The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-15-2024, 10:26 PM   #21
TurtleManiac
Stone Warrior

These do look pretty cool, are they the same size as the vintage 1988 figures but just re-done with added articulation etc? I wonder if they plan on re-creating the whole first wave.

Also noticed Leo has the angry look, while the actual vintage Leo facial expression looks scared/sad. I always wondered about that, why they chose that weird facial expression for ‘88 Leo, maybe it was a factory mistake? Like the two eyes were somehow reversed accidentally? If you swap the eyes positions on the vintage figure it looks much better, maybe that was the original sculpt but somehow got mixed up at the factory and the eyes came out reversed, who knows.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24478755@N08/
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:32 AM   #22
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I'm certainly very interested in getting them, though I'd like a closer look. I am wondering just how their articulation upgrades compare to MotU Origins. Even if they don't quite stand up, it still looks like they are probably worth getting.
Absolutely bet that the feet will peg into each rooftop component....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:04 AM   #23
Bran The Man
Thug

I thought I was done collecting 1987 TMNT figures, but I may have to get these!

My only gripes are Don & Leo's heads being switched. I didn't noticed it until someone on social media pointed it out to me, now I can't unsee it. Hopefully that was just for this picture.

Also, I find the color-coded weapons a bit odd as well. That's something that's more in line with the 2003 Turtles.
Bran The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:23 AM   #24
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
They switched Leo and Donny's heads from the original versions. That alone has convinced me to get them.

I hope they do more characters.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:52 AM   #25
Shortfuse
Foot Soldier

I'd love to see April, Casey, Slash and Krang in his android body in this line (if there's a second wave it'll probably have April, Splinter, Shredder, Bebop, Rocksteady and a Foot Soldier) - I also hope they come to the UK - maybe someone like The Whole Shebang will have them - they've just announced they'll have the new classic-style 4-pack of the original Turtles.

Shortfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:14 PM   #26
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
They switched Leo and Donny's heads from the original versions. That alone has convinced me to get them.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:26 PM   #27
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Pretty sure this has something to do with it:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/arc...p/t-37356.html
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:11 PM   #28
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Pretty sure this has something to do with it:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/arc...p/t-37356.html
Ah... though in this case, at least from how it looks in that blurry photo, they didn't just switch the heads, but also just got rid of the sad eyes altogether, so even if they hadn't have switched the heads, Leo still wouldn't have those sad eyes (at least if I'm interpreting the photo correctly).
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:23 PM   #29
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:27 PM   #30
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Ok, definitely excited but MY GOODNESS who greenlit that texture? It looks terrible! Swivel ankles is of course very disappointing as well but not at all unexpected coming from Playmates. Should probably just be happy there's any articulation there at all.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:50 PM   #31
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

These are just a mess... I want to be supportive of Playmates but they make it so hard. At least I am "relatively" happy with their Mutant Mayhem figure output. These are a big miss for me, though since they are only 12.99 each I may still try to get them if they aren't hard to order online. Still, ugh.

All they had to do was straight up COPY what Mattel has done with MotU Origins... the blueprint is already there, and they would have a lot of fans excited and buying up the figures like crazy.

The problem is Playmates is just creatively bankrupt. Something stinks in their talent pool, rather it's leadership or the people they are hiring to do designing, or all of the above... they need an overhaul.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 02:20 PM   #32
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Ok, definitely excited but MY GOODNESS who greenlit that texture? It looks terrible! Swivel ankles is of course very disappointing as well but not at all unexpected coming from Playmates. Should probably just be happy there's any articulation there at all.
looks like these turtles have inherited WARTS. WTH were they thinking??
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:37 PM   #33
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the skin texture either. They look more like divots which is a very odd, ugly choice. It looks too busy.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:52 PM   #34
IMJ
Emperor

Going for that Mezco texture or what?
Old 04-03-2024, 05:24 PM   #35
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Should have just done the texture and detail like the old movie figures but without the big spots. They went overboard with these.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:01 PM   #36
Galactus
Foot Elite

So I'm not a big collector. I have neither the time or the money to collect every TMNT thing out there. I just buy what really interests me; this would have interested me if not for that horrible skin texture. I tried to keep an open with the first picture but this went from a must buy to hard pass.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:33 PM   #37
Snowglare
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
All they had to do was straight up COPY what Mattel has done with MotU Origins... the blueprint is already there, and they would have a lot of fans excited and buying up the figures like crazy.
Seriously. I never expected these to be for me, but I thought they had an easy hit on their hands. People love Origins, they love the MOTU/TMNT line, there's a whole retro universe out there. All Playmates had to do was be compatible. Y'know, like the original line was.

I don't suppose we'll ever see what would've come next. Step two of this line's potential success was putting effort into a full line, adding that little bit of quasi-modern articulation to sculpts of other characters to truly make this their "Origins" line. Now, these'll probably bomb and we won't even see half-assed attempts at anyone else. Just another set of gimmick turtles, not even as appealing as the First Turtle set.
Snowglare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:38 PM   #38
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

I mean...I do like those bases. So that's something?
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:40 PM   #39
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Oof. Maybe seeing these in hand will change my mind, but what an odd choice.

Mad Hatter's newest video on the subject is great, haha.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:47 PM   #40
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglare View Post
but I thought they had an easy hit on their hands.
My initial thoughts as well. But leave it to Playmates, man. They can screw up anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
I mean...I do like those bases. So that's something?
That is true - if these eventually go to clearance or the line continues passed these, then bare minimum the rooftop is cool.