like a bigger pair of jokes than they already were in the Fred Wolf show, and up their stupidity by 20. So basically we'll be getting Skids and Mudflap 2.0.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #195
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
So we're suppose to just accept this quite frankly disappointing look for Bebop when they could have put in more effort to actually make him look cooler? No thanks.

Besides, I can already call what's gonna happen. Somehow PD will make him and Rocksteady look like a bigger pair of jokes than they already were in the Fred Wolf show, and up the their stupidity by 20. So basically we'll be getting Skids and Mudflap 2.0.
You can or can't if you want. I just don't think debating about his purple Mohawk is essential. I've seen characters that look stupid but act decent. I'm more interested on what kind of character he is and how he'll interact with others rather than talk about the authenticity of his Mohawk.

Maybe PD will ruin him and maybe they won't. I wouldn't be surprised but we'll never know until we watch it.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #196
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
You can or can't if you want. I just don't think debating about his purple Mohawk is essential. I've seen characters that look stupid but act decent. I'm more interested on what kind of character he is and how he'll interact with others rather than talk about the authenticity of his Mohawk.

Maybe PD will ruin him and maybe they won't. I wouldn't be surprised but we'll never know until we watch it.
It's a matter of trust and betrayal.

When Bane looked funky in The Dark Knight Rises, we trusted Nolan because of the stellar badass Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

When Groot and Rocket Racoon sound like idiotic concepts, we trust Marvel because they've successfully translated Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and The Hulk to the big screen.

When Bebop looks idiotic in TMNT 2, we know we're in for the same $hit$torm of halfassery that was Platinum Dunes' TMNT 1.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #197
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It's a matter of trust and betrayal.

When Bane looked funky in The Dark Knight Rises, we trusted Nolan because of the stellar badass Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

When Groot and Rocket Racoon sound like idiotic concepts, we trust Marvel because they've successfully translated Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and The Hulk to the big screen.

When Bebop looks idiotic in TMNT 2, we know we're in for the same $hit$torm of halfassery that was Platinum Dunes' TMNT 1.
I don't see it as betrayal. It's just one of many versions of the characters. We have a whole library of versions to choose and like. It's not like this version completely destroys the original Bebop from our memories and we'll never get to see it ever again. The original will always be there to enjoy.

There's many versions of characters. Some are a hit and some are a miss. Will this be a miss? Well I wouldn't be surprised if it was a miss but we can debate all day and we'll never know until we actually see it.

This isn't the end of TMNT, not by a longshot. Even if it is a miss, there will be others than can potentially improve such characters, appearance and personality-wise.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #198
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Can we really expect any good to come from a character, when even the hair piece used on him looks faker then the rodent that died on Trump.

Sure, Williams could be good, but he still looks like he is walking around with a sponge glued to his head. It does not look like actual hair on his scalp. And so far that's all we got to go by, and it's not reassuring.

And, it may not be the end off TMNT, but a bad enough movie can be the end of the TMNT film franchise, just look how long it took between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins.

Or, the catastrophe that is the 1987 Masters of the Universe, which ended up so bad it ruined the franchise's future film opportunity. Just recently there's been talk about a new movie adaptation.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #199
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Yeah his Mohawk isn't very authentic.

All is lost.

This wouldn't be the first time TMNT declined and it won't be the last. It would be best if we focused on his personality rather than his hair.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #200
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I don't see it as betrayal. It's just one of many versions of the characters. We have a whole library of versions to choose and like. It's not like this version completely destroys the original Bebop from our memories and we'll never get to see it ever again. The original will always be there to enjoy.

There's many versions of characters. Some are a hit and some are a miss. Will this be a miss? Well I wouldn't be surprised if it was a miss but we can debate all day and we'll never know until we actually see it.

This isn't the end of TMNT, not by a longshot. Even if it is a miss, there will be others than can potentially improve such characters, appearance and personality-wise.
Never said it was the end of TMNT. It is, however, likely the end of good TMNT movies. Which, to my mind, we've never gotten although 1990 was the best of the lot.

Transformers apparently lives on in its comics and toys, but the movies are just big dumb monstrosities. TMNT movies are going the same way.

When intellectual property is farmed out for mass marketing, you trust the marketers to improve and expand your product. Not to defecate on it and piss off your buyers.

Tags
bebop, rocksteady